Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kings Field series worth playing?

baba is you

Novice
Back in the 1980s and early 1990s, when CRPGs were more niche than they are now, developers were expected to sell 100,000 copies to be considered a success. But Kings Field started in the early to mid-1990s, and the fact that it only sold 100,000 copies despite being based on a popular console must have troubled Jin Naotoshi.

I think the reason why Kings Field didn't get a lot of attention is because of its action, and most of the console games were very action-oriented, and Kings Field is a little bit better than Ultima Underworld.

The fact that it only sold 100,000 copies breaks my heart because it was a pretty unusual position in the Japanese RPG market, like Lunatic dawn. :negative:

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I still remember classic King's Field reviews saying "Why is this not DOOM??" and other such wonderful insights.

The problem was always movement speed and crummy first person melee combat (although I think they did a decent job at the time, all things considered. I mean it's better than Witchhaven.)

So go figure, they ditch the first person view, make movement much more responsive, add a dash of innovative online features, and it sells a shitzillion copies..

flyingjohn

Arcane
I still remember classic King's Field reviews saying "Why is this not DOOM??"
You mean tomb raider? The franchise started on psx and the only really negative review compared it to tomb raider.
Everybody else was mostly complaining about the clunky combat compared to to other rpg's.
Now, slayer for the 3DO got the unfair doom treatment from reviewers.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm planning to play one of these, and only one. Which one should it be? 2J? 3J?

I'm planning to play one of these, and only one. Which one should it be? 2J? 3J?
Well if you follow the advice of OndrejSc you'll end up completing the worst and slowest King's Field.

Overall I'd say 2 or 3 is the best, slightly in favor of 2.

Both Shadow Tower games are better than any of the King's Field games though.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Hard disagree. KF3 has great atmosphere. Just listen to this guy:

KF2 is a megadungeon which limits its scope and content. Fromsoft had not yet figured out how to make PSX games look decent. KF3 has a large multi-connected world with many dungeons. There are a few boring caves you just walk through but that's all of KF2 so whatever. What was the most atmospheric part of KF2, the flat brown ant level, or the flat grey everywhere else levels?

A dungeon delver that's a majority underground levels? Who could've seen that coming!

In contrast there's too many open fields in 3 with padded enemies.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Visually and thematically KF2 was consistent, despite samey-looking areas. It was a single interconnected megadungeon that was well-designed and offered a lot of reasons to come back to earlier areas, and there were enough tools to make the traversal fast and easy -- it only took me a couple of minutes to reach any area in the world, and after a while, one could navigate through the world with their eyes closed.

KF3 feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be and mistakes quantity for quality, with less verticality and a worse game feel. KF1-2 suffered from uneven performance with constant jumps between 60 and 15, but KF3 runs at a constant 20 fps or less, which makes player actions feel laggy as hell.

I'm still unable to bring myself to complete it despite replaying KF1-2 multiple times because KF3 feels like a chore to play. I had more fun with Evergrace and Eternal Ring, or even the last mission of the original Armored Core even though it (figuratively) smashed my balls with a hammer.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
KF3 feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be
An odd statement. Obviously they were going the 'bigger and better' route; if one dungeon is good, ten dungeons is great.

That and KF2 had the weird Tron ending level and bizarre clash with the story of KF1, KF3 ties everything together, revisits the graveyard from the original game, gives you the coolest sword in the series yet, expands the world and lets you visit actual towns with NPCs and quests, even has some (mild) reactivity. It's true the outdoor areas don't run well on the PSX and have limited view distance, which does suck.

I found most dungeons of KF3 more interesting, such as the ancient battlefield which is a large navigation puzzle with Silveria keys, the water island area where you have to move the pathways around, the forest with the movable stumps, the canyon where you need to give up your fast travel for a bit to open the gateways across the world, all the deeper and spookier 'ancient levels' opened by Orladin keys and feel like you're going into some primordial realm beyond human understanding. Admittedly the final dungeon being a plain old castle is pretty tame in comparison but hacking your way through Dragon lords after all that powering up is a great victory lap before the final boss. I also enjoyed the magic system being a mix of leveling and exploration, as opposed to just relying on finding crystals for new spells.

Obviously there's no accounting for taste but clearly Fromsoft was building their skill set and expanding their game design chops for each game, so KF3 feels the most refined and polished to me in that regard. It's also a game with an absurd amount of secrets, I swear I play it every few years each time I discover something new.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
KF3 feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be
An odd statement. Obviously they were going the 'bigger and better' route; if one dungeon is good, ten dungeons is great.

That and KF2 had the weird Tron ending level and bizarre clash with the story of KF1, KF3 ties everything together, revisits the graveyard from the original game, gives you the coolest sword in the series yet, expands the world and lets you visit actual towns with NPCs and quests, even has some (mild) reactivity. It's true the outdoor areas don't run well on the PSX and have limited view distance, which does suck.

I found most dungeons of KF3 more interesting, such as the ancient battlefield which is a large navigation puzzle with Silveria keys, the water island area where you have to move the pathways around, the forest with the movable stumps, the canyon where you need to give up your fast travel for a bit to open the gateways across the world, all the deeper and spookier 'ancient levels' opened by Orladin keys and feel like you're going into some primordial realm beyond human understanding. Admittedly the final dungeon being a plain old castle is pretty tame in comparison but hacking your way through Dragon lords after all that powering up is a great victory lap before the final boss. I also enjoyed the magic system being a mix of leveling and exploration, as opposed to just relying on finding crystals for new spells.

Obviously there's no accounting for taste but clearly Fromsoft was building their skill set and expanding their game design chops for each game, so KF3 feels the most refined and polished to me in that regard. It's also a game with an absurd amount of secrets, I swear I play it every few years each time I discover something new.
One good dungeon is better than 10 weak dungeons.

KF2 felt like a good meal. KF3 felt like ten plates of overcooked noodles.

I might give it another try and see if my opinion changes, but that's how it felt to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom