Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jrpg's

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't like MMOs or hiking simulators. Both seem like they're just wasting my time with trivial shit. I'm with VD on this, just teleport me were I need to go dammit.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Not sure if I actively dislike any subgenres, but don't think I can get into MMOs or loot games.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The whole GayPG genre. That's basically everything ever made by Bioware.

Also Diablo and its countless clones.

BobtheTree

Savant
Action RPGs. I've tried to play Diablo II so many times. I just get bored with it. Give me RTwP or Turn-Based any day of the week.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I dislike rpgs with numbers, stats, replayability, a lack of quest markers, and limiting your characters by the choices you make, and limiting their skills because of those stats. And diplomatic solutions. :troll:

Honestly I just hate overgrinding.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I like RPGs. Even in games I don't particularly enjoy I can still find things that I like and things they did well.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
MMORPGs are all terrible games, glorified graphical chatrooms at best for all intents and purposes.

The only gameplay feature I truly despise is infinity engine style RTwP, they completely ruin their respective games for me, which is basically why I used my $20 to buy Torchlight 2 instead of backing project eternity.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I´m growing to dislike more traditional fantasy settings... too many years and too many games based off that.

Would love to see some more weird shit in my crpg´s, not Japanese weird... just interesting weird.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The only JRPG I played through was "Etryan Odyssey", and for some reason I hate that game now. Will not play it ever again.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I´m growing to dislike more traditional fantasy settings... too many years and too many games based off that.

Would love to see some more weird shit in my crpg´s, not Japanese weird... just interesting weird.

The new Torment will be your thing then.

Statik

Educated
Diablo & clones, MMOs, and, to a lesser extent, hiking simulators.

DraQ

Arcane
Yes, herding lemmings with mouse cursor in real time is the absolute pinnacle of entertainment.

You said that. A game's UI should provide comfortable controls to alleviate this.
No UI can change the fact that I'm controlling 6 or more people performing different tasks, often in different parts of the map at once.

You should be able to chain commands, set way-points, unit's behavior, use hot-keys, set task teams, etc. I use mouse very rarely, only when I really need to, but prefer keyboard, because constant clicking on everything gets annoying fast and tends to get confusing and is often the most primitive way to control flow of your game. Every developer doing ARPG for PC should take a lesson, or two from RTS controls for the win.

Unlike any RTS unit those people are going to be at least semi-mission critical, the task they will be performing will often be very complex, involving access to inventory, spellbook or even multiple nested menus, unlike tasks facing any RTS unit, and they won't be capable of swarming the enemy with superior numbers.

If you want to frontload the control to allow extensive planning and setting up behaviour before actual action, then why not give player direct FPP control over single character (+ some line of sight command interface for emergencies) to occupy him once clusterfuck inevitably starts?

I'm with VD on this, just teleport me were I need to go dammit.
Sometimes how and from what direction you approach is just as important as where you go.

So you dislike anything codex staff tells you so for very arbitrary reasons?
:dance:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Blobbers are the devil! Even though, rationally, I consider MMOs much worse, blobbers just make me rage on a base level. Everything else, I'm fine with.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm with VD on this, just teleport me were I need to go dammit.
Sometimes how and from what direction you approach is just as important as where you go.
That wasn't really meant seriously. I was intentionally presenting a false dichotomy. Still, if I have to choose between Bethesda style walk everywhere and AoD style teleportation, I choose the latter.

MisterStone

Arcane
Bros MMO are nextgen fail that came after LP MUDs. JRPGs are basically digital puppet shows with occasionally interesting tactical combat, but usually that sucks as well because you don't get to build your own character usually, just the makeup of your party. And also, the artwork sucks. And the fact that protags are all super-powered twelve-year-olds. Yeah, i'm not up to date on that shit, but I don't care.

The Round Peg

Educated
So you dislike Ultima Underworld, Daggerfall, The Elder Scrolls: Arena, Might & Magic, Ishar, & plenty of other classics?
I played and completed Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 because I was an Ultima fan, but I did not enjoy those two games. They were not my favorites as they were for many gamers.

I did not like the Elder Scrolls (especially the earlier ones like Arena or Daggerfall) or any Might & Magic RPG. However, I am a big fan of the Heroes of Might & Magic series, (which are not RPG.)

Never played Ishar.

The Round Peg

Educated
I also hate RPGs or any games that are designed to nickle-and-dime customers with DLCs that should be integrated into the main story, i.e., BioWare games after the first Mass Effect. Now that the Mass Effect trilogy is concluded, I likely will never touch another BioWare game again.

Blizzard and BioWare used to be in my "must buy" category. Used to. Now Blizzard has become an online only company, and I don't play online game, while BioWare now makes DLCs, and making games is more like their side business as a way to get people to buy DLCs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I liked JRPGs when I was the appropriate age for them, like 12-15. Final Fantasy VI was my favorite. I can't stand them now.

I hate MMOs because I hate people, but mostly because I hate pointless grinding and games that focus more on keeping me playing than keeping me entertained.

I hate Diablo style click-click RPGs because I don't care about loot or coop and those games are built around those two things.

I tend to prefer single character Gothic/Morrowind/Fallout style open world RPGs but I can also love a tactical party combat RPG or more linear experience. I really like FPS/RPG hybrids as well since I am also a big FPS fan. Deus Ex and Morrowind are my favorite games of all time.

DraQ

Arcane
That wasn't really meant seriously. I was intentionally presenting a false dichotomy. Still, if I have to choose between Bethesda style walk everywhere and AoD style teleportation, I choose the latter.
May I ask you why?

Bros MMO are nextgen fail that came after LP MUDs. JRPGs are basically digital puppet shows with occasionally interesting tactical combat, but usually that sucks as well because you don't get to build your own character usually, just the makeup of your party. And also, the artwork sucks. And the fact that protags are all super-powered twelve-year-olds. Yeah, i'm not up to date on that shit, but I don't care.
There is a good jPG.
It's called Anachronox.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom