Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've asked it before, I'll ask it again - Gothic 2

Flanged

Scholar
Zomg said:
NotR erases most of the mechanical differences between the classes due to the armors you get in the expansion area (which start at around parity with all the first tier faction armor and get better as you find more IIRC) and there are so many scrolls you hardly need to get runes before you run out of logical places to bother.

That sounds good to me, as a pure melee/archery brute with only enough mana for general scroll use. Just about to head through the portal, once Vatras vouches for me. I think I'm still in Chapter Three rather than Four.
Shame I won't see Greg over there, but his mates sound like they'll be a good laugh as well.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Mikayel said:
Master Sword can also be purchased from Martin -- if you hit that issue where he equips it on himself -- look up how to activate 'marvin' mode and take control of him, go to the inventory and equip something else, then take control of your character again and buy it off him.

the dex based blades go Sword (20 dex, 40 damage +5% 1h), raper* (50/100 +8% 1h), master sword (60/120 +10% 1h skill), then betty (110/130)

it actually looks like a saber where-as the 'sword' looks like a rapier (as does the master sword), translational issues i guess

What about the Claw of Beliar? Where does that fit in? I must admit that I've never used it; I always gave it to Vatras so I don't know much about its damage tables.

Murk

Arcane
If you are a paladin or dragon-hunter it becomes a sword that has no stat requirement, whether it is one-handed or two-handed depends on which skill is higher than the other when you go to upgrade it at a shrine of beliar.

the shrine takes max-hp (permanently) to upgrade its damage output and chance of its spell effect going off.

I'll copy and paste the handy table made by N3Burgener from gamefaqs

Code:
Player  Claw     1H     Crit      2H    Crit   Deducted
Level   Level   Dmg       %      Dmg      %      HP
-------------------------------------------------------
<11	 1	 90	 12	 100	 12	 -5 
11	 2	 91	 14	 101	 14 	-10
13	 3	 92	 16	 102	 16 	-15
15	 4 	 93	 18	 103	 18 	-20
17	 5	 94	 20	 104	 20 	-25
19	 6	 95	 22	 105	 22 	-30
21	 7	 96	 24	 106	 24 	-35
23	 8	 97	 26	 107	 26 	-40
25	 9	 98	 28	 108	 28 	-45
27	10 	 99	 30 	 109	 30 	-50
29	11	100	 32	 110	 32 	-55
31	12	101	 34	 111	 34 	-60
33	13	102	 36	 112	 36 	-65
35	14	103	 38	 113	 38 	-70
37 	15	104	 40	 114	 40 	-75
39	16	105	 42 	 115	 42 	-80
41	17	106	 44	 116	 44 	-85
43 	18 	107	 46	 117	 46 	-90
45 	19 	108	 48	 118	 48 	-95
47 	20 	110	 50	 120	 50    -100

One of the awesome things about the claw is that if you are an archer and neglected raising your strength you can still use the claw of beliar and tis magical effect (which at max level has a 50% chance of going off) ALWAYS does 100 damage guaranteed (it bypasses all armor/resistance), so even enemies like Black Trolls can theoretically go down in 5 hits.

The downside is that it won't work on the end-boss.

It is the best 1-handed weapon in terms of damage output, but is statistically inferior to the Berserker axe as a 2-handed weapon if,and only if, you have your 2-handed skill at 100%. If it is only 80% or so then I'd say that it is still the best weapon in the game (at max level, of course).

If you are a mage then you do not get the sword but instead get access to some unique spell runes that you can exchange for one another (you can only have one at a time, but can exchange them at the shrine). the final rune is the single most powerful spell in the game but also drains a minimum of 250(+all remaining) mana, so there's even a good chance you wont' have enough mana to cast the fucking thing.

Otherwise they're "eh" spells -- table below:

Code:
Circle:   HP/Total HP:    Spells:
Circle 1:   -5/-5 HP        Root Snare
Circle 2:  -5/-10 HP        Steal Energy
Circle 3:  -5/-15 HP        Beliar's Wrath, Create Guardian
Circle 4:  -5/-20 HP        Insect Swarm, Create Zombie
Circle 5:  -5/-25 HP        Cry of the Dead

You can only carry one Beliar Rune at a time, and must pray at a Shrine of
Beliar in order to exchange it for another one. It does not cost any extra HP
reduction to do so.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hmm. Tempted to try making a 1h character with the Claw of Beliar. Never actually used 1h weapons before. :oops:
Also, my last two play throughs were Paladin and Merc, and since Fire Mages don't get the weapon, I'm thinking of trying something different, like going guildless. We'll see how long I'll last with shittastic armor. Not that it's impossible.

Murk

Arcane
Well, you could technically clear the entire "new world" area (main Island) but you can't actually get to the Mining Colony or the Lost World areas without joining a guild.

I found 1-handed weapons are easier to use for their faster jump back. With a 1-handed weapon when you step back/jump back you immediately are free to block/attack/move/anything -- with a 2-handed weapon you have a slight split second delay which is the difference of a dragon snapper charging your guts or you managing to hit it and drive it back. I could easily (and with a lot of time) kill an Orc or Dragon Snapper before joining a guild with something like a Wolf's Tooth, but with a two-hander it's most likely I'll get fucked up every time.

For archers 1-handed weapons are pretty much the preferred route, in no small part due to the availability of dex based swords and finally the claw. It just makes sense to dump 20 or so LP and raise your skill with the tablets/NPCs after.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
From what I understood you could complete the game without joining a Guild. And that prior to NotR the Crawler Plate armor was the best armor you could get if you were guildless.

Murk

Arcane
Hrm? Is there some work-around to getting the key from Lord Hagen?

Or is there some weird way to "jump" over the mountain pass by abusing the angles of the mountainside near the pass? And... err... about the portal with the water-mages, doesn't Vatras require you to "deliver" your letter to Hagen before he will let you into the Ring of Water? Or is that not necessary to actually put the key together and activate the portal?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's been a while when I heard something about it, and that was very briefly because I wasn't really interested at the time, but I think it did have something to do with jumping, mountains and angles.

Fake edit: You can get into the Valley of Mines as early as the first chapter by scaling mountains. I'm not sure if you can actually get into Jharkendar then, though.

Murk

Arcane
I read about, and even watched a youtube video, of how to scale the mountains but supposedly you couldn't actually get "through" the tunnel that actually transitions you to it.

I found this video (terrible music) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHuFl64Jdi8 that also shows how to get to the area but not the actual 'transition'.

Kinda curious now

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can bypass almost all of it. I'm pretty sure (but not certain) you could choose to keep beliar claw if you were a mage.

Murk

Arcane
You can, its just that when you pray it is not a sword -- but the rune(s).

fragonard

Novice
Mikayel said:
I read about, and even watched a youtube video, of how to scale the mountains but supposedly you couldn't actually get "through" the tunnel that actually transitions you to it.

I found this video (terrible music) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHuFl64Jdi8 that also shows how to get to the area but not the actual 'transition'.

Kinda curious now
You can definitely get through to the VOM; I 've done it twice to get XP and loot. You still need to join a guild though because you can't trigger the start of Ch3 without the quest from Lord Hagen. Also, you can't get to the add-on area without the quest from Vatras which also requires a guild.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
In vanillia G2 you can get as far as Ch.3, still guildless. If you manage to pass Hagen's guards, he'll talk to you. In NotR, however, he'll tell you that you don't have enough experience.
And even during vanilla G2 you hit a wall when you need Xardas to help you to repair the Eye. If you are still guildless, he'll tell that you lack strength (whatever your actuall strength is) and refuse to talk about the subiect.

Murk

Arcane
Interesting. I love it when game's allow for such unplanned events and can still function without breaking.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
How do the Mercenary and Paladin paths differ aside from the ease of entry into the Paladins? I've never managed to get far into Chapter 2 on my previous plays, how does the combat for each differ? I'm leaning towards 2h weapons with a bow as backup (main weapon in the beginning).

Rpgsaurus Rex

Different faction quests. It's an aesthetic/story choice, if anything.

The combat doesn't differ at all - 1h v. 2h, bow v. crossbow path is open regardless of which faction you join, armor values are almost the same (slightly better for Mercs IIRC) etc.

BTW what are you waiting for, G2 : NotR is a classic game - go play it!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Merc's get access to the Ore Dragon Slayer weapons which are slightly more powerful than the Paladin exclusive weapons. I don't remember for sure, but Paladins have slightly better armor. At least it looks pretty good. The Dragon Hunter armor looks like goat vomit.

Merc's have to sacrifice some LP's and a shitton of gold to get their armor and weapon, Paladin's get their armor for free from a chest.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Merc's get access to the Ore Dragon Slayer weapons which are slightly more powerful than the Paladin exclusive weapons. I don't remember for sure, but Paladins have slightly better armor. At least it looks pretty good. The Dragon Hunter armor looks like goat vomit.

Merc's have to sacrifice some LP's and a shitton of gold to get their armor and weapon, Paladin's get their armor for free from a chest.

Well, not really.

Dragon Slicer > Ore Dragon Slayer, and you can get it at any stage in the game, even Chapter 2, as long as you have enough STR (150? can't really remember exact number) and are able to beat the tomb guardians. Only Berserker Axe / 2H maxed out "souldrinker" weapon beats it in terms of damage. Basically as Merc/Paladin you can invest 0 points into crafting and still have great weapons. (and you can even find the best crafting weapons with some pickpocketing/exploring, AFAIR)

Merc's dragonslayer armor you get with minimal xp investment, I think it's like 3LP to collect dragon scales, and some 20k gold, but by that point in the game you'll be swimming in gold and have absolutely nothing else to do with it anyway.

Nim

Augur
1H Ore Dragon Slayer is the best 1H weapon though and the 2H one has the highest reach (140 compared to 120 for the Dragon Slicer and 90 for the Berserker Axe). Of course Beliars Claw is also there and contending for the top spot.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In the end it's mostly aesthetics with a slight quest variation in the final acts. Nothing major. As far as the 'best swords' debate... I'd like to meet someone who can actually kill the NoTR iteration of the dragons in melee without using the summoned skeletons/demons, etc.

Nim

Augur
Err, that's easy ? For the harder ones you have to use black ore iirc but I've done it ( I loathe both ranged and summons ^^) ? Now try some modded dragons where they summon stuff :eek:

Rpgsaurus Rex

In the end it's mostly aesthetics with a slight quest variation in the final acts. Nothing major. As far as the 'best swords' debate... I'd like to meet someone who can actually kill the NoTR iteration of the dragons in melee without using the summoned skeletons/demons, etc.

It's easy, assuming you powergame (i.e. kill almost everything every chapter, don't waste XP points, etc.). During my last playthrough the toughest dragon died in 5 melee hits, the weaker ones in 4. (was using Dragon Slicer, STR value 160 or smth IIRC).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom