Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KOTOR 2 impressions

Surlent

Liturgist
Comparison to PST is relevant. Like PST had easy combat, so has KotR2.

PST also had loads of dialogue from which some part was pretty useless. Like describing a character to great lenghts before even the actual conversation had started. KotR2 has similar issue even with simple FedX quests. NPCs talk hours before they give you a quest.

There's also positive similarities with the dialogue. You can see in the option when you intent to lie and there's plenty of choices all the time (though the results may be the same in the end).

About roleplaying, noone mentioned you can't complete the game without combat. Nope, persuasion skills are nice extra but you are bound to fight enemies whether you had stealth and all the possible persuasion skills/powers or not.

I know Obsidian didn't have much time with the sequel and LucasArts might have pushed them forward, but you can see obvious pattern with KotR2 and PST. Both have MCA's handprint on them, it's interesting how you can spot similarities in their design.

[spoilers]
Like said, KotR's rushed end part is just like Bloodlines revisited, the content with Dantooine and Korriban is almost non existing compared to Dxun, Telos and NarShadaa. The end part where you attack the airship is anticlimatic, after hordes of enemies you finally face the enemy and he doesn't even manage to sprout one word that would make sense. And the battle against him was over so quick , I was left asking how this guy could ever take out planets singlehandedly. After that it really goes downto selfrepeating combat if it wasn't already.
[/spoilers]

Because of the TSF guards, Telos atmosphere, implants and the scifi setting, this game also reminds me alot of Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Oh yea, good review VD.

I enjoyed the game, I switched to difficult nearly from the start about halfway through peragus station. I've finished it with a lightside master/consular and am now playing through with a darkside sith marauder/guardian. I'm happy enough with the amount of differences i am encountering especially with the npc dialogues. Its not revolutionary gameplay but it happily devours hours of my time.

Killing the world eater guy Darth Nihilus is ridiculously easy, he folds like a cheap hooker being puncched in the stomach by a polar bear.

I just found out that you can never find the HK50 factory. That is fucking retarded and seriously annoying.

Stainless

Novice
It was an entertaining time waster. But after finishing it the first time, I simply had a dumb look on my face (you know, gaping mouth, looking a tad dazed) thinking "WTF?" as the credits rolled. I can stomach mounds of combat if there's at least something worth while afterwards, but simply seeing a video scroll to some nebula-thingy was just pathetic.

The combat was easy. My 8 strength counseler could kill the enemies at the end in about 2 melee hits.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Instead, KotOR1 actually gave them a name. I would assume those peons I wiped out on Korriban in KotOR that were teaching the academy would be Sith Lords, wouldn't you?"

I'd wager most of the teahcers at the Academy would not be teachers. Surely, Sith Lords for the most part would not have time for that stuff. Maybe, the 'head teacher' one was a Sith Lord; but even then I wouldn't guarantee then. Even then, the leaders on korriban actually had names and personality. They just weren't 'Sith Lord'. :roll:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
NeverwinterKnight said:
1)you are the last known jedi.
why this makes sense? because for the sith that are hunting you (and i will get to why they are hunting you in a moment), they believe you to be the last known jedi.
Yeah, I know, that's what the game represented by Kreia tells you. However, it doesn't make much sense. First, you aren't a Jedi, not any longer, and not in the Jolee from the first game sense. You've lost your connection to the Force. So, for years you were a nobody, and suddenly you are the last Jedi and everyone, including the Republic, is paying close attention to you. I doubt that the Masters were that hard to find, btw. After all, YOU have found them easily. Also, wasn't one killed and one captured by the time you found them?

Overall, it was an unnecessary and weak plot device designed to make it appealing for morons who want their character to be someone special and important.

Another thing that bugged me was that whole Jedi recruiting thing. As I recall ex-Revan (!) had to study at the Academy to become a Jedi and re-learn basic abilities. Now, in KOTOR 2 you find a bunch of people and make lvl 20 Jedi out of all them in a few days. How fucking lame is that?

2)hopping from planet to planet
why it makes sense? because you (the exile) want questions answered about why you were cut off from the force and why the council cast you out.
Once again you are repeating what the game tells you without thinking about that. So, the Council casts you out years ago, and then suddenly you wake up one day and say "hey, I've just realized that the Jerk Council owes me an explanation. Why won't I seek them out and maybe someone will make a game out of it one day?" You don't look for the bad guys, you don't try to figure out who they are and how to stop them, you don't look for clues and consult with the Masters about those clues. No, instead, like I said, you look for 4 masters, they tell you the same thing "no, we didn't do nothing to you. yes, you are special. yes, we are hiding. no, we have no clue who's doing that", then they die, and then you are told where to go to easily kill the game bosses who threaten the galaxy and destroy planets just by looking at them.

3)kreia was behind it all
her little diatribe at the end explains the above two plot points in greater detail.
How convinient. I recall a review of National Treasure that mentions an A-Ha moment: "An A-Ha! Moment, you will recall, is that moment at which a movie character suddenly understands something which, if he did not understand it, would bring the entire enterprise to a halt." Same here. Kreia being a team player takes one for the team and takes all the blame for the plot holes and inconsistencies: "uh, yeah, it was all my plotting and scheming all along. [weak laughter] Got you there, didn't I?"

EEVIAC

Erudite
I don't think anyone's mentioned the influence system yet. That, and not being interupted by followers, is the way NPC followers should be handled. Easily the best design in the game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Overall, it was an unnecessary and weak plot device designed to make it appealing for morons who want their character to be someone special and important."

Not to mention the fatc they only had a solid way to make the PC special, and important. His (lack of) connection to the force. The Last Jedi thing was not needed at all. The PC was already special.

"I don't think anyone's mentioned the influence system yet. That, and not being interupted by followers, is the way NPC followers should be handled. Easily the best design in the game."

Influence was okay; but it had some major problems. The biggets being the fact that in most cases its the NPC influencing the PC. The PC has to say what the NPC wants to hear to get anywhere. That's silly. Not to mention the fact, that sometimes you can get an enture life story within 5 minutes (Mira comes to mind) or have to fight tooth and nail for it (Bao Dur inspite the fact he's supposed to be your best buddy from the war)...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
VD: You pretty much hit it on the head though I actually think the story is good. Not greta; but good. Coulda been much more. However, i find it hialrious that you were basically calling me a stupid fanboy when I made fun of KOTOR2 when I did my 'early review'. How quickly the opinions change. Never argue with Volourn. I'm *always* right.
You misunderstood. I have neither called you a stupid fanboy nor disagreed with your review. I made some fun of you for posting a review after playing the first area, and that was it.

Surlent said:
About roleplaying, noone mentioned you can't complete the game without combat. Nope, persuasion skills are nice extra but you are bound to fight enemies whether you had stealth and all the possible persuasion skills/powers or not.
I've decided not to bitch about issues that sorta came with the gameplay style of the original. The things that I disliked in the both KOTOR games are mandatory combat waves; forced followers - I really hated some party members, and I didn't want to see their ugly mugs on my ship in both games, yet I had to; and forced class changes.

EEVIAC said:
I don't think anyone's mentioned the influence system yet. That, and not being interupted by followers, is the way NPC followers should be handled. Easily the best design in the game.
That was OK, imo. Great idea, but flawed implementation.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I made some fun of you for posting a review after playing the first area, and that was it."

Eh. It's not like I pretended it was a fullfledge review like some others we know. <> I made it pretty clear it was an early review. And, now finishing the game, I'm simply not motivated to do a full review....

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Influence was okay; but it had some major problems. The biggets being the fact that in most cases its the NPC influencing the PC. The PC has to say what the NPC wants to hear to get anywhere. That's silly. Not to mention the fact, that sometimes you can get an enture life story within 5 minutes (Mira comes to mind) or have to fight tooth and nail for it (Bao Dur inspite the fact he's supposed to be your best buddy from the war)...
Exactly. Plus, sometimes saying the "right thing" would get you different Side points. Very annoying when you get the DS mastery, and you lose it because you said something nice to gain influence, and now you need to look for something evil to do to restore your rep.

And, now finishing the game, I'm simply not motivated to do a full review....
And that it why I complained.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"And that it why I complained."

Huh? You complained because I wasn't gonna be moitivated to do a full review in the future? WOW! Impressive. You must be Kreia's soulmate seeing in the future like that...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Didn't you already pull the same shit with Bloodlines? Doesn't take a mind reader to see the trend.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
If companies would stop the trend of half assing it then maybe I wouldn't half ass it either. :twisted:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
To put it simply, I didn't like KOTOR 2. Two main reasons are ridiculously easy combat that killed the combat-related part of the game and the lack of a coherent story that killed the rest. The rushed Bloodlines-style ending didn't help either. The dialogues were good, but the dialogues alone can't carry a game.

You know what gets me about the combat? It's pretty easy through most of the game, granted. However, some of the bosses are ridiculously hard especially if you're not prepared for the "long haul".

I was playing a guardian on the dark side path, and after the first planet, I had to face a jedi master in a duel. Now, I had two peons in tow, Atton and Visas. It was Dantooine, and I had set up the citadel building to be the ultimate death trap for the people in that building, right?

Well, here's what happens. After the movie where you see the mercenary forces kicking the militia's ass, you get stuck in a room with the Jedi Master, Atton, Visas, and you. You're totally locked in this room, no way out. Atton and Visas, while being IN THE ROOM, are not in the party and just stand there. There's no sign of any war droids roaming around, and I can't open a door to let a few in.

At that point, Mister Irrate Jedi Master comes after you. I could barely scratch him, and he's doing massive damage to me. So, I start using mines on him, exploiting the AI's pathfinding to lure him in to deadly mine traps. I get him down about half way, and I get the "YOU HAVE LEARNED A NEW STANCE" dialogue. Then the Jedi Master starts Force Healing himself back to full health every time he's reduced by half. I had something like 40 mines, most were average rating, when I started doing that. I actually ran out of mines and he had full health at the end of my bombing spree.

There's no way that fight should have been that tough considering how much time and parts I spent making sure droids, mines, turrets, and everything else would be against the people inside that building. In fact, there's no reason I should be fighting that Jedi Master alone when my two followers are standing right there in the room with their thumbs up their asses.

Same old 3 classes that are forcefully upgraded into 3 better classes later. More feats, more powers, same skills, new lightsaber styles which are basically combat modifiers: +1 to attack, -2 to defense, etc. Nothing that would change the gameplay formula significantly. It would have been nice to have those things in KOTOR, but I expected more from a sequel.

The problem is that the classes aren't balanced at all. By level 20, the Guardian has 21 feats - the Sentinel has 20 feats. Meanwhile, the Sentinel has gobs of force powers and the ability to use them, and tons of skill points.

The stances don't matter too much after you start getting +29 to hit scores. +/-1 isn't going to matter much, so they should have scaled accordingly. +/-1 for every four levels would have made them actually useful and important.

Nice feature. You can break existing items into components and make new items, including upgrade items that could turn even a crappy stick into a deadly blade of ultimate doom and extreme ownage. Sounds cool in theory. I bet such a system would have been a blast in FO3 where items were rare. In KOTOR 2 items are everywhere. Even animals imported to different planets from the Diablo universe drop items. I don't need to craft anything because I have plenty of everything. I used medkits twice and that was when the game Forced me to play someone else (more on that later). You can find plenty of items, so when I finally loaded everything I found into my lightsaber, the damage output was enough to kill everything in 2-3 hits. I suppose I could have fine-tuned it with better upgrades to 1-2 hits but why bother?

I used crafting for my guardian so I could craft some energy absorbing armor after I figured out that I couldn't solo beat that Jedi Master mentionned above. It didn't help much.

Crafting is a cool feature, but it's a better feature in a more open ended game, I think. While KotOR did have a lot of drops, it was also highly linear. Instead of feeling like you had the time to stop at a workbench and fuck around to make some gadgets, you feel like you have to push through a planet to get to the next planet.

My first game, I never got an underlay drop, though. I actually stopped at one point to craft some for Atton.

Teh Stori:

You are the last Jedi who's every non-robot companion is a Jedi and who's sent by another Jedi to look for 4 Jedi Masters. If you see nothing wrong with that sentense, you'll like the game very much. Also, it's worth noting that the "find 4 itamz on 4 different planets" schtick is pretty much the story. There is nothing else to it. This is not Planscape Torment, this is basically a series of loosely connected scenarios where you can practice your role-playing skills and listen to well-written, but empty dialogues about the Force and Jedi.

1.) None of those companions are jedis when you meet them. Of course, there are two that are Sith when you meet them.
2.) The Last Jedi thing is only a lie to get the Sith after you. That's actually covered in TEH STOREY.

Of course, you are the Special One, and you get a Force bond just like the one in KOTOR. Yay for originality.

Only.. It's nothing like the one in the first one!

Also, you are a war veteran and a GENERAL, yet you start at level 1 with 0 skills. Some General, huh?

I agree that this is kind of silly. It would have been nice if you'd gotten a few levels of soldier.

The characters are better, but not by much. The comparison with PST characters is inevitable, and KOTOR 2 loses easily. The dialogues are very good though. Unfortunately, they don't tell a story because KOTOR 2 doesn't have that feature, so everything revolves around the Force, Jedi, and right&wrong in that context. After awhile it gets boring because you are just restating the position of your character.

Actually, it does have that feature if you have INFLUENCE.

Another thing is delegation, and this one is extremely annoying. Throughout the game, you'd have to use party members to complete different gameplay objectives. No, it's not as fun as it sounds. For example, at some point the game puts Atton the ranged support character against two blade-wielding melee assassins. I haven't been using him for awhile and thus didn't upgrade him into a Jedi with powahz. Luckily the combat is that easy, and the AI isn't the brightest so it's easy to put an obstacle like a table between you and your dumb opponent, safely shooting at him/her with extreme prejudice.

Yeah, that pissed me off. What really got me is that at one point they pit Mister Blaster Atton versus two dual wielding sword chicks. If he dies, GAEM OVAR. Huh? I thought the story was about the Exile? I'm sure it might bum Exhile out, but come on! It shouldn't really matter at all to the over all story if Atton gets wacked by two killer harlots in a space pub.

The game shows a lot of promise, there are many nice features, yet it plays like the original. Perhaps Obsidian was afraid to move from the "award-winning formula", perhaps Lucas Arts is to blame here (Remember, kids, always try to blame the publisher. Those fuckers are more evil than a bunch of Sith Lords). It's not a bad game, but it's not a good game either. It's somewhere in the middle, bundled together with Bloodlines under the "why did they have to ruin a good game with something stu[pid" category.

It's nothing like the original. While there are similarities, BioWare is the one trick pony - Obsidian isn't. Notice in KotOR, every combat area had the broken droid or two you could fix up and have kill most of the baddies for you. Notice how most areas that had any type of solving in KotOR had the obligatory blown off arm with a datapad. KotOR2 was very, VERY different from that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
1.) None of those companions are jedis when you meet them. Of course, there are two that are Sith when you meet them.
Well, they became lvl 20 Jedi in a matter of days, so it's clear that they were closet Jedi just waiting for someone to accept them as Jedi officially.

2.) The Last Jedi thing is only a lie to get the Sith after you. That's actually covered in TEH STOREY.
I know, but it's such a dumb lie and as such it's a weak plot device. The Sith may have been told that, but your PC should have been told something else, something that actually makes sense.

Of course, you are the Special One, and you get a Force bond just like the one in KOTOR. Yay for originality.

Only.. It's nothing like the one in the first one!
That would have been way too stupid. Granted the details are different, but overall when you go over the beginning with a check list, it's the same:

the special one - check
force bond - check
female force character plus male pistolero starting combo - check
"fastest ship in the galaxy" - check

So, yeah, sure, it was done very differently, yet at its core when broken down to basic components, it's still the same shit. That and the other elements are the reason everyone kept talking about deja vu when playing the game.

Also, you are a war veteran and a GENERAL, yet you start at level 1 with 0 skills. Some General, huh?
I agree that this is kind of silly. It would have been nice if you'd gotten a few levels of soldier.
Considering that you get 8 or 9 levels before you leave the starting area, they could have easily let you start the game with some levels.

Actually, it does have that feature if you have INFLUENCE.
I did have that, and I saw some movies and heard a few stories. Nothing I can call a story though. Well, it's possible that I missed something or misinterpreted some events. Post your take on the story here.

KotOR2 was very, VERY different from that.
In little details, yes, there is no doubt. The skills alone greatly improved the gameplay. The side quests are also well designed with role-playing in mind. Etc, etc, etc. But overall on macro level it plays like the original.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
The problem is that the classes aren't balanced at all. By level 20, the Guardian has 21 feats - the Sentinel has 20 feats. Meanwhile, the Sentinel has gobs of force powers and the ability to use them, and tons of skill points.

Hmm..... I was wondering why they didn't include the class level progression charts in the manual, the way Bio did in the original. Guess they knew the new charts made no sense.

At first I thought it was some sort of game balance tweak, but I now think this must have been the case all the way through development. The Handmaiden plot wouldn't work for anyone but Guardians if the other Jedi classes weren't overpowered in melee, unless you refrained from levelling her.

Crafting is a cool feature, but it's a better feature in a more open ended game, I think. While KotOR did have a lot of drops, it was also highly linear. Instead of feeling like you had the time to stop at a workbench and fuck around to make some gadgets, you feel like you have to push through a planet to get to the next planet.

I think the idea was that you do the crafting on the ship between planets. (Handmaiden refers to the tedium of interstellar travel). This would work a lot better if you were actually walking around on the ship between planets, instead of taking off and landing in one big cut-scene.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Overall, it was an unnecessary and weak plot device designed to make it appealing for morons who want their character to be someone special and important.

Once again you are repeating what the game tells you without thinking about that.

two reasons why i should have stuck to my vow about not repeating myself.

so because i felt the story made sense, i am a "moron" and "not thinking". no offense, but coming to that conclusion about people who thought the story was good is the same as me saying your just not smart enough to "get it". but i try to refrain from the name calling when in a debate.

guess i should have just kept my views to myself then, huh. :roll:

Vault Dweller

Developer
NeverwinterKnight said:
so because i felt the story made sense, i am a "moron" and "not thinking".
I didn't call you a moron. When I said "not thining" it didn't imply that you are incapable of thinking, but that you have accepted the story without questioning its elements or thinking about it. Nothing wrong with that, basically.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
I didn't call you a moron. When I said "not thining" it didn't imply that you are incapable of thinking, but that you have accepted the story without questioning its elements or thinking about it. Nothing wrong with that, basically.

ah but i have thought about it. considering volourn has been saying the same things you have, ive had no choice but to think about the story elements over and over in my debates with him.

its just a matter of me believing the story to be feasible. im not going to proclaim it the greatest story ever made, or that it doesnt have SOME plotholes that should have been fixed or described better, but as a whole i felt it was a coherent story.

ive seen better, but at the same time if you consider this an incoherent story (which is what the original debate was about) then id say that about 90% of the games out there would be considered incoherent if kotor2 is your definition of "incoherent story".

Vault Dweller

Developer
NeverwinterKnight said:
considering volourn has been saying the same things you have, ive had no choice but to think about the story elements over and over in my debates with him.
Well, I didn't know that as I don't follow debates at other sites. As for Volourn saying the same thing as I have, it's because he's my alternative account. The funny thing is he thinks he's a real boy. :lol:

its just a matter of me believing the story to be feasible.
Amen. Like I said I didn't mean to offend. I was curious what other people thought of the story and why, that's why I asked you to post your position here. Then I have commented on a few issues and that pretty much concludes the matter. Arguing and trying to prove that your or my taste is wrong would be pointless.

ive seen better, but at the same time if you consider this an incoherent story (which is what the original debate was about) then id say that about 90% of the games out there would be considered incoherent if kotor2 is your definition of "incoherent story".
I'll post some more thoughts on that later. Don't have much time left now.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
As for Volourn saying the same thing as I have, it's because he's my alternative account. The funny thing is he thinks he's a real boy. :lol:

i always thought volourn was just a forum bot that some brilliant chinese guy (with bad spelling) created. :?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
the special one - check
force bond - check
female force character plus male pistolero starting combo - check
"fastest ship in the galaxy" - check

Holy shit! Four basic commonalities from a sequel! Even though the implimentation of those four commonalities, with the exception of the ship, were totally different! I think you may be on to something! It's totally the same game!

By the way, when you're finding yourself agreeing with Volourn on most things on a subject, chances are you're wrong.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, Saint, let's say you have a new game that starts like that:

You are travelling on a train with other passengers. The train crashes and you are the only survivor. There was a dying gnome with a fake beard who pretended to be a dwarf. He mumbles something and gives you an amulet with some scribblings on it. There is guy who saw the whole thing and he's so impressed with your survival skills that he joins your party and tells you that there is a prophecy about The Ultimate Survival Champion.

Now, a quick summary:

crash - check
the only survivor - check
dying midget with a gadget - check
related prophecy - check

That could be a totally different game. It could even be a better game, but the point is that the elements of the beginning of the game, something that sets the mood and the story, are basically the same.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Holy shit! Four basic commonalities from a sequel! Even though the implimentation of those four commonalities, with the exception of the ship, were totally different! I think you may be on to something! It's totally the same game!"

You, McFly, how 'bout this for common things in both games?

- collect 4 items (err.. Jedi masters, lol)

- 2 planets from the first game

- character conviently has to face the final encounter alone

I'm sure there's more... But, hey, keep spinning that KOTOR2 is the most original game of all time, and I'll continue laughing at you.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Similarities to KotOR 1 are all well and good, but I thought those were superficial compared to the blatant ripoffs of PS:T. Especially in the original ending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom