Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Knights of the Chalice is Here

crpgnut

Augur
I have to agree with the consensus here, this is the best turn-based combat game I've played in eons. ToEE was similar, but it was so buggy when it came out compared to this indie game. Add me to the list of folks who are bummed about no turn undead. I created a wand of searing so that me cleric at least does a lot of damage to them.

Castanova

Prophet
Downloaded the demo but haven't had a chance to play yet. Based on the FAQ/etc on the guy's website, though, he sounds like he has good taste.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
youhomofo said:
Okay, let me rescind my previous bitch-fest.

Ten minutes into the demo I found myself in a fight against a troll, a couple of wizards, and several warriors. I cast web in the center of the room to block the enemy. What happens? Well, a wizard casts fireball into the center of the web specifically to burn it away. Meanwhile, the troll intentionally skirts the web to get at my cleric. My wizard is bullrushed into the tattered remains of his own web where he gets hopelessly entangled and I quickly die.

I don't think I've ever experienced anything quite like that. Generally I drop web in front of the enemy and they all charge idiotically through it, getting stuck and killed in the process. Wizards buff themselves lots, then shoot a few spells at me. They never intentionally alter the environment.

I'm deeply impressed, and if this is the kind of thing I can expect throughout the game I'm looking forward to the full version.

That's some high praise. I've got to try this out now.

I've never seen the Codex loving a game in real time like this. :lol:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I think it's because the game went under the radar of most people, even if it was covered here, so it was some kind of surprise when it came out along with a demo. I guess we still like games after all.

circ

Arcane
Graphics are mostly awesome. Some colors look fucked up and some of the angles likewize, but hey. Also spells look AWESOME. It's like a downgraded TOEE. And is that some D&D ruleset too? AWESOME? Now I just have to hear of some convincing reason to try it out.

getter77

Augur
Also, it has seen another couple updates to 1.18 now with 1.18 being another fairly meaty patch.

There's also now a subforum for throwing around some ideas on a KoTC2 depending on how things round out.

Fezzik

Cipher
circ said:
Graphics are mostly awesome. Some colors look fucked up and some of the angles likewize, but hey. Also spells look AWESOME. It's like a downgraded TOEE. And is that some D&D ruleset too? AWESOME? Now I just have to hear of some convincing reason to try it out.
The encounter design and the AI are phenomenal and the combat system is well-implemented. It's simply the best combat experience I've ever had with an RPG. Try the demo.

Castanova

Prophet
OK, finally bought the thing and have started playing. I went with 2 clerics, 2 wizards as my first party. Man, that first major fight is brutal without any "real" tanks yet. Now, I'm level 3 and my clerics are finally starting to man up and hulk the fuck out. I just headed into Corinth. Going to go back to the caves to kill that Vampire guy when I get some magic weapons, I guess.

Questions:

1) How/when does one get access to some of the crafting feats? My clerics have Scribe Scroll and one of my wizards has Forge Weapons and Armor. I also saw that Craft Wondrous Item is available but I didn't take it yet. I haven't seen Craft Wand, Forge Ring, or Craft Magic Weapon and Armor, though. Do they appear when my guys hit a specific level or something? Are there pre-requisites?

2) I'm considering giving one or both of my clerics a Martial Weapon feat. Is there any reason to worry about having multiple weapon types? I.e., can I give them some longswords and be happy? Or do I need to worry about having a bludgeoning weapon as well? I guess, theoretically, I could switch to Morningstars (simple) if I need a bludgeoning weapon, but still. I don't want to waste a Martial Weapon feat for the wrong weapon type.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Castanova said:
1) How/when does one get access to some of the crafting feats? My clerics have Scribe Scroll and one of my wizards has Forge Weapons and Armor. I also saw that Craft Wondrous Item is available but I didn't take it yet. I haven't seen Craft Wand, Forge Ring, or Craft Magic Weapon and Armor, though. Do they appear when my guys hit a specific level or something? Are there pre-requisites?

Yes, they are available after certain levels (Magic weapon and armour, for example, is available after you reach level 5). You can also check the in-game help section (F1) to get answers on pretty much everything, since it's more like a manual than a 'help section' ;)

2) I'm considering giving one or both of my clerics a Martial Weapon feat. Is there any reason to worry about having multiple weapon types? I.e., can I give them some longswords and be happy? Or do I need to worry about having a bludgeoning weapon as well? I guess, theoretically, I could switch to Morningstars (simple) if I need a bludgeoning weapon, but still. I don't want to waste a Martial Weapon feat for the wrong weapon type.

Iirc, slashing/bludgeoning weapons don't really have much differences across the game, their material (adamantine, cold iron etc) counts a lot more than their damage type.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Castanova said:

There are def. some encounters where the enemies resist damage based on damage type: IE skeletons resisting slashing but not crushing

But it's not a very high number of encounters that do this.

Castanova

Prophet
Cool, thanks. I decided to just stick with morningstars for my clerics. For some reason I thought they did 1d6 not 1d8 but now that I realized I was wrong there's no reason for me to waste a feat just to use a longsword where all I get is a higher chance of critting.

So far 4 spellcasters is really paying off. That being said, I had to take the Quick Draw feat for the clerics because I wanted to give them shields. Gets kind of annoying to switch the weapon in and out every other round.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
A few (!) more patches have been released, with some graphical upgrades:

Added a new high resolution text font for the help entries, load screen and rolls history window.

Added a new graphic mode (960x720 with the world and characters printed in small size). It’s a good mode, giving a more strategic view. To use it, select 960x720 (b) in the window’s menu bar.

Awesome... A lot of other useful updates as well... http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78

The guy is considering adding Turn Undead... How's that for supporting a game?

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
cool game, but man, some of the encounters are stacked against you so much that the only way to beat is through multiple reloads and lots of luck.

In the temple at Valicia or w/e and you come into a room full of assorted mercenaries (good 20) and a really high level red dragon. Killing the mercenaries is not much of a problem if you get a solid start and they dont spam spells like mind blast and shit, but killing the Red Dragon, fuck me. 600hp, and buffed by everysingle spell possible from 1-9 from both classes, I have no fuckin idea how to kill this son of a bitch, heightened dispel dosnt work, resists it like everything else, and fighting him in melee is a no-go while he has his buffs on (chance to hit is in single digits). Anyways, kinda stuck

:x

got the chalice too, stuck the enchantment on the death sword that you get from the balor that is guarding it. Dosnt seem to do anything though. its my mainhand weapon on a two-weapon knight and he still hits pathetic on alot of monsters.

lvl20 party

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
hoodoo said:
cool game, but man, some of the encounters are stacked against you so much that the only way to beat is through multiple reloads and lots of luck.

In the temple at Valicia or w/e and you come into a room full of assorted mercenaries (good 20) and a really high level red dragon. Killing the mercenaries is not much of a problem if you get a solid start and they dont spam spells like mind blast and shit, but killing the Red Dragon, fuck me. 600hp, and buffed by everysingle spell possible from 1-9 from both classes, I have no fuckin idea how to kill this son of a bitch, heightened dispel dosnt work, resists it like everything else, and fighting him in melee is a no-go while he has his buffs on (chance to hit is in single digits). Anyways, kinda stuck

:x

got the chalice too, stuck the enchantment on the death sword that you get from the balor that is guarding it. Dosnt seem to do anything though. its my mainhand weapon on a two-weapon knight and he still hits pathetic on alot of monsters.

lvl20 party
Irresistable Dance (this is a mage spell), You can also craft weapons to overcome his DR, dunno holy/axiomatic or whatever the red dragon had, you will need every bit of attack bonus to hit his AC though, use all cleric and mage buffs that provide an AB bonus, flank him too

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Resisted :(

had the general dominated and everyone killed, dragon fire breaths, hitting 100's, kills general and cleric. spent the last rounds casting dance

wizard has 31 int, idk what to do

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
hoodoo said:
Resisted :(

had the general dominated and everyone killed, dragon fire breaths, hitting 100's, kills general and cleric. spent the last rounds casting dance

wizard has 31 int, idk what to do
Have your mage scribe a few scrolls, mainly dominate monster and dance and dehydration.

When the fight starts just use web on the area infront of you (so the enemy can't approach quickly), this will hold back the dragon too, let your knights stay there (in reach of mass heals/resurrections from the cleric) , only kill those enemies which are approaching and reaching your position. Spend your time buffing up completely. Mass Death ward, Greater Fire Protection (dragon breath), Mass Pro Evil, Haste, greater Heroism, Prayer and so on and so forth, cast a second web and renew web when you have the opportunity. If buffed up start spamming Dehydrate and Mass Harm. This will kill off the goons eventually. If the dragon is alone let your knights flank him, the cleric has to be near enough to heal. The wizard casts dance until it succeeds. Summon an elemental for distraction etc. If he has iceshield up use Greater Frost protection etc.

why does your wizard not have greater spell penetration? greater focus enchantment?

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
hes got spell pen, mebbe not greater though. First d&d game so p noob. Dont think I got scribe scroll either :/

Heroism stacks with bless and prayer?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
hoodoo said:
hes got spell pen, mebbe not greater though. First d&d game so p noob. Dont think I got scribe scroll either :/

Heroism stacks with bless and prayer?

Wizards do get scribe scroll automatically. I don't remember where exactly it is probably on the crafting screen. Heroism stacks with other buffs but Heroism and Greater Heroism don't stack.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
After trying the demo i bought it AND LOVED IT!

Fuck the AAA games, indie is the way to go for RPG's.

I feel like im cheating though....i keep reloading and resting all the time.

BTW any ideas on the sales figure for this gem?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Reload and rest as much as you want. If you think it's getting too easy, rest or save less. There's really no shame in playing it in a way comfortable to you. It's a real gem! I'm both sad and glad I only heard about it this month; this was the best RPG I had for ages. I may enjoy some Fallout-popamole once in a while, but my heart still truly rests with the combat engines of days past. Exploring, fighting, character-building... so satisfying.

Pope Amole

Educated
hoodoo said:
but killing the Red Dragon, fuck me. 600hp, and buffed by everysingle spell possible from 1-9 from both classes, I have no fuckin idea how to kill this son of a bitch, heightened dispel dosnt work, resists it like everything else, and fighting him in melee is a no-go while he has his buffs on (chance to hit is in single digits). Anyways, kinda stuck

Erm, I remember that conjure poison (or poison cloud? damn, already forgot the names of the spells there, well, it's like the 5th level conjuration AoE that gave minuses to constitution) worked wonders on dragons. It was not affected by spell resistance (IIRC) and it had a minor effect even if the dragon rolled his saving roll successfully, so a massed spam of these clouds, in all variations (meaning with generous application of metamagic) killed them really, really fast and easy. Note that I had a 3-sorc party, though, and that I had not quite finished the game due to some reason (boringness, perhaps - with such party it became all too easy) so I don't know if this endboss dragon is protected from minuses to the stats or no.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I found waves of exhaustion etc combined with harm, dehydrate and superior disintegration proved the best way of whittling down the red dragon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom