Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've heard the Witcher EE is out

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Just noticed another module that can be downloaded. Free DLC FTW!

http://www.gamershell.com/download_33152.shtml

Ooh:
New Feature (Throwing Knives) - We will be launching an early version of the throwing knives with Deception. This will allow you more strategy with ranged units, whether they are a guard calling alarm, or a large monster wanting you as a meal.

Fez

Erudite
I was watching that mod development on the moddb website and visited just the other day, oddly enough. It looked promising at the time. Hard to know what it will be like. Feel free to let us know what you think of it, if anyone here has tried it yet. It's the first big TW mod that I know of.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Morgoth said:
So, any comments on the quality of the new English dialogs/VOs?
Well IIRC (I switched to the alternate translation in the old version, but I still recall this to be true in th eoriginal trnaslation as well) that the dialog now MATCHES the subtitles (Obviously the other alternate trans it wouldn't match, but like I mentioned IIRC even the original default english trans the spoken dialog didn't always match the sub-titles).

That said, I still don't know that I don't prefer the other old unofficial english translated version, unfortunately I blew away the old version to conserve disk space and have no intentions to re-install it just to compare.

I picked up a de-censor patch from someone on the forums, unfortunately the only caqrd that I'd gotten so far is still censored. Didn't go back to the save just before that scene to check the fix. (I suspect that the data is copied into the save or the tmeporarily unpacked section of the "module" so the de-censor didn't get picked up.) It is a fairly small patch ~50MB, it also replaces the nymph or whatever it was texture with the completely nude one (whoopee green chicks -- Orion Slave Girls?).

The no-DVD crack still faults with a process_id hook fault in win2k, so either they updated their toolset from M$ which now uses that hook for something or the crack doesn't really entirely crack the engine. :( So still no win2k happiness for me, hence my decrease in playing.

Also AFAICT it looks like I can already see the new animations in games play and it does seem that there are some more death moves that I don't recall from before, but I can't compare to the Polish or other European version as I don't have them. The US EE still comes with all of the languages that the game was, apparently translated into.

I'm pretty happy with it, but I still wish that the US version had a printed manual (nice to leaf through at odd times to see if there's anything that I missed somehow) and I don't play it as often as I like as I have to specifically re-boot into XP to play, and most of the time it seems like it's not worth it to just play ONE game.

The load times within chapters and when saving the game seem to be GREATLY reduced, while switching chapters is still a rather lengthy process.

Haven't even tried any of the extra mods yet, as I actually wanted to finish a playthrough with EE first then move onto the mods and taking a closer look at the SDK.

Funny thing is that CD Projekt actually manage to produce a fun/complex/RT RPG while Bioware just failed in their unholy RT/"pseudo turnbased" abominations.

[EDIT]
Funny thing is that Geralt seems to have to the opportunity to get laid more often than he does in the books, or at least the only one available in English so far, The Last Wish. That said it could still ALWAYS use MOAR BOOBIES... :D
[/EDIT]

trustno1code

Prophet
Fez said:
Does anyone else think that Leo now sounds like George from Broken Sword? Was the same actor used?
It's not stated officially anywhere (like imdb or something) as far as I know, but according to some dude:
You were right! We checked with CD Projekt, and they confirmed that the new voice actor is Rolf Saxon, who also portrayed Mr. Stobbart in the Broken Sword series.

Texas Red

Whiner
I don't understand why they had to change actors. For one they were perfectly fitting and secondly I haven't noticed any significant differences in text. Leo still says "Success?".

MasPingon

Arcane
inwoker said:
MasPingon said:
...Triss tits are slightly nicer
Isn't it alone good reason to download 1.5 gb?

For those of you who didin't downoad the patch cause it's too big, those are TW EE gfx updates that I noticed:

And Geralts new pants.Now you don't need to

DraQ

Arcane
MasPingon said:
Ironically, Triss was about the only sorceress in the books wearing non-exposing dress. This is because she's been fireballed on the Hill of Sodden and apparently had to have much of her, um, chest area, magically reconstructed which left visible traces.

All in all, though, I don't think the series' fans have any reasons for nerdrage.

Edit:

You know what? Screw it:
MasPingon said:
There.

Starwars

Arcane
I tried the Deception mod very briefly just to see how they had handled it. The voiceacting was actually not horrible (though what bothers me more is the low quality of the recording). The guy doing Geralt actually sounded damn close in a few lines, but then in others it was a bit worse.

I stopped playing though after finding out that some lines in the dialogues appeared to be voiced, and other were not. I have no problems with no voiceovers, I have no problems with only certain characters being voiced, but I can't stand it when voiceovers drop out in the middle of a conversation only to return a few sentences later.

Maybe an error though? But I doubt it.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
MasPingon said:
inwoker said:
MasPingon said:

For those of you who didin't downoad the patch cause it's too big, those are TW EE gfx updates that I noticed:

32800x600wi8.jpg

There, fixed it for you.

Fez

Erudite
I think most modders would be better sticking to text-only as bad voice acting is only going to detract. It is rare to get competent VA in a mod. I take it you can still simply disable the voices and stick to reading?

Starwars

Arcane
No clue, I was just checking it out briefly. If it can be disabled then it'd be good.

Fez

Erudite
MasPingon said:
inwoker said:
MasPingon said:

We need a before and after to make a clear comparison and make a proper judgement.

Texas Red

Whiner
Hey guys, what do you think of the two adventures? I tried a little bit of Price of Neutrality and it seemed quite fine. It had custom models, full VO and a chance to converse more with other witchers(who were absent unfortunately after Kaer Morhen). A moral conundrum was present right from the beginning and both the sides retained The Witcher's greyness. What I didn't like were two MMO quests I saw.

Ausir

Arcane
The plot premise and many of the dialogues in The Price of Neutrality are pretty much copypasted from one of the original Witcher short stories, The Lesser Evil.

DraQ

Arcane
Ausir said:
The plot premise and many of the dialogues in The Price of Neutrality are pretty much copypasted from one of the original Witcher short stories, The Lesser Evil.
Not unlike much of the subplots, 'new' characters, and dialogues in main game being recyclees from the series, which makes the game feel as a sort of weird construct - a follow up pretending to be a direct adaptation.
It isn't bad though.

Gerrard

Arcane
The dialogue lines straight out of the books in the OC annoyed me a bit, especially considering the amount of them.
I can understand making references, but this only made me think they ran out of ideas.

DraQ

Arcane
Gerrard said:
I can understand making references, but this only made me think they ran out of ideas.
Or were performing some sort of overzealous fanservice.

Meh, whichever is the case, it luckily works.
Also, I like the improvements in EE, especially inventory (as I will have to finish the playthrough and start another one to be able to appreciate extra characters with individual models and such).

Data4

Arcane
Thread title said:
I've heard the Witcher EE is out

...not a bad way to kill some time... if you've got the stones for it.

4 pages in this thread, and no one thought of this yet?

:declineofthecodex:

Texas Red

Whiner
Ausir said:

Yes but what is your opinion on them? They haven't been mentioned much at all though one would think they would be more popular considering a new NWN module thread popping out every month. They look like quality products to me.

Starwars

Arcane
The Price of Neutrality was pretty good, though likely you can finish it very quickly if you don't want to do the two "collest x amount of these" quests. Storyline was pretty nice, and you had to make a choice on what's gonna happen.

The second mod had a nice premise. Basically you gotta raise 2000 orens to get a friend out of jail in Vizima, so I guess it tried to go for that sandboxy feel. But this mod was just really unengaging I thought. Worth a try maybe, but I didn't like it much.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
cutterjohn said:
The no-DVD crack still faults with a process_id hook fault in win2k, so either they updated their toolset from M$ which now uses that hook for something or the crack doesn't really entirely crack the engine. :( So still no win2k happiness for me, hence my decrease in playing.
if you had the original and patch it up to EE the DVD is no longer needed in tray, but the win2k issues stay...

cutterjohn

Cipher
Licaon_Kter said:
cutterjohn said:
if you had the original and patch it up to EE the DVD is no longer needed in tray, but the win2k issues stay...
Actually I have the original and TWEE since I got it for a goo dprice and it came loaded with actually interesting goodies.

TWEE DOES REQUIRE that the DVD is in the drive to play the game, ow TAGES bitches. Also had a fun time trying to start it after a fresh boot in which TAGES claimed that the DVD was NOT in the drive when it was, and even switching between the 2 drives installed (DVD capable) didn't help. A reboot seemed to fix it though, and it's only happened th eone time so far, but rebooting is tedious especially when I ONLY booted into XP to play TWEE.

...still waiting for a better TWEE crack, or maybe I should just re-install the old plus patch and see if I can get that going in win2k, but that 1GB download frightens me...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom