Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Larian is moving away from D&D, no BG3 DLC or BG4

Falksi

Arcane
Warhammer or Shadowrun please Sven. Leave the bear sex behind too.

We really do need a good Warhammer RPG based on old school stuff like The Enemy Within campaign.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Swen_Vincke.png

> Rapes Sarevok, Viconia and Balduran.
> Kills last bits of my enthusiasm for Forgotten Realms.
> Refuses to elaborate.
> Leaves.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter
They said they *might* do it just after release, then never mentioned it again. And they said it when they said they might do DLC as well. So likely dead. I asked Swen on the twits, prolly not gonna reply tho.
Yeah, In that case I doubt it's happening since they've cut ties with WOTC. Doubt we'll even see a definitive edition like they did for the two D:OS games.

BruceVC

Magister
This is disappointing, Larian has confirmed they can deliver a successful BG game and the iconic series has millions of new fans and interest which is the most important outcome of sustainability of an IP like BG, gamers must love it and be prepared to pay for it

But I would be very happy with another D:OS from Larian and there are other competent and experienced development companies out there so Im sure we will see another BG4 from another company who wants to take on this project if you consider how financially successful BG3 sales have been

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
  • Larian CEO Sven Wincke firmly stated that Baldur's Gate 3 is fully over, and the company's moving on to its own thing.
Baldur's Gate 3 is fully done, says Larian, and no DLC or sequel are in the works.
At GDC 2024, CEO Swen Vincke broke the news during his panel on the fantasy-RPG and the process of its development. "We're not going to make new expansions, which everyone is expecting us to do," he stated. "We're not going to make Baldur's Gate 4...we're going to move on."
He said it at GDC, of all places, because the studio's been "bombarded" with questions about continuing the hit title. Its next project is going to be "something new," which he was naturally secretive about.
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/busin...-gate-3-no-sequel-or-expansion-in-development

Gandalf

Arbiter
Knowing Larian the next game is probably going to be a fantasy game. They did L.E.D. wars in the past, but I doubt they will revive it.

Lambach

Arcane
  • Larian CEO Sven Wincke firmly stated that Baldur's Gate 3 is fully over, and the company's moving on to its own thing.
Baldur's Gate 3 is fully done, says Larian, and no DLC or sequel are in the works.
At GDC 2024, CEO Swen Vincke broke the news during his panel on the fantasy-RPG and the process of its development. "We're not going to make new expansions, which everyone is expecting us to do," he stated. "We're not going to make Baldur's Gate 4...we're going to move on."
He said it at GDC, of all places, because the studio's been "bombarded" with questions about continuing the hit title. Its next project is going to be "something new," which he was naturally secretive about.
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/busin...-gate-3-no-sequel-or-expansion-in-development

Not wanting to milk an existing insanely successful cash cow for all she's worth through minimum effort?

I can't tell if this is admirable or just pants-on-head retarded.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Not wanting to milk an existing insanely successful cash cow for all she's worth through minimum effort?

For some money isn't the most important thing.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Indeed. Sometimes it's better to just chase dreams.

Next Larian game will be Bear Dating visual novel :love:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No DLC is whatever, but for a company lead that talks so much about being in it for the games and the community (which I actually believe he believes), it's kind of weird he doesn't mention mod tools at all. If BG3 is to live on as more than the sensation of 2023, that's what it really needs.
Seems likely entitled modders scared them away. :P
https://twitter.com/Cromwelp/status/1761873822314098738
We’ll be talking in depth about what our mod support will look like soon. Been working on it since launch. As always, we’ll discuss it in our way with our community. Threats & toxicity against our devs & community teams will only harm the conversation. Please stop that.

This is a game that went from ~2 mil players to way over 10 in a very short space of time, so it’s natural the conversation becomes muddier and complex. But in order to maintain the same level of dialogue, we need people to understand that these conversations take time.

We can’t do it at all without the dedicated community teams that work to untangle a giant web of noise into something we can work with for the benefit of everyone. If you truly want to know things about the game, please don’t chip away at the people who connect us all.

99.9% of our community are the absolute best and it’s because of them - thankfully - that my community team persevere. But I suppose it was inevitable that when you have a city, a few bad eggs will start a fire.

Until then, BG3 does not yet have mod support. Don’t get angry at mod authors, support teams, community or developers. Our focus is to patch the game while working on future mod support. I understand why it’s frustrating, so what we all need to do is focus on that future.

Next week I’ll have a discussion about community moderation with our comms teams and restate our desire for continued closeness with our communities & updates based on when and what we can say. But we are working too hard for this to proliferate

To finish, again, we can only be close if we can work close. If we cannot do that, and we have to draw distance, it’ll really suck for everyone, especially us & definitely you. Please help us to work for the greater good of the millions of people who are involved & chill.

Mod support means modder drama. Who needs that?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Unusually ballsy move from Sven and Larian here, since WOTC on their side has been extremely gracious and full of praises for Larian.
Publicly. Probably to wash their monetary demands behind the scenes? That's where my intuition takes me, copyright holder making demands.
Swen has spoken in the past what a dream of his it is to make a D&D game, and also how glad he is they went "indie" and stopped working with demanding publishers. 1+1=

Stoned Ape

Savant
> Rapes Sarevok, Viconia and Balduran.
> Kills last bits of my enthusiasm for Forgotten Realms.
> Refuses to elaborate.
> Leaves.
Sarevok and Viconia were already raped to death by Hasbro WOTC, Sven only fucked their reanimated corpses.

The Balduran thing is another matter though. It doesn't even make sense in the timeline, and how the fuck did a dragon have the psychic power to overrule the commands of an Elder Brain, either? Utter BS.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

You’ll take Sven’s halfwit degeneracy from his cold, dead hands.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
No DLC is whatever, but for a company lead that talks so much about being in it for the games and the community (which I actually believe he believes), it's kind of weird he doesn't mention mod tools at all. If BG3 is to live on as more than the sensation of 2023, that's what it really needs.

Yeah, as with Solasta, the setting and rules are going to be conducive to homebrewed adventures by modders.

The game is being modded right now, with the Script Extender having opened up more possibilities in terms of new classes, etc., to tinker with, but I think modders being able to create their own characters and build their own instances and areas would give the game a bit of added longevity.

9ted6

Educated
On the one hand, I admire Swen for what he said there and for sticking to his guns re. not exploiting the BG3 success in a predictable way. On the other hand, I prefer the FR as a setting to their own Divinity IP :(

I think ultimately, the 5e ruleset cramped Larian's style too much. It's kind of ironic, and a bit sad, that Larian won the big prize of doing a BG game, but the mechanics they were stuck with are unsuited to big, spectacular combat of the kind they prefer.
Even a Belgian-developed RPG campaign setting can't be as bad as Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms:

Ed-Greenwood-Forgotten-Realms-worst-campaign-setting.webp
I would ask why something as autistic a magic realm as Forgotten Realms was ever so popular in the first place, but this is a thread about a shitty game with elf cuckolding and magic bear sex that became the most popular RPG since Skyrim, and I remember that making sense isn't a requirement for anything anymore.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yep. And this was pre Woke WoTC. Is just a guess but I believe that the insane amount of ch 3 bugs and poor performance was thanks to them demanding Larian to hire incompetent diversity hires, as well the wokization of character creation.
I have a feeling that a lot of the gay/tranny shit in BG3 was WotC mandated. Larian is somewhat woke already, but BG3 was over the top gay. The only reason that amount of gay didn't really kill sales is because it was "Baldur's Gate", in my opinion. I'm pretty sure there's not a huge demand for that level of faggotry in gaming outside of the itch.io fur fag visual novels. If Larian kept making games under WotC, assuming they're the ones that demanded as much gay representation as there was in BG3, Larian would eventually kill their brand name considering the climate we're currently in where there's a counter culture clash over things like this now.

Yep. And this was pre Woke WoTC. Is just a guess but I believe that the insane amount of ch 3 bugs and poor performance was thanks to them demanding Larian to hire incompetent diversity hires, as well the wokization of character creation.
I have a feeling that a lot of the gay/tranny shit in BG3 was WotC mandated. Larian is somewhat woke already, but BG3 was over the top gay. The only reason that amount of gay didn't really kill sales is because it was "Baldur's Gate", in my opinion. I'm pretty sure there's not a huge demand for that level of faggotry in gaming outside of the itch.io fur fag visual novels. If Larian kept making games under WotC, assuming they're the ones that demanded as much gay representation as there was in BG3, Larian would eventually kill their brand name considering the climate we're currently in where there's a counter culture clash over things like this now.
Thankfully, there's mods to fix that.

DnD 5E is quite bad, so I'd glad Larian is moving away from that.
Which would be a solid take if we were ACTUALLY considering better alternatives and 5th edition didn’t surpass their own ruleset and setting in almost every conceivable way.

Also worth noting that most of what worked poorly (or at least “so-so”) about BG3 came directly from them and not the source material.

Hagashager

Educated
Honestly based, I can genuinely respect that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom