Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is deadspace supposed to be scary?

Potato?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • King Comrade

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zomg

Arbiter
Draq said:
Restarting the propulsion and asteroid defences while in a spacecraft pummelled by rocks seem like perfectly good ideas to me. Sending out a distress call doesn't seem half bad either, except it did make things worse and it was kind of predictable in meta sense, but not necessarily in character.

Yeah I mean in a pure game "meta" (not narrative) sense. The whole idea of the ship blowing up at some point and the protagonist being an engineer is disconnected from what the game is actually about.

If the damage state of the ship were simulated and it could blow up inside the gameplay proper instead of just by narrative fiat, navigating around and hitting critical buttons and activating elevators to new sections or w/e wouldn't seem like checking off storyline boxes. But I guess you couldn't structure the game like a corridor shooter then!

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
this is a survival horror game, they deliberately make the controls a bit clunky, it's supposed to build tension

Yes of course.
Nothing to do with it being made for a gamepad :roll:

No of course not. There's plenty of console ports with great controls on PC. Fuck, I thought everyone knew one of the main 'features' of survival horror games is crappy controls? Not that DS is crappy, just not FPS/TPS snappy.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
DraQ said:
AlaCarcuss said:
About the controls and percieved 'clunky-ness' - this is a survival horror game, they deliberately make the controls a bit clunky, it's supposed to build tension.
No. Deliberately clunky controls mean something like first Penumbra. Here there was combination of movement key I could not reassign (which for me is a sufficient reason to want the person responsible be killed with fire if it happens in a modern game, as I'm a southpaw and massive experience available today allows no excuses here) and tell-tale soft and slightly laggy aiming, which didn't really hinder me, but was annoying as it felt as if I downed several beers without experiencing the upsides.

All in all the game was really good for what it was, too bad that with the retarded DRM scheme it had no sane person would buy it.

Ok, I see what the problem is here. A well known issue with the DS port regarding mouse lag and the fix is - turn off vsync in the game settings - but then you MUST force it on in your graphics card settings. I.E. to eliminate mouse lag, the game must have vsync on, but only via your video driver.

Also, WTF with control re-mapping?? I can re-map the keys just fine - perhaps it was fixed with a patch?

DraQ

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
Also, WTF with control re-mapping?? I can re-map the keys just fine - perhaps it was fixed with a patch?
Yes, except for the primary movement keys WSAD. Which are on the left side of the keyboard. I have to use them with my right hand while sitting in some retardedly convoluted and uncomfortable position.

I can accept this kind of stuff in Terra Nova or System Shock 1, because they are sufficiently old and sufficiently awesome. Here its sufficient reason for choking the person responsible with a dick so hard it would shatter his cervical vertebrae.

SoupNazi

By the way, could anyone who finished it narrate the plot (including the ending) for me? I can't bring myself to play the actual game because of the shitty controls, but I was actually kinda drawn in by the story.

SoupNazi

Right. What happened to the wife / do we know what started the mutations?

Some sort of ancient contraption they found and reverse-engineered...

At the start of the game he was drawn to the place due to a message sent by his wife, and all throughout the game you're trying to track her down... and you see her from time to time. Then at one point you see the full recording that she sent, and it shows her putting a pistol to the head and pulling the trigger (or something of the likes, I haven't played the game in a long time) and it is then revealed that the wife you've been chasing after has been a manifestation of the device and it wants to return to the device because the manifestation is apparently the part of the device which would shut it off / work correctly and end the madness, but no such luck is had and the game ends with you fighting a giant sand worm-like enemy with quick time events up the arse.

The end.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Played this shit for about 20 minutes and uninstalled.

Terrible controls, sluggishness just pieces me the fuck off, it doesn't add anything to the atmosphere of a, supposedly, survival horror game. The worst part is the plot, which had potential but turned out to be shit add to that the fact that, as most of you have already said, these developers seem to think that startling the fuck out of the player is anything else than obnoxious.

SoupNazi

Stereotypical Villain said:

Ah. I see. Thanks. That's not so bad, I mean, it could've been worse. Too bad the game lacked in the game department.

baronjohn

Cipher
I liked DS. It was pretty, scary for a while and reasonably challenging, but the game lacked any sort of subtlety and it was obviously made with 12 year old retards in mind despite having a number of nice ideas.

Zomg

Arbiter
Have any modern games tried to do something like The Body of the Many from SS2? I was thinking about it the other day and TBotM was just not doable in that engine, the game is in the Daggerfall "uh this was a cool idea bros but shit sucks" zone at that point. Then you're in a room shooting floating five-point-stars for some reason.

I ask because DS cost a billion dollars and they didn't ape TBotM even though it was basically an SS2 parody.

Zomg

Arbiter
Simultaneously an RE4, SS2, Event Horizon and probably some other shit clone.

Chuftie

Augur
I put on Highway to the Dangerzone and played it as an action game. :D

Then again the stupid dismemberment mechanic kinda killed the whole horror aspect for me

lightbane

Arcane
Stereotypical Villain said:
Some sort of ancient contraption they found and reverse-engineered...

At the start of the game he was drawn to the place due to a message sent by his wife, and all throughout the game you're trying to track her down... and you see her from time to time. Then at one point you see the full recording that she sent, and it shows her putting a pistol to the head and pulling the trigger (or something of the likes, I haven't played the game in a long time) and it is then revealed that the wife you've been chasing after has been a manifestation of the device and it wants to return to the device because the manifestation is apparently the part of the device which would shut it off / work correctly and end the madness, but no such luck is had and the game ends with you fighting a giant sand worm-like enemy with quick time events up the arse.

The end.

Your forgot that logically there are corporations plus an incredibly evil and retarded Scientology-like cult that started the whole mess. Oh, and it has been confirmed that Dead Space 2 will feature the main character, so he lives.

Felix

Arcane
Glorified "you are dead lol game over" is what I hate the most in game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom