Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is it worth to play NWN2 main campaign?

Should I skip NWN2 main campaign?

• Total voters

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
My main evaluation criteria for RPGs in the quality of grass. If a game has nice meadows or fields, it is worth playing. NWN2 has a passable quality of grass. A bit better than average from that time.

HOWEVER. It has absolutely lovely fairy tale-like night skybox full of shimmering stars. Therefore, I have to recommend even the otherwise overwrought and undercooked OC of NWN2.

You wanna pass some of that grass my way?

pazzpazz

Novice
I remember first time I played NWN2 was at least 5 years ago:deathclaw:,but I never finish it.......

Now I just wanna "finish" this game,I heard good about Mask of the Betrayer, should I just skip the main campaign ?

And is Mask of the Betrayer really that good?

Any opinion will be helpful thanks:thumbsup:

Thanks guys I decide give main campaign a try.

Before now i just mess around with new vegas (well part of the reason is the frontier mod that bring me back to mojave, and I still keep my 200+mods MO2)
Consider I saved GoodSpring from power gangers at least 10 times...... I really should try something new:hmmm:

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
The OC is garbage tier, written at a 12 year old level and the companions are ice-pick-in-the-ear cringe. Worse than Skyrim even. The engine was 'not bad' for the era, and it was a shame that there weren't many good custom campaigns written for it.

Gargaune

Magister
NWN2's OC might be worth it out of historical curiosity or if you're pathologically obsessive about continuity leading up to the expansion. Maybe give it a first go if you're really bored, but do not push yourself to complete it, you can just read a plot synopsis before moving on or simply ignore the couple of times it it gets referenced in MotB.

Yes.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
A lot of people like to shit on NWN2 OC. It's not great or anything, but it's also not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.
Play it and judge for yourself, if you don't like it drop it. Simple as.

Yosharian

Arcane
Now I just wanna "finish" this game,I heard good about Mask of the Betrayer, should I just skip the main campaign ?

NWN2 is just average, it's a somewhat fun romp I guess but really nothing special.

The main reason to play it is to understand the origin of your character in MOTB. Which, yes, is as good as everyone says.

The main campaign is barely passable 15% of the time and utter trash 85% of the time. Building characters is fun at least.

The game runs horribly on Windows 10 so be prepared to install a script extender if you do play it.

I still have a soft spot for the game. Can’t explain why.

purupuru

Learned
It's not something to be taken seriously but some of the characters are cute, especially Neeshka.
At least I managed to finish it, which is more than what I can say about the main campaign of NWN1.

The Jester

Cipher
My main evaluation criteria for RPGs in the quality of grass. If a game has nice meadows or fields, it is worth playing. NWN2 has a passable quality of grass. A bit better than average from that time.

HOWEVER. It has absolutely lovely fairy tale-like night skybox full of shimmering stars. Therefore, I have to recommend even the otherwise overwrought and undercooked OC of NWN2.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
it's the most "mundane" experience I've ever had with a fantasy game.
You didn't play NWN's original campaign, did you?
I was a huge fan of NWN, as in persistent worlds and fan-made modules - certainly among my best gaming experiences.

NWN1 OC was meh, but I actually enjoyed it. The music and atmosphere were fantastic, and some parts of the campaign even memorable (Blacklake).

The Jester

Cipher
but from memory I feel like NWN had slightly less bland characters?.
:what:
The characters in NWN 2 although shallow, were ridiculous and over the top and this silliness made them at least some degree of memorable.
like I can look back and remember : Ah yes that dwarf monk guy, ah yes that edgy warlock guy, ah yes the big bad black armor guy.
What about OC? Aaaaa the lady text to speech Aribeth? or that ahhh half orc guy with honor? or that thief halfling guy?
Interaction with OC characters is like having sex with corpses.

Testownia

The OC campaign also underlines just how much of a raw deal the protagonist of the first OC got, since all of his achievements were either erased or attributed to somebody else.

Oh, I forgot just HOW bad the first game's main character got shafted:
1. Aribeth, one potential love interest, either in Hell and/or pounded by the protagonist of the expansions (possibly in a threesome with a sexy Tiefling/Drow).
2. Banished from the city.
3. All his accomplishments either covered up or forgotten.
4. Literally not a single one of his companions join him in exile.
5. Is mentioned, I think, once, in the sequel?
6. If romancing a different companion, they also let him go into exile solo.

Now I wish they made another expansion about THIS GUY.

Perkel

Arcane
Just go straight to Mask of The Betrayer.

NWN2 OC is barely upgrade to NWN1 OC.

MOTB is Planescape quality

The Jester

Cipher
The OC campaign also underlines just how much of a raw deal the protagonist of the first OC got, since all of his achievements were either erased or attributed to somebody else.

1. Aribeth, one potential love interest, either in Hell and/or pounded by the protagonist of the expansions (possibly in a threesome with a sexy Tiefling/Drow).

The hero of Neverwinter is truly the Most miserable MC in FR video games.

Testownia

The hero of Neverwinter is truly the Most miserable MC in FR video games.

His fate post-game could make an intriguing story. I don't think the topic of a "hero rejected by the ones he saved" has ever been explored from said hero's perspective (yes, I know this is basically the Vault Dweller from Fallout, but even he had people joining him into exile).

EDIT: To answer the question posted in the thread - yes, ALL of the campaigns are worth playing through. The Forgotten Realms RPGs are something of a miracle - a set of games set in the same setting, and all of them range from good to brilliant. Even Baldur's Gate III is shaping up to be a tasty experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
It's not that bad. It's mediocre for sure, but if you have time on your hands and a limited number of games to choose from - NWN2 OC being one of them - I'd play it.

It's just very generic. The keep is kinda fun, and Ammon Jerro and his grand daughter is kinda interesting. The ending choices where your party can turn on you or you on them is pretty cool. Sand's pretty alright. The rest of the characters are pretty shitty. The King of Shadows as a concept is pretty good - interesting backstory, but in execution he ends up just being a regular generic evil guy. The trials pretty good.

Shit this place's top 100 list says KOTOR is the 55 best RPG - it's damn sure better then KOTOR.

Basically if you have cancer and little time to live, don't waste your time. If you have a bunch of other games waiting for you, don't waste your time. But if you've got this and KOTOR play this.

The Jester

Cipher
Should I skip NWN2 main campaign?
No, you wouldn't appreciate the MOTB enough, without suffering in the main campaign first.
w5k6nqoh2hux.jpg

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
I remember first time I played NWN2 was at least 5 years ago:deathclaw:,but I never finish it.......

Thanks guys I decide give main campaign a try.

Before now i just mess around with new vegas (well part of the reason is the frontier mod that bring me back to mojave, and I still keep my 200+mods MO2)
Consider I saved GoodSpring from power gangers at least 10 times...... I really should try something new:hmmm:

Wait am I reading this right and you've only played New Vegas? Because if that's the case there are like... fifty games you should play before NWN OC

waken

Educated
but from memory I feel like NWN had slightly less bland characters?.
The characters in NWN 2 although shallow, were ridiculous and over the top and this silliness made them at least some degree of memorable.
I just don't remember them as ridiculous or over the top at all: I just remember cliché dwarf-guy, cliché paladin guy, cliché thiefling rogue girl, cliché snarky wizard guy, ... The warlock was alright though.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Playing through it now. Act I it has a nice "starting off an adventure" feeling, but really drags on and on. It's picking up in Act II though. Doesn't seem as bad as many people have said, and it actually has some nice writing here and there. I find the cliche-ness quite cozy actually.

This is my fourth go trying to get past about the middle of Act I (since the game came out) struggling with the janky camera/control system. I've gotten into the groove by finally accepting that I'll never find a way of controlling the game that's comfortable and just living with the jankiness. (It's like that 5 stages of grief thing.)

It's weird how NWN isn't really much better in terms of control, yet it feels more "of a piece" and comfortable to play, whereas this game has the quality of one never being quite sure what the game is going to do, never quite behaving in a predictable way (unless of course one foregoes the AI completely and manually controls every single thing) - not even with the Tony K AI mod, which does improve things, but still isn't entirely satisfactory.

The Bryce crypt side quest is a bit of a blindside - it's by far the hardest mission yet, including the supposedly bossy and climactic fight of Act I, which was piss easy (playing "D&D Hardcore" diff)

Last edited:

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's weird how NWN isn't really much better in terms of control, yet it feels more "of a piece" and comfortable to play, whereas this game has the quality of one never being quite sure what the game is going to do, never quite behaving in a predictable way (unless of course one foregoes the AI completely and manually controls every single thing) - not even with the Tony K AI mod, which does improve things, but still isn't entirely satsifactory.
NWN has pretty solid WSAD controls once you get used to them (while navigating the camera with a mouse). After spending years on persistent worlds the game felt like second nature to me, plus the round menu was pure genius. NWN2 on the other hand felt like the RPG equivalent of Resident Evil tank controls because they messed up many small details that together made it impossible to play the same way as in NWN1.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
You have to play it. if only so you can be part of the conversation when everyone suddenly starts talking about how bad it is in the middle of an unrelated thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom