Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Last Train Home - survival strategy game about Czechoslovak soldiers escaping post-WW1 Russia on an armored train

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The demo is surprisingly long, I thought it would be over after the moscow doublecross.

Game seems okay but I'm getting absolute garbage performance.

Also the inclusion of womyn soldiers bothers me here more than usual. Why do people do this? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for pepik women to be part of the crew, even as medics, and definitely not as riflemen doing bayonet charges, and don't even get me started on engineers shoveling coal into the engine.

thesecret1

Arcane
Also the inclusion of womyn soldiers bothers me here more than usual. Why do people do this? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for pepik women to be part of the crew, even as medics, and definitely not as riflemen doing bayonet charges, and don't even get me started on engineers shoveling coal into the engine.
Holy shit, that's there? Damn. That's retarded. It's not even "plausible" in some kiked way, it's just flat out wrong.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In a world of post-World War I turmoil, the Czechoslovak Legionaries, determined to return to their newly formed republic, confront a formidable struggle for survival. Aid them to manage their armored train and keep them moving forward to their beloved homeland. Prepare for an epic odyssey!

Last Train Home, a survival strategy game inspired by real historical events, is coming to PC on November 28.

thesecret1

Arcane

In a world of post-World War I turmoil, the Czechoslovak Legionaries, determined to return to their newly formed republic, confront a formidable struggle for survival. Aid them to manage their armored train and keep them moving forward to their beloved homeland. Prepare for an epic odyssey!

Last Train Home, a survival strategy game inspired by real historical events, is coming to PC on November 28.

Wait what? That's not what happened. Legionaries fought the Reds to gather goodwill with western powers and boost the odds that Czechoslovakia gets independence from Austria-Hungary once WW1 is over. When they learned independence was achieved, they lost the reason to continue fighting and struck a deal with the Reds to be granted safe passage home.

EDIT: Oh it's meant to be set AFTER WW1 ended, in the period between the formation of Czechoslovakia and them getting GTFO? Strange choice of a timeframe, but fair I guess

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
TBH fam, I do wish they would use the money spent on these life action trailers on stuff like being able to change stance of your soldiers or carry bodies of dead enemies (since there is a heavy emphasis on stealth).

Also wtf, captain Langer is a doctor? He was presented as a normal officer in the demo. Would be kinda lulzy if they recycled the main actor to play a random doctor dude for the trailer even though he otherwise plays the protagonist´s mentor.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
TBH fam, I do wish they would use the money spent on these life action trailers on stuff like being able to change stance of your soldiers or carry bodies of dead enemies (since there is a heavy emphasis on stealth).
That's not how software development works. You can't just turn money into features; you turn money into development time, and development time into features. If they want to add more stuff to the game now, they'd have to delay it.

If you have extra money early enough you can hire extra devs, but that trailer doesn't look expensive enough for that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In the epic struggle for survival, armed with priceless skills, your soldiers navigate dangerous battlegrounds and the roaring armored train. Every one of them is irreplaceable. How many shall prevail and return to their cherished homeland?

Ryzer

Arcane
Ah yes, the traitorous Czechoslovak Legion, not only did they sell Kolchak out, stole everything that wasn't nailed to the floor (from their nominal allies) but they also actively sabotaged the retreat of the Polish 5th Siberian Rifle Division. Among other things Czechs deliberately blocked the tracks with frozen locomotives at the Klukviennaya station near Krasnoyarsk. This immobilised the whole railroad and the Poles had to lay down their weapons, over 10.000 people were captured, almost HALF of them later died in Soviet camps. Of course there were other convoys on these tracks, as it was an almost constant stream of trains fleeing from the occupied part of Russia. Can't wait to see all these tidbits not be included in the game's narrative.
Fuck, I didn't know czechs were so based.
Thank you for selling the game.

Glory to Ukraine
TBH fam the game doesnt let you be properly based. If you listen to butthurt rusniggerians, they will tell you to this date that the legion massacred whole villages and condemned fuckload of other rusniggers to death by cold and starvation by taking all their shit along the way. Instead in the game you are forced to constantly protect random villagers from commies.

Glory to Ukraine
Welp, finnished the demo, took me almost 6 hours, which is p. gud playtime for a demo.

In general, I would characterise the game as a low budget DoWII with added survival and management mechanics. The management and survival parts are p. decent, the tactical part is barely OK with some poor design decisions/omissions that drag it down - quite needlesly I have to say.

overworld map.jpg

The whole point of the game is to drive your train across the rusniggeria to reach the pacific shores. Your train can have multiple types of carriages (artilery, barracks, kitchen, hospital, workshop etc) which can also be upgraded. There are multiple types of resources, the most important being coal, which serves as fuel for the train and for heating (which becomes necessary once winter comes), you also need food for your troops, other resources are needed for upgrades and crafting.

There are various points of interest across the map that you can send your troops to for various interactions (hunting, trading, scavenging etc) and sometimes tactical missions.

trading.jpg

In general, I got no complaints about this part of the game. It is somewhat similar to This War of Mine in some aspects, decent survival stuff and train simulator.

All the soldiers (of which you can have several dozens), are characters with some background and stats. The RPG elements consist of stats (usual fare like INT, DEX and such) and roles (both combat such as rifleman/sniper etc, and noncombat such as engineer/worker etc). You need to have some people assigned to operate the train in various capacities, while others might be made part of squads that can be send out on missions. Its nothing special, but it works.

progression.jpg

squad setup.jpg

The tactical missions are RTwP. Much like in DoW2 the stealth is usually better option than actual combat. Characters can be switched into stealth mode in which they do not fire unless fired upon and make melee kills, if they can sneak up on enemies. Enemies have Commandos style vision cones, they should register sounds too, but I didnt notice that much. You cannot change stances, which sux, what sux even more is that you cant carry/hide bodies. Enemies can and do notice corpses, but for some reason they do not raise alarm when they see them (baaaad!). Enemies can raise alarm by ringing bells (which can be sabotaged).

stealth.jpg

Combat itself is of CoH/DoW variety - soldiers can take cover behind light or hard cover and get special abilities depending on their role (grenadiers can throw grenades and place mines, machinegunners can cover a sector, riflemen can make a bayonet charge etc). There are heavy weapons such as Maxim HMGs that can be taken over, there are even various vehicles that can be used (though enemy has them too), including trucks, armored cars and tanks. Again, serviceable, but dont expect to be blown away.

The game is "based on historical events" rather than historical, so yeah, there are stronk wahmin (though in the demo they are all medics, which aint that bad...). At the end of the demo it is implied that you can interact with both Whites and Reds and perhaps some choices will be there to make, though the part showed in the demo has no moral ambiguity whatsoever - you have to be a goody twoshoes who always helps out the local people agaisnt evil commies... w/e I guess.

Anyway, from what I have seen I would say this is 7/10 gaym at best. Unless you are interested in the subject matter, you can find better things to play for sure. I will still get it to support the domestic industry, but it really aint as good as it could have been.

Last edited:

Ultrodius

Barely Literate
EN: Last Train home is a game that absolutely hooked me. That's why I started streaming it as a demo, created a community bilingual FB page Last Train Home - Community and put videos on YouTube. I created this thread here so we can put all our videos and any fan art in one place.

CZ: Last Train home je hra, která si mě absolutně získala. Proto jsem ji začal streamovat už jako demo, vytvořil jsem komunitní dvoujazyčnou stránku na FB Last Train Home - Community a dávám videa na Youtube. Tady jsem vytvořil tohle vlákno, abysme mohli všechna naše videa a případný fan art dávat na jedno místo.

Video Highights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXCr3ZEJoz4
Facebook community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/lasttrainhomegame

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
EN: Last Train home is a game that absolutely hooked me. That's why I started streaming it as a demo, created a community bilingual FB page Last Train Home - Community and put videos on YouTube. I created this thread here so we can put all our videos and any fan art in one place.

CZ: Last Train home je hra, která si mě absolutně získala. Proto jsem ji začal streamovat už jako demo, vytvořil jsem komunitní dvoujazyčnou stránku na FB Last Train Home - Community a dávám videa na Youtube. Tady jsem vytvořil tohle vlákno, abysme mohli všechna naše videa a případný fan art dávat na jedno místo.

Video Highights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXCr3ZEJoz4
Facebook community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/lasttrainhomegame
Ahoj

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
there are stronk wahmin (though in the demo they are all medics, which aint that bad...).

At the end of the mission in Moscow you get a few freebie soldiers and one of them is a womyn rifleman.

whaddup pepik

Gerrard

Arcane
there are stronk wahmin (though in the demo they are all medics, which aint that bad...).

At the end of the mission in Moscow you get a few freebie soldiers and one of them is a womyn rifleman.
When they level up you can distribute stats and unlock any class you want for any soldier anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Lead your soldiers through the unforgiving Siberian wilderness onboard an armored train. Unleash its true power by enhancing both the carriages and locomotive, ensuring its peak performance and durability. Take charge of vital maintenance to keep it roaring. Without your train, all hope fades, and the suffering and loss of all those under your command will have been in vain.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Immerse yourself in Last Train Home, a survival strategy game inspired by the heroic tale of the Czechoslovak Legionaries. In your quest to reach Vladivostok, the following challenges await:

Roam through war-torn cities and the vast Siberian countryside.
Send out squads from the train to scavenge along the Trans-Siberian Railway.
Lead your soldiers in intense, real-time tactical battles.
Unlock new skills for your troops.
Skillfully manage and upgrade your train.
Gather and trade essential supplies.

Are you up for the task? Last Train Home is coming to PC on November 28!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game is fun so far, it's just more of the demo if you played that, with some added mechanics. One is that now I'm being actively hunted by the Reds, so I can't pause for too long. There is a % bar going up while you wait. Don't like the amount of women I'm getting for combat roles though. Not sure why they had to go down that route. One or two nurses, but fighting women? Hmmmpf. Only lost 2 men, both to stationary guns. Enemy inf don't seem that dangerous, but emplaced machineguns and gun trucks cut down men fast. So you need to go full commando mode taking them out. Overall, good time so far, I'm closing in on chapter 3, and apparently there is 9 chapter. It's big in other words.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can you change history?
There are choices and consequences (I assume). But I don't think you can side with the Reds.
I mean,can you turn the tide of the war in favour of the whites? Do you meet chad Wrangel ???
Do not know yet, and nope, not yet. Still plenty of time though, think I'm in chapter 3. I highly recommend playing this as "honest man" if not something too bullshitty happens. When you get the hang of things, it becomes kinda easy. I'm not swimming in resources, but morale has been constantly high. The narrative makes it sound like this train ride is pure suffering, but it does not match my experience at all. These guys have it pretty damn comfy if I say so myself. Anyway, take the casualties where you get them, to experience some challenges.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom