Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Latest Mass Effect Book Sucks, Makes Good Fire Fuel

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Don't try to make biological sense of a species that only exists to be fap material for geeks. :D The Asari are perhaps the dumbest element in the entire mass effect franchise, and it's not like there isn't harsh competition for that title.
Asari as fap material? They're propably the most boring and asexual bunch of alien lesbians in space- opera history. But this whole asari gender & sex idea would be OK, if they made them a 100% non- human race, some insectoids or shit like that.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
And yet the biodrones are happily fapping away to Liara and the others ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
03.jpg

(Of course, the Syreen actually had males, but they were the subordinate sex + most of them were genocided, so they were rarely seen.)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
But this book wasn't written by Karpyshyn. It was written by a dirty outsider! The Biofans are SCREAMING that all books from now on be written by him and ONLY him because HE'S THE MAN when it comes to the MOST IMPORTANT SCIENCE FICTION UNIVERSE OF ALL TIMES.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
This is almost like if someone had written a book about Plan 9 from Outer Space and its "loyal fans" bitched on how the book didn't respect the original movie lore.

Those people actually think ME is "the next big sci-fi franchise after Star Wars". At this point I don't think it's possible for them to get back to reality somehow.

Grimlorn

Arcane
This is almost like if someone had written a book about Plan 9 from Outer Space and its "loyal fans" bitched on how the book didn't respect the original movie lore.

Those people actually think ME is "the next big sci-fi franchise after Star Wars". At this point I don't think it's possible for them to get back to reality somehow.
No they think it's better than Star Wars.

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
Everything to do with this is stupid and meaningless. God people are pitiful

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Mass Effect always struck me as "something we make after losing our Star Wars license". Too lazy to look up whether that actually happened at the time.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Don't try to make biological sense of a species that only exists to be fap material for geeks. :D The Asari are perhaps the dumbest element in the entire mass effect franchise, and it's not like there isn't harsh competition for that title.
Asari as fap material? They're propably the most boring and asexual bunch of alien lesbians in space- opera history. But this whole asari gender & sex idea would be OK, if they made them a 100% non- human race, some insectoids or shit like that.

The most comical aspect of the Asari is that you have feminists and lesbians who idolize them even though they were clearly designed as wank material for male geeks.

Corvinus

Arcane
The most comical aspect of the Asari is that you have feminists and lesbians who idolize them even though they were clearly designed as wank material for male geeks.

I don't think we should accuse these people for being especially cerebral now, should we?

In other news, reading this thread made me think (yes, really). If I have understood this correctly, It seems that the Mass Effect universe is pretty much a big ripoff, consisting almost entirely of copy/pasted elements from other sci-fi games and so on (just like the fantasy elements WoW's got). Further, it is packaged in a graphically pleasing and easily digestible manner (lots and lots of clichés, but almost no "new" content/concepts) and is promoted through a torrent of self-praising commercials. Not to mention the 10/10 reviews the games get from the critics, who act like the nobel prize jury when they gave Barack Obama the peace prize before he had a chance to do anything peaceful (if you recall that one).

Anyhow, I think that a good game (rpg, but I don't know if one should call the ME games rpgs, they play more like adventure/drama-type games to me) would lack most of the "qualities" I've written down so far. Nothing wrong with a game being nice to look at, though, but I'd say that the contents of a game would be more important, yes? It seems that these days, most (big) RPGs are very pretty, but void of any interesting content and meaningful choices. Reminds me of bimbos.

My point is that as long as the package is pretty, and the hype is overwhelming, it doesn't matter if you've got nothing else stuffed in there. The game will sell still, and sell great. In fact, it is likely to be remembered as a truly great game, a classic.
And that makes me sad.

attackfighter

Magister

I don't think we should accuse these people for being especially cerebral now, should we?

In other news, reading this thread made me think (yes, really). If I have understood this correctly, It seems that the Mass Effect universe is pretty much a big ripoff, consisting almost entirely of copy/pasted elements from other sci-fi games and so on (just like the fantasy elements WoW's got). Further, it is packaged in a graphically pleasing and easily digestible manner (lots and lots of clichés, but almost no "new" content/concepts) and is promoted through a torrent of self-praising commercials. Not to mention the 10/10 reviews the games get from the critics, who act like the nobel prize jury when they gave Barack Obama the peace prize before he had a chance to do anything peaceful (if you recall that one).

Anyhow, I think that a good game (rpg, but I don't know if one should call the ME games rpgs, they play more like adventure/drama-type games to me) would lack most of the "qualities" I've written down so far. Nothing wrong with a game being nice to look at, though, but I'd say that the contents of a game would be more important, yes? It seems that these days, most (big) RPGs are very pretty, but void of any interesting content and meaningful choices. Reminds me of bimbos.

My point is that as long as the package is pretty, and the hype is overwhelming, it doesn't matter if you've got nothing else stuffed in there. The game will sell still, and sell great. In fact, it is likely to be remembered as a truly great game, a classic.
And that makes me sad.

And what new content did Bloodlines or Arcanum (to list a couple codex favourites) add to their genres? One was a spin-off of an existing IP, the other was generic steampunk mixed with fantasy, both are generally regarded as awesome RPG's. Also ME did have meaningful choices, so you're wrong on that account. Interesting content is subjective. And that's all the criticism you can muster, all of it debunked. How sad.

Shihonage said:
Mass Effect always struck me as "something we make after losing our Star Wars license". Too lazy to look up whether that actually happened at the time.

Probably, but there's nothing wrong with that. And anyways ME is a lot different in tone than StarWars - it's more similar to Star Trek if anything (at least the first game was).

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
And that makes me sad.

Shovelware books based on blockbuster video game franchise, bought in tons by biotards. That's sad.

I love the beginning of that Amazon review defending the book;

"This book is far from perfect, but take this from the biggest Mass Effect fan you'll find: The errors in this book by an author *new* to the series and universe are *not* inhibitive to the enjoyment of the novel, nor to the contribution to the Mass Effect universe."

Oh he's new. Well by all means let's give him time for another five or so books to get acclimated.

Corvinus

Arcane
And what new content did Bloodlines or Arcanum (to list a couple codex favourites) add to their genres? One was a spin-off of an existing IP, the other was generic steampunk mixed with fantasy, both are generally regarded as awesome RPG's. Also ME did have meaningful choices, so you're wrong on that account. Interesting content is subjective. And that's all the criticism you can muster, all of it debunked. How sad.

I think you're missing my point a little, attackfighter.
Sure, alot of the *better* games (subjective is the word here, as you wrote) RPGs might not be all that original, as you've written, and I'd say that both Mass Effect games had their share of meaningful choices. I've played them, and thought they were enjoyable for what they were.

However, the obvious rip-offs, the hype, and the lack of meaningful choices (in a wider sense; for example, the story will play out pretty much the same whatever you do. There are no real "twists" or turning points, such as siding with the reapers, et cetera. One could of course argue that even Shepard would consider such collar-grabbing moves to be too EXTREME, but I think that such things really are essential) break it for me.

I'll repeat my main point:
As long as the package is pretty, and the hype is overwhelming, it doesn't matter if you've got nothing else stuffed in there. The game will sell still, and sell great. In fact, it is likely to be remembered as a truly great game, a classic.

The main problem, as I see it, is that too few hunger for realistic and well-written choices and consequences in a game. Most lust for good looks, the ability to play through a game without any real difficulty (the old games didn't guarantee this, I tell you that), and of course, drama. If a game's got those qualities, and levels, they slap on a sticker that says "RPG" and call it a day. That's not a rpg (at least not a good one) in my book.

Anyways, more to the subject of this thread, I feel that books set in the fictional universe of a computer game have a tendency to be poorly written, inconsistent with with established canon, and exists only to suck money from those who fancy the game.

It seems that this book fits that bill exactly. Utter crap.

Finally, I have a question to ask you fine codexians.
Why does ME attract the subhuman and xeno-curious? The lovley "art" provided by the esteemed sgc_meltdown in the Best Thread Ever is the terror of hell. Please elaborate!

:troll:

attackfighter

Magister

I think you're missing my point a little, attackfighter.
Sure, alot of the *better* games (subjective is the word here, as you wrote) RPGs might not be all that original, as you've written, and I'd say that both Mass Effect games had their share of meaningful choices. I've played them, and thought they were enjoyable for what they were.

However, the obvious rip-offs, the hype, and the lack of meaningful choices (in a wider sense; for example, the story will play out pretty much the same whatever you do. There are no real "twists" or turning points, such as siding with the reapers, et cetera. One could of course argue that even Shepard would consider such collar-grabbing moves to be too EXTREME, but I think that such things really are essential) break it for me.

I'll repeat my main point:
As long as the package is pretty, and the hype is overwhelming, it doesn't matter if you've got nothing else stuffed in there. The game will sell still, and sell great. In fact, it is likely to be remembered as a truly great game, a classic.

The main problem, as I see it, is that too few hunger for realistic and well-written choices and consequences in a game. Most lust for good looks, the ability to play through a game without any real difficulty (the old games didn't guarantee this, I tell you that), and of course, drama. If a game's got those qualities, and levels, they slap on a sticker that says "RPG" and call it a day. That's not a rpg (at least not a good one) in my book.

Anyways, more to the subject of this thread, I feel that books set in the fictional universe of a computer game have a tendency to be poorly written, inconsistent with with established canon, and exists only to suck money from those who fancy the game.

It seems that this book fits that bill exactly. Utter crap.

Finally, I have a question to ask you fine codexians.
Why does ME attract the subhuman and xeno-curious? The lovley "art" provided by the esteemed sgc_meltdown in the Best Thread Ever is the terror of hell. Please elaborate!

:troll:

How the fuck did I miss a point? You made bullshit claims, I responded to them, end of line.

Also all of this:

the obvious rip-offs, the hype, and the lack of meaningful choices

applies to almost every popular RPG ever, regardless of whether it's Ass Effect or Fagout.

Who woulda thunk RPG Codex could have double standards?

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
In ME3 you will have to collect 35 of these to lure Kai Lang out of hiding for an epic final QTE battle while your space waifu looks on (SOFT FOCUS XTREME FILTER) and cherry blossom petals flow around her in the wind.

robots_cereal.jpg

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Priestly the Hutt posted this.

Mass Effect fans have been asking for a comment on recent concerns over Mass Effect: Deception. We have been listening and have the below response on the issue.

The teams at Del Rey and BioWare would like to extend our sincerest apologies to the Mass Effect fans for any errors and oversights made in the recent novel Mass Effect: Deception. We are currently working on a number of changes that will appear in future editions of the novel.

We would like to thank all Mass Effect fans for their passion and dedication to this ever-growing world, and assure them that we are listening and taking this matter very seriously.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9150901/1

I call bullshit on "future revised editions".

kris

Arcane

We are at a point in time were pretty much anything is unoriginal. So many stories have been told and so many stories are readily available. TV series go through every possible plot imaginable, hell just see the south park episode "the simpson did it!" Only thing that is true is that someone can make some fresh takes on stories and plots.

Personally I always saw Mass effect more as a pretty good tribute to B-movies, but clearly their lunatic (ME) fanbase don't see eye to eye with me. What the writers really felt? What do I know?

Project: Eternity
Shepard gets nearly killed in a fatal accident, but is pieced together in a superior augmented form, even though he never asked for this.

Wait a minute.
Not "nearly killed". Shepard crash lands on a planet and gets rebuilt from DNA scraped off the surface.

He/she asphyxiated in orbit and was circling a planet freeze-dried in vacuum all that time. They just sort of "rehydrate" him. INSTANT EXTREMENESS JUST ADD WATER!!!11

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wait, Shepard was revived? On my play-through I fell into the atmosphere of a planet and fucking burned to a cinder. Game over. I shut it off afterwards. Now you're telling me there's more to it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom