Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Jeff Vogel reviews Mass Effect 3

Esquilax

Arcane
With Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Dead State, Xenonauts and probably a few others I can't remember coming down the pipeline in the future, Vogel will be going the way of the do-do. It's probably smart that he wrote this Cover Letter for BioWare Mass Effect 3 Review now and seeks employment elsewhere before people stop buying his games because there are some actually viable alternatives for once.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Mass Effect series is one of the best series in the genre, written by one of the best development houses
I think the Mass Effect setting is one of the best in computer games.
Between Mass Effect and Dragon Age, I personally think that BioWare is the best maker of computer game settings.
BioWare, a company known for awesome video game storytelling, creates a trilogy of games in one of the most well-realized imaginary worlds ever created in the medium.
This is what nothing-but-swill-consuming neckbeards actually believe.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's hard to believe that this is the same guy who made the Geneforge series.

Then again, it's pretty easy to believe that this is the guy who made Avadon.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
With Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Dead State, Xenonauts and probably a few others I can't remember coming down the pipeline in the future, Vogel will be going the way of the do-do. It's probably smart that he wrote this Cover Letter for BioWare Mass Effect 3 Review now and seeks employment elsewhere before people stop buying his games because there are some actually viable alternatives for once.

I dunno. Isn't his fanbase pretty loyal? And I'm sure his sales are up now that he's joined Steam and all. He's probably better off now than he was a few years ago.

But you're right, things do seem to be changing a bit, for the better. We'll see.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's kind of funny because he's more than talented enough to get a job there. Seriously, they hire 18 year old girls to do particle effects etc., I think a 30-something programmer with decades of experience making RPGs would be a shoe-in. Maybe BioWare don't actually want him, for the fact that he can be kind of vocal/outspoken and lacks malleability. If they do have the suck-up corporate culture in place then I can see someone thinking he's "too independent" etc.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Seriously, they hire 18 year old girls to do particle effects etc., I think a 30-something programmer with decades of experience making RPGs would be a shoe-in.
He probably gives better BJs I concede this.

Esquilax

Arcane
I dunno. Isn't his fanbase pretty loyal? And I'm sure his sales are up now that he's joined Steam and all. He's probably better off now than he was a few years ago.

But you're right, things do seem to be changing a bit, for the better. We'll see.

I was exaggerating a bit for comedic effect. However, it is definitely possible that Vogel might have to change his business model somewhat in order to adapt to a post-Kickstarter environment. It's hard to predict at this point because Kickstarter is still in that "dream" phase where everybody's imaginations and expectations are building things up to some imaginary "perfect game" because there hasn't been anything solid yet.* But what I do know is that for roughly the past ten years, the only choices gamers have really had were bland multi-million AAA products or shoestring indies for the most part. But now that you have the opportunity to develop a product that has a lot of talented people working on it, total creative freedom, good production values, and a lot of individuals specialized into art/music/sound/level design/programming instead of one guy doing everything, well, it's going to change the playing field pretty drastically.

But hey, I could be wrong. I don't know how loyal Vogel's fanbase is, so they might stick with him. But then again, if they see other people providing the content they crave (proper isometric turn-based RPG's), only in an even better package, then it might hurt Vogel too.

* Case in point, Age of Decadence. Look at the difference in the enthusiasm in this place before and after the public beta.

It's kind of funny because he's more than talented enough to get a job there. Seriously, they hire 18 year old girls to do particle effects etc., I think a 30-something programmer with decades of experience making RPGs would be a shoe-in. Maybe BioWare don't actually want him, for the fact that he can be kind of vocal/outspoken and lacks malleability. If they do have the suck-up corporate culture in place then I can see someone thinking he's "too independent" etc.

No fucking way, really? Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link for this?

As disgusting as that "review" was, I definitely agree with you here. When you've worked on your own as a one-man operation for over 15 years (it's hard not to respect Vogel's hustle and his ability to carve out a niche) it's probably impossible to kowtow to that cookie-cutter modern BioWare/EA way of doing things.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Pics of the 18 year old girl too. While you're at it.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Pics of the 18 year old girl too. While you're at it.
iS5Vr.jpg

Bit of a misunderstanding, though. They didn't hire girls for particle effects, but to affect their particles. See that Kickstarter money at work. :troll:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Nice chairs. Green. Durable Plastic. Yeah.

I do remember a link to some young girl's blog/website - I think it was in the Bioware/ME thread - who was hired to do some sort of art for Bioware barely out of school. That may have been what sea was talking about.

Morkar Left

I do remember a link to some young girl's blog/website - I think it was in the Bioware/ME thread - who was hired to do some sort of art for Bioware barely out of school. That may have been what sea was talking about.

They probably have enough gamedesigners to get the job done but need more graphic artists. And trainees are cheaper than Vogel would be anyway.

Morkar Left

I referred to "some sort of art", the particle effects could be just an invention. Besides that what does Vogel know about particle effects and when it's easy I doubt they could pay him enough to abandon his business.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is what nothing-but-swill-consuming neckbeards actually believe.
Note the bare contempt towards male secondary sexual characteristics and conflating these with some specific attitude.
People with beards like Jeff Vogel's are universally disgusting, this is fact. If you don't have the decency to be clean shaven, neatly trimmed, or have fashionably neat stubble then you're a rotten slob.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Facial hair is fine when properly groomed.
jeffface.jpg

That beard looks like crusty shit.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jesus christ, we've gone from mocking Vogel because of his Bioware-love to being angry at him because of Biowareness in Avadon to insulting him because of his beard?

:decline:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
perhaps ms roguey is repulsed the notion of him symbolically touching her by proxy through his entertainment software

horrible beard terrible grooming 2/10 would not play games

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom