Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It was bound to happen sooner or later - Bethesda Montreal founded

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All the games must be made in Montreal

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-12-09-bethesda-opens-new-studio-in-montreal

Bethesda opens new studio in Montreal
Fallout: New Quebec anyone?

Bethesda Game Studios, the developer of Fallout 4 and the Elder Scrolls series, has opened a new studio in Montreal.

jpg

Led by studio director Yves Lachance, senior VP on Wolfenstein: The New Order and Fallout Shelter, the new branch of Bethesda consists of more than 40 developers and spans both console and mobile game development.

"We've worked with some very talented developers in Montreal for a long time, and decided it was time to open a studio there," said Fallout 4 director Todd Howard. "It's exciting to think about the new games we'll be building together."

"Our collaboration with Bethesda Game Studios has been an exhilarating and memorable journey already," added Lachance. "We are thrilled to be launching the studio in Montreal and contributing our city's great game-making talent to the kind of games that Bethesda Game Studios is known for."

Bethesda is currently hiring at its new Montreal office - and its Maryland base too for that matter.

The publisher noted that Fallout 4 has shifted 12m copies since its release on 10th November.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Behaviour Interactive is also in Montreal. They could co-develop it with Bethesda.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
So much for any outsourced Fallout. Is this a new studio or is it more of a rebranding of Behavior Interactive?

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
They straight up poached people from Behaviour for this new team.

Also, I don't think this is a spin-off team. This is going to be an Additional Development and Engine team. They're hiring Physics, Graphics and Engine programmers the only design job I saw for Montreal was UI design.

Fairfax

Arcane
Fallout Quebec by former mobile shit devs might just be what turns bethestards against them. I doubt it's the case though.

Xeon

Augur
I thought they can ask ID since they are part of the same company to make them a new engine that suits them or something. Similar to Biowere using Frostbite Engine.

Fairfax

Arcane
I thought they can ask ID since they are part of the same company to make them a new engine that suits them or something. Similar to Biowere using Frostbite Engine.
They already did, it's id Tech 6. Who knows if Bethesda is willing to spend the time and money to bring Fallout and TES to that engine, though. They sell shitloads regardless.

StrongBelwas

Cipher
Patron
New engine/Rewriting ID Tech to work with the kind of open-world stuff Bethesda does would add years of development and millions * of dollars to the budget they clearly don't need to if the sales numbers are any indication. :argh: Best case scenario I can see is Bethesda Montreal helping make each shiny "new" version of Gamebyro slightly less out of date than they typically are. Forty people isn't enough to make an AAA game, even one Bethesda-tier and premade engine/plenty of assets to reuse, so I don't think Fallout Quebec is a realistic possibility, for better or for worse. Could be a DLC farm I suppose.

Fallout Quebec by former mobile shit devs might just be what turns bethestards against them. I doubt it's the case though.
Could such a thing even exist? :M

* Overtly simplistic napkin math for bare minimum would be around $63,348 (Medium salary per year of VG programmer according to Payscale ) times 40 employees (Assuming Montreal is the only studio involved in it, which it would almost certainly not be) times 2 years of developing the engine at least. So a bit over 5 mil, which is probably being optimistic.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
New engine/Rewriting ID Tech to work with the kind of open-world stuff Bethesda does would add years of development and millions * of dollars to the budget they clearly don't need to if the sales numbers are any indication. :argh: Best case scenario I can see is Bethesda Montreal helping make each shiny "new" version of Gamebyro slightly less out of date than they typically are. Forty people isn't enough to make an AAA game, even one Bethesda-tier and premade engine/plenty of assets to reuse, so I don't think Fallout Quebec is a realistic possibility, for better or for worse. Could be a DLC farm I suppose.

* Overtly simplistic napkin math for bare minimum would be around $63,348 (Medium salary per year of VG programmer according to Payscale ) times 40 employees (Assuming Montreal is the only studio involved in it, which it would almost certainly not be) times 2 years of developing the engine at least. So a bit over 5 mil, which is probably being optimistic.
It'd be in that ballpark if they want to bring every asset they have at their disposal using Gamebryo, but otherwise it won't take that long. Bethesda itself is not that large, but Zenimax is, and they have more than enough people to get it done much faster than an independent studio.
This would be similar to BioWare's transition to Frostbite. They didn't have to do it on their own, and they had a bunch of assets from other EA projects available. Doom 4 and Dishonored 2 are using id Tech 6, and id has a team dedicated to working on the engine. They'd have a major headstard.
DA:I took less than 3 years to be released, this transition wouldn't take long for Bethesda either, it's just a matter of being cheap fucks or not.

Severian Silk

You're forgetting marketing.

Stargazer_

It'd be in that ballpark if they want to bring every asset they have at their disposal using Gamebryo, but otherwise it won't take that long. Bethesda itself is not that large, but Zenimax is, and they have more than enough people to get it done much faster than an independent studio.
This would be similar to BioWare's transition to Frostbite. They didn't have to do it on their own, and they had a bunch of assets from other EA projects available. Doom 4 and Dishonored 2 are using id Tech 6, and id has a team dedicated to working on the engine. They'd have a major headstard.
DA:I took less than 3 years to be released, this transition wouldn't take long for Bethesda either, it's just a matter of being cheap fucks or not.
One major problem someone has to consider is Beth programmers aren't very good. They really need to reevaluate their workers and start drafting fresh competent talent, even with their own tools they show no mastery in using it or any creativity with Creashit/Shitbryo.

Fairfax

Arcane

One major problem someone has to consider is Beth programmers aren't very good. They really need to reevaluate their workers and start drafting fresh competent talent, even with their own tools they show no mastery in using it or any creativity with Creashit/Shitbryo.
But id's programmers are top notch (or at least they used to be), they'd be the ones doing the heavy lifting, most of which has been done already.

Stargazer_

But id's programmers are top notch (or at least they used to be), they'd be the ones doing the heavy lifting, most of which has been done already.
Id are top notch but when its time to make the game, they wont be the ones who are making the new fallout or TES titles. You can give a man a fishing rod but that doesn't mean he'll be good at fishing.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Id are top notch but when its time to make the game, they wont be the ones who are making the new fallout or TES titles. You can give a man a fishing rod but that doesn't mean he'll be good at fishing.

XNvwLQB.png

Last edited:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Lol Id software has lost most of its good talent it's all just average devs there now. Not to mention that you can't do open world on Id tech, it's megatexture technology can't handle spaces that large.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom