Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LA Noire Making-Of video

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
Been looking forward to this one. In the end I think the facial recognition aspect will be overhyped, but I could be wrong. Looks promising either way; read somewhere (can't recall) that it's not just a GTA clone. More action than could be reasonably expected from an actual police situation, I'm sure, but not just gun-gun-murder the entire time.

Also, I think all the crimes portrayed in the game were based on actual cases, with alterations of course so as to add to the drama.

MapMan

Arcane
I don't know. On one hand, the tech they use for facial expressions capture is quite good (for example avatar used it as well) but in the game it looks mehish. I think the gta engine makes it look like shit.

Quilty

Magister
It's still pretty much in the uncanny valley category IMO. Game dev's always seem to stress the one single aspect of their games that the gamers, ultimately, won't care about. I'm not here to study the facial movement of a face, nor watch a movie, I'm here to play a game. Take your tedious cutscenes and go back to 1998 or whatever. I mean, I'm all for monoclean respect of the good old days, but come on, I'm happy cutscenes are no longer the one big thing in games.

OuterSpace

Scholar
According to the videos, trying to determine if NPCs are lying or telling the truth is a major part of the game. A large chunk of it is interrogating witnesses and then choosing whether your character believes them or not based on the way they act. If the game really can convey that much subtlety then the Mo-Cap hyping is justified.

The tech looks better before they put it in the game engine though. I think the uncanny valley effect comes from the heads being stationary when the face capturing is done, and then combining that with mo-cap done seperately.

Data4

Arcane
OuterSpace said:
According to the videos, trying to determine if NPCs are lying or telling the truth is a major part of the game. A large chunk of it is interrogating witnesses and then choosing whether your character believes them or not based on the way they act. If the game really can convey that much subtlety then the Mo-Cap hyping is justified.

The tech looks better before they put it in the game engine though. I think the uncanny valley effect comes from the heads being stationary when the face capturing is done, and then combining that with mo-cap done seperately.

Yeah, I'm with you all the way. The difference between the head motions and the bodies is noticable, but I'm really impressed with the level of detail in the facial animations. This tech just needs time to mature.

OuterSpace said:
According to the videos, trying to determine if NPCs are lying or telling the truth is a major part of the game. A large chunk of it is interrogating witnesses and then choosing whether your character believes them or not based on the way they act.
Lying is also a major part of the publishers trying to sell their games. A large chunk of the game will be very likely about shooting the bad guys in a popamole fashion. Consoletards don't want to interriogate people and ask them question all day long, they want action action and action. That mocap vid is nice to watch but it tells you nothing about the game except "don't you worry guyz, the cutscene graphixx are teh awesome", that doesn't stop those consoletards from preordering the game anyway.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I have a feeling that the amount of choice and consequences involved in sleuthing and catching the crooks in their lies could be nothing more than the system of choices given in GTA4 in regards to who to knock off with minimal branching and in most cases no real difference in plot progression.

Regardless, the technology could prove very useful, they are trying to advance on the field of animation than merely pushing polygons to realize the suspension of disbelief while working with 5 year old hardware limitations, and could have more cinematic dividends than anything the dialog wheel aims to achieve.

OuterSpace

Scholar
Pegultagol said:
I have a feeling that the amount of choice and consequences involved in sleuthing and catching the crooks in their lies could be nothing more than the system of choices given in GTA4 in regards to who to knock off with minimal branching and in most cases no real difference in plot progression.

In a sense, there is even less consequence. The game allegedly plays out more like a point and click adventure game. You investigate crime scenes and interactively interrogate people. Your choices can lead you down the wrong path which will only prolong the case time and affect the grade you receive after each mission. the grading thing seems kind of inappropriate.

Its being developed by a different studio, and was picked up by Rockstar after it was dropped by Sony. It will be a very different game then GTA4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom