Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

jetskis are fucking amazing

agris

Arcane
Patron
Y’all bitches are sleeping on how amazing this mechanic is. Want more of this shit in other games? Celebrate it here.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Functionally whats the difference with say a horse or a boat? Yes you get to move fast and go somewhere. Great.

Black Angel

Arcane
i dont get it whats the big deal
MSDWATE_EC001-H-2021.jpg

1734.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Jet skis (and the jet ski dungeon!) are great fun, but the skis themselves and parts customization are a bit disappointing.

Why are skis disappointing? There's not enough practical reason to use more than two or at most three of them (and I'm not counting junk skis), and bigger is always better unless going fast (which leaves anything middling in an awkward spot).

As for parts, all of the unique rare parts parts are scattered around the jet ski dungeon, and the non-unique good rares come from Ray's shop (with one or two also appearing on The Rig in addition to Ray's). You will occasionally find a rare medium engine or maybe a rare small battery as loot. That's it, that's the whole jet ski parts itemization in a nutshell.

For a specific example of the wonkiness of parts customization, the lightest and fastest ski can carry more weight than all other light skis and most medium-sized skis, as well as some of the large skis (!), and can move the fastest while doing so—because it can fit two small rare engines, including the unique one. The one downside is it can only fit a small battery, but that's really no problem as you can carry a pile of the very lightweight 200-capacity batteries with you everywhere.

So basically, the best skis are the Torpedo, the Protectorate Cruiser, and the Devastator, because the onboard weapons are all absolute garbage. The Shark and the Phaser are usable, but fairly suboptimal—especially the Phaser, since it's almost as frail as the Torpedo, but slower and lit up light a Christmas tree so that you're extremely easy for ranged enemies to hit. The light can assist you as well, but you can just wear goggles all the time like everyone does anyway.

All in all, though, I really enjoy jet skis. I just feel that the itemization of parts and differentiation of premium skis fell short of the mark.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I would have liked some further customization, but I enjoy it immensely either way. Game is great. I'd like kind of a build your own option from Ray though, or the Rig even.

Three Platform types you start with are below. Essentially they're small, medium, large, but a bit different. It's not just open slots you have, and size slots you can put, but doing things would have effects on the frame and Jetski in other ways. The example in my mind of this would be a total space allotment based on an overall number, plus available space for specific options (motor, battery, armor, suspension, steering, etc.). These spots wouldn't necessarily be limited by size limiters (1,2,3) but would rather have the capacity to have a max % of the total space number.
  • Platforms
    1. Speed
    2. Transport
    3. Combat
Example:
  • Speed Frame - You have 300 space available, but the speed frame and platform is limited in that it can't take severe weight, so armor is mostly out. Motor space can be up to 65%, Battery can be up to max 30%, Suspension can be max 20%, Steering max 30%, armor max 10%, and mounted weaponry max 10%.
  • You have options beyond simply throwing the best of everything into a jetski now. Rather than using the biggest engine, you might want to twin-link or even triple-link engines with a space that adds up to 195. If your twin-linked engines are lighter than a large, and produce the same or even slightly less power output, you're now capable of accelerating at greater speeds than if you'd simply gone for broke and just done a big'un. The downside to that is that the big motor might be more efficient than a twin-linked setup, so you drain the battery faster.
  • While that's cool and all, you now only have 105 space left for everything else. You might end up with a rocket that can only go in a straight line unless it's at near zero speed and blows up faster than a 70's pinto.

Harthwain

Magister
Reminds me of [PROTOTYPE]. I never felt so amazing before then. I mean, being able to run up a skyscrapped, while holding a car in both hands? Also, Batman: Arkham City had great flying mechanic.

By the way:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The other thing about jet skis is that you optimally need to buy and/or steal a high-end ski and then run the jet ski dungeon ASAP.

Meaningful jet ski content (most of which is in Expedition, unless you're an anti-Protectorate pirate, in which case it's actually the other way around) runs out faster than you think. You need to grab those good parts quickly so that they'll actually do you some good for more than a fraction of jet ski-related content.

All onboard jet ski weapons are completely unusable against sea serpents, which is truly mind-blowing, but that's how it be. Just try shooting a Shark rocket at a group of serpents. If they're submerged, it'll do like 4 damage to each of them; if they aren't submerged, it'll deal about 20-30.

The onboard weapons should deal about 5-10x (yes, five to ten times) more damage than they actually do. They're vehicle-mounted. They shouldn't be worse than a fucking knoife.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
All onboard jet ski weapons are completely unusable against sea serpents, which is truly mind-blowing, but that's how it be. Just try shooting a Shark rocket at a group of serpents. If they're submerged, it'll do like 4 damage to each of them; if they aren't submerged, it'll deal about 20-30.

The onboard weapons should deal about 5-10x (yes, five to ten times) more damage than they actually do. They're vehicle-mounted. They shouldn't be worse than a fucking knoife.

While I can't say about the rockets, I love the destroyer's fusion cannon.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Lol, the jet ski hatred on this thread. What's up with that?

Thankfully Styg doesn't gives a rat ass about such protests :lol:

Functionally whats the difference with say a horse or a boat?
You don't get to look at a ball sack whenever you're exploring the world, like in RDR II. Whether this is a good or bad thing, depends on someone's preferences.

Norfleet

They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a jetski...and you never see a sad person on a jetski.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Tribes... ...TRIBES... J E T S K I I I I I S S Sssssaaaahhrghhhrrrgghhhh

Last edited:

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
We would have flying carpets instead of jet skis if the games with flight would still run properly on a console.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
There's also room in this game, by the way, for those powered hoverbikes that are currently only a nice bit of window dressing.

The jet ski-style movement system already exists, scripted somewhere in the code. A few tweaks to differentiate hoverbike movement, some sprite work (with essentially the same one-size-fits-all generic male/female rider models that skis have; just change the pants to tan), and voila: late-game sci-fi horse. Then expand Upper Underrail (which is already a bit thin, and has plenty of room for bikes) to give them some content.

Same deal as skis: can't speed up the game while using them. Fun only.

Norfleet

But would the horse be amazing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom