Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Katawa Shoujo: I love you just the way you are...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Heh, nice shit, but enough with da short-as-fuck updates... Giv' us sumthin' to read next time, bitch!

ED: I know. I just got back from company dinner, and my stomach's acting up again.

07.jpg

Glancing around the class, even the bubbly, ever-energetic Misha seems oddly deflated. She sits at her desk, nervously chewing a pen while Mutou lectures from the front of the class.

Wait...on closer inspection, I do believe she's eating it.

Tearing my eyes from the sorry spectacle, I turn my attention elsewhere.
Hanako sits frantically scribbling in her notebook, her face mere inches away from the page, seemingly trying to record every word that leaves Mutou's mouth.

Shizune's, well...Shizune. Cool as a cucumber, she sits diligently taking notes with her attention wholly focused on the front of the class.
Truth be told, it's what I should be doing as well, if not for the fact that I feel like I have a pretty good handle on what's being covered already.
I wonder how Lilly's doing. While she does have a good head on her, she has plenty on her plate, unlike me. Her class representative duties, taking care of Hanako, her other social contacts, her extra English studies... that girl really does take on a lot.

*Ding Dong*

The lunch time bell brings a sigh of relief from the entire class, Mutou being no exception. I get the feeling he much prefers the more laid-back atmosphere of his normal classes to the frantic pace of exam preparation we're subjected to right now.

mi.jpg
Hicchan~...
08.jpg

I lower my eyelids to half-mast, making clear my intention of doing quite the opposite.

mi.jpg
Help me, help me, help me~...
me.jpg
Not going well?
mi.jpg
Shicchan's going to be fine, but I think I might die. Am I going to die, Hicchan? Will you let me die from all this work?

How maudlin. Given that she's neither the brightest student in the class, nor the most diligent, it isn't a great surprise that she's finding it hard to cope with the workload.

me.jpg
Sorry Misha, but I've got my own work to do. I thought you and Shizune would be studying together over the long weekend, anyway?
mi.jpg
Studying's too boring to waste a holiday on, Hicchan! Shopping together was much more fun, wasn't it, Shicchan?

It is only now that I realize Shizune's been looking over to us, and that Misha's arms have been moving likely all this time. I must be really zoned out to not have noticed.

me.jpg
What is it with girls and shopping, anyway? Even Lilly and Hanako have dragged me out with them a couple of times.
mi-grin.jpg
But you went anyway? It's so rare to see a guy that likes going shopping~...
me.jpg
Well, my role would probably be best described as 'pack mule'. I can't say I share your enthusiasm about the experience.
me.jpg
Back to the exams; you studied after you got back from the days off, didn't you, Shizune?
shi.jpg
mi.jpg
Of course, Hicchan. It's only sensible to study in the days before...
mi.jpg
U~rgh.

Misha makes a sound vaguely similar to a dying cow as she realizes her folly and unceremoniously flops onto her desk, betrayed even by her best friend.
Judging from Shizune's quite frustrated look at Misha, she probably told her to study as she did.

me.jpg
Don't worry, you can still gain some marks if you start studying now.
me.jpg
Maybe.

Misha does not seem overly amused. It seems the bubbly balloon of everlasting cheerfulness has been cruelly popped.

shi.jpg

Shizune's signing goes unnoticed by the moping Misha, earning her a quick poke in the shoulder. It takes barely a moment for Misha to get back into form.

mi.jpg
Oh, ah, so what did you do over the weekend, Hicchan?
me.jpg
Just took a trip up north with Lilly and Hanako. It was pretty nice.

I see both of them narrowing their eyes at me, their minds surely in the gutter. The fact that their suspicions are founded makes the situation all the more awkward.

me.jpg
We just studied and went sightseeing; there's nothing more to it.
mi.jpg
Hmmm~...

After such a flagrant lie, I realize that it may not have been the best step, considering Shizune's connections and her total lack of restraint when it comes to questioning someone she suspects of telling untruths.
I really have no idea of how she's going to take it, but she'll find out eventually anyway. It isn't as if it's really her business whom I date, in any case.

me.jpg
And yes, Lilly and I are going out now.
09.jpg

shi.jpg
mi.jpg
Whomever you date is your business, I hope you two go well together.

Misha gives a look that says this is the most quarter I could possibly receive on the matter. It's all I wanted, really.
After she says this, though, Shizune begins to sign something else, then stops herself and shakes her head at Misha to prevent her from translating.

Normally I'd think this strange enough, but the awkwardly casual wave Shizune gives before walking off with Misha in tow adds to my confusion. Shizune's hardly the kind of person to pull a punch or communicate without forethought.

I shrug my shoulders at the duo's odd behavior and look towards Hanako's desk, but see that her chair's empty. She was definitely here before, so I guess she just didn't feel like waiting.
I'll go grab some food alone, then.

Walking down the hallway to the unused room that's become a second home to three students in particular, I mournfully look down at the plastic-wrapped salad roll and juice box in my hand.
The cafeteria's food really is unappetizing. Maybe I'll consider this my penance for my recent indiscretions.
Opening the door, I notice one less quiet figure than I'd expected.

10.jpg

Just as she did then, she slowly opens her eyes, unmoving as they are, and calmly addressed me.

11.jpg

me.jpg
It's afternoon, I think.
me.jpg
Has Hanako been around? She skittered out of class without me even noticing.

Lilly cradles her cheek thoughtfully as I take a seat, my bag taking its place against the closest leg of the table and my unsatisfying meal neatly set out in front of me.

lilly-sad.jpg
She did appear ... for a time. She said she had to study for the upcoming exams, and left for the library.

We find ourselves not entirely believing her words.

me.jpg
Well, at least her intentions are in the right place.
lilly-sad.jpg
She is sweet, but she needn't go this far to let us have our space. I might talk to her about it sometime.
me.jpg
Probably for the best.

For a while we quietly eat our meals, Lilly elegantly nibbling on her sandwiches and sipping her tea as I eat what tastes like a garden sandwiched in dry dough.
The atmosphere feels slightly strained, neither of us knowing quite what to say to each other now that our small talk has dried up.
Eventually we both finish our food, with no conversation forthcoming for quite some time. Eventually, though, Lilly's soft voice breaks the silence.

lilly-sad.jpg
A lot happened back there... didn't it?
me.jpg
Mm.

:hmmm:

Again, silence. With both our minds on the same topic, though, I think I have my feelings on that sorted out.

me.jpg
I know everything happened in a kind of a hurry, but... I don't regret anything that happened in Hokkaido. Not one thing.
lilly.jpg
Hisao...?

Slightly tense, I take her hands in mine; half to feel her, half to settle my own nerves.

me.jpg
I stand by my words back there, Lilly. I love you, and I won't leave you. I only wish for you to think the same.

She silently reflects for a long time, which feels like an eternity.
Her reverie comes to an end as she takes one hand from mine, placing it over them as she leans her body forwards and stands out of her chair.
After a moment's of hesitation, her face slightly pensive, her lips meet mine for a brief moment.

My mind feels as if it briefly stopped at that moment, barely registering Lilly sitting back in her hair and smiling back at me with ever so slightly reddened cheeks.

lilly-smile.jpg
Hearing that makes me very happy, Hisao. I would be glad to stay with you.
me.jpg
Maybe it would be good to slow things down a bit, compared to before. We still have school, after all, and our exams.

She gives a mischievous giggle, which proves to be contagious.

lilly-laugh.jpg
That might be a good idea indeed.
lilly.jpg
Do you think you'll fare well in your exams? It's only one day until they arrive, as you say.
me.jpg
I probably should have studied more, but I think I've got a good enough head to manage.
me.jpg
That said, I had to bat off Misha and Shizune. Is your class as worried about the exams as mine?

She lets out an exasperated sigh, all but confirming it. I'm thankful for the atmosphere becoming a bit lighter.

lilly.jpg
I think so. I've already been asked for help by two of my classmates, and there'll no doubt be more.
me.jpg
Think of it as your first training in being a teacher, maybe?
lilly.jpg
That's probably a good way to think of it.
lilly.jpg
On that note, how are you faring in your English studies? I remember it was far from your strongest subject, and the few sentences you memorized to speak my mother aren't likely to help.

Damn, right on the mark.

me.jpg
You got me. If you don't mind, would you be able to possibly help in that regard? Please?
lilly-laugh.jpg
It would be my pleasure to help you, Hisao. But in exchange...

She lowers her eyebrows at me, her coquettish nature tentatively coming to the fore.

me.jpg
No problem at all. You'd probably be better off with some help in your studies, though.

She beams a smile at me, one of girlish victory that nearly makes me blush. I get the feeling she's aware of how to use her face to twist my judgment, so I should probably be more on guard.
Here and now though, a study group seems like an expedient way for both of us to shore up our more lacking skills.

*Ding Dong*

The school bell rings out, reminding us that time isn't going to stand still.

me.jpg
Huh, lunchtime's over already. It sure is easy to lose track of the time here.
lilly.jpg
This room's so far from the other clubs and activities, not much sound can reach us. That's probably most of the reason why.

A place far from all the others, alone with just one person whom she loves. As Lilly stands and collects her bag and cane, my thoughts are cast back to the time we spent in Hokkaido.

lilly-smile.jpg
Ah, before I go; Akira and I are having a homecoming party in my room tomorrow. Will you be able to come?

...and back again.

me.jpg
My schedule is free, so I should be able to make enough room in my study time to make it.
lilly.jpg
Good to hear, Hisao.
me.jpg
For what's it's worth, I'm glad you're back from Scotland. Once exams are over, we should have some more time to ourselves.
lilly.jpg
Mm. Holidays start soon after, too.
me.jpg
We can start the holidays with Tanabata then, just as we promised at the school festival.

She brings her hand to her cheeks and laughs slightly nervously, recalling the event as I silently thank myself for managing to remember.
It seems odds to see her react in such a way, though it's not like I never saw her embarrassed before.

lilly.jpg
I'd... better be going. Farewell, Hisao.
me.jpg
Bye.

Whether it's out of habit or just a stubborn desire for one small fragment of normality, I hold my hand up in farewell just as I always do. At least I'm consciously aware that I'm doing it now.
I think I'm beginning to see a bigger picture than I ever have before, not only with Lilly but also my life ahead.

12.jpg

The chains of my past are finally breaking.

corvus

Arcane
It seems like you wanna just burn through the rest of this act, 47. I wouldn't blame you, Lilly's story is pretty bland and contrived with too much soap opera stuff. That said, I hope you manage to get to the end, cause if people were pissed by the contrivance with Hisao and Lilly hooking up they'll love the conclusion. :smug:

RK47

Patron
13.jpg

It doesn't take long to identify the source as Lilly's room, though the deep timbre of the female voices unmistakably belongs not to her, but to her sister.
I rap my knuckles on the door with the usual three light taps, my hand barely retreating as the door swings open.

akira.jpg
Hey. Hisao.
me.jpg
Hey. Hello Lilly, Hanako.
14.jpg

ED: A foursome seems out of the question.

It would be a flagrant lie to say I dislike the sight of her in those pajamas.
I catch Akira giving me a sidelong look with a knowing rin, to which I reply with a sharp glare.
She takes the hint, shrugs and walks back to the low table in the center of the room. As I go to join her, Lilly gives me a nod of greeting and starts pouring me a cup of tea.

me.jpg
It's nice to see you again, Hanako. You've been getting around recently.

Lilly wears a look of concentration as the light brown liquid, carefully measured by her finger as always, flows from the teapot into the cup.

lilly.jpg
It seems Hanako has taken up helping one of the people in your class with the newspaper club. Naomi, I think?

ED: That name means nothing to me.

Hanako gives an affirmative nod.
Even after spending about two months in the class, I still have trouble remembering the names of those students I rarely talk with.
It takes me a few mental contortions to connect the name with a face, but I eventually remember the girl that sits beside Hanako at the back of the class.

Naomi Inoue. A fairly average-looking girl, except for her bleached blonde hair.
Given her upbeat and straightforward personality, Naomi may have seen an opening to poach Hanako for her club when she enquired about joining one.
Either way, it's nice to see Hanako broadening her horizons. When I first met her, the idea of her joining a club with anyone but Lilly would have seemed utterly laughable.

me.jpg
That'd explain how busy you've been. Enjoying it?
han.jpg
Mm. It's ... really interesting.

As always, Hanako's far from being talkative. Some things never change, and it seems that Hanako's personality is one of them; she'll likely always be one to shy away from being overly social.
Warned by the sound of crockery against the table as Lilly gently places my drink in front of me, I thank her and take a long sip. Hanako and Lilly are attending to their own, and Akira is quaffing a mug of strong-smelling black coffee.

akira-smile.jpg
You're a lucky bastard, Hisao.
me.jpg
Huh?

I can't help grimacing at her teasing smile, still visible around the edges of the mug pressed to her lips.

akira.jpg
Seeing my sister n her pajamas, there's a lotta men out there who'd like to be where you are.

ED: Too late, bozo. They already fucked.

I've seen a lot more than that of her, not that I'd admit it.

lilly.jpg
Akira!
akira.jpg
Hey, I'm just teasing.

She leans over to me as much as she can, whispering with a sly grin written on her face.

15.jpg

ED: *Hurl*

me.jpg
Hey, it was her idea.
han.jpg
Um, I... uh..

We both look over to her, her face turned to the ground and her hands fidgeting in the lap of her nightgown.

16.jpg

ED: Gott in Himmel.

Ah, this could be bad. I know Hanako's altogether too innocent to bother reading too much into such a thing, but the expresison Akira directs at me is positively stormy.

ED: Akira should wear pajamas, too. Fu fu fu fu. :smug:

lilly-sad.jpg
Umm..Akira...please.

It seems Lilly can sense Akira's sudden change in aura just as well as I, without seeing it for herself.
Akira slowly looks away from me, like an attack dog leashed by its owner in the nick of time. I breathe a sigh of relief.

I can't think of a more appropriate time to try and change the topics than around now.

me.jpg
If you don't mind me asking. Akira, what do you do for a living? I've never seen you out of that suit.
akira.jpg
Thinking of what to do with yourself after school's over, eh?
akira.jpg
I'm a lawyer. For the most part, I work in the legal department of the Japanese branch for our family's company.
akira.jpg
The most boring possible answer, I suppose. Law's a pretty dry topic to most people.
me.jpg
Kinda.
akira-smile.jpg
Oi, you're not supposed to agree.

Lilly gives an amused giggle while holding her teacup and saucer, Hanako quickly joining her.

This friendly atmosphere between everyone is something I'd missed while Lilly and Akira were on their trip. While the dealings I had with Hanako didn't help, I think just not having Lilly around changed the mood.

lilly-smile.jpg
It's nice to be back. I missed you, Hisao, and you too, Hanako.
me.jpg
Same goes for the both of us. I'm guessing your classmates were happy to see you back.

ED: Yeah, I *see*.

lilly-smile.jpg
In a manner of speaking, yes.

Akira's amused snort shows she's well aware of Lilly's attitude towards such figures of speech. I imagine she'd have to be, given how long they've been together.

han.jpg
Did you have fun in Scotland?

For a moment I wonder why she's asking, it having been quite a while since they came back, but then I remember everything that happened. We've simply not had time to look back, what with the exams and our Hokkaido trip.

lilly-sad.jpg

Lilly's face goes distant for a moment, and the fact that Akira's first reaction is to look over to her sister doesn't escape me. Nonetheless, she quickly collects herself.

lilly.jpg
It was ... nice. I ... we...hadn't met our family in such a long time, so it was a wonderful reunion.
akira-question.jpg
Yeah, I guess that's right. Their house being beach-side was the best part, though.

From her dismissive tone, I get the feeling Akira doesn't like their family as much as Lilly does.

lilly-smile.jpg
You only like that because you finally had time to play around.
akira-smile.jpg
Just' cause I'm the better swimmer.
lilly.jpg
I don't take after the athletic side of the family, that's all.
akira.jpg
Well, you can take heart in the fact that you got the height genes at least.
akira-question.jpg
And the bust genes...
lilly.jpg
That's not really the right kind of thing to say around others..

Though Lilly pretends to scold Akira, she does so with an unmistakable, slightly cheeky grin on her face.
I doubt Akira really minds that, judging from her nonchalant expression. While I don't either, Hanako's looking down and blushing furiously beside me.
The sisters' antics aside, their parents really do lead a bourgeois lifestyle.
It seems utterly divorced from the life that Lilly and Akira have lived until now. I suppose practicality must have made the decision for them.

To have come from such a wealthy and well-connected lineage only adds to the almost noble air Lilly seems to have, though. It's a small wonder none of it seems to have rubbed off onto Akira.
They really are as little alike as siblings could be. Their only similarity seems to be their shared confidence, which can be both endearing and a headache at times.

Time passes...

Most of the night continues much the same, with Hanako eventually leaving the Satou sisters and I to ourselves as she heads back to her dorm room for a rest.
For a while, only the barely audible sound from Lilly's teacup and saucer can occasionally be heard as she slowly drinks. The silence is strained as Lilly and I wait for the elephant in the room to be addressed.

akira-question.jpg
So...

ED: Yes, they fucked.

Lilly dutifully puts her cup down, giving her sister her undivided attention.
With Lilly and I on one side of the low table and Akira at the other, this almost feels like a judge passing down a verdict.

akira.jpg
I hear that you two are going out now?

I glance sideways at Lilly to confirm her as the source of Akira's knowledge. She gives a gentle nod to Akira, which I mirror in affirmation.
Deciding that this is the proper time and place to do so, and Akira being the closest figure to a parent Lilly's had for much of her life, I bow deeply with my hands on the floor before me and my head very nearly the same.

ED: This is overkill, bro. I mean, you're both 18.

me.jpg
I'll take good care of your sister, Akira. I promise you.
lilly.jpg
See? He's a lovely young gentleman.

She must've heard my voice coming from a lower position than usual.
I slowly bring myself back up, my eyes tentatively looking to Akira from under my brow.

To tell the truth, I very much doubt my suited judge will raise any objections. She's very definitely the type to make her disapproval with others well known, something that lends her a measure of respect in my eyes.

akira-smile.jpg
The old-fashioned kind, huh? Well, he's the kind of person I guessed you'd go for.
akira.jpg
I don't have a problem with it, and I wish you two the best. Even if I didn't like it, I couldn't really do anything anyway.

I offer a nod of appreciation to her as Lilly gives a small sigh of relief, likely more out of duty than any actual belief Akira might have had any problems with us being together.

akira.jpg
I do wonder though...how's the rest of the family taking it, particularly the part residing at Yamaku? Have you told her?

Smiles turn to grimaces as Akira grins downright evilly. Those closest know how to twist the knife best, after all.

lilly.jpg
'Putting up with it' may be the best term for the situation. Don't you agree, Hisao?
me.jpg
Yeah, that sounds about right. At least she's being reasonable about it.
akira-question.jpg
Good to hear. That girl can be a handful at the best at times.
akira.jpg
We sent a few messages back and forth during and just after the trip, and she was already busting my chops for seeing my boyfriend when we came back, after leaving Hideaki for so long. She really does care for the little guy.

ED: ...I don't quite get why it's your responsibility to take care of Little Tranny.

I cast my mind back to Shizune's odd reaction after telling her about our relationship, but decide not to bring it up. It's no doubt simply born of their mutual antiphaty, and Akira's comments only back that up.

akira-question.jpg
Well then, that's settled. Gotta get to work early tomorrow, so I'd better be off.

She rises from the table with a grunt, her hand on her knee to push herself up. I just notice Akira's eyes lingering on Lilly for a couple of seconds before turning away, as she begins to take her leave.

As she walks out of the door, she stops and looks up thoughtfully before turning to us one last time.

akira-frown.jpg
Oh yeah, I almost forgot to tell you.
akira.jpg
Use protection. Every time.

ED: Too late.

I gag violently on the tea in my mouth. Contrary to my own, Lilly's composure holds perfectly as she seems entirely unfazed. I'm kind of impressed.

lilly.jpg
We are, don't worry.
akira.jpg
Atta girl. Seeyas.

And with that she turns and strides out of the door, a hand held high as she disappears into the hallway, closing the door behind her.
The most reaction I can muster is flopping forwards onto the table, completely drained of energy and truly exhausted by her.

ED: Bullshit, you're both alone now. It's fucking time.

Lilly's ability to hold her own against that suited devil is something I admire.

me.jpg
She's incredibly blunt. I don't think I'll ever be able to keep up with your sister's energy.

As I feel Lilly's soft hand coming to rest on my own, I roll my head to the side to see her gently smiling. For a long time, we simply sit beside each other silenty.

Given her unquestionably unusual height, she is pretty much exactly as tall as I am; probagbly a couple of centimeters higher if anything. Like this, she appears even taller.

The feeling of her pale, soft hand against mine is a pleasant one, as is the sight of the thin silken pajamas she wears, showing her curves and collarbone.

lilly.jpg
You do get on well though, even if you do say that.
me.jpg
I guess. You know, you two are a lot more alike than I first thought when I met you.
lilly-smile.jpg
Then it's a good thing I quickly stopped you from going after her, isn't it?

Though she jokes about it, my assessment of my inability to keep up with Akira, either physically or mentally, was quite in earnest.

Lilly's slow-paced and ladylike, almost motherly, nature is perhaps the single that helped me most in my first weeks at Yamaku.

Come to think of it...

me.jpg
Wait...since when were we using protection?

ED: A little slow, aren't we?

As I give a curious look to my side, Lilly's cheeks puff out as she huffs at me.

lilly-pout.jpg
Unlike you, I remembered. The packet is in the cupboard next to the sink.

ED: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

So, I'm not the only one of us that takes a pill. In a hindsight, I feel rather thoughtless for not remembering at all and leaving it to Lilly.

Looking over to the cupboard she mentions, I notice against the knee-high piles of books around us that were here the other times I'd visited. For the most part they're lined up against the wall to give a little more room around the table.

me.jpg
Why don't you get a bookshelf for your books? It's odd to see books just piled around, especially given that your room looks so neat and orderly otherwise.
lilly.jpg
They're easier to find this way; I know exactly which pile each book is in.
me.jpg
Wouldn't you still know that after putting each set on a different shelf?
lilly.jpg
That may be, but...

So she's not immune to bouts of laziness after all.

me.jpg
You have so many of them, it's kind of a shame we can't share our book sets despite both of us reading so much.

She gives a short giggle.

me.jpg
Come to think of it, why do you order your books through Yuuko? I imagine there'd be plenty of sites you could order books in Braille from, especially in English Braille. There are a lot of text-to-speech programs, too.

She turns her head slightly away from me, which strikes me as somewhat surprising.

ED: I can't imagine using the internet with eyes closed.

lilly.jpg
I'm just...not all that good with computers. I'm all right with typewriters and brailles...but that's about it.

Her tone almost makes me chuckle. She's a prideful person, so admitting something like that must be difficult.
So Lilly's the low-tech kind of person. Given her old-fashioned personality, it's not really a stunning surprise.

me.jpg
I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people aren't really that good with them, so it's not that unusual.
lilly-sad.jpg
'That' unusual...

Now she's even more depressed. It feels like I'm twisting the knife, rather than healing her wounds.

ED: She's just using you. Probably prepping her condom as we speak.

With a bit of squirming I shuffle my way closer to her, tentatively putting one had around her waist to hug her. I'm still not really used to this kind of physical affection, but Lilly seems to like it.

17.jpg

ED: What?! Weren't we talking about internet book ordering? How did it come to this?

This way, every one of my senses is filled with her. The barely perceptible scent of her hair, her taste as her tongue fleetingly touches mine, the tenderness of her lips, the image of her filling my mind, the total silence apart from her faint breath...

ED: Oh, don't mind me. Go ahead. Have sex. Totally appropriate.

We may have kissed before, but even if this is more a kiss of simple affection than anything, it's still a new and pleasant sensation.

Judging from her vivid blush as she pulls back, it's obvious she feels the same as I do: even if we're entirely alone, it still feels a little embarrassing to open up to each other this much.

lilly.jpg
If we take everything day by day, I think that would be best. Small steps, right?
me.jpg
Yeah. Just small steps.

We have plenty of time to be together, even after the school year is over. As long as we move together, I think everything will work out okay, neither of us is going anywhere soon, after all.

ED: You've lost me.

For now, I'm just thankful for this small moment in time we can spend together.

RK47

Patron
It seems like you wanna just burn through the rest of this act, 47. I wouldn't blame you, Lilly's story is pretty bland and contrived with too much soap opera stuff. That said, I hope you manage to get to the end, cause if people were pissed by the contrivance with Hisao and Lilly hooking up they'll love the conclusion. :smug:

I'll take your word for it, bro. I'm like...depressed over this whole dip in quality. Reminds me of the Dance with Rogues LP.

lightbane

Arcane
I say that you should abandon this shitty game as soon as you're done, then lp Saya no Uta, a truly Codexian visual novel...

corvus

Arcane
I'll take your word for it, bro. I'm like...depressed over this whole dip in quality. Reminds me of the Dance with Rogues LP.

Honestly, if it's just the story quality that messed with you I'd recommend giving Rin a shot on your own, it's much different from the other girls (though more melancholic, I never thought it dipped into melodrama), and has some nice touches with some symbolism and art references. Hisao's still an asocial aspie though, so there's one constant through every story at least.

And I second what lightbane said, I'm interested in visual novels now and your LP style is very entertaining.

AND one more thing: there's no retarded "OOP we better use protection! Stay safe, kids!" shit in Rin's route either. Lilly mentioning being on the pill outta nowhere, and something similar happens with Hanako. Fuckin' :lol:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I say that you should abandon this shitty game as soon as you're done, then lp Saya no Uta, a truly Codexian visual novel...

Saya no Uta is the perfect metaphor for a disgruntled RPG fan having an epiphany and discovering the Codex. Everything fits so well, it can't be coincidence!

RK47

Patron
After what happened here, I doubt I wanna do another visual novel LP.
XD Especially a mind-fucking one.

The next day...

I stand unmoving in front of the door to the nurse's office for what fees like a dozen minutes or so.

It's not like I never entered the small, beige room before, nor is it because of any feeling of childlike anxiety over the visit.
Maybe it's because the nurse's office is akin to a confessional, an admission that my body is flawed. The knowledge that such a fact is kept entirely confidential between the nurse and I hardly lessens the feeling.
Remembering that the bell to signal the end of lunch break will sound soon, I give a sigh and open the door. The burden will stay with me just this while longer.

01.jpg

nurse.jpg
Or bad, I guess, considering that I'm a nurse.

He gives a small laugh, amused at his little joke. I find his humor lacking and somewhat off, but the fact that he can make light of such a situation is perhaps comforting, or at least distracting.

His brief episode of entertainment over, he claps his hands together and gets down to business. I take a seat as he gestures for me to do so.
I wish the classrooms had seats this comfortable. I can feel my mind wandering as my eyes quickly scan the room, distracted by all the small changes since I last came.

nurse-wink.jpg
Alrighty, so what brings you here? I haven't seen you often, so I assume your health's been good so far?
me.jpg
Well, mostly.
nurse.jpg
I see.

His smile drops as I trail off. I feel slightly guilty about it. It's these moments when I can't rationally call myself 'normal' that makes me so reluctant to see the nurse. They're an admission that I'm different from everyone else.

ED: This again?

me.jpg
While I was on a trip during the long weekend, I had a few problems with my heart.

He hums very seriously and nods as he does so, urging me to go on.

me.jpg
I think it was ... yeah, it was as I was walking a fairly long distance. I think the right term for it is a heart flutter.

ED: Uh, you simply forgot to take your meds, bro. Did you tell him?

me.jpg
I suddenly went weak at the knees and felt almost like I was having a small heart attack, but it passed in about half a minute. Even afterward though, I felt pretty fatigued and nauseous.
nurse.jpg
Hrm. Not good. Not good at all.
nurse.jpg
That was how many days ago, exactly? Did you do anything unusual, aside from exerting yourself, before the episode? Were you taking your medication properly?

ED: Oh, right on the mark.

The nurse switches from awkward jokester to serious health professional mode, rattling off questions, making notes and calling stuff up from his computer.
I tell him about my forgetting to take my pills that morning, and the preceding evening. It was a stupid thing to do, but I can't change anything about it now, except answer honestly and bite the bullet.
His seriousness evolves into a frown, and a the talk evolves into an instant checkup.

Time passes...

I finish buttoning up my shirt and again get motioned to take a seat in front of the nurse.

nurse.jpg
Is this the first heart problem you've had since coming to Yamaku?
me.jpg
I've had short pains in my chest before, just a couple of times, but they were more discomfort than anything like this.

He leans back in his chair, briefly resembling a white-coated Poirot as he mulls over the mysterious case of the heart flutter.
Moving his lips from side to side to show he's thinking, his non-existent mustache wiggling, he eventually comes to a conclusion.

nurse-wink.jpg
Well, you survived it. That's always on the plus side.

ED: And got sexed. Twice.

I blink at this one, then notice the nurse wearing his 'got you' face.
It's actually somewhat reassuring. I don't think he would crack jokes if things were really serious, so I keep silent and take my lumps.

nurse.jpg
I'll have a talk with your doctor, but right now I suspect it's simply due to physical exertion.

ED: Not really sure if falling asleep on TV after six hours of train ride counts as 'physical exertion.'

nurse.jpg
Have you been keeping up with regular light exercise like I directed you to?

ED: Page flipping?

me.jpg
I make sure to walk a reasonable amount every day. It's usually enough to work up a bit of a sweat, but then again I'm not really as fit as I used to be.
nurse.jpg
That should be enough, then. The main thing is to keep in mind is to do regular low-stress exercise, not short bursts of sprinting and such.

ED: What about sex?

me.jpg
I understand. Since leaving the hospital I've been a lot more focused on my studies, partly to take my mind off not being able to to more physical things.
nurse-grin.jpg
I'ts good to hear you're coping well. Sudden lifestyle changes can be hard at the best of times, so I'm pleased to hear that you sound like you have everything in order. Almost everything, that is.
nurse.jpg
Nevertheless, I want to keep a close eye on you for a while, just for observation's sake. Just to make sure things aren't going downhill, you understand.

That's something I really didn't want to hear. Since coming to Yamaku, all I've wanted to do is live as normal a life as possible.

"Observation" was one of the words I came to hate most during my hospital stay. For so long I felt as if I could have just walked straight out of the hospital doors, if not for that "observation" the doctors wanted so dearly.

me.jpg
Sure. Should I come in more often?

He checks the calendar next to his computer, which seems to inflict on him a nasty case of furrowed brow. He spins back towards me after that.

nurse.jpg
The summer holidays are a bit of a pain, considering the timing...
nurse.jpg
I'll check with your doctor to try and get a better handle on the situation and see how he wants to proceed, but I think you should just take things slowl and carefully for now.
nurse.jpg
What you're describing doesn't immediately sound like a recurring event, but it won't hurt to slow down a bit for a while, just to make sure.
me.jpg
What should I do for today?

He looks over my shoulder at a clock hanging over the door. I'd never have noticed it if I hadn't followed his gaze.

nurse-wink.jpg
It's nearly time for school to be over, so you may as well just leave early.

ED: Awesome!

He gives me a sly wink, making sure that I understand he's doing me a favor.

me.jpg
Well, nurse's orders. Thanks.
nurse-grin.jpg
That's what I'm here for, after all.

ED: Well, he's quite a nice guy after all!

nurse.jpg
I know you might not want to hear this, but you can't ignore your condition. Don't hesitate to see me if you have further problems, or if you just have anything you want to ask. Bye.

ED: You could actually fake illness to get off class... teehee.

He spins around and gets back to typing on the computer in front of him. I suppose I'll just read before waiting for Lilly by the gate, considering I don't have much else to do.

Even as I leave, his words echo in my mind. My condition isn't something as limiting as many of the others here in Yamaku, and I don't want to burden Lilly with thinking about it.

If I just live life normally and avoid any short, sharp shocks, I should be okay. I won't let my condition rule me.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

I agree with abandoning as a valid option. Visual novel, not so much.

ED: What?! Weren't we talking about internet book ordering? How did it come to this?

Well, that's just how relationships work. Especially in the early stages.

Black

Arcane
No Twitcher 2, unless he waits for the Enhanced Edition 2.

RK47

Patron
02.jpg

me.jpg
Afternoon, Lilly.

The immediate warm smile and relaxed demmeanor she assumes upon noticing presence are unexpectedly welcome.

lilly.jpg
Hello, Hisao. Good afternoon to you too.

She hesitates for a second, but eventually deigns to tilt her face forward and close her eyes. My lips meet hers with a measure of slight trepidation before we move off, hand in hand.

The fact that we're so close in height is somewhat useful at times, there being no need for either of us to turn our head upwards nor downwards in order to meet the other's.

It doesn't take much time to leave the noise of other students far behind us, the tapping of Lilly's cane in her free hand the only sound to be heard.
Silence, blissful silence, is all that greets us while we slowly walk in the setting sun's light.

me.jpg
I think I'm coming to really like this town. The huge, green, hilly expanse, the trees everywhere, the somewhat rustic little buildings.

lilly.jpg
So you've come to appreciate the tranquility of it as well?
me.jpg
I think so. I came from a metropolitan city near Tokyo, so the quiet of this town really alienated me when I first arrived.
me.jpg
After a while it became really nice, though. I think I prefer it to the hustle and bustle of my home city now.
lilly.jpg
While I preferred the quiet of such a rural town even when I first arrived, I suppose I had the advantage of growing up in a quiet area before I came.
lilly.jpg
Hanako said the surroundings are very pretty, too.

Lilly may say such a thing quite easily, but each time she mentions how others describe sights around her as beautiful or pretty, I feel a little put off.

I notice her expression becoming one of anticipation for some question or another. She always had a good sense for when somebody's not saying something that's on their mind, so I may as well speak up.

me.jpg
I was kind of wondering... uh, how to put this.
me.jpg
Do you ever... regret that you can't see what things look like for yourself? It's just something I've been thinking about.

She thinks carefully for a time.

lilly.jpg
Do you ever regret that you can't hear people whispering on the other side of the room?

ED: ...that..doesn't really compare to not hearing people in the same room.

lilly.jpg
I can only speak for myself, but the fact that I can't see is the only way I've experienced life. Just as I cannot do something you can, you can't do something that I'm capable of.
lilly.jpg
The fact that the world is made for those who are sighted can be a pain sometimes, but there are many, many people who suffer much more than I because of the way the world is.
me.jpg
That does make sense, but still, it just feels kind of bad to describe something you can't experience to you.

She tilts her head quizzically, as if I'd just said something that makes very little sense at all.

lilly.jpg
But I can experience it.
lilly.jpg
You just said yourself that you like this area because of the way the surroundings are. I like this area for the very same reason.
lilly.jpg
Thanks to the fact that this is a small rustic town surrounded by trees, it gives some peace and quiet away from the din at school and the bustle, not to mention the smells, of the city.

I suppose it would also be much like the home she shared with Akira, as well.

ED: *Yawns* That's very interesting, man.

Her outlook on it seems pretty sensible, and I'm not surprised that she's got a much better handle on her particular condition than I do on mine.

Just like how her coming from a location somewhat similar to Yamaku's surroundings let her become more acclimatized in a shorter time, being born blind affected her stance, by her own admission.

I should stop being so annoyed with myself over it, but I can't shake the feeling that I've depended on Lilly far too much, given the circumstances most have had to deal with in Yamaku.

me.jpg
That makes a lot of sense. You're pretty good at explaining, as always.
me.jpg
Come to think of it, where is Hanako anyway? She was with us for lunch.
lilly.jpg
It seems she's busy studying. The exams are far from over, and she said she wants to do better this year than the last.
me.jpg
While I admire her work ethic, she's really been trying to give us a lot of room alone recently.
lilly-sad.jpg
She's that type of person, I think; the kind that puts others' needs above her own at every chance. She's a sweet girl, even though so much has hurt her in the past.
lilly.jpg
I don't know... I feel like it's only now, when she's less close to me than ever, that she's truly finding herself.
lilly.jpg
It was thanks to you that she began to become much more confident, after all, not me.

I take my hands from hers and gently place it on her head.

me.jpg
The important thing is that you were there for her. I can't even imagine what she'd be like without having found someone like you. That much became obvious while you were in Scotland.
me.jpg
We're all still friends, so we've just got to have faith in her. I think she'll become a good person, and that much is thanks to you being there for her when she most needed it, just as you were there for me.
lilly.jpg
It makes me feel a bit childish when you sound so wise.

ED: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

me.jpg
Well, I try.
me.jpg
Are you doing anything on the weekend, by any chance?
lilly.jpg
Nothing that comes to mind. Why?
me.jpg
Then how about a date on Sunday? It'd be something to do besides exam preparation.

Countering my rapidly beating heart, she simply smiles and nods.

lilly.jpg
That would be lovely.
me.jpg
Where would you like to go?

Her face suddenly changes to one of disapproval.

lilly.jpg
You can't do that, Hisao. That's cheating.
me.jpg
Do what?
lilly.jpg
A gentleman should never ask a lady where to have a date.

ED: OK. *Takes notes*

me.jpg
Ah..oh.

Her smile quickly comes back, assuring me that she's far from serious.

lilly.jpg
Don't worry about it. I'll think about where we could go.
me.jpg
I'll leave it to you, then. I promise to decide on the next date, though.

With our plans for the weekend made, the rest of the walk down the hill continues in silence.
The prospect for that lasting for any length of time, however, is shattered as I catch sight of a familiar figure waiting for us, her hand held high.

03.jpg

ED: She's no cock-block..so it's fine.

Time passes...

The change in temperature as I step outside from the convenience store sends a chill up my spine. It feels like summer's starting to wind down.
Looking to my side, the same feeling seems to affect Lilly as well, though unlike me she doesn't manage to hide the fact. Something I didn't realize at first was how physically delicate she is, even compared to the likes of Hanako.
If I had to describe her, I'd have to asy she reminds me of a china doll.

04.jpg

They talk between themselves for a few moments as I sort out my bags, their voices too low for me to catch, but eventually they break off and we begin the walk back to the school.

akira.jpg
Ah, it feels good to be out of that damned office. You kids don't know how good you have it here.
lilly.jpg
Kids...
akira.jpg
Tsch. 'You two,' then. Kids grow up so fast, nowadays.
lilly.jpg
You're not old enough to say that.
akira-smile.jpg
I don't know. Being around Hideaki makes me feel damned old; he's so precocious he reminds me of you when you were younger.
lilly.jpg
He's a nice boy. It would be a shame if Shizune comes to have too much an influence on him.

ED: Well, you can't see him can't you? So yeah, you probably wouldn't want to.

Akira gives an amused snort at her sister's antipathy. She really doesn't seem to regard it as anything to make a serious fuss about, treating it more like a childhood spat.

She looks over to me, apparently only just remembering that I'm here, and gives a small grin as she reaches towards her back pocket.

me.jpg
What is it?
akira.jpg
Just a sec, let me dig it out...

ED: Let me guess: protection plastic?

After quite some difficulty, she manges to retrieve her black leather wallet from her back pocket, quickly fishing out what looks like to be a folder square of paper.
With Lilly all but unaware of what's happening, Akira unfolds the scrap and hands it to me.

05.jpg

ED: Eh..that's nice. That's a weird looking expression on Shizune, though. But heh, that girl on the background looks like Hanako without her scars..although the chest is a little bit too big for her. Wonder what happened to her, they seemed to be close friends.

lilly.jpg
What is it, Akira?
akira-question.jpg
I think you know.

Lilly mulls this over for a few moments before realization dawns on her.

lilly.jpg
Akira...you really needn't...
akira.jpg
It's fine, isn't it? Besides, it's like the only photo I have you two since you entered Yamaku where you're not at each other's throats.

ED: Hmm, we still haven't clarified the hatred between those two....

I look back down to the photo in my hand.
It does seem strange to see Lilly and Shizune working together to diligently without any sign of animosity. If the photos of them during Yamaku's festival, that means it must have been taken on or two years ago.
In other words, the time when they were both in the Student Council together.

me.jpg
Who's the girl in the back? She looks like of familiar.
akira.jpg
Hah, I knew you wouldn't recognize her. It's Misha before she went and dyed her hair pink.

ED: Oh, I see - ...wait. WHAT?

06.jpg

me.jpg
That's Misha? No way...

It feels extremely strange to see Misha without her so very distinctive hairstyle. Judging from Akira's tone, she doesn't take favorably to Misha's idea of fashion.
I suppose that fact juts accentuates how odd the situation looks. To think they were so friendly in the past...I wish I could do something to mend their relationship.

lilly.jpg
You're being very quiet, Hisao.
me.jpg
It just feels kinda strange to see you all so friendly like this.

Lilly moves to say something, but stops herself. In the end, this isn't a matter for me; it's between her and Shizune, and nobody else.

lilly-sad.jpg
Things change. Unfortunately.

ED: Question is: Who rage quit? And why the butthurt? I'm very curious about this cause it'll take a lot to piss off Lilly...

I hand the photo back to Akira, who sighs as she folds it up and slides it back into her wallet. A little memory, quietly hidden away, to be pulled out again some time later.

akira-sad.jpg
Yeah, that they do.

Initially I think Akira's reaction to be simply in response to the situation between Lilly and Shizune, but she looks oddly glum compared to what I'd expect. Lilly's expression has clouded as well.

me.jpg
What's wrong?
akira-question.jpg
Ah, it's just that I'll be going to Scotland fairly soon.

ED: So soon?

me.jpg
Again?

For a long moment, Akira looks surprised. It's an ill-fitting expression for her.
After a glance at Lilly, she turns back to me as if she'd never done so.

akira.jpg
Yeah. In a couple of weeks I'll be leaving for Inverness to work at the company's headquarters. It's a pretty big jump in corporate position, and it's not a chance that's going to come again.

So Akira's going to leave Japan, on what seems to be a permanent basis...

ED: Shit...that leaves Lilly with no family here.

I can't help feeling that my assumption that we could all happily while away our days having fun in this isolated little world, is coming to an end. It's unsettling.

ED: C'mon, it's just Akira. Not Lilly going, right?

I look at Lilly, mildly surprised that she hasn't told me such a thing despite usually being so forthcoming.
She continues to walk with her face fixedly pointed ahead. I can't read her expression, nor can I even guess what's on her mind, which is discomforting given how it's usually easy for me to do both.

ED: Damn. :mca: strikes again.

It reminds me of the time when we met at the Shanghai, just before what could be called our first date. At the time, all I could do was comfort her without knowing the cause, and now feels no different.

As we finally reach the school dorms once again, there's a somewhat awkward silence. I don't think I'm the only one who feels it.

me.jpg
See you tomorrow then, Lilly. Bye, Akira.
lilly.jpg
Good night, Hisao.
akira.jpg
Seeya.

And with that, they walk to the female dorms.

Opening the door to the male dorms, I stop and look back at them just moments before they disappear behind the heavy wooden door.

That was... a strange moment when Akira said she was leaving.

While that wasn't the first time my thoughts regarding my new life have been called into question, it's perhaps the first time to do it quite so profoundly.
I still don't know what to make of Akira's reaction, much less of Lilly's.

ED: Is she leaving as well?

The night's chill reminds me to get back to my room before I catch something, my bags pulling down on my arms with seemingly redoubled weight.

If nothing else, I have a date with her set up for the weekend. I just need to stop over-thinking stuff and get on with things as they are.

The exams are still ongoing, after all, and with the trimester's end and the summer holidays beginning soon, there'll be plenty to keep me busy for a while.

As I give a yawn and retreat inside, my thoughts turn to what Lilly will decide to set as the location of our weeked rendezvous.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
ED: You've lost me.
Put the ponos to the vagooo, and just j-j-jam it in!?

After what happened here, I doubt I wanna do another visual novel LP.
XD Especially a mind-fucking one.

Normally I'd be with you RK47, but I hear Saya's pretty short, and not at all similar story-wise.

RK47

Patron
07.jpg

No man nor woman is dressed in anything but their finest, their formality only matched by that of their surroundings; rich red wallpaper adorns the walls as the city lights far below flicker and glow.

Music: The Lovable Loser

Combined with the ambient hum of quiet speech and high-pitched clattering of cutlery and wineglasses, the mood is very formal, yet relaxed enough for me not to feel too uptight despite this being our first real date.

Once we get seated, our waiter leaves to attend to others with a quick bow, after an appreciative nod from Lilly.
Far from depending on my help, Lilly's managed to navigate herself around surprisingly easily so far, despite the unfamiliar environment. A light brush here and there, and she's generally quite deft at orienting herself as needed.

My eyes look to Lilly's. I can tell from her face that she's listening to her surroundings just as hard as I'm looking.

08.jpg

ED: ... :oops:

Though truth be told, my eyes are lingering on her each time they sweep across the room. The red cheongsam she's wearing accentuates her figure very well and shows off her legs. Even her hair is done up, and the scent of perfume is just noticeable.

While my black suit may be rental, I managed to select an appropriate one. It feels surprisingly comfortable considering I've so rarely worn one, and fits the setting just as well as Lilly's attire.

me.jpg
I guess this is a new experience for both of us, then?

She turns somewhat sheepish.

lil.jpg
I've never come to a place such as this before, no.
me.jpg
One hell of a first date, that's for sure. It's going to be pretty hard for me to top this.

A small giggle. Even now, our nervousness is dissipating.
Her hand skates along the center of the table until it touches the menu, which she takes in both hands and brings to her face.

lil.jpg
Um, Hisao?

ED: Looks like they don't serve menus in Braille.

As she lowers the beige, laminated sheet just below her eyes, I can see another sheepish look.
I doubt asking the waiter for a menu in Braille would be productive.

ED: Well, the alternative would be to ask for his recommendations.

me.jpg
I can read it out for you, no problem.

ED: Or that.

I take mine and give it a quick read, my small grin faltering.

me.jpg
Er, perhaps there is...a problem.
lil.jpg
What's wrong?
me.jpg
There are quite a few items on here... and I'm not completely sure how to pronounce a couple of them.

ED: Well, call the waiter..I'm sure he can explain.

One fine cuisine after another is listed. Most may be in Japanese, but a few are in English and French. I guess it's to be expected, but I have no idea what's in some of these.

ED: Man, this is just like going to a Chinese diner. I had to wait for my friends to translate it for me, since the waiters can't even speak English either.

Oh, this one I recognize. Wait, hang on...

me.jpg
... You can cook that?

A small giggle of amusement comes from behind the paper sheet.

me.jpg
Well, I could read them all out, but it'd take a few hours.
lil.jpg
Is there anything with some kind of fish in it?
me.jpg
Let's see...

No. No. No. No. Aren't those poisonous? No. No. No. They eat that stuff? No. No. No. No...Ah, here we go.

me.jpg
A tuna salad seems to be a good bet. From the picture, it looks like it'd be pretty filling as well.

ED: :hmmm: Ordering a tuna salad for main course?

lil.jpg
That seems to be a reasonably safe option.
me.jpg
Let's order two, then. I'm pretty sure a couple of these dishes are from poisonous animals. I've had enough deadly run-ins for now.

ED: That's a nice humour going, bro. Just the sort of thing to set a date alight.

Lilly maintains a smile, but there's a distinct lack of laughter. Black humour mustn't be her cup of tea, though to be honest I don't find it exceedingly funny either.

lil.jpg
There are certainly quite a few interesting smells wafting about. The same is true of the sights, I assume.
me.jpg
I've never been anywhere quite like his. A fancy Japanese teahouse on an occasion or two, but never anything this lavish nor European in styling.

Before another word can be said, a portly waiter in a distressingly tight vest appears at our table to take our order.

me.jpg
Provencal Tuna Salade Nicoise, please. Two.

ED: According to google, this is what it looks like:
09.jpg

I hope I didn't mess up the pronunciation of that too badly. Even if I did, he doesn't show it.

lil.jpg
And may I have a glass of Chardonnay, please. Hisao?
me.jpg
Oh, uh, the same.

As the waiter nods and leaves, I suddenly realize what I said by absent-mindedly mimicking Lilly's answer. I regret it pretty quickly.

ED: What's there to regret? :smug:

me.jpg
Alcohol...

ED: :decline: Don't bitch about it.

lil.jpg
Only a bit.

The girl has an odd propensity to getting hooked on things, I swear.

me.jpg
Surprising that they didn't ask for identification.

ED: I doubt they cared, as long as your credit rating's good.

me.jpg
Then again, I guess we both do look mature for our age.
lil.jpg
I'll have to take your word for it. I'll add that this isn't what I'd call the type of place to ask such things, though.

ED: Change the topic, already.

me.jpg
Good point.

We both relax a little into our seats, trying to take our minds off the choking formality of the surroundings.
As soon as we do so, the same waiter reappears at our table with two empty glasses and a bottle, the contents of which are quickly and professionally poured into the former.

10.jpg

I guess it must take effort to judge how the liquid inside is acting based only on its center of balance. Maybe it's like her origami; taking every little chance to practice her dexterity.

me.jpg
I guess I'm not surprised that you know about a place like this. Those who have money would, I suppose.

This reminds me of just how completely different our upbringings were. In Yamaku, it's easy to forget about social and economic disparity between students all wearing the same uniforms, living in the same dormitories.

ED: Well, if you hook up with her, you can mooch off her - kinda big plus IMO.

lil.jpg
Well, Akira was the one to tell me of it. She's come here before, apparently.

So that's what they were conspiring about on Friday.

me.jpg
And you chastise me for cheating?
lil.jpg
That's not cheating. It's simply making use of personal contacts.
me.jpg
If you say so. Still, I get the feeling that you'e more familiar with this kind of restaurant than I am.

She pauses a moment, a wistful look on her face, before softly smiling. The compliment seems to brighten her mood.

lil.jpg
You can thank my former school for that. If I were to appear any less, they'd be gravely disappointed.

ED: High class school, huh?

She has mentioned her previous schooling before, but not I'm kind of curious. She seems to think a lot about her past, so I don't see any problem in asking.

me.jpg
What was that like?
lil.jpg
It was prestigious, all-girls and Catholic; these facts made my parents choose it for me. Many wealthy families sent their daughters there.

ED: Lesbians?

me.jpg
From how it sounds, life there must've been pretty strict.
lil.jpg
I wouldn't say it was a bad experience...but you're quite right; it was very strict. Thankfully, I managed to adapt well enough and make a number of friends.
lil.jpg
Unfortunately, the same can't be said for my sister. She found the atmosphere and religious aspect suffocating, and ended up leaving for a job as soon as she was able to.

She gives a small, self-depreciating chuckle.

lil.jpg
I shouldn't complain about it though. Not many even have the chance to go to such a school.
me.jpg
Do you... resent your parents for sending you there, then leaving?

She gently shakes her head.

lil.jpg
My family is highly patriarchal. My father, business always on his mind, was entirely lost to as to what to do with me.
lil.jpg
In the end, he made the decision that my education was of higher priority than staying with the family.
lil.jpg
He simply did what he thought was best.

ED: Unbelievable. How can her mother agree to this shit?

To say such things so easily. What an unbelievable girl. That said, I'm a little surprised she doesn't think her blindness played any part at all... though maybe I'm being too harsh on her family.

me.jpg
You're too kind-hearted, you know that?
lil.jpg
Hmm?
me.jpg
Most would hate their parents for something like that?
lil.jpg
Well, some do...

ED: Akira?

Oblivious to my raised eyebrow, she takes a sip from her glass. The wine slips down effortlessly, her fondness for it evidently helping he deal with the flavor. I can't say the same goes for me.

ED: Yeah, same problem for me. Tastes..bad. And it's more expensive than fruit juice. What the fuck?

lil.jpg
What of yourself? What was your schooling like?

ED: Hm? Once I finished sixth grade, I was enjoying my first year in somewhat - maturing environment. Heck, I remember I had a crush or something - then my parents, thinking my future would be best if I go overseas, sent me off just like that. I lived with my uncle, learning to speak English daily - and enrolled in an all-boys Catholic school - oh wait, you're asking Hisao, right?

me.jpg
Mine? Let's see...
me.jpg
It was a fairly normal public school, I suppose, maybe a bit busier than the norm.
me.jpg
I did quite well in class and played in the soccer club. Since I am an only child and my parents both worked a lot, I wasted most of my free time and money at the arcade with my three friends.
me.jpg
No matter how much I played, though, I never did manage to beat Mai at any of those machines. Even Takumi and Shin lost to her whenever they tried. Then I'd be left trying to be the responsible adult when Shin and Mai fought. Again.

ED: Sounds like Hisao is running his own Codex Arcade Gaming Diversity Squad.

me.jpg
Just the four of us, aimlessly enjoying our childhood. Those were some pretty silly times.

I catch myself as I realize that I'm starting to zone out, the days of my old school disappearing to the night sky and bright city lights outside the window.

Lilly's face is an odd mixture of curiosity and sympathy. Given her strict schooling, I suppose something like this would seem an interesting contrast to the only life she's known.

lil.jpg
It sounds like your previous school was a lot of fun.
me.jpg
I'm not really sure how much of it is nostalgia, but there are some nice memories.
me.jpg
That's in the past though. I can't go back there now, but through my accident I found a new life I'd never have imagined leading.

ED: Banging a beautiful girl twice in a remote villa is something to be proud of when you're 18, y'know. Thank god for heart problems.

me.jpg
The peace and calm of Yamaku, a new direction for my future in science, the friendship of Shizune, Misha and Hanako, and most of all, you.

ED: Looks like you don't even give a shit about Rin and Emi. You cold bastard, you.

She gives a deep, genuine smile as she moves her hands towards me, her fingers just lightly searching out my face before softly caressing my cheek.

11.jpg

ED: You should...use your feet...under the table - or something.

Her hand reluctantly retreats after a second of warm silence, as we notice the waiter arriving with our meals.
Lilly does a deft job of covering her condition, except for the fact that her nod to him is slightly misaligned due to his silence.

She really seems to work hard at appearing as normal as possible in public. While I noticed it long ago, I still can't quite gauge whether it's a want to not be treated differently, a slight sense of vanity, or some mixture of both.

The dish served lives up to the salad name, and the portion's pleasantly large. With sliced eggs and tomato, it looks very enticing indeed.

12.jpg

Lilly takes her knife in one hand and fork in the other, quickly getting to work on the dish as I do. It's later than we usually have dinner, so we're both eager to dig in.

13.jpg

An occasional tap around the sides of a piece of the food to work out its edges is the only give-away to her lack of sight.

ED: You should...feed each other. Really. Isn't that what shoujo couples do in Japan?

I'm done with my meal in little time, Lilly taking the last few bites as I sit observing her.

lil.jpg
Finished, Hisao?
me.jpg
Yeah, it was pretty nice.

That much is true. I never thought a simple salad could be so tasty and filling, but then again, I suppose that's why it costs so much to eat here.

Content with my appraisal, and evidently agreeing, Lilly gives a small nod.

me.jpg
You know, given that you're part foreign, exotic-looking and quite pretty, I'm surprised that nobody's ever confessed to you before.
lil.jpg
You're assuming nobody did.

ED: You asked for it.

The simple statement takes me off guard. I shouldn't be surprised, given that I was complimenting her just moments before.

me.jpg
Really?
lil.jpg
I've received several confessions, both in this school and my previous one.

ED: PREVIOUS ONE? ...But...you....all-girls..?

lil.jpg
Adolescence is a funny time.

She's kinda talking as if she's above it herself...

me.jpg
Huh. How easily you say such a thing.

She looks surprised for a moment, before a playful smirk covers her face.

lil.jpg
Is that... jealousy?
me.jpg
What? No. It isn't.

ED: C'mon girl, he popped your cherry.

lil.jpg
You're a bad liar, Hisao. You should take into account.

ED: Or maybe you're just too good at detecting falsehoods.

lil.jpg
Then again, I do appreciate how sincere you are. Even if you don't intend to be, sometimes.
lil.jpg
I think your honesty will always serve you well when dealing with others.

I clear my throat in mock disapproval of this whole business and try to steer the conversation elsewhere.

me.jpg
To tell the truth, though, I do prefer solitude to being surrounded by others. I don't think I could maintain a social circle like you do.

ED: Well, with guy friends like Kenji...

She contemplates this for a moment.

lil.jpg
I don't think that's true either.
lil.jpg
I've seen how gentle and caring you are around Hanako, and you get on marvellously well with others, even those whom you hardly know. I think you're quite adept at social situations.

ED: Uh. Whatever.

lil.jpg
But on that note, what of your confessions, Hisao? I'm sure someone like you must have had at least one admirer.

ED: Oh, man.

As I open my mouth to speak, I can feel my face turn slightly dour. At times like this, I secretly appreciate the fact that she can't see my expressions.

14.jpg

me.jpg
Just... one. Her name was Iwanako.
me.jpg
It was when she confessed to me that I had my heart attack. There in the woods, during winter.

ED: Guess she broke your heart, huh?

Lilly finds herself speechless, not expecting for the topic to move into such an area.
My condition has always been something of a concern for her, something that I strive to minimize despite my body's best efforts to the contrary.

me.jpg
Afterwards, she visited me for a while when I was in the hospital. For weeks she came in and talked. It was usually just small-talk or classroom gossip, but that was enough.
me.jpg
But eventually...she just stopped coming.
me.jpg
She was there every day. Then every other day. Then once a week. Then finally, one day, she just stopped visiting entirely.

ED: Hmm. That sucks.

lil.jpg
Did you ever...see her again?

ED: There was that letter...Eh...there's a choice here. Tell her or not. I decide to just tell her. What's the point of lying to a Jedi Consular?

Wrapped in my own little world, I shake my head before remembering the futility of the gesture.
The memory of that single letter comes back to my mind.

me.jpg
I never saw her again, but after I was sent to Yamaku...she wrote me one letter.

Lilly's face shows an expression I know well. I've piqued her interest. I'd be slightly offended that it's simply a matter of curiosity for her, but she's never been very good at masking her reactions.

me.jpg
In hindsight, it really didn't say much. What was going on in my old class, how she was faring, and , almost as an afterthought, that it was probably best for the both of us that we don't see each other again.
me.jpg
After reading it, I ended up reassessing a lot of things I thought I'd managed to work out. For the most part, that letter reminded me that the world around me was still moving, and just how much I'd become isolated from it.
me.jpg
And... I guess it also reminde me of what I'd lost.

ED: What a depressing topic.

She gives the information some thought before her face lights up in realization. No doubt she's worked out that it was this letter which had contributed to my angst during that lunch on the rooftop.
It's a rare sight to see Lilly quite so lost for words, her entire persona is a little deflated from her earlier rapt interest. As charismatic as she is, in the end that isn't any replacement for life nor relationship experience.

ED: Well, that's that. Date's ruined. Waiter, bill please!

lil.jpg
Perhaps...it's better she sent it than not.

ED: ...hmm.

me.jpg
How's that?
lil.jpg
It can be difficult to work out how best to communicate with those you haven't met in a long time. All the more so, considering your separate situations.
lil.jpg
Instead of doing what was easiest, she built up the courage to talk to you one last time; not only for her sake but, from how it sounds, for yours as well.

ED: o_O You're...too nice.

me.jpg
Maybe. I don't hate her for it, not that I really ever did, but ... I don't know.

Perhaps a more non-committal answer than I should give, but it isn't without cause. I've never looked at the situation from Iwanako's perspective like that before.

Seconds pass in silence before Lilly speaks again.

lil.jpg
Moving to Yamaku must have been hard for you, having your friends and even your girlfriend taken from you for no fault of your own.

ED: Wow. Girlfriend? That's pushing it.

me.jpg
The worst of it passed while I was in the hospital. When all that surrounds you is four white walls and a small TV, your mind takes on a life of its own.
me.jpg
It's like my old school, I guess. I just try not to dwell on what's happened and keep thinking ahead.
me.jpg
All that reminiscing does it get me down, and it's largely thanks to you that it feels like things are finally getting back on track.
lil.jpg
That's...pleasing to hear, Hisao.

ED: NICE recovery. It was starting to get sappy.

She lowers her face slightly, her expression pensive. I guess I went too far and embarrassed her.

me.jpg
I suppose you went through something a bit like what I did when you entered Yamaku anyway, right? I imagine the vast majority of our school's students did, after all.
me.jpg
You said yourself that you made friends in your old school. I can't imagine many followed you.

Lilly's deep smile drops, her expression unexpectedly darkening. Even her hands retreat to her lap.

ED: Spoke too soon.

After a long while, she speaks.

lil.jpg
Hisao... can you promise not to tell anyone else what I'm about to-

ED: Uh oh...

me.jpg
I promise.

She looks slightly taken aback by my serious tone, but then relents and smiles weakly before continuing.

lil.jpg
When I moved to Yamaku, I did regret losing the friends I'd had at my other school.
lil.jpg
But there was one person whom I most regretted not seeing again. He was the reason I took up English as a future career.

ED: "HE"?!

"He?" considering she came from an all-girls school, that can't have been a schoolmate then...

ED: If you discount trannies...

lil.jpg
I rejected the confessions I'd received until then for him. Every time I improved my English skills, his praise was my most treasured reward.

ED: ....you had a crush on your English teacher?

lil.jpg
It's funny, isn't it? Someone like me, able to boast about the people who have set eyes on me, liking someone so utterly unattainable as my tutor.
lil.jpg
It truly is the most ridiculous thing...
me.jpg
Did you...?

ED: DUDE!

She quickly shakes her head from side to side.

lil.jpg
I couldn't. Even then, I knew it was impossible.

ED: Let's hope that English teacher does not reappear in Act 4. It would suck to have a rival all the sudden.

A silence reigns over both of us.

This does seem to explain her ardent focus on her future in teaching English, but I can't help thinking of her confession to me.
She lost him without ever letting her feelings be known...did she somehow fear that would happen again, but with me?

ED: Dude, you were close to dying hours before that confession. She wasn't in the right frame of mind and still fucked anyway. It was totally fucked up.

I don't really know what to make of it. I've heard of such relationships before; taboos born of such things as puberty and youth. The fact that she had the good judgment not to act on it, though, is heartening.

lil.jpg
I know this must sound strange, but please... don't think of me...

ED: Whoa, we're not. We're totally not! Why would we?

me.jpg
Why would I think any less of you for that?

ED: Yeah, that's right. Everyone's kinda stupid when they're young.

me.jpg
To be honest, I think he must have been a very nice person if you liked him so much. Not only that, but you stopped yourself before going too far.

For a moment, she looks somewhat lost. Most unexpectedly though, it isn't a second before she starts to laugh. The sound takes me off guard. It's not a giggle, nor a restrained chuckle, but honest and genuine laughter.

ED: Did she just make up that story?

I find myself smiling, and not just at her display of relief and happiness, but for her to trust me enough to let me see this most private of secrets.

Before I realize it, I feel her palm touching my face. Her touch is gentle as ever, with her thumb slowly stroking my cheek.

ED: Oh, well. Here we go...

15.jpg

Seeing her face like this, with her palm gently caressing my face... I think tonight has been a wonderful night.

me.jpg
I guess we've both had pretty weird pasts, eh?
lil.jpg
I think by most standards, our present is rather odd as well.

I smile and hang my head. This woman can easily run rings around me, of that I'm quite sure.

I look back around the room with its continuing quiet hum of patrons.

me.jpg
This place probably fits into the 'odd' category, too.
lil.jpg
It's a tad... overbearing.
me.jpg
That's one word for it, yes.

I catch the eye of a scurrying waiter, a short, scrawny guy no older than twenty. He kind of reminds me of Kenji, though unlike him the waiter isn't dressed for winter during midsummer.

After a curt bow and an offer to remove our plates, Lilly asks for the bill politely and softly.
With expert coordination, he maneuvers around the tables, our plates in hand, to retrieve our bill.

In no time he reappears through the doors, smartly handing our bill to Lilly.
...who prompty hands it over to me, causing him to raise an eyebrow.

As I read the small computer-printed leaflet, the cost is considerably more than I expected.

lil.jpg
Hisao?
me.jpg
Oh.. uh...

ED: Mind washing plates?

I quickly stammer out the amount, to which Lilly merely nods and reaches for her purse.
Giving her card to the waiter, he disappears once again.

me.jpg
That was...a disproportionately large amount of money.

The statement seems to make Lilly slightly uncomfortable.

lil.jpg
My family leaves me more than enough for my education. The same goes for my sister, though she dislikes being reminded of that fact.
lil.jpg
That said, I too dislike throwing money about. But this one time I think I can make an exception. Just for you.

ED: You lucky guy, you.

me.jpg
Not only did you choose our date, but you paid for both of us as well...

I take the bridge of my nose in my fingers.

me.jpg
I can't believe how high you have set the bar for our next date.

She gives a small giggle.

lil.jpg
I'll be looking forward to it, Hisao.

ED: We're doomed.

The waiter reappears beside us, as if by magic, and hands Lilly's card back to her. Evidently picking up on her lack of sight, he places the card in her hand with an extra, perhaps unneeded amount of firmness to make sure of her grip.
Leaving, he exercises a measure of diplomacy by keeping a neutral face despite my own expression.
Clapping my hands together, I stand up from my seat in order to bring an end to our night out.

me.jpg
Shall we be off then, m'lady?

ED: And that ends the date. Not bad. I'm hungry after all that. Time for lunch!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Bluuuuuurrrggghhhh. So much diabetes.

Also, I realised why this gaem :declined: so much lately. We haven't seen Kenji for ages :decline:

Also 2,

07.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I laughed. So. Fucking. Much. :lol:

RK47

Patron
ED: Yeah, there's a slight over-sweetness to it. But I get the feeling we're close to the end, there's still some loose ends tie - so here goes.

01.jpg

I snap upwards out of my sheets and sit bolt upright in bed, as if an electric shock had just run through my entire body.

ED: Oh, no sex after dinner?

The night air feels cold against the sweat on my bare skin, my breathing short and rugged nearly to the point of hyperventilation.

ED: Meds?

Mind racing, I bring my hand to my head in an attempt to soothe my body's panicked state. It takes me a number of seconds to realize my hand is shaking violently, even as I press it against my face.

More seconds pass in complete silence, my desperate attempts to subdue my body and mind slowly, thankfully, working.

Gathering myself, I start taking measure of the state I'm in. It feels like I've run a marathon, every muscle feeling tensed and sweat practically pouring off me.

I carefully direct my attention to the beating in my chest, measuring out the rhythm in my head. Sure enough, my unreliable heart is functioning properly, for once.

Just... what the hell was that?

A heart attack? A bad nightmare? Medicine side-effects? I've heard about panic attacks, and this does seem to have the hallmarks of one...

ED: You had nightmares after a wonderful date like that? Guess better see the nurse later...

I can't even be bothered thinking about it right now. I feel utterly exhausted yet completely awake, after this experience.

I look over to the other side of my bed, the pale white of the silent figure's face almost glowing in the night-time darkness of the room. Just the sight of her is enough to calm me down significantly.

ED: You-you're letting her in your room?

02.jpg

ED: Yeah, a hard-on can calm panic attacks. Go ahead, bro.

Giving in to temptation, I delicately run my fingertips over her hand. Her skin is soft to the touch, as it always has been, yet warm even in the cold night.

It's at times like this, silently appreciating each other's presence, that I feel we're closest.
My fingers stop at her wrist and I bring my hand back down to the bed beside me.
I'm not entirely sure why, but as we became ever closer to each other, it felt as if something grew between us. I'm not entirely sure what it is, nor whether it existed before we'd fallen in love.

ED: Not with the melodramatic shit again..

Everything is moving so fast. I don't mind it at all, but it feels unlike Lilly to be pushing things this much.

ED: Huh? What? She's rushing you? Something's up...

Morning comes...

Thankfully, there aren't any students milling around in the hallways at this hour of the morning, lest I be interrogated on why I'm carrying two plates of breakfast to my room while dressed in an obviously hastily-donned uniform.

This isn't to say things like this never happen, of course. A single security guard patrolling between two sets of bedrooms situated right next to each other is a very small force, compared to adolescent hormones.

Come to think of it, the fact that it's Monday morning probably helps. I'm not really sure why, but Mondays seem to bother me less than they do most others.

It takes a little creative use of my hands and elbow, but eventually I manage to work the door to my dormitory room open.

03.jpg

me.jpg
Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you.

She groggily shakes her head. The morning light illuminating her makes for a very pleasant sight.

ED: Y'know this is totally unlike Lilly at all. I mean, yeah morning person part is acceptable. But sleeping in Hisao's room? There's something quite irrational about this, and hopefully the game can explain her motives a bit...aside from 'we just flipped the hentai switch on.'

lilly.jpg
It's okay, I needed to get up anyway. What time is it?

I put my plate down on my desk and turn the clock around to check the time.

me.jpg
Still early. Don't worry, there's plenty of time left before school.

ED: Wonder if she asks Hanako the same thing every morning. She can't really tell the time at all.

She sits on the side of the bed and begins to sniff the air. As she does so, I quickly move her plate away and put it on the desk beside mine.

me.jpg
Yes, I got us some breakfast. Shower and clothes come first, though.

04.jpg

ED: What the fuck? :o

With a small, sweet smile, apparently quite satisfied, she slowly makes her way to the showers.

ED: Alright. Who are you and what have you done to Lilly?

I stretch to try and wake myself up a little more, briefly looking at the steaming dishes on the desk. Rice, fish, miso soup and some vegetables, a standard breakfast for a somewhat unusual day.

ED: A bit much for breakfast - but what happened to Lilly, Hisao? What did you do to her last night?

I grab the bottles from my desk and start taking my daily regimen of pills.
Sometimes I wonder what these things are even good for, given all the troubles I've had since the initial accident. I can't even say that it doesn't hurt to take them, considering the side effects so far.

Well, whatever. Doctor's orders are that I have to take them, and rationality suggests that I'd be well served to trust his judgment over mine.

ED: If that fails, remember Hokkaido.

It doesn't take long for the noise of the shower to cease, a quick one apparently being fine for Lilly given the circumstances.

Emerging from the bathroom, she looks significantly more awake, having had the chance to collect herself.
Without a word, I gently take her hand in mind and guide her to my desk. Considering I don't have a table in my room as she does, it'll have to do.

lilly.jpg
Thank you, Hisao. What did you prepare for breakfast?
me.jpg
Just rice and some vegetables. Something fast.

Her face lights up at the revelation.

lilly.jpg
That's quite a breakfast. This is normal for you?

Now she's just being nice. I have little doubt, considering her past, that this isn't exactly a high class meal by her standards.

me.jpg
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Just because we're students, doesn't mean we can take it lightly.

That's my belief, anyway. From what others I've talked to have said, I might be in the minority.
I take a seat on the side of my bed and begin eating together with Lilly, her chopsticks lightly tapping out the outlines of the vegetables just as I'd noticed her do during our date.

lilly.jpg
This is quite nice, Hisao. I had no idea you could cook this well.

This time she's much more genuine, I can tell that much. That said, cooking really isn't anything special at all; after a bit of practice it's pretty easy to make a simple dish.

me.jpg
Most of the credit goes to modern technology; still, after years of cooking for myself, I should hope so.
me.jpg
I got bored of eating instant noodles and ordering pizza every time my parents were both working, so I taught myself how to make a few meals. I'm still trying to get the knack of it, though.
lilly.jpg
You'll make a good wife someday, Hisao.

ED: :lol:

I take a grain of rice and place it onto my thumb, before carefully taking aim and giving it a good flick.

Lilly jumps a little as it hits her cheek, right on target.

ED: Wow, asshole.

I can't help chuckling a little at her expense as she lowers her brow and tries her best to assume a harsh and serious expression.

lilly-sad.jpg
Oh, that's right...
me.jpg
What is it?
lilly-sad.jpg
Did you have any problem sleeping last night? You seemed restless.

She was awake back then, or at least partly so. Whether it was my heart or a nightmare caused by the side effects of my medicine, the last thing I want is for her to be worrying about me even more.

ED: So you'll try lying again... what a retard.

Even before my relationship with Lilly, I'd felt my body was a drag on everything I did. My body is my burden alone, so as long as I'm with her, I'll continue to act as normally as people.

me.jpg
No, not particularly.
lilly-sad.jpg
Is that so... that's good, then.

Luckily, she seems to take me at my word.

lilly.jpg
Come to think of it, there was something else I wanted to ask.
me.jpg
Oh?
lilly.jpg
How should I put it...
lilly.jpg
When you dream... do you see people and objects?

ED: :o I 'see' where this is going.

me.jpg
Yes, of course I... oh.

I feel more than a little sheepish for that slip of the tongue, however earnest it may be. Lilly looks unperturbed, though.

lilly.jpg
But you don't taste, feel, nor smell things?

ED: ...Wait, don't tell me you-

I move to answer, but I find myself stuck before thinking about it. The more I mull it over, the more I realize that her hypothesis is correct.

me.jpg
That's true, I guess. I never looked at it that way. Are you saying that you do?
lilly.jpg
For the most part I only hear in dreams, but yes, sometimes I touch and smell things as well.

ED:
psyd.gif
Suddenly, I am very interested in her version of wet dreams.

lilly-smile.jpg
I'm just asking since Akira thought it very strange that I did when I brought it up with her. If you don't either, then maybe it's due to my blindness.

ED: Y'know I think I'll google up that fact sometime. It might be true that the brain cannot really dream what it didn't see...but touch and smell? :The more you know:

me.jpg
That would make sense. You rely on your other senses more than me, so many that affects your dreams as well.

The wonders of human body, I guess.
For the rest of the time before school, we quietly eat the hearty breakfast in front of us, exchanging a few small pieces of small talk as we do.

Time passes...

A quick peek out of the door assures nobody's looking directly at the entrance of the boys' dorms, so we walk out with the path clear.

ED: We still need to clear up why Lilly slept together last night.

me.jpg
Ah, the weather's good today.

I stretch as Lilly and I make our way outside, the bright morning's sun beaming down on us.
By now a few students can be seen doing the same, making their way to the main school building either from the dorms or through the main gate.

lilly.jpg
It does feel nice and warm.

Our hands linked and her cane tapping the ground, we begin in earnest our trip to the school building and join the chatting throngs of students around us.

lilly.jpg
This would be the last day of exams, no?
me.jpg
Yeah. How're you doing in them?
lilly-sad.jpg
Fairly well, all things considered. You seem a bit stressed by them, though.
me.jpg
It's that obvious, huh?
me.jpg
I don't think it's just the exams, though. A lot of stuff's been happening in a short amount of time, and I'm not doing that well on the humanities subjects.

ED: That's because you're inhuman.

lilly.jpg
You're doing well in science though, aren't you?
me.jpg
Well, it would be hard not to do well in science for me. Come to think of it, didn't you say that you weren't very good at science and maths?

She suddenly looks very sheepish, my remark no doubt hitting home. Lilly's sense of pride really can be a double-edge sword.

lilly.jpg
Well, aside from that ... have you ever given thought to what you might do with that ability? It seems a pity to waste it.
me.jpg
A bit, mostly at Mutou's prompting.
me.jpg
In any case, I'll probably end up doing science as a career in some form.
lilly.jpg
That's good to hear, Hisao.

As we enter the gardens, I suddenly receive an unsolicited pat on the back.
The green-dressed culprit dances around to meet me, evidently not paying any heed to Lilly at my side.

05.jpg

ED: Oh, shit.

me.jpg
Hey. Just been busy lately with the exams and stuff.
ken.jpg
Exams, ekshmams. A true Renaissance man needs no study to excel in such things.

Kenji does strike me as the kind of person that does well in school, even if he has a horrid attendance record and poor work ethics, so I've little reason to doubt his ability.

To be honest, I'm a little envious of him; between studying for exams and my time with Lilly, I've had practically no time to myself. Maybe this is a bit like how Yuuko feels.

lilly.jpg
Good morning, Satou. It's good to hear you're doing well.

ED: Eh. This gets weirder, because Lilly's last name is Satou as well. I don't know why the writers don't make it a little varied.

It feels slightly odd to see Lilly speaking so formally. She's come to address me more casually over the months, though I have seen her speak more formally to classmates from time to time as well.

Some people never change, I guess. Not that I'd say her calm and polie manner is a bad thing; it was one of the reasons I liked being around her to begin with, after all.

Kenji seems to take a moment to work out who it is beside me, and probably hasn't noticed us holding hands either. I wonder if those glasses of his actually do anything.

ken.jpg
Oh, hey Lilly. Good luck on your exams, too.
ken.jpg
I'll see you after school then, man.

ED: Easy,easy...

The slight edge to his voice makes me think those words are meant to be an imperative rather than a casual farewell. I guess I'll have to smooth things over later.

me.jpg
Sure. Seeya.

Kenji nods curtly. He moves to pass by us, but he's too busy glaring in Lilly's general direction to take notice of her cane.

ED: Oh fuck.

Before I can try to react and save the situation, Kenji trips and reflexively reaches out for a handhold. Unfortunately, said handhold turns out to be Lilly's arm.

*THUMP*

06.jpg

ED: :lol:

Both fall to the ground in a sprawling heap, with me feeling rather helpless.

me.jpg
Ah, damn. Are you two okay?

Kenji quickly rises back up, seemingly unfazed by the accident.

ken.jpg
No problem, man, no problem. This is nothing, my body can take much worse abuse.

ED: Please don't tell me you planned that shit...

Lilly lies face-down on the grass. She doesn't look hurt; more startled than anything. I move closer to offer her my help.

ED: Man, she doesn't deserve this...

me.jpg
Are you all right, Lilly?
ken.jpg
Hey, Satou?

Kenji offers her a hand, tentatively touching hers to let her know what she's doing.
He says some odious things sometimes, but I do think he may be a genuinely good person at heart. I imagine he feels pretty bad about this.

ED: He better apologize.

07.jpg

ED: :what:

*THUMP*

lilly.jpg
Dammit!

ED: That's gotta be a mistake...

08.jpg

ken.jpg
Uh..

ED: You better run...

09.jpg

ED: Never seen that kind of face before... :o

I only catch a glimpse of her expression before she turns away, but it's not something I'll forget soon.
She showed plenty of annoyance during her clashes with Shizune, but this flash of anger was something else. There's no way that this is just about this petty incident.

ED: ...is it that time of the month?

She pauses for a moment before sighing and walking on ahead. I really don't know what to make of this.

me.jpg
I'll, uh...talk to you later, dude. See you.

ED: You're a dead man, Kenji.

ken.jpg
Yeah, seeya.

Kenji scratches the back of his head trying to find something to say, then shrugs and walks away, giving us a wide berth.

10.jpg

I should probably scold her for lashing out like that, but I also don't want to get into a shouting match with her. She's still very obviously annoyed.

ED: You don't want to do that...

In the end, I keep my mouth shut and wait for her to cool off.

Moments later...

After a quiet walk in, we eventually reach the top of the third floor stairs and the junction where we part every day.
I turn to Lilly before she leaves. While I do like the comfortable and warm silences we usually share, this was anything but.

ED: Way to go, Captain Obvious.

I don't want to leave things like this.

me.jpg
You seem... quieter than usual recently. Is something wrong?

She shakes her head automatically, as if to dispel any notion that I need to worry about her.

ED: Unless the time skip fucked us over again, didn't we have an awesome date last Sunday and this is Monday morning? How did she turn from that nice girl we dated into this...uh...unfriendly morning person?

lilly.jpg
It's just the exams taking their toll. I'll be fine.

I don't think that's the reason. I very nearly say so, but decide against it. There's no point trying to draw it out of her if she doesn't want to tell me, especially when she's in a foul mood like this.

me.jpg
If you're sure. I'll see you later, then.

As I turn down the hall to go to my classroom, Lilly's soft voice rings out from behind me.

11.jpg

me.jpg
Yeah?
lilly-sad.jpg
lilly-sad.jpg
I'm sorry.

ED: ...shit. What the hell is going on?

With that, Lilly makes off down the hallway to her own classroom, her hand skating along the metal railings.
I stand still and watch her until she turns into her classroom and out of sight, before going to my own class with a fair measure of reluctance.

lightbane

Arcane
07.jpg

Awesome. Man, how I miss him, the newest Star Trek movie was utter shit :decline:

ED: Guess she broke your heart, huh?

:lol: Hey, that was quite heartless, to say, no? :yeah:

PS: Yes, Saya is pretty short, probably less than 4 hours long.

RK47

Patron

RK47

Patron
Wait, what the fuck is that suicidestuff suddenly about?

Quick summary:

Guy broke off with gf who is an aspie.
He plays Katawa Shoujo.
Noticed the similarity between Rin and his ex.
He then drove to his ex house and saved her at the last minute from committing suicide.

:hmmm: GOTY

Monoclebear

Educated
For some reason that sounds totally stupid to me but i don't know why.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom