Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade Empire for the PC

MetalCraze

Arcane
But it isn't me who is BAWWWWWWing now because he fails at having counter-arguments.

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
But it isn't me who is BAWWWWWWing now because he fails at having counter-arguments.

I imagine he only wants to discuss games with people who actually play them.

Texas Red

Whiner
Korgan said:
Skyway desperately needs some kind of a custom title. :The Whinelord" or something.

What's wrong with just the common dumbfuck title?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
skyway said:

I imagine he only wants to discuss games with people who actually play them.

You forgot the token idiocy "you just hate games" :lol:

But maybe actually you could counter my arguments. Oh wait but you didn't. It was just another BAWWWW

made

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Korgan said:
Skyway desperately needs some kind of a custom title. :The Whinelord" or something.

What's wrong with just the common dumbfuck title?

At least in the case of JE, skyway was spot-on.

Deleted member 7219

Jade Empire is a very fun game.

It is an RPG, as there are choices and consequences, and different paths through the game. Your character can have an influence on the world and on the people who travel with him. Some of the best moments in the game come at the end when you can alienate half of your party by your actions, and even kill them.

The major flaw in Jade Empire is the length and depth. If the game had more locations and a longer playtime, then it would be truly great. As it stands, I would say it is very good, but not a top 10 RPG.

As for difficult, go for hardest. Otherwise you'll find it shockingly easy. Once you complete one playthrough, you can access the hardest level of difficulty, which is great.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"At least in the case of JE, skyway was spot-on."

No, he's wrong.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
skyway said:
Jade Empire is an uninspired piece of shit. Much like Fallout 3. Though whereas F3's writing wasn't pretending to be anything more than dumb - JE's one pretends and fails. The combat is bloody awful too. A typical console button mashing. Add to that a few areas with respawn and you have yourself Jade Empire.
The big plus however is a setting. Chinese-styled steampunk looks pretty good for something of a Bioware level, though developers still managed to mix it with a large dose of a boring fantasy (yes in the meaning of bioware not doing fantasy right)
I have to agree, this is actually spot-on.

I still like Jade Empire, though, and the reason for that is the simple fact that it's short and kitschy. And the big reveal was great. I never suspected that at all, and after KOTOR1, where I called OMG HE'S TEH REVAN! right after the tutorial, that's a positive because apparently Bioware didn't entirely fuck up the writing department before they went on to work on Mess Affect (which really is another story for another time).

I don't regret buying Jade Empire, but I would have liked it more if they had focused more on the characters that, y'know, were interesting. My favorite character in the game has ONE dialogue moment before he's settled down as an instant shopkeeper and that didn't go down well with the Andyman Messiah, lemme tell ya! I raged. I screamed. My cat left me. My girlfriend scratched my nose. It was all kinds of bad! But I got over it when I heard John Cleese's beautiful voice. Too fucking bad he's only in the game for five fucking minutes. This time I raged so hard I had to go see the nip'tuck boys. My girl still got bits of my nose on the inside of her nails. It's unbelievable!

If I had to hate it, though, really hate it, I'd have to run a spear through the whatever that made up the Twi'lek soundbytes and decided to call it a fucking language. Because guess what: no!

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Andyman Messiah said:
And the big reveal was great. I never suspected that at all, and after KOTOR1, where I called OMG HE'S TEH REVAN! right after the tutorial, that's a positive because apparently Bioware didn't entirely fuck up the writing department before they went on to work on Mess Affect (which really is another story for another time).

Are you serious? I saw the "YOUR MENTOR IS THE REAAAAL VILLAIN" coming from... well, roughly around the bits where he talks to Gao the Lesser or something. Maybe it's because I'm familiar with kitschy B-rate martial art movies, which JE plagiarized with great and unrelenting gusto.

If I had to hate it, though, really hate it, I'd have to run a spear through the whatever that made up the Twi'lek soundbytes and decided to call it a fucking language. Because guess what: no!

But they had a professional linguist construct a whole language!1!!!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I have to agree, this is actually spot-on.

I still like Jade Empire,"

You ar e abigger moron than Skyway. he calls it a piece of shit which you claim to agree with yet then you claim you like it. That doesn't fuckin' make sense. Only an idiot likes soemthing they think is shit. Fuckin' tool.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Volourn said:
"I have to agree, this is actually spot-on.

I still like Jade Empire,"

You [are] [a bigger] moron than Skyway. [He] calls it a piece of shit which you claim to agree with[,] yet then you claim you like it. That doesn't [fucking] make [any] sense. Only an idiot likes [something] they think is shit. [Fucking] tool.
You'll find me sitting in the corner, crying and singing "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails.

Lesifoere: I am serious. I think the problem is that I never really thought about it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I like that song. Reminds me of the Codex, and the day Troika went out of business. L0L

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
I had just realized what a bland-a-thon Oblivion was when I spent $30 on JE. Man, what a difference.
Characters! Somewhat breathing and believable characters! The whole "ur master is teh baddy" was a no brainer, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I'd have to say, the music is fucking awesome.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeha,s eriously, WTF. Talk about a pollution problem!

Almost as bad as the constant shitty FO3 talk. Get that shit outta here!

Micmu

Magister
I agree.
This new Goodwin's Law at codex needs to be outlawed asap, because it's disgusting.
Bring nazis back and keep this drivel out.

on topic and to piss volly off: JE > O****n but "Shit" is still on the left...

Lesifoere

Liturgist
micmu said:
on topic and to piss volly off: JE > O****n but "Shit" is still on the left...

I'll do you one better. I thought JE was mediocre and I pirated it.

Last week the hivemind loved Fallout 3, and now it decides it loves Jade Empire a whole fucking lot in an amazing feat of historical revisionism? I must be in a parallel universe or something. :?

Silellak

Cipher
The Rambling Sage said:
Last week the hivemind loved Fallout 3, and now it decides it loves Jade Empire a whole fucking lot in an amazing feat of historical revisionism? I must be in a parallel universe or something. :?

NWN1 OC was an unparalled experience in gaming. Nothing before or since has come close to its level of greatness.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The Rambling Sage said:

Just imagine yourself leaving the codex for one year - then returning and seeing how NWN is the best game ever produced.
But with our luck it might actually happen.

Vibalist

Arcane
I had a good amount of fun with JE too, but I remember being awfully disappointed with the small amount of areas you could visit. As far as I recall the world map had three locations. Why even make a world map then? That whole thing made the game seem pretty underdeveloped. Still, it was a good enough game. If it had been longer, deeper and had had some better combat, I would have loved it.
As far as the clichéed plot and characters go, I'm not even going to complain about that. That's just Bioware. No reason you can't appreciate their games regardless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom