Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Gladius (Lucasarts GCN/PS2/Xbox) worth $12?

deuxhero

Arcane
Curious if it would be a decent buy, the reviews seem generally positive.

I had it, but after awhile, battles get incredibly long and boring. So it depends on your patience.

obediah

Erudite
The combat was okay, but not terribly complex. If I remember correctly there was a little bit of thumb mashing involved, where you could do extra damage if you timed your button pressing right.

The thing that killed it for me was the level scaling. The level of your opponents seamed to be based on the level and number of gladiators in your guild - not what was on the battle field. I wanted a large guild so I could field teams specialized for each fight, and quickly found myself in fights I couldn't win. Maybe if i'd been an expert button masher...

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
It's an OK game, I'd say it's worth the money, though I doubt you'll finish it because it gets repetitious. The game is mostly a rock-paper-scissor system, and it does run a bit "slow", which is why it can get pretty dull later on. I think that if a character dies, he's dead for good, too, which is cool, though that might just be on the random map.

Aothan

Magister
wow Gladius is going back a few years. How much you enjoy the game depends on your playstyle disposition. If you need to use the most powerful classes and abilities or conversely cannot stand to use less than optimum classes then you will find the game a bit easy (and possibly boring) after a while.

If however you are happy to avoid the more overpowered elements while making the most of other more balanced yet still effective selections, then the game's (possible) potential shines through.

"Possible" because it can still be a bit easy, with the AI not being a demanding as it shoudl be. In fact balance issues are a bit prominent on even core class selections. So yeah.

Anyway, it was fun, balance would have helped a lot. After I had finsihed it I heard there is a 'cheat' that raises the level of the AI competitors, which is actually a really good option to have. If I were to play again the AI would be raised by two or more levels to make them more challenging.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Haha. I wrote an FAQ for this game on GameFAQs years ago.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nope. And honestly, all I did for that FAQ was compile a bunch of stuff I pulled from the message boards. I at least made sure to ask for permission and credited people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom