Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've asked it before, I'll ask it again - Gothic 2

Revenant

You should play G2 without NoTR and it will be much better game.
:what:
They shouldn't have lifted your sentence, apparenty.

Johannes

Arcane
I've only played the game once with NoTR, but that added area seemed too tacked on to me. Too separate from the main game, and not that greatly interesting in my memory. I'd figure the vanilla game would be a more focused experience.
Also the stone tablets are an addition of the expansion, apparently? They were really idiotic in their design where they'd be equivalent of much more XP the later you hoarded them for. I'd guess vanilla would have a better done difficulty curve, at least that aspect seemed even worse than original Gothic 1 in NoTR.

Or what was so great about NoTR compared to vanilla? Gothic 1 is still better in most every aspect, of course.

Also paladin vs merc, doesn't paladin get some spell options that merc doesn't? I could remember wrong here, though.

Rpgsaurus Rex

NoTR is harder. Meaning "player skill" (like learning attack patterns of monsters, twitch reflexes to some degree) is more rewarded, since monsters are stronger and are harder to kill - you can't just right-click everything to death.

You also can't be a Master of Everything. You have to specialize (due to high skill => more XP cost) , or the game will kick your ass.

The expansion area is overall fun and well made, only the "mining camp" feels a bit raw/underdeveloped.

For those who already played through G2 once, G2:NotR is a superior experience.

Also, how is G1 better ? :S Apart from the initial "I'm a new guy in a prison colony! everyone bullies me, and surviving is hard!" kinda shock, I just don't see any advantages. It was fantastic experience when I first played it (though it was EXTREMELY buggy then), but G2 beats it in every department.

Also paladin vs merc, doesn't paladin get some spell options that merc doesn't? I could remember wrong here, though.

Paladin gets some healing spells + some really cost ineffective damage "holy bolt" type of spell, though it doesn't really matter at all since potions/healing scrolls are in abundance and you'll be swimming in gold to buy and extras should you need it.

Nim

Augur
G1 has better atmosphere and story imo, but that's about it. DNDR is far far ahead in regards to gameplay and balance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom