Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is NWN2 OC really that bad?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Monocause said:
Tried playing the OC. God, does the beginning suck.

Does it get any better later on? I've just met the dwarf and found out that I can't even remove him from the party.

It has better writing than Fallout 3.
It has actual choice and consequences. More than Fallout 3.
It has a better written plot than Fallout 3. (LOL! COMPUTAR!)
The combat is better than Fallout 3.
There are more skill checks (that effect ACTUAL Consequences) than Fallout 3.
The Combat is Skill Based.

I'm drunk, and I hate Fallout 3. Just finish the OC. It does get better. It's NOT "OMG!!!!1111!!!! TEH GRETEST RPG OF ALL TEIME!!!!!!!!!!!" It's.........ok. But it is certainly better than the shitload of other cRPG's out there.

feighnt

Scholar
DemonKing said:
I guess Lawful Evil is one of the harder alignments to roleplay as "Evil" choices can sometime be misinterpreted as "Chaotic" and "Lawful" choices can sometimes be regarded as "Good" by the game...probably which is why I ended up where I did.

ah, now THAT i can understand - i'd forgotten how ambiguous the difference between some of those lawful and good choices could be.

Data4

Arcane
Ebonsword said:
skyway said:
The key to enjoying the OC is to play some retarded MMO for 6 months - and then play NWN2 OC which will seem like heavan

Tested.

LOL, too true. I think that I played NWN2 right after trying out the Lord of the Rings MMO, and I was all, like, "OMG, NWN2 is the best game evah!!".

Which it *isn't*, but in comparison it sure felt like it.

Oh that's just a cheap shot. LOTRO is among the better of the modern MMOs out there. Of course, if you're predisposed to hating MMOs in general by default, this argument is moot. Still, I'd have to say that I've enjoyed LOTRO lots more than I enjoyed NWN2OC.

Project: Eternity
I enjoyed it. It wasn't anything extraordinarily good, but it was fun to play. The low point certainly were those orc caves. I think I played it through 2 times, and maybe one more aborted attempt, but I spent a lot of time in multiplayer. Definitely got my money's worth out of it.

Maia

Novice
I have to admit - I liked it. It is not great or anything, but I enjoyed my time with the OC and played it twice.
It is also one of the few games where it is fun to play an evil character - though not a "Lawful Evil", admittedly. Some of those evil/ lying options are quite hilarious. MoTB, of course, really improves on this aspect, as it does on many others.

Combat mechanics are the main drag, IMHO. There is lots of combat and it just isn't all that entertaining. TonyK's AI mod may have improved on some of it, though.

Project: Eternity
Maia said:
Combat mechanics are the main drag, IMHO. There is lots of combat and it just isn't all that entertaining. TonyK's AI mod may have improved on some of it, though.

Yeah. I guess D&D combat is mostly about waiting for the dice to show high numbers anyway, but in NWN2 it just feels extra tedious. You just end up staring at the screen waiting for your char to roll that damn 20.

What? Even in NWN2 it's still about choosing targets and the tools against them, and to lesser extent maneuvering. And in TOEE, there's all kinds of attack and movement options not present in NWN2. Unless you consider all non-clicky combat "mostly waiting for die to show up high numbers".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom