Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just picked up Motb and SoZ...

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Everyone says MotB is the highlight so far, so I'm thinking I should save that for last.

Any thoughts? (I ask because I've been patching for an hour.)

Texas Red

Whiner
You want my thoughts? My wisdom is not to be taken lightly. Don't bother with the opinions of Codexers and play the game yourself first. It's pretty obvious how, after reading a bunch of negative comments, many here became extremely biased and quit some particular game after an hour because of preexisting notions.

Beans00

Erudite
there both fuckin shit, you jus wasted your money and gave the worst rpg dev around your cash

THANKS

Livonya

Augur
Patron
Sovard said:
Everyone says MotB is the highlight so far, so I'm thinking I should save that for last.

Any thoughts? (I ask because I've been patching for an hour.)

I also just recenlty (within the last 30 days bought) NWN2 gold and SoZ.

I played SoZ for a bit, and am now going back to doing the NWN2 OC first.

I am not sure if I will actually get through the OC but it does help to figure out how the game works, and how the D&D rules were implemented.

I would suggest at least doing some of the OC first, as it has been helpful to me.

Yes, the OC is pretty bad. I didn't realize how bad it was until I tried to start a second OC game only to discover that all the dialog choices are nearly pointless as the story dictates everything.

There is a bit of C&C in the OC, but it is so rigid that it is just pointless. My character is Chaotic Good, and at first I took the dishonest route but then wanted to change sides as that route was simply too evil for me... but the game doesn't allow me to change my mind, which is just lame. There should be something between good path and evil path. In fact both paths seem Lawful to me as I can't deviate from the path I have been given.

- Livonya

MetalCraze

Arcane
OC and SoZ are both shit.
But OC is actually interesting for the first several hours - and only because you're hoping that it will get better. SoZ is just a boring overland map with no interesting stuff and lots of sucky combat.

Starwars

Arcane
If you can stand the OC, I'd play through them in the order of release since they kinda reference one another. I have no idea how skyway think it's interesting for the first hours (it starts off really shitty and gradually works its way up to OK) though.

If you can't be bothered then just read up on what happens in the OC and continue on with MotB.

When playing SoZ, make a party where you have a designated overland map leader with at least some ranks in the important skills. Rogues and Rangers work well.

Livonya

Augur
Patron
skyway said:
OC and SoZ are both shit.
But OC is actually interesting for the first several hours - and only because you're hoping that it will get better. SoZ is just a boring overland map with no interesting stuff and lots of sucky combat.

So far I have enjoyed SoZ more.

At least with it I got to make my own party and I am not forced to fight through dozens of the same exact monster over and over again.

I am working on the OC as I await a patch for SoZ to fix the trade bugs as I think I will enjoy SoZ much more, but have the patience to wait for a patch.

- Livonya

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
OC is boring at first but gains momentum as it goes. MOTB is great roleplaying albeit with the engine and combat flaws of the nwn2 engine. SoZ I haven't played so far. Sounds like it could use a patch though, so you might want to hold it off for awhile.

Personally I would just play them in the order of release.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'd go through them in order or release.

Personally, I found the OC decent once you got through the first chapter where most of the horrible huge dungeons with identical enemies are to be found.

MoTB would have been really good on a different engine but is still decent despite the toolset it was made with.

Only just started SoZ and so far I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Silellak

Cipher
DemonKing said:
I'd go through them in order or release.

Personally, I found the OC decent once you got through the first chapter where most of the horrible huge dungeons with identical enemies are to be found.

MoTB would have been really good on a different engine but is still decent despite the toolset it was made with.

Only just started SoZ and so far I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Yes, I think the OC vastly improves as you get further into the game.

It's not an amazing game or anything, but I enjoyed it, and it was far, far better than the OC for NWN1.

I agree that you should play them in order.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Play PC, and MOTB. Ignore the fuck out of one of the shittiest games ever - otherwise known as THA SOZ aka Shit Oops Zero aka Shitty Game... Oops, I Can't Believe I Bought This Shitty Game... Zero Is What This Shitty Game Is Rated.

GAME OVER, soz, GAME OVER!

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
Since you bought SoZ, you may as well give it a try. Some people seem to like it, no matter what my personal opinion may be.

Keep in mind I never played past the first part of the game anyway, which lowers the value of my opinion.
I agree.

Kogorn

Novice
In my opinion, MoTB and SoZ are equally as good, just in different ways. MoTB focuses more on roleplaying and getting your character involved in a deep story. It makes your character the center of attention, lets you get powerful equipment, and gives you cool, well thought out npc companions. However, if you like to explore, it sucks. Although you sometimes have a choice of order in which you want to accomplish things, there's otherwise little in the ways of free-roaming, exploration, etc.

SoZ, is about equally as good, but it focuses more on adventuring, exploring, and making a name for a party of people rather than one character. It puts less emphasis on the story and npcs, but they are still there, and have their interesting points. The dungeons are smaller, but they each have their own unique feel, which makes you feel like you're exploring more of a "world" rather than just an area. People say a variety of things bashing the game, but the main reason I think people don't care for SoZ is that it doesn't make you the center of attention. Sure, your party is important, but there are other things going on in the world to that you have to take the INITIATIVE to get involved in rather than having it spoonfed to you. Combat is also more difficult, and occasionally (espec. the last boss) I felt like I wanted to slam my keyboard repeatedly against the desk. But, it felt great once I finished these hard battles. In other words, SoZ includes a lot of lost elements in gaming that SHOULD make a return; it has put back in several things that others have taken out of games to "dumb them down." It includes exploration, difficult battles, a dynamic world and rewards the player for their ingenuity instead of only the time invested. IMO, it's slightly better than MoTB.

Deleted member 7219

Kogorn said:
In my opinion, MoTB and SoZ are equally as good, just in different ways. MoTB focuses more on roleplaying and getting your character involved in a deep story. It makes your character the center of attention, lets you get powerful equipment, and gives you cool, well thought out npc companions. However, if you like to explore, it sucks. Although you sometimes have a choice of order in which you want to accomplish things, there's otherwise little in the ways of free-roaming, exploration, etc.

SoZ, is about equally as good, but it focuses more on adventuring, exploring, and making a name for a party of people rather than one character. It puts less emphasis on the story and npcs, but they are still there, and have their interesting points. The dungeons are smaller, but they each have their own unique feel, which makes you feel like you're exploring more of a "world" rather than just an area. People say a variety of things bashing the game, but the main reason I think people don't care for SoZ is that it doesn't make you the center of attention. Sure, your party is important, but there are other things going on in the world to that you have to take the INITIATIVE to get involved in rather than having it spoonfed to you. Combat is also more difficult, and occasionally (espec. the last boss) I felt like I wanted to slam my keyboard repeatedly against the desk. But, it felt great once I finished these hard battles. In other words, SoZ includes a lot of lost elements in gaming that SHOULD make a return; it has put back in several things that others have taken out of games to "dumb them down." It includes exploration, difficult battles, a dynamic world and rewards the player for their ingenuity instead of only the time invested. IMO, it's slightly better than MoTB.

No.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom