Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Larian opens new office in Quebec, has two new RPGs in development based on the Original Sin engine

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
:updatedmytxt:

Thanks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh, no. The people want a new IP. They can't live on Divinity forever.

'Want' is a tad too forgiving. They 'need' a new IP.

Does anyone know if Rivellon is well known and liked outside of their forums or even in there?
The wiki entry for Rivellon is completely empty (http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Rivellon), so I'm guessing not very well-liked.

Eh, lore entries on these semi-abandoned gaming wikis are usually like that.

I doubt Rivellon as a specific setting is super-popular but the concept of Divinity itself - a non-descript yet whimsical fantasy world - might be something people are attached to.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Ah yes. The word I was looking for was 'cringeworthy'. Thanks.

Athelas

Arcane
Uh, no. The people want a new IP. They can't live on Divinity forever.

'Want' is a tad too forgiving. They 'need' a new IP.

Does anyone know if Rivellon is well known and liked outside of their forums or even in there?
The wiki entry for Rivellon is completely empty (http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Rivellon), so I'm guessing not very well-liked.

Eh, lore entries on these semi-abandoned gaming wikis are usually like that.
I wouldn't describe a wiki where they post the changelog of every D:OS update as semi-abandoned.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
That would imply that *somewhere* there exists a wiki with a detailed Rivellon entry as that would mean at least one person is committed enough to make one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh, anyway, a good analogy might be the setting of the Gothic games. Does anybody care much about it? Doesn't seem like it.

But still, the word "Gothic" implies certain things about the world of the game that people seem to like.

It's a Euro thing.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Thanks for making my point.

This only means that the Divinity franchise can be safely rebooted without caring about the setting. Just like Risen was borne off Gothic. Who cares what the setting of Gothic was anyway? It was a really good Open world simulator with good combat and that was what was carried over into new franchise.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Thanks for making my point.

This only means that the Divinity franchise can be safely rebooted without caring about the setting. Just like Risen was borne off Gothic.

I'm not sure that everybody would agree with you about the success of that transition, but yeah, maybe.

But if they're simply going to create ANOTHER setting that nobody cares about, then one might ask what the point is

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
2 games is kinda reasonable as Infinitron pointed out.
One to continue with Rivellon (fast and easy to put together in the preproduction stages) and one where they try something new, maybe this time no fantasy setting (and no postapoc or steampunk too please, why not sth set in the present or maybe ancient rome or whatever?).

Only thing I'm taking from this is that Swen is the broes bro evar, is aware that not everything is great about D:OS and what fell flat and that maybe next year when they are done patching late game I'll give it another go and see if I'll play through it this time. Still a great CRPG, it's normal for me to abandon games midway through.

His heart definitely is in the right place. Trying to mimic pen&paper instead of interactive movies as a design goal is very incline, most devs are too dense to get that ... or better they are just doing what casuals want them to ... fckin whores :argh:.
Wish them luck and a successful new year... Why the hell don't we have a Swen developer mug? :rpgcodex:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
As much as i dislike Larian's writing, i think it would fit with a modern/scifi setting with a snarky anti-hero main character. Just look at uncharted, its mediocre pop-corn writing, but you cant help but like Drake and his adventures.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't see why they can't make Divinity games without setting it in Rivellon.

It would be like having a d&d game not set in the Forgotten Realms. The game series doesn't need to be the setting series.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I don't see why they can't make Divinity games without setting it in Rivellon.

It would be like having a d&d game not set in the Forgotten Realms. The game series doesn't need to be the setting series.
So you're saying that the next Divinity game will be a D&D game set in the Forgotten Realms?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The solution is simple. Hire MCA and Ziets.
ziets got hitched by inxile, which hopefully means he'll have a lead position in one of their next games.
MCA is stuck in a well-paid business role at obsidian.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I doubt anyone here could recite much in the way of Divinity/Rivellon lore without consulting a wiki. I'm sure the most people could recall off the tops of their head is Arfu and the Elminster ripoff, Zandasdfazasdaaa or whoever. It's uninteresting and unmemorable. Hell it hasn't been a year since I played D:OS and I couldn't tell you much about the central plot. Sure it had wacky characters like Madora (HAIL COMRADE) but... I had no idea what was going on half the time.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Hire Yasumi Matsuno and have him write a Tactics Ogre type setting, political intrigue with countries/empires at war with each other.

throwaway

Cipher
Uh, anyway, a good analogy might be the setting of the Gothic games. Does anybody care much about it? Doesn't seem like it.
The old English World of Gothic sure seemed to care, unsurprisingly I guess. The is the Undead Dragon of G2 Sleeper and Chromanin nonsense has been spilled over to more than a few communities. Even now the shittiness of Risen is partly attributed to how weaker the world is to the Gothic mythos, and specifically the Khorinis setting. No clue what the perception of the rest of the codex is but mine is that the attachment to Divinity's setting is significantly weaker.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gothic had an okay 'universe' that somewhat 'depreciated' the bigger the world got (Gothic 3). Of course that's true for a lot of fiction: the tighter/more contained your narrative is the more in-depth you can get without worrying about the meta-universe.

:Flash:

Arcane
Rivellon never had/was "lore" it was just a metaphor for "we throw in whatever comes to our mind at any point in time".
Divine Divinity was classic humans/elves/dwarves. Then they threw in parallel planes in Beyond Divinity. Dragon Knights in Div 2. Steampunk in Dragon Commander and kinda everything in D:OS.

At one point during the development of Divine Divinity they hired a German forum member as a writer and presented him as a "published Fantasy author". After the release of the game, someone from the forum actually bought his book. Turns out the publisher was himself and the guy who bought the book quoted from cringeworthy fan-fiction stuff to great amusement of the community.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If you want quality humor in europe, england is probably the only place you can find it in a form that can be apreaciated by multiple nationalities and cultures.

Larian cant write wity fantasy comedy if their life depended on it, rivellon is drivel of the worse kind.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No wonder all the good stuff came from Rhianna Pratchett who isn't even a particularly good writer.

Visperas

Augur
I'm not the biggest fan of the Divinity setting but how many comedic/humourous rpg settings do we have? I'm perfectly fine with them doing another Divinty game with all the silliness. I just hope that they do something different for their second game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom