Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
http://www.redbull.com/en/games/sto...en-amazing-games-that-prove-kickstarter-works

The amazing games that prove Kickstarter works
Forget the Yogscast failure, these Kickstarter successes prove the model works. Have you played any?

Last month, the YouTube gaming icons at Yogscast caused a scandal when they revealed that the Kickstarter-funded Yogscast game Yogventures! by partners Winterkewl Games had been canned before release – even though the campaign smashed its original $250,000 goal by more than 100 percent. The $567,665 that Winterkewl Games raised evidently was not enough, and it looks like the six man team bit off far more than they could chew, casting the whole crowdfunding model into disrepute in the process. It’s not the first Kickstarter game project to collapse and it probably won’t be the last, but don’t let it put you off backing exciting new ideas – these Kickstarted games have already made it onto virtual shop shelves and prove that it really can work. How many have you played?

How is it even possible that 6 people working full time fail to make a clone of Minecraft, that amateur programmer Notch slapped together in his spare time?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Not sure if the choice of games was all that good to prove that Kickstarter works:

• Shadowrun Returns

I only had a quick look, but it seems like the type of kickstarter game I want.

It doesn't seem to be anyone's ego project.
Shadowrun Returns is really the only game on that list that is both good and would not have happened without Kickstarter. DO:S and FTL are also good but where close to being finished when they ran the kickstarters. The rest of the games on the list aren't actually done.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How is it even possible that 6 people working full time fail to make a clone of Minecraft, that amateur programmer Notch slapped together in his spare time?
They didn't steal the entire starting code base would be my guess.

himmy

Arcane
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sierra-games-twitter-account-teases-kickstarter-campaign/0136689

Now the mystery thickens, as a Twitter account which at least seems to be the official account for Sierra Games has tweeted: “Thank you for following! We'll see you on Kickstarter.”

As with any announcement, the statement has stirred a largely vitriolic reaction among the internet audience, with one commenter replying “oh hey awesome, can never have too many game studios or too many kickstarters” and another saying “Surely you mean you're buying Kickstarter, right Activision?”

Whether the account is real or not is yet to be proved – but if it’s legitimate, it could mark the first foray of Activision into crowdfunding.

So it has come to this.

Not sure if the choice of games was all that good to prove that Kickstarter works:

• Divinity: Original Sin (almost finished when they went the Kickstarter route)
  • Broken Age (broken into 2 parts because of financial troubles, 2nd part is still MIA)
    [*]Shadowrun Returns
  • Mercenary Kings (still in Early Access aka not finished)
  • République (PC/Mac version MIA)
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Planetary Annihilation (still in Early Access aka not finished)

BS5: Episode 2 has been out for some time now.

Oops

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
are they hoping that people will remember the controversy the original caused and give it free publicity?

kaizoku

Arcane
forget the occulus rift
this is the new shit!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-glov-changing-the-way-we-play

20140807131841-CTWWP_DILDO_360_640px_SQ_PPP_copy.gif

:smug:

almondblight

Arcane
So, Dex is out now on Steam Early access (Cyberpunk openworld sidescroller RPG). And they gave all the backers a key. Not too much to do in the game at the moment, and the combat is somewhat rudimentary so far, but so far I'm digging it. This game could use some more media exposure. Infinitron Crooked Bee

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
SIENNA STORM, a Kickstarter with a ton of celebrities working on it, including Sheldon Pacotti, Tony Evans, and Alexander Brandon and MCA stretch goals: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1591209713/sienna-storm

Too bad it's this:

2c1f06d28cc1a641563c3fe9d3f943ce_large.png

Sienna Storm is a unique interactive comic-style video game. Every scene is a hand drawn, animated work of art and there are multiple actions points the player may select to progress the game. Dialogues are rich and non-linear, and choices you make throughout the game not only have consequences, but also influence your standings with certain characters and involved parties

There is a fair amount of challenges to resolve such as combat, hacking computers, and tailing an enemies. When you enter these challenges, you play a short strategic card game using a customizable deck.

At the start of each card match, you can modify your deck to best suit the situation, even adding in new cards you've earned over the course of the game. This allows you to pick a strategy – trickery, gadgetry, or straight-up violence – that works best for the mission and your personal play style. But watch out! The matches are dynamic and based on the story, so you never know what new enemies, old allies, or dramatic plot twists are in the cards to keep you on your toes!

What. The. Fuck. I think they've invented a new genre here - the CTE game (Card-Time Event). :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Digital Knights Pte. Ltd was founded in Singapore
Nope nope nope.

Keen that they're trying to pull a bait-n-switch with big white names.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
At laest Sienna storm isn't promising another totally new MMO or complex and orginal new RPG system.
I mean at laest it seems they can actually product that computer card game with those funds, instead bankrupting themself.

No idea why they need that much money for simple card game, unless art pieces cost lot more than I thought.
Might be entertaining game, when you absolutly don't have energy or motivation to do anything else.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hazewalker gif:
HairyHeavyKakarikis.gif

I will not back this, but I will follow its development. (KS starts in October. 15th, I think.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom