Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade Empire, any good?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What do you now of Essence of Culture as the attribute that make it what it fundamentally is, and which it has by necessity, and without which it loses its identity RK 47? You're not even Mainland Chinese and IRC Singapore was funded by Taoist Chinese who rejected Confucius philosophy. Of course this essence is corrupted by Biowhorean anal perspective but still preserves basic principles well.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Posting in an ancient thread to say this game is racist shit with bad action combat.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Draco has the honor to receive my first ever warning.

I_AM_THE_LAW.jpg

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
"I remember when Dragon Age: Origins came out and I learned it was the first BioWare game with women writers. At first I was like, “Awesome! More women in the industry.” And then I found myself wondering how a company based in liberal Edmonton, Canada had managed to not have any women writing for it until 2009."

These people are all fucked up in the head.

Karmapowered

Augur
This is probably old news to most here, but still worth the marketing :

http://jade-empire-in-style.com

• easy to install (goes mostly into your override)
  • adds more visual effects throughout the game
  • adds style points, which allow you to learn more styles than vanilla
  • styles are acquired, and levelled up through actual combat : the better you fare, the faster your gains
  • adds items, merchants, cheats, etc.
  • seems bug-free AFAIK

Check it out.

oscar

Arcane
The combat could have been okay except for the fact that jump lets you win most fights without taking a scratch. Bioware tried to make the Evil character options into a more nuanced Social Darwinist philosophy except they half-assed it and most of the choices remain indistinguishable from your usual "chaotic retarded evil/niceguy mcpussy" options.

Don't get excited by Rougey/Lesiofre's claims of racism, there isn't anything fun like that here.

:lol:

Yeah because in Western-based fantasy settings the woman are dressed modestly and the writer's undertake deep historical research into the intricacies and details of medieval European life. Oh wait chainmail bikinis with knights, castles and dragons. Tits sell, whether European or Chinese, and no one's going to give a shit if you showcase your history degree by displaying an emerging social crisis in the village due to the agricultural effects of enclosure upon the lower rungs of the peasantry.

But I guess any chance to turn your shitty sheltered sociology degrees to over-analysis pop-culture entertainment.

Each white man destroyed is a soul freed from bondage. Each white man’s life extinguished is a human soul raised to glory. Thus our eternal destiny is written in their blood.

Where did the white man touch her?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
She loves Lesi, still talks to her via twitter on occasion. Feminist dykes gotta have solidarity y'know? Though it's slightly bothersome to me since I'm still sticking to my deal with not reading any new entries from her blog or whatever she's tweeting. That "view conversation" link is like a tempting shot of whiskey or a crack pipe. Of course I'm not going to stop following Maria on account of that.

Linden

Arcane
I liked Jade Empire...

I mean the setting and the mythology are nice... and the music and the voice acting. And the story is good for what it is ("hero from small village goes on a great journey and saves the world").

Here's another thought: Jade Empire was grimdark in a good way. And by that I mean it wasn't grimdark like, say, Dragon Age, but still had some very dark moments. It was, in retrospect, a surprisingly touching story about death and loss, kinship and revenge for past deeds.

DemonKing

Arcane
The setting didn't do much for me but it was ok if you like the patented Bioware game structure model with the obligitory twist.

The combat was dire though - when you go into combat mode you're basically dancing in a circle you can't get out of until you finally manage to drop your opponent(s).

Phineas

Educated
Its a good revival of the beat em up with good writing, atmosphere, and RPG elements; that said, it doesn't compare to other beat em ups like Streets of Rage 2, Turtles in Time, Final Fight 3, or Castle Crashers. If you don't go in expecting an RPG, its pretty good for what it is.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BIO's most underrated game. KOTOR is their most overrated.

oscar

Arcane
I just can't get over how broken jumping was. Jumping is pretty much a "I win" button that allows you to beat most fights without taking a scratch. The end boss took about half a minute of me jumping around with the Englishman's musket fully upgraded :lol:

Combat could have been fun in a beat-em-up way if not for that.

PunkPkunk

Educated
It's a good game, one of my favorites (as if that means anything).

It fucking unfinished though; expect lots of empty space, few interactive NPCs, and multiple plot holes.

A good way to describe it would be, a great game in theory but fucking mediocre in execution. I'm more of a theory guy (that's how I got through mass effect) and so I was able to look past the flaws, if you're too kodexelite for that the game probably wont do it for you.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Where did the white man touch her?

Indeed the lack of Man is reeking from her blog but she should atleast praise the John Cleese encounter. It did showed Westerners like unwashed barbarians they were. They were a few quests which showed what Closed Fist should be in chapter 2 but it quickly devolves into I am an asshole for no reason once you reach capital. Still It was Biowhorean game I had most fun from. Exotic setting, Companions who don't whine that much and patented Biowhorean game with no trash mobs or forced Helper derp. Solid :3/5: with +.

Statik

Educated
It is decent-ish. The setting is good and the most memorable thing about the game. Combat is meh and I can confirm that jumping around like a hyperactive flea is the ultimate universal I win recipe. Companions were rather unmemorable, and I honestly can't remember any of them apart from that girl at the beginning and some kid that either controls a demon or turns into one. I think they were fairly non-annoying though, at least for Bioware standards. Morality system tries to move away from Jesus meets Gandhi vs. Psycho Killer the Grandma Slayer, sometimes the result is decent, sometimes not. Story starts out with a generic "oh no my quiet backwater peasant village is attacked" plot then there's something about an old mysterious dead order of monks and the obligatory twist near the end, which I thought was kinda cool at the time. Oh, and there's a horrible airship minigame.

In the end, I guess it is a standard good for what it is game. Could be enjoyable enough in lack of something better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom