Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Is it possible to make the tokens square or rectangular? The circles bother me.

it is easier to make custom tokens square (64x64) since you dont need to bother making em circles. My first playthrough party used squares since Im an oldfag who dont know how to make things circles

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Transcript for the soul sucker death snare battle:
"No."
"Wrong."
"Fuck."
"That was my last rez true."
"FUCKING FUCK!"
"Wow, it dispelled everything else BUT the fucking web!"
"Goddamned fucking piece of shit."

Reinhardt

Arcane
There's one token pack on the Nexus that gives you enough appealing/distinctive tokens to play the game fine. I'm just too lazy to remove all the garbage Pierre included with the game so have to keep scrolling thru. There are even a few decent ones there.
My point is to achieve a unified look by drawing from a single (or as little as possible if one's not enough) source and use it specifically to replace all the existing tokens included in KOTC2 (i.e. using the same names) so that simply by extracting and replacing in the appropriate folder, all tokens in the game will be automatically replaced.

But this would require way more time than I'm willing to spend on my own. Now, if a couple of codexers with joined me, I could coordinate an effort to get it done over the course of two weeks without much effort from the involved.

Sounds awesome. Let's do it.
:salute:

Can we get two or three more codexers on for this? Come on you lazy bastards, it's a small effort for the greater good!
nah, i won't share my animu waifu tokens with codex retards

Bara

Arcane
Okay damn what is up with the high sewers. Combat encounters are fun though I'm having issues with the snare trap fight but will try later.

But while the encounters are fun still none of this makes any sense. Why is there a random dragon that shows up no where and if its related to the cult okay but then why due the blue cloaks that came hunting it just leave after fighting it?

Where the hell did they even leave too? And then sudden appearance of fire giants and a phoenix in that same room when coming back and exploring different parts of the sewers where the hell were they hiding the lava?

Like I didn't go into this expecting a great story or anything after knights of the chalice 1 but this doesn't feel like a dungeon just a bunch of random connecting battle rooms.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Now I have a small conundrum, the sewers are clear except for the spider queen. Do I level everyone up to 18 and take her on or just camp and go in at 12?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I know you're down on Sam and after playing the Tutorial I can see why but there's more there than meets the eye, especially if you add in a Disarm/Trip package, and it covers the Word of Honor slot. That said I want my HG to be Grappling/Sliding so I'm running Champion this time while waiting for the Jorad bug to get fixed. Really wish Monk got Word of Honor.

As for Healing Domain I don't know WTF he's doing. I've yet to play Cleric since there are so many crazy Domains I can't give up Bishop but Healing ain't one of them. Is the Healbot thing a relic of people growing up on MMOs?
I assume you are not speaking about Jorad getting a pet so i'll ask what bug?

I'm surprised the village lasted as long as it did with so many unspeakable evils sitting underneath it in the absurdly large sewer system.
Isn't it a case for many CRPGs though?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Prince was a really big help for the battle. Let me get away with being level 12 for the encounter. These really long battles make me nervous as hell because the game is unstable.

I grappled the queen and pinned her to the floor with a three foot tall kobold.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Annnnnnnnnnnd OBS didn't record any of it, fucking godamn.

EDIT: Ironically I did the battle again and completely aced it. I mean, it couldn't have possibly have gone better and I saved every spider ally this time.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
:salute:

Can we get two or three more codexers on for this? Come on you lazy bastards, it's a small effort for the greater good!

How would it even work?
I'd help to the extend of my meager skills if it led to something easy to patch on the user end but I'm not sure.
Did you make some test, is replacing tokens with the same names going to change monsters tokens?

I know you're down on Sam and after playing the Tutorial I can see why but there's more there than meets the eye, especially if you add in a Disarm/Trip package, and it covers the Word of Honor slot. That said I want my HG to be Grappling/Sliding so I'm running Champion this time while waiting for the Jorad bug to get fixed. Really wish Monk got Word of Honor.

The problem is, the Samouraï is amazing, but not the way you and anvi want to use him.
He turns a +1 weapon into a +9 at max level, you have to ask yourself which enchantment can make the most of this.
The answer is skewer with a high damage and high crit multiplier weapon and bracers increasing the weapon multiplier even further...
Reach weapon have neither high damage nor crit multiplier.
There might be one artifact reach weapon in the whole game but I think it's already fully enchanted.

I assume you are not speaking about Jorad getting a pet so i'll ask what bug?

The game bugs for him when he picks Jorad, which is weird, never happened to me and I picked him twice, so either it's his system or the avatar/models he picks.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Did you make some test, is replacing tokens with the same names going to change monsters tokens?
yes. and not just monsters. for example

UE9yPX6.jpg

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The game bugs for him when he picks Jorad, which is weird, never happened to me and I picked him twice, so either it's his system or the avatar/models he picks.

Several people are reporting it on Steam. Maybe it has to do with waiting until you already have a full party to recruit him?

Eight active will crash it when you click the dialogue after the fight. If you make room for him it doesn't crash until you save. If you wait to save until the next autosave you can keep playing but then the game crashes if you later try to add him to the party.

Also a common crash when saving after getting the Shark Druid treasure and teleporting back to the surface.

Desiderius

Patron
The problem is, the Samouraï is amazing, but not the way you and anvi want to use him.
He turns a +1 weapon into a +9 at max level, you have to ask yourself which enchantment can make the most of this.

Through the first half of the game he turns a non-magic weapon into a magic weapon (and progressively more magic weapon), which is pretty handy given the lack of magic reachers and the limited ability to make/enhance your own whatever weapon you're using.

The endgame isn't the only part of the game with problems to solve and the better you solve the early/mid problems the easier the end gets where you have all kinds of other tools at your disposal.

Single weapon means you can't dual-wield. Whirlwind doesn't benefit from iteratives or Haste, but those are mid/late problems, not early. Sam/Whirlwind/Reach is (very) strong when other classes are weak, which is when you need it. And there's more to the game than crits. Hitting 24 squares instead of eight is virtually critting already, and that increased coverage lets you crit in a sense with Disarm as well with Ready vs Approach and Combat Reflexes. You can switch to a high crit weapon late for single targets if that's what you need and likewise can pick up Cleaves for your iteratives and move away from Whirlwind.

Bigger concern for me is that he has no spells, can't use scrolls, and does nothing to buff team.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I'd help to the extend of my meager skills if it led to something easy to patch on the user end but I'm not sure.
Exactly like that, you create a file with the same name, overwrite the pre-existing token, and it takes the place of the original in-game.
For the end user, it'll be as simple as unzipping the file in the token folder and clicking "replace all".

It'll go like this:

1. Source for the bestiary is defined. It can be D&D, PF, WHF, whatever has the most comprehensive list of critters. If possible, everything from a single artist, to keep consistency in looks.
2. Vote on token style, i.e. square vs round, and border color.
3. Tokens get distributed amongst each contributor. We'll work only on monsters, not humans. For tokens with pertinent variations (like a dragon that can be white, black, green, etc.), you'll send me the picture, and I'll edit it to get the appropriate hues. Tokens with irrelevant variations, like the ones where it's just the same image but zoomed, will get everything replaced by a single one. Ain't got no time to waste on that kind of shit.
4. After setting a reasonable time-frame, we'll settle on a single online token creator configured to the same parameters, and everyone starts working his backlog (at an easy pace).
5. I gather the results, check that everything's working, zip it, and upload it.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Exactly like that, you create a file with the same name, overwrite the pre-existing token, and it takes the place of the original in-game.
For the end user, it'll be as simple as unzipping the file in the token folder and clicking "replace all".

It'll go like this:

1. Source for the bestiary is defined. It can be D&D, PF, WHF, whatever has the most comprehensive list of critters. If possible, everything from a single artist, to keep consistency in looks.
3. Tokens get distributed amongst each contributor. We'll work only on monsters, not humans. For tokens with pertinent variations (like a dragon that can be white, black, green, etc.), you'll send me the picture, and I'll edit it to get the appropriate hues. Tokens with irrelevant variations, like the ones where it's just the same image but zoomed, will get everything replaced by a single one. Ain't got no time to waste on that kind of shit.
4. After setting a reasonable time-frame, we'll settle on a single online token creator configured to the same parameters, and everyone starts working his backlog (at an easy pace).
5. I gather the results, check that everything's working, zip it, and upload it.

Ok, count me in.

So, who's the fourth Dalton?
Avrell, are you there?

Through the first half of the game he turns a non-magic weapon into a magic weapon (and progressively more magic weapon), which is pretty handy given the lack of magic reachers and the limited ability to make/enhance your own whatever weapon you're using.

The endgame isn't the only part of the game with problems to solve and the better you solve the early/mid problems the easier the end gets where you have all kinds of other tools at your disposal.

Single weapon means you can't dual-wield. Whirlwind doesn't benefit from iteratives or Haste, but those are mid/late problems, not early. Sam/Whirlwind/Reach is (very) strong when other classes are weak, which is when you need it. And there's more to the game than crits. Hitting 24 squares instead of eight is virtually critting already, and that increased coverage lets you crit in a sense with Disarm as well with Ready vs Approach and Combat Reflexes. You can switch to a high crit weapon late for single targets if that's what you need and likewise can pick up Cleaves for your iteratives and move away from Whirlwind.

Bigger concern for me is that he has no spells, can't use scrolls, and does nothing to buff team.

But the early game is a cakewalk now with the extra content and weapons and equipment you gather in the village, that's why I was able to hoard xp to almost complete my Ironman run before it crashed on me.
Why would you want to fuck up your Samourai build for no reason?

And don't tell me Pizarra's fight, besides acorns of earthquake and initiative focused mages, the only thing that can save you there is a good skewer weapon/build.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

But the early game is a cakewalk now with the extra content and weapons and equipment you gather in the village, that's why I was able to hoard xp to almost complete my Ironman run before it crashed on me.

And don't tell me Pizarra's fight, besides acorns of earthquake and initiative focused mages, the only thing that can save you there is a good skewer weapon/build.
How you "fuck up" Samurai build? Samurai already starts with whirlwind so this is just fast whirlwind + samurai style reach = 2 feats. Is, according to you, samurai a feat starved class and this is about full Archmage (1 feat per 3 level)? Because otherwise i don't see the problem? Not saying that you are wrong just trying to understand. If not feats that leaves the weapon issue, making two weapons for one character is not economic, you are probably right here.

FA7

Educated
TIL: You can dispel damaged while casting condition o_O
I think that's a bug tho
oF0NXpZ.png

Darth Canoli

Arcane
How you "fuck up" Samurai build? Samurai already starts with whirlwind so this is just fast whirlwind + samurai style reach = 2 feats. Is, according to you, samurai a feat starved class and this is about full Archmage (1 feat per 3 level)? Because otherwise i don't see the problem? Not saying that you are wrong just trying to understand. If not feats that leaves the weapon issue, making two weapons for one character is not economic, you are probably right here.

Both.
With the original rules (Archmage) you only get 10 feats + starting ones depending on your race.
It's just enough for an attack/crit focused samourai + saving throws feats.
Arguably, you don't need more crit chances but you really do, because even with skewer, the toughest enemies have high AC and getting a roll > AC +5 isn't a given.

Gold and crystals are also an issue.

Now, if you play on baby mode, sure, what the hell, pick all the feats, max attributes, reduced enemy levels, reduced enemy ini.
Well, you don't even have to plan your build, now, do you?

Desiderius

Patron

It'll go like this:

Ok, count me in.

So, who's the fourth Dalton?
Avrell, are you there?

I’m not fucking up anything. Playing class naturally lets you carry the team until everyone else develops.

The alternatives are making two weapons anyway because they’re dual-wielding. If he’s talking about Disarm with Greater you get three Disarms at range with Reach, Ready vs Approach, and Combat Reflexes so you can really protect your team/hold down a choke.

The class does give you some bonus feats on top of the several ones it gives you for free and adds damage dice as you level. It’s not for pure damage whores but makes up for it with tactical flexibility. You can Whirlwind/Ready on turns you need to move then iterate and Cleave later when you’re in position for a full attack, and getting in position is easier with Reach.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The alternatives are making two weapons anyway because they’re dual-wielding.

Dual wielding a Samouraï...
Now I've read everything!
You know samourai sword style doesn't work with shields or dual wielding, right?

It’s not for pure damage whores

The whores are not the ones splitting you in two, that's the other way around, dude!

Desiderius

Patron
Dual wielding a Samouraï...
Now I've read everything!
You know samourai sword style doesn't work with shields or dual wielding, right?

Yes, dumbass, the alternatives are the other martial classes. That's what we're talking about.

Somehow I could tell you were a save feat taker. You do know that Sam gets Iron Will for free, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom