Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Knights of Legend

Saxon1974

Prophet
Anyone play this game from Origin?

Any opinions on it?

It appears right up the codexer's alley (No dirty thoughts intended). Features extensive
character custimization and extensive turn based combat options.

The underdogs site has it very highly reviewed..

I fired it up last night and there doesn't appear to be any sound in the game at all. Is there supposed to be any sound? I tried the C64 and DOS version and no sound.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/knights-of-legend

I played it a fair amount a while back, and thought it was quite good. The game is mostly about you finding the right person to talk to for the next quest, and then going to the location this person specifies for a fight.

Combat is phase-based, and contains quite a few options. It also takes quite a while to resolve. If certain attributes of a character are high enough, they can make educated guesses as to what your opponents are going to do this round, which is extremely valuable. Each character has a number of hit locations and stamina. I recall the interface being a bit cumbersome until you start getting used to it.

There's a lot of nice details that make sense. For instance, short characters (dwarves) will be unable to hit most creatures in the head, and the weight of armor is based on the size of a character (you also need to have armor readjusted if you fall outside of a certain range). Also, certain locations (trainers, shops, etc.) really don't like characters who are a particular race/class, so they'll be unable to enter.

I particularly liked the race/class descriptions in the manual, which really only give you a relatively vague description about their attributes and abilities. There are magic spells in the game, but you'll be unable to actually create anyone with spells. For the most part, everybody breaks down into a few class-types - fighter, archer, archer/mage. There's a rogue in the manual class list, but I don't recall any actual locks to pick, or traps to disarm, so don't worry about that. A fighter/mage is virtually impossible, due to the stamina and armor, and probably attribute, requirements. I also don't remember Charisma being of any use at all.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Interesting, I might give a try.

I read something about how the interface being complicated led to the game not sellling well, a shame.....

Do you remember any sound or music after the intro? My game is in the DOs version using Dosbox and after the intro there is no sound or music at all. Just wondering if my setup is messed up.

Would they release a game that supposedly was in development for 8 years with no sound?

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Saxon1974 said:
Would they release a game that supposedly was in development for 8 years with no sound?

I would say yes. There were several C64 RPGs with little to no sound released at the time: Wasteland (no music IIRC, but there was an explosion when you blew open some door), Magic Candle (no music and minimal sound effects), Centauri Alliance (I think), and probably others. Even Bard's Tale only had music. In regard to DOS games, in the early 80's there would have only been PC speaker music. And that would be frightening.

Saxon1974

Prophet
EvilManagedCare said:
Saxon1974 said:

I would say yes. There were several C64 RPGs with little to no sound released at the time: Wasteland (no music IIRC, but there was an explosion when you blew open some door), Magic Candle (no music and minimal sound effects), Centauri Alliance (I think), and probably others. Even Bard's Tale only had music. In regard to DOS games, in the early 80's there would have only been PC speaker music. And that would be frightening.

Yea I guess it isn't that surprising, but its both the DOS version and the C64 apparently have no sound. A big budget DOS game release in 1989 with no sound surprises me a little.

Its funny, Wasteland is one of if not my top RPG of all time, and even though it had very little sound it was still one of the most atmospheric games ever.

I would settle for footstep sounds even, but no sound at all is amazing.

I ordered it from EBAY, so while Im waiting for the box and stuff to arrive im gonna play Darklands....One of the must play games on my list.

Saxon1974 said:
I read something about how the interface being complicated led to the game not sellling well, a shame.....
Yeah, its a decent game, but the complexity is probably offputting for a lot of people. It sounded like they had developed a cool module system for any sequels, too.

Saxon1974 said:
Do you remember any sound or music after the intro? My game is in the DOs version using Dosbox and after the intro there is no sound or music at all. Just wondering if my setup is messed up.
I tried starting it up (DOS version in DosBox), and played around some, but besides the intro, I didn't get anything either. To be honest, I rarely play games with the sound turned on, so I can't really say if there's any later.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Flux_Capacitor said:
Saxon1974 said:
Yeah, its a decent game, but the complexity is probably offputting for a lot of people. It sounded like they had developed a cool module system for any sequels, too.

Saxon1974 said:
I tried starting it up (DOS version in DosBox), and played around some, but besides the intro, I didn't get anything either. To be honest, I rarely play games with the sound turned on, so I can't really say if there's any later.

I found a review on the game that mentioned the lack of sound, so I think that is normal. Thanks for your feedback. Once I start playing I will post some screenies on here.

MisterStone

Arcane
The lack of sound is probably due to the game originally having been developed for the Apple II which had crappy sound (unless you had a special sound card). I'm just guessing though...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom