Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also I didn't find any archery contests
Then you are blind. You even did one with Capon earlier, in Rattay. And they're marked on your map and there's one in every town.

Fuck archery contests, why not let us just practice ourselves vs archery targets you find?
If you mean the straw archery targets, those ARE the archery contests. Just talk to the guy standing right next to them.
There is one next to burnt houses where you get your first big quest and there is nobody there standing next to it. I tried practicing on it and got no XP.
https://kingdom-come-deliverance.fandom.com/wiki/Archery_range
https://kingdom-come-deliverance.fandom.com/wiki/Archery_Range_of_Neuhof
ok so that one is just to troll us LOL

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, I've decided to spam beginner archery tournaments to level up the skill.
They are easier to win than expected but xp gain is tiny and whole thing is bothersome.. at least I am getting "rich" with it.
What archery skill level do I need to reach before he stops waving the bow like crazy? At lvl 4 and half now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok, I've decided to spam beginner archery tournaments to level up the skill.
They are easier to win than expected but xp gain is tiny and whole thing is bothersome.. at least I am getting "rich" with it.
What archery skill level do I need to reach before he stops waving the bow like crazy? At lvl 4 and half now.
Look kid you can certainly shoot bows in this game if you really insist but this is not Horizon Zero Dawn ok.

Just grab a sword, don some armor, put the kettle helmet on and go to town like a proper peasant knight.

Val Doom

Literate
The main quest is close to the point where I left it off last time I think. Neuhof massacre investigation is at the point where you have to go scout out the bandit camp.

It has been slower because I'm playing on hardcore and I keep finding these errands from random NPCs that require riding around the map. I like how there are relatively long quests hidden behind random NPC conversations that don't even show as a quest giver icon on the map. For example I got the whole Sasau construction site problem from talking to what seemed like a random quarry worker.

I accidentally found Leshek while sneaking around the mill. He told me about the real culprit and I might have avoided getting pushed off the cathedral roof. When the guards went to arrest him the motherfucker almost killed them both with a shortsword and no armor because the guards' AI was acting like they came from Oblivion.

Harthwain

Magister
At level 5 you should get a bit better (you stop hurting yourself at the very least). Other than that:

1) Are you using a bow that isn't above the requirements?
2) Don't pull the arrow for too long, it will only make the sway worse.
3) Use left point of the arrow to aim.
4) Fire between breaths.
5) Git gud. That's it. There is no substitute for learning by doing (and I don't mean that as purely in-game).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I wouldn't focus too much on maxing every single skill in turn. You gonna just break the game that way. Just spread it out over time and play the game naturally. It's not like you need max archery RIGHT NOW (and certianly not to hunt rabbits. For the record, you are actually not free to hunt until you get permission. Unless you want to be a poacher).

If you managed to put the main quest on pause, i'd recomment you go learn how to read. Books is a good way to gain a skill point or two passively. Also, get that perk that steadies your hand when you get tippy. If you are shooting arrows for anything serious you will likely want to save before doing it so you might as well get some bonus out of getting slightly drunk.

ArchAngel

Arcane
At level 5 you should get a bit better (you stop hurting yourself at the very least). Other than that:

1) Are you using a bow that isn't above the requirements?
2) Don't pull the arrow for too long, it will only make the sway worse.
3) Use left point of the arrow to aim.
4) Fire between breaths.
5) Git gud. That's it. There is no substitute for learning by doing (and I don't mean that as purely in-game).
1) I am not
2) whole pulling mechanic is the worst offender and is what I want the skill level to fix. Sometimes when pulling he moves the bow to left, sometimes to right. You basically have to guess while pulling where it is going to end up and be compensating. And if you wait until he pulls it the whole way then he starts swaying like crazy so. This game went way into stupid and unfun territory. It is why I am asking at what skill level can I expect one (pulling) or other (holding) to become useable. I am 5 now and it is still bad.
3) nah, it shoots all over the place as bow never stops. He is moving it left or right while pulling and arrow goes that way if you release and while holding it is swaying and can go anywhere. Vs stationary targets in archery tournament I kind of made it work by seeing when he is moving left while pulling so I release when hand gets over target and arrow flies to left but later vs moving deer it was impossible to hit it, at least with a controller.
4) didn't notice there is option to hold a breath or hear breathing
5) If I wanted to learn archery I would enlist myself into it and not play a stupid game

So is there an Archery skill level where Henry stops being retarded and can pull or hold a bow steady?

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
5) If I wanted to learn archery I would enlist myself into it and not play a stupid game

It's a simulation, which part of that are you still struggling with?

It's like saying "if i wanted to learn how to fly a plane i'd go to flight school" when discussing a Flight Simulator.

Kingdom Come doesn't go as far as Operation Flashpoint or the Arma game but there's a lot of the same lifeblood running through it.

Just get Drinking Habit and take a six pack with you when you go hunting, like any self-respecting man.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also if you want to level archery easily, just do the early hunting quest with Capon and just hunt in the forest. You get way more skill for hitting rabbits and deer etc.

Just make sure you are switching to more difficult bows as your str, agility and archery skill increases.

I always really liked that training archery in KCD also trains your physical stats quite significantly.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also if you want to level archery easily, just do the early hunting quest with Capon and just hunt in the forest. You get way more skill for hitting rabbits and deer etc.

Just make sure you are switching to more difficult bows as your str, agility and archery skill increases.

I always really liked that training archery in KCD also trains your physical stats quite significantly.
You didn't read anything I wrote? I've been complaining about rabbits as early training since start. I switched to archery tournament because hitting rabbits was next to impossible and I was just wasting my limited arrows.
And I tried to hunt deer after I got skill to lvl 5, and Henry is still useless with a bow vs a moving target. Reasons for I explained in detail in my previous post.
Maybe I should just give up trying to do archery in this game with a controller when game expect me to have CounterStrike level sniper skills (those are when you do not use scope so you also do not have crosshair and everyone in that game jumps around so you are supposed to guess all the time where to aim) to hit shit..

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

You didn't read anything I wrote? I've been complaining about rabbits as early training since start. I switched to archery tournament because hitting rabbits was next to impossible and I was just wasting my limited arrows.
And I tried to hunt deer after I got skill to lvl 5, Henry is still useless with a bow vs a moving target. Reasons for I explained in detail in my previous post.

Git gud.

Rabbits are easy once you get used to them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Archery is my pet peeve to see if it is possible to do with controller in this stupid design, I managed to level up houndmaster to good enough level so Mutt can now hunt rabbits and deer and I do not really plan to use stupid archery for that.
But what is really stupid is the save system. If I was not told about the Save and Quit thing and how to abuse it I would have probably quit the game yesterday. I went to Usitch to find the limp guy, did the investigation part, talked to people, found out about the priest, went to him, then went to bar, did the whole drunken crazy scenes stuff and got to "Do the sermon part". I didn't know it was timed and you had like 1 minute to go do it before it fails so it failed.. wanted to load a previous save so I can do it right and it was at morning when I got up at Teresa house... WTF game?! Wasn't it supposed to save at start of quests and mid quest and shit?!
Two reasons I didn't quit is that I did save and quit at entrance of Usitch near the house of the limp guy and that I paid 10 Euro for this shit. If this was pirated game like most of my life I would have deleted this shit right there..

Atm for me this is between 6/10 and 7/10 game which is barely playable in my book as I do not waste time playing games with lower scores. It is still possible I give up on this shit, as I have been playing this my urge to play a much much better game like Mount and Blade 2 again has been rising.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But what is really stupid is the save system.
Sorry bro, not the game's fault, your butthurt is on you. You played for an hour or more blissfully relying on an autosave system without knowing when exactly it kicks in. Saving in this game is a complex and well thought-out ecosystem, the devs knew precisely what they were doing.

Using the save-anytime mod in KCD or abusing the Save&Quit feature is like doing it in Dark Souls - it totally undermines a huge part of what the game's trying to do. Just buy or steal some schnapps (or learn to brew it yourself) or sleep in pubs or go have a wash in a bathhouse now and then, there are tons of in-game saving options.

Val Doom

Literate
If anything, hunting in this game is way too easy. Rabbits let you walk right up to them for you to shoot them or even whack them with a melee weapon. In most other games with hunting mechanics I can think of they act more realistic - i.e bolt as soon as they hear the tiniest sound. I do use keyboard & mouse though for shooting.

The animals could also pose some form of threat. I'm not aware if the boars charge you or anything but so far they seem like walking meat dispensers as well. Implementing more predatory animals would be cool, but maybe in KCD2.

Harthwain

Magister
1) I am not
2) whole pulling mechanic is the worst offender and is what I want the skill level to fix. Sometimes when pulling he moves the bow to left, sometimes to right. You basically have to guess while pulling where it is going to end up and be compensating. And if you wait until he pulls it the whole way then he starts swaying like crazy so. This game went way into stupid and unfun territory. It is why I am asking at what skill level can I expect one (pulling) or other (holding) to become useable. I am 5 now and it is still bad.
3) nah, it shoots all over the place as bow never stops. He is moving it left or right while pulling and arrow goes that way if you release and while holding it is swaying and can go anywhere. Vs stationary targets in archery tournament I kind of made it work by seeing when he is moving left while pulling so I release when hand gets over target and arrow flies to left but later vs moving deer it was impossible to hit it, at least with a controller.
4) didn't notice there is option to hold a breath or hear breathing
Here is a good guide how to be a successful archer:

That's the best I can offer you (most of which is a presentation of what I've already told you, but maybe seeing the footage will help).

So is there an Archery skill level where Henry stops being retarded and can pull or hold a bow steady?
No. You have to know where to aim and when to fire. No amount of in-game skill is going to change that.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I started playing this again since I never actually beat it. The archery is actually way easier than I remembered since the crosshair drifts slowly and evenly to the left and right, you only have to actually aim on the y axis. The enemies seem to just run at you in a straight line so you can usually pelt them twice before they get to you, even in the face sometimes with 1 skill in bows and the basic peasant hunting bow.

I've been terrorizing the countryside around Rattay at night to train my thievery skills. Shooting their dogs before they can bark at me, then sneaking into their homes and pickpocketing everything they have. Got caught quite a few times, so I'd run over to a neighbor's house and rob them before circling back. I made like $3,000 and got my pickpocketing up to 10, but I have 0 reputation with the people of Rattay now and I dunno how high the bounty is gonna be. Oh well, I'm sure they'll get over it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yes, I still maintain that Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the best medieval crime simulator ever created, and Warhorse missed an excellent opportunity to either develop their own thief game or at least license their engine to a third-party developer to create one.

DppThRn.png
CxqxNb1.png

EsHbtxu.png
S89GPyG.png

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Well it seems there is one problem with the crime simulation, in that it doesn't count repeat offences. So I robbed everyone around the outskirts and had the guards called on me for pick-pocketing and stealing about 20 times, but when I finally turned myself in the next day after cashing out, the fine was only 60g. Thats a profit of 2940g, guess crime really does pay after all.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I find all the thief stuff boring in most games. And combat UI is mostly unmanagable when fighting vs 2 or more. So far just riding along exploring nothingness of woods and fields.. until I get jumped by 4 cumans and killed fast lol
M&B2 has a superior combat and UI and horse combat over this game. Hopefully they go more in that direction in the sequel.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
During a routine break in, a villager awoke while Henry was pickpocketing him and started raising a ruckus. Thinking quickly, Henry sliced him across the chest and then ran over to the wife who was now beginning to shriek. While Henry was busy stabbing her to death, her husband, apparently not slowed down at all by the grievous wound, ran outside and started shouting for the guards. Though Henry was able to catch up and mutilate the man after a brief footchase, he had already woken the whole neighborhood and cries for the guards could be heard all over the place.

With a weary sigh, Henry ran over to the mill and stashed all his stolen goods, including a milanese brigandine which he found in a trunk in some guy's house. Time to turn himself in and face the consequences for his unfathomably horrible crimes... 10 days in jail.

With his harsh sentence served, Henry is now on his way to get some formal training so that he can join the town guards and start maintaining law and order. By any means necessary.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I finally level up a bit and got myself some real armor and a Heavy Shield (too bad you cannot go to armorsmith and change the symbol on the shield to one of your design). Then I decided to try out my skills on a bandit camp. I opened with arrows and managed to pull 5 or 6 of them on me :D
It was early in morning and two were still out of armor but they still overwhelmed me due to how confusing the UI is in group fights.. what FoV do you guys play this game on. Henry has terrible side vision on FoV 90..
Ok I reloaded the save and decide to shoot arrows and run away and try to come back and do same right after to maybe take some down that way.. but bandit camp leader kept following me when others gave up so I fought him 1v1 and he has best gear and died.
Then I managed to 1v1 others using same tactics while some others went back to sleep like nothing was happening (shit like this is why this is eurojank).
Camp cleared and looted and I continued on my way to Ushitz to tell some Vicar to go away. On the way I see two armored groups fighting each other, 7 guys in total, some looked like Cumans. My first instinct was to run away but then I saved and decided to use advanced combat tactics I just learned of seperating enemy abusing eurojank AI and fighting them "1v1" (actually 2vs1 because Mutt is as useful as me as all I need to do is block until he distracts them so I can get a couple of free heavy attacks on them). So I shoot some arrows and yea, one guy charges me and follows me away from others and dies to 2v1. Same is repeated for others until only archers are there. Shield block gets me to them and as soon as I hit they surrender and then die. I find out other group was Bandits and they all got killed by Cumans so more free loot for me.
10/10 eurojank game, would abuse again..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom