Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade Empire - To buy or not to buy

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dragon Age has a foursome, actually. You can invite Leliana too.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
JE could've been a good game but I thought the combat was too slow for a proper action game and generally just too uninteresting.

Still worth a few bucks though.

J1M

Arcane
As the title says. I want to buy this from GOG since I didn't get to it yet and it probably runs on my shitty laptop. Also, the setting is really interesting. Is there more to it than pew pew?

The game is typical sloppy bioware writing + rock paper scissors combat over and over and over.

Was so bad I had to stop playing it halfway through the first major hub.

Linden

Arcane
:yeah:

edit: Still, those bitches got nothing on Silk Fox.

So tasteful.

(why is she a giant jesus christ)

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Leliana is one a few redeeming qualities of DA :oops:

I enjoyed JE a lot, although I've also enjoyed ME 1-3 for what they are, so... Surprisingly not terrible combat, very nice visuals, cute setting. And I think it gets better after a while. Character progression is broken though.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
JE is a fun game... if you pick it up with a 75% discount on Steam. Seriously, it is only worth the bucks if you're bored with the games you're currently playing

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm not trolling. She's the most complex and original character in the entire game. This good, but not goody chick with pretty well hidden wild side, openness and maturity you don't expect from her initially. I liked her, even if the song segment was cheesy and fucking stupid.
Also I'm probably remembering only good bits. It's been a long while since I played DA and I'm not planning on repeating the experience. Ever.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Leliana good Wife and Mother Material >>> than this crazy Skunk Morigan. Also Zevran was fun companion... after He was told once to stay of my back that is. Only Character I wanted to stab was Alice... Maker damned whiny little faggot. Maried the Queen only to send him to chopping block. :smug: :incline::thumbsup::dance::yeah:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Leliana's a lesbo slut, Morrigan is more Codexian since she's 30-something still living with mommy.:troll:

Tom Selleck

Arcane
ZWgEcJp.jpg

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I didn't really like Leliana, she was too religious. That does have some advantages - as we all know, religious girls love anal - but listening to her talk about Jesus the Maker got old fast.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Twas not so bad, mind you it's been a while. Though from what I remember there was a much smaller focus on companions than most Bioware games, oh they were there, and they are critical to the plot. But you only have to take one at a time, they don't interrupt you randomly to comment on the weather every 5 minutes and from what I remember there is no companion "quests".
The setting had some good moments. Like others have said it had better than average Bioware evil choices, in fact I would argue it had the best Bioware evil plotline at the end... even if you could switch morality completely in two choices.

As for the combat, well, it was bad. You can get a challenge out of it, but only in a very finger twitchy kind of way i.e. no strategy required. I also always liked Death's Hand outfit as an evil minion.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You can't even get a lot of "finger twitchy" satisfaction from combat, though, that's the problem with it. J:E plain sucks as an action game, not just as a tactical/strategy game. And that's my main gripe, because the setting was fairly enjoyable (then again, I enjoy pseudo-Oriental settings a whole lot, which may not be the case for other ppl.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can't even get a lot of "finger twitchy" satisfaction from combat, though, that's the problem with it. J:E plain sucks as an action game, not just as a tactical/strategy game. And that's my main gripe, because the setting was fairly enjoyable (then again, I enjoy pseudo-Oriental settings a whole lot, which may not be the case for other ppl.)

Every try this? http://jade-empire-in-style.com/

Regvard

Arcane
Last time I tried to play this game I got hovering/glitching sashes, robes etc. I'll give the gog version a try.

DemonKing

Arcane
It wasn't terrible in the way that the original NWN campaign or Dragon Age II were, but it certainly wasn't one of Bio's better games. At the time I played it, I was surprised how much the game's structure was ripped straight out of KOTOR but given that pretty much every Bio title since then has followed the same basic formula it's not as surprising in retrospect.

The actual gameplay (ie the combat) is mediocre so I could only recommend it if you're really dying to experience some patented Bio-Romance set in a quasi-Asian setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom