Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

• Total voters

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I consider Arcanum one of the best RPGs ever, for its reactivity and character system. The combat was nothing to write home about, neither was the story. But it was the first game ever where I would come up with character concepts, and I don't mean just stats, but actual characters, and I had the means to sketch out these characters through the game's character generation system. This is something few RPGs and "RPGs" have.

Pretty much the same can be said about New Vegas, so it's an entertaining RPG in my book. Additionally, I like the Western setting.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If you think the UI gets the job done (as opposed to something that was designed for a PC with an actual mouse and keyboard) then you are clearly a console braindead moron. No wonder you can't appreciate good things when you've lived all your life in filth.

Elaborate on how the UI doesn't get the job done.

Otherwise, your opinion is literally "I don't like UI".

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's more than an action game. It has lots of reactivity, but it's down to the player to care about it.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
New Vegas is a shit action game actually. Replacing all combat with Alpha Protocol or Bloolines combat would massively improve that game and it says a lot about it.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I enjoyed combat in New Vegas more than Bloodlines. At least there was a lot of weapon variety and shot types and you could disarm and cripple enemies with well placed shots.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
There's no sensible excuse not to, and if you play on console, lel.

The UI is not perfect, but at least it gets the job done fairly well. It's literally a matter of scaling it down, which is more than I can say about that other game's UI.

If you think the UI gets the job done (as opposed to something that was designed for a PC with an actual mouse and keyboard) then you are clearly a console braindead moron. No wonder you can't appreciate good things when you've lived all your life in filth.

I salute you, good sir. It is nice to see people with some class speaking up for a change. We need to fight back against these hordes of children, retards, and monkey savages.

Elaborate on how the UI doesn't get the job done.

Otherwise, your opinion is literally "I don't like UI".

Any sort of UI would get the job done. But there are UIs that get it done well and are meant for civilized people who want GUIs optimized for civilized PC use, and then the shitty console port UIs made for savages who use controllers and are not smart enough to be civilized. These retards probably use an abacus to do math with, and eat food with a sharpened stick. And light fires by doing the old twirley stick savage method. The probably still worship the thunder gods and sacrifice their foreskin to earth mother spirit.

Civilized GUis allow people to rebind all hotkeys, have a GUI real rpg inventory and not a savage console pre-dating homo sapiens list inventory, have all the information you could want on the screen, have good maps, have a minimap, all functions are configurable, and almost everything can be done in a couple simple clicks or key presses.

Savage console UIs require at least 70 thousand clicks just to change one piece of equipment. Sure you can get what you want done. But not quickly or efficiently.

The difference is tantamount to hunting for your dinner with a spear, and having to gut it, skin it, prepare it however it is done, and then cook it on a fire OR just going to a super market and buying food like a civilized person living in a civilized world.

The good way, the civilized way, the easy way for smart people with some taste and class OR the monkey savage way for barbarian monkey savages and their oldest technology in the world no remapping, savagely retardedly set up, inefficient, shitty monkey UI shit for retards that nothing can be done easily with.

If this isn't instantly apparent and obvious to you, and you really needed it to be explained, guess what group you belong to? Now you reply with Yabba Dabba Doo bleatings, ugga booga et al, and this will be confirmed and like most savages you are probably happy being a dumb animal because ignorance is bliss and being civilized enough to fit into a modern society with manners, tact, common courtesy, thinking, reasoning, considering others, etc, is just too much for all your children, retards, and monkey savages to handle.

Roqua

Prospernaut
I enjoyed combat in New Vegas more than Bloodlines. At least there was a lot of weapon variety and shot types and you could disarm and cripple enemies with well placed shots.

You could disarm and cripple enemies in Bloodlines with Vampire magic. And do a bunch of other shit with it too. And Bloodlines wasn't a shitty spinoff of a much better series. Even if you consider it redemption 2, it would be way, way better in a every possible way than it's original series.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
New Vegas is a shit action game actually. Replacing all combat with Alpha Protocol combat would massively improve that game and it says a lot about it.

oh-the-horror-1.gif

Mozg

Arcane
He's right you know.

Even AP crosses a higher bar of "well it's an RPG... what do you expect" action competence.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I resisted playing New Vegas for the longest time, due to my deep hatred for FO3. Finally bought it last year, ended up putting 177 hours into it, enjoying it quite a bit! Still, I'm going with 'It's better than Bethesda's attempts, but still doesn't live up to the originals.' It's like with Star Wars. This last one was pretty good, after the disappointments of the prequel films, but was it as good as Empire? Fuck no.

RIP Fallout, 1997-2003.

Last edited:

valcik

Arcane
The fact is that F:NV had a bigger team of artists to work on minute details, more graphic fidelity, etc.
Nah, 3D animations used for rendering 2D sprites in old Fallout were top-notch quality, with motion-capture and whatnot. Authors have had to downscale it due to simple fact that the game was intended to run in 640x480 pixels resolution, so comparing it with todays graphics rendered without any limitations and running in higher resolutions is not fair. I've played first Fallout on my 13" monochromatic IBM monitor back then.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Fallout: New Vegas, is the best Fallout even with the game engine and label that it's published by Bethesda.

Anything can look amazing with the best conditions, but New Vegas is the best despite being in less than favorable conditions.

Seeing this topic makes me want to play it again soon.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
New Vegas is a shit action game actually. Replacing all combat with Alpha Protocol or Bloolines combat would massively improve that game and it says a lot about it.
Alpha Protocol is a bit too much, but yeah, New Vegas totally sucks as an action game. It's a much better RPG than it is a shooter.

One thing that I really disliked about New Vegas was how badly S.P.E.C.I.A.L. was handled, though. It might actually be my biggest gripe about the game, because of how little impact the attributes really have on your character. In FO1 and FO2 you could create a character that was really weak, nearly blind or just a complete moron, and that was one of the coolest things about them. In New Vegas you can't really have such weaknesses because how the stats work. Basically, the score of 1 in an attribute somewhat resembles a normal human being, and every point beyond that just adds to your superhuman capabilities: being able to carry enough junk to feed an entire nation, having a radar that allows you to spot enemies from miles away, being able to kill even more people in V.A.T.S. without them being able to fight back... Charisma is nearly useless in dialogue because skills determine almost everything, low intelligence affects some dialogues here and there but doesn't prevent you from being a master scientist, agility has no effect on your moving speed even though it the game claims that it does, making it a possible dump stat for melee characters... Sawyer's mod was an improvement on this, but it's still one area where they pretty much dropped the ball. Of course, Bethesda is the original culprit here, too.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
UI in Fallout wasn't so great.
No, but for example the character screen was infinitely better than the newer abomination where you have to cycle through half-a-dozen pages to get the same amount of information you could get with a single glance in FO1. There's also generally a lot more inventory management in New Vegas, and a proper mouse-driven UI would've made it a bit less painful to deal with. FO1's inventory was shit, but you usually weren't carrying enough stuff for it to become an actual problem.

It's unfortunate that console-friendly font sizes and unintuitive mouse-keyboard hybrid user interfaces are the industry standard nowadays.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
New Vegas is a shit action game actually. Replacing all combat with Alpha Protocol combat would massively improve that game and it says a lot about it.

oh-the-horror-1.gif

Even if AP combat was mediocre it was more complex than running backwards and shooting in the general direction of the enemy. In fact I struggle to think about a single mainstream FPS/TPS with worse combat.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Civilized GUis [...] have a minimap
The hell they do.

What are you one of those technophobes? You hate technology? What possible reason would a new game have for not having a minimap? People are dumb and like to waste time opening a map manually instead of having it open out of the way on the screen? The only reason is it would be too small to be useful on a console game, so that is a console only issue. Or, are you one of those weirdos that chases this immersion nonsense and you want your completely ridiculous and not believable at all world to suck your monkey mind in but not having clutter on your monitor screen (or most likely TV in you guy's case)?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Even if AP combat was mediocre it was more complex than running backwards and shooting in the general direction of the enemy. In fact I struggle to think about a single mainstream FPS/TPS with worse combat.

The combat in AP is not mediocre, is awful. F:NV combat is also bad, but not that bad. The difference between the two lies in moment to moment gameplay. Playing AP feels like playing a game whose developers tried to implement the basic gameplay of a popamole game, but failed. Nothing works. While playing F:NV feels like playing a simplistic, but functional, shooter. Of course, F:NV has other redeeming qualities that makes you endure its bad combat. Instead of walking across linear corridors filled with brain dead guards you can explore a huge world to shoot bandits, soldiers, insects, robots, deathclaws, etc. And I’m not even considering the perks, the absence of horrible time-wasting minigames, etc.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
New Vegas is a fun action game, not a good RPG.

First, we must define RPG.

It's much more of an action game than a role playing game. The quests pretty much all consisted of kill & fetch/kill, as for role playing, very few quests had an outcome of your making, were extremely linear and at the very best they were either A or B choices which had little or no affect on the world, besides for joining a faction. Game was fun, I liked the voice acting and had some memorable characters but has less than an ounce of what made the original games great.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom