Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty is out - 90% review from Gamespy

Texas Red

Whiner
Skyway is a descendant of vassals to Russians.

Heresiarch

Prophet
It seems the translation in the release version is MUCH better than the demo.

Phantasmal said:
Have any of you guys ever played Ascension to the Throne?

Played through it a year or two ago, great game despite some balancing issues.

"SOME" balancing issues? There was no balance to begin with -- projectile units were ridiculously overpowered. There was no point in buying anything else except archers/amazons/whatever. They solved it in Valkyrie to some extent tho, by limiting your access to shooting units.

A user named cat

Wow, I'm surprised someone actually played it. I remember after beating it though someone said they had released a patch that fixed the Amazons and other projectile units from being overpowered as well as some other shit. Guess I read wrong. Can't even hardly find information on the game anymore.

Still thought it was a fun game though, despite those issues. Forcing yourself to play without Amazons near the end made it more challenging.

I'm playing through KB now. I have to say, it definitely has that "one more battle" draw to it. It's not terribly difficult, but it's not a walk in the park either, and while it isn't anything new, what it does, it does well. I'm enjoying myself quite a bit.

Heresiarch

Prophet
This game is insanely addictive. Tons of interesting locations and quests.

The combat difficulty is one of the most well done. Playing on Hard really feels hard, comparable or even harder than the Dragon Slayer campaign in HOMM3: Armageddon's Blade. Playing as a mage is pretty fun so far - your spells are extremely devastating, yet your army is rather small, so you really need to cleverly make use of the troops special abilities to hinder your opponents.

And believe it or not, there are tons of C & C here. 90% of the quests can be solved in completely different ways with very different outcomes. In many quests one of the most direct way to solve it is to straight out kill the quest giver, lol.

The Exar

Liturgist
Combat is quite challenging. If you say hard feels like really hard then you should try Impossible (not sure how it is translated in the English version). In the beginning it feels so right for a hard-core cRPG gamer, but halfway through the game it starts to get extremely hard but in a most irritating way. It's not that I'm criticizing, I'm just warning you: the last difficulty will ruin your game experience. Your hero progresses in a certain way and at specific speed but the game is cheating. Not that the AI performs better, but the enemy simply begins to outnumber you, eventually vastly. Of course, you can always try the "hit and run" tactic (killed monsters don't respawn) but it is time-consuming.

So I just advise you starting on lower difficulty. It is a great game that many of you may have underrated. I heartily recommend it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's insanely large, difficult and filled with neat content and great little touches. I never expected there to be diploimatic solutions to quests in a game like this, but there are. It's also really difficult and I'm getting my ass handed to me on a regular basis. I'm very pleasantly surprised with this game so far.

Kraszu

Prophet
So how much of quest is not just about killing stuff? (or have some alternative solution). Any decision in who to help in a quest for example (even if it would end whit combat but different, and maybe diferent consequences)

I would like more games to use hom&m moving + fight on small maps systems, as it works good, and there is no reason on why it should be just limited to killing everything on map.

Damn those comments make me wish i had the fullversion.

Although
90% of the quests can be solved in completely different ways with very different outcomes.
I know and believe you that there are different ways for quests, but 90 percent? Come on, not even in Bethesdaland.

A user named cat

I agree about this game being addictive, hope it's lengthy. Some of the battles are tough as hell, even right near the beginning. So far I'm noticing that royal snakes are incredibly useful. I have a couple questions though:

1. How do you raise the morale of your troops? Mine have been either at neutral or below the entire time I've played so far.

2. In regards to the rage meter, how in the world do you summon a spirit like it says you can once it's full?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dammit. It looks like I have another game to buy.

Annonchinil

Scholar
I know this game was out earlier in Russia but this trend of releasing everything during the last 3 months has to stop.

Balor

Arcane
SimpleComplexity said:
Damn those comments make me wish i had the fullversion.

Although
90% of the quests can be solved in completely different ways with very different outcomes.
I know and believe you that there are different ways for quests, but 90 percent? Come on, not even in Bethesdaland.

Indeed, while such quests are numerous, but it's not 90%, and they don't have VERY profound concequences. But I was pleasantly surprized too - I never actually expected it to be more then neat game with lots of combat.
It writing is qute good (because it was worked on by a professional writer) too. I wonder if it was butchered like in SR2...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The translation is not flawless, but it's not too bad. At least for a non native english speaker like me. Still massively enjoying this game. I really like how it opens up after awhile. It also has me tearing the hairs from my head in frustration quite often. Those keeper fights are as tough as nails!

A user named cat

Aside from a few oddly formed sentences here and there, I haven't really noticed much problem at all with the translation. Dialogue is actually quite lengthy too. No idea what Gamespy was on about unless the grammar takes a nosedive later in. I don't believe I've seen a single typo yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom