Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just pirated windows

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Windows 3.11 that is, to run Cosmology of Kyoto in dosbox.
Had to change the graphics driver from true color to 256 too.
Put CoK into autostart.

feels bad man

baronjohn

Cipher
You should've just installed Linux. WINE can run 16 bit Windows applications on x86-64

Unlike Windows :smug:

Destroid

Arcane
98 could boot into the 3.1 shell by changing an ini file, was a pretty amusing prank for lan parties.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
What's wrong SCO? Wasn't Wine supposed to be the second coming?... ah I can't do this.

Really curious though, why did you have to resort to an actual Windows and not Wine?

I remember CoK not running very well in 98. I should try it through DOSBox again if I can find a way to get my Win 3.1 off the floppies...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
baronjohn said:
You should've just installed Linux. WINE can run 16 bit Windows applications on x86-64

Unlike Windows :smug:

Actually, this one it can't. I resolved to do it this way too because (unlike interstate '76), putting CoK in the same folder as Blade Runner seems like a classification error. If it runs in win 3.11, it runs on dosbox (and it's actually very easy to do it, there are preinstalled packs). I just took one of these packs, and put in a bat file in the same folder as the windows dir and the CoK dir, and ripped out the dosbox exe and config files (i don't run included dosbox packages, that is gay), changed the driver (cd win, setup).
In the bat file i start windows with the CoK executable as a argument. This makes it autostart once win 3.11 starts.

I'm currently trying to find a regression that fucks up Salammbo (if you've visited the adventure sub-forum recently) on wine.

Love this shit.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Neither. win 3.11 is just a minimal api over dos. I just needed to put win in a dir, like so:
Cosmology of Kyoto/
|-- AUTOEXEC.BAT
|-- cok.bat
|-- CONFIG.SYS
|-- coskyoto
|-- MPLAYER
|-- SB16
|-- Util
|-- WIN32APP
|-- WINDOWS
`-- WING

Run cok.bat and (by default) dosbox automounts the current dir as c
(from bash run : dosbox cok.bat)

That runs windows, that runs the game (as explained in my previous post).
That's it.

zeitgeist

Magister
I still remember that infamous Ebert's review of the game that, at the time, made Cosmology of Kyoto sound like the best game ever made. Then it turned out that it was in fact the only game he ever really played. It's still an interesting game, but in retrospect, you can see how it's the perfect example of a review you'd get from a person who generally doesn't play games. Even in its brevity, if you compare it with modern reviews by clueless reviewers, you'll see similarities - the things they are impressed by, the aspects of the game they choose to talk about and the aspects they are too uninformed to mention, and so on.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I like what Win3.11 when installing politely asks you what to do with config.sys and autoexec.bat. Should it modify them or fuck off. Win95 was not so gracious and commented line where I run mouse driver, thus making keyrus.com (keyboard/display driver what I used since MS DOS 5.0, slightly unstable in Windows) first loaded program and hung-up my computer.
/nostalgic rant

Luzur

Good Sir
vxywk4.jpg

:smug:

Quilty

Magister
pipka said:
What don't you have on your shelves, Luzur?

I bet he even has a boxed copy of Age of Decadence with a cloth map in it. :shock:

Luzur

Good Sir
not much in OS way though, but i got Windows 3.00, DOS 3.30, GEOS 128 and Norton Commander fully boxed in original package.

Luzur

Good Sir
it just fuels me onward, like the tolling of some great bell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom