Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just got MoTB - play OC first?

Relayer71

Liturgist
Played the OC twice up until the 3rd chapter or so. Can't say I loved it but it wasn't terrible either.

Some of the dialogue was amusing, I liked most of the characters (yes, even that whiny bitch Neeshka - just didn't like the Paladin but i never do like those righteous, repressed, holier-than-thou types) the only thing that really bothered me was the excessive combat, the camera system and the lack of challenge.

Anyway I'm considering starting a new game, hopefully changing the difficulty from Normal will make it a bit more challenging and playing something other than a Ranger (always play a Ranger in DnD games) will freshen up the experience (maybe on of the new classes?). Anyone try the new classes? Are they fun to play?

Plus I played it when it first came and I know it's seen many patches since so it can only go up - any of the additional camera angles help?

Or is the expansion so utterly amazing (as I've read) that there is no need to play the OC?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I never played either, but it was mentioned at least thirty times in similar threads:

There is -no- need to play the OC.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
No, no, no. Don't play the OC, it'll sap your will to play further. Go straight to MotB and enjoy.

Warden

Arbiter
I think it's totally idiotic to spend cash on a game then not finishing it (or at least try to..). So yes, play the OC. Challenge: dl tony k ai and solo it - for forced companions turn puppet mode on and don't touch them.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Relayer71 said:
Some of the dialogue was amusing,
You don't say.

Githyanki: The Kalach-Cha is our name for someone who steals a sword and hides his crimes by breaking up the sword and hiding it.
PC: This thing happens so often, you have a name for it?
Githyanki: Are you mocking us?! We specially made this name for YOU!

Dumbest thing I have ever heard; made me laugh out loud when I heard it.

Starwars

Arcane
Well, I think you yourself have to answer whether you want to go through the OC again or not. If you do, then you will at least know that there is a tasty cookie by the name of MotB after you finish.

Also, make sure to install everything correctly. NWN2 -> MotB -> autopatcher is the official way of doing this, and it's worked fine for me.

If you do go through the OC again (actually, do this if you start MotB anyways) make sure to find Tony K's AI and use that. Makes combat a bit more fun as enemies tend to act a bit more intelligently, and your companions can handle themselves a bit better if you don't want to control them manually all the time.

The new classes are pretty cool. Spirit Shaman has loads of fun roleplay value, but unfortunately the OC is rather unsupporting of the class as it does not have many spirits. I also always enjoy playing the skill-heavy classes, like Rogues and Bards.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Wyrmlord said:
Relayer71 said:
You don't say.

Githyanki: The Kalach-Cha is our name for someone who steals a sword and hides his crimes by breaking up the sword and hiding it.

The NWN2 OC actually has moments of humor (humor that's funny, I mean) like that? I might actually need to play through it at least once.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Lesifoere said:
Wyrmlord said:
Relayer71 said:
You don't say.

The NWN2 OC actually has moments of humor (humor that's funny, I mean) like that? I might actually need to play through it at least once.

It has quite a few tounge in cheek moments.

Sending some high and mighty neverwinter nine (elite guard) into the warehouse you just cleared out will lead to him slinking back and acknowledging your "wit".

Or try talking to Shandra after the trial. She'll summarize everything that has happened and comment on how illogical and improbable it all was.

In fact, if you don't take the dialogue serious there are a few moments that made my lips curl...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Play the OC with Tony K's AI and the NWN2 OC is actually.... good. (Well the combat is VASTLY improved, and you don't have to fucking baby-sit your NPC's anymore).

They only plus to finishing the OC is that your character gets to keep their armor (And I think a few other items, you do not bring over any weapons to MoTB). Not that you need any of these items, but that is it.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Make sure to enable Monster Wander, Monster Stealth, Monster Open Doors & Monster Unlock or Bash Doors in Tony K's options, which I think are not on by default. That way monsters no longer wait for you to enter a room, but hunt for you instead. Combat becomes much more challenging.

gamefan

Scholar
Play the oc if your someone who is retarded and likes retarded shit.

And if you have played it twice already up to chapter 3 WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU MAKING THIS POST?

Relayer71

Liturgist
gamefan said:
And if you have played it twice already up to chapter 3 WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU MAKING THIS POST?

Because I fucking can (By the same rights that allow you to question me and preface it with a stupid and rather useless comment and do it all in caps, to boot)?

But aside from that, was wondering if with all the patches, the new camera views, the new classes and changing the difficulty it would be worth it to give it one more chance.

Fortunately I got a few civilized and helpful replies - I think I will give that Tony K A.I. mod a try.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
gamefan said:
Play the oc if your someone who is retarded and likes retarded shit.

I HAVE NEGATIVE OPINIONS AND AM VERY LOUD ABOUT IT. ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS AN IDIOT. I AM CONTRIBUTING TO THIS THREAD.

Baldr

Novice
Play the OC. It's really not that bad and picks up as you go further. I don't remember exactly how the game is divided but isn't Chapter 3 the very end? Or are chapters and acts not the same thing?

The trial and the castle are both awesome, and you're missing out if you miss those as well as the final battle.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Relayer71 said:
Both times I played until a little bit after the trial.
Yeah, that is where I'm now too...
On my second play through. I don't remember it "picking up" but the the trial is the only part I really disliked. The rest was okish for me.

Rangers are nice since they get free dual-wielding which becomes quite powerful (up to 12 attacks per round). If you are human (or a race with rogue as fav class) you can put in a level of rogue + the feat able learner. It gives you enough skill points for all dialogue skills.

And don't expect too much from MotB. I have the feeling that the perception here on the codex is quite skewered, probably because more of the NWN2-same was expected (and positively surprised).

Truth

Scholar
The OC is ok. It has its moments amid tedious stuff. Worth playing through if you have ample free time/boredom, otherwise you could just skip it and move on to MotB.

What is it that made you stop playing after the trial two times?

Starwars

Arcane
And don't expect too much from MotB. I have the feeling that the perception here on the codex is quite skewered, probably because more of the NWN2-same was expected (and positively surprised).

Part of the general *hype* of MotB is probably partially to that, but really, when one looks at it it really is a damn good Torment lite-ish game (which I think is fair due to the fact that it is an expansion) that has some flaws, just like any other game has. It's pretty high up on my personal RPG list, but then again, the competition isn't exactly fierce for me at least (there are the good ole classics like Fallout, PS:T, Arcanum, Darklands and some other older ones, but it's pretty sparse).

deuxhero

Arcane
I tried, but stoped playing when I got to the part where you have to save the watch contact , I tried again, I almost stoped again when I enoucnter 14 ****ing wizards right in front as soon as I exited a building (who ALL died in one or two hits), and only continued because I had had nothing else to play. It get better (not much) but signicently worse before that (ughh, the orc caves, why they decided to send so many foes at the player...). I also couldn't help notice that all the entirety of act II seems to be one big tumor in the quest of getting to the Jerro Estate

If I don't finish before ToEE comes, I likely never will.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Play the OC if you want, but as soon as you find yourself getting bored jump to MotB or you may never get to it.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Stop with these threads, this is like the 20th of them. Normally I wouldn't give a fuck (yo), but there's always someone who says that you should play the OC in the thread. Don't fucking play it, masturbate instead. Now, someone's gonna come in and tell us how awesome it is, etc, then it's going to come down to a mixed opinion, and everyone's going to be useless. The truth is clear and should not be shielded : it sucks, don't play it, no mixed opinions

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You are an idiot. The end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom