Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Let's conquer Europe for the 4 years-old Franz Ferdinand in Computer Diplomacy

ValeVelKal

Arcane
CompDip1.jpg

As some of you know, I have this blog where I play all computer wargames in relative chronological order.
I reached 1984 and the first computer port of Diplomacy, creatively called "Computer Diplomacy".

There is a catch though...
... there is no "Diplomacy" in "Computer Diplomacy", because the computer does not do any diplomacy (or communication) with the players, so when you are playing solitaire that's you against them (though of course they also fight one another).

So after the success of some of my earlier "interactive" AAR here, I will try something new... Democratic Diplomacy!

Given we don't need to bother ourselves with Diplomacy, each turn I will apply the movements that gather the most votes, however inconsistent it is! Convoy an army to Algeria? Open with the occupation of Finland? Backstab Germany while supporting it? The choice is yours!

Hopefully, you know the rules, else just go along and pretend you do!

CompDip2.png

And let' start with the most important decision of all: the choice of the country!

Russia?
France?
Italy?
Turkey?
United Kingdom?
Austria and those weirdos who tag along with them?
Germany?

Your vote!

Also, please note that to make sure it is as chaotic as possible, this thread is being launched on 3 different forums, and I will count the total number of votes. Communication & coordination has never been harder!

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Vote as of now [merging 3 forums]

France: 4.333333
Andnjord/Matnjord (PDX-OT) but multivoted
Argyraspide (ZG)
Strange Fellow (ZG)
Catacombs (Codex)
Hag (Codex)

Italy: 2.333333
Dayyalu (PDX-OT and Codex)
Operative Lyx (PDX-OT)
Andnjord/Matnjord (ZG) but multivoted

Austria: 2.3333333
elektrizikekswerk (PDX-OT)
KarbonKitty (ZG)
Andnjord/Matnjord (Codex) but multivoted

Turkey:2
Premu (PDX-OT)
tindril (Codex)

United Kingdom:1
Avernite (PDX-OT)

Germany: 1
Porkbelly (ZG)

Russia: 0

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Indeed. PDX-OT = Paradox OT and ZG is https://zeitgame.net/forum/
Update:

Austria: 7.3333333
elektrizikekswerk (PDX-OT)
KarbonKitty (ZG)
Andnjord/Matnjord (Codex) but multivoted
Luka_Boy (Codex)
Modron (Codex)
Herbert West (PDX-OT)
Trinitrotoluen (PDX-OT)
Cyan (PDX-OT)

France: 4.333333
Andnjord/Matnjord (PDX-OT) but multivoted
Argyraspide (ZG)
Strange Fellow (ZG)
Catacombs (Codex)
Hag (Codex)

Turkey:3
Premu (PDX-OT)
tindril (Codex)
Blade! (PDX-OT)

Italy: 2.333333
Dayyalu (PDX-OT and Codex)
Operative Lyx (PDX-OT)
Andnjord/Matnjord (ZG) but multivoted

Russia: 2
Ozmono2021 (PDX-OT)
pithorr (PDX-OT)

United Kingdom:1
Avernite (PDX-OT)
Atlanteax (PDX-OT)

Germany: 1
Porkbelly (ZG)

I will probably close the vote tonight, French time!

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Winter 1900

In the winter of 1900, at Vienna's Café Central, Marcello Rossi, an elderly Italian anarchist, was finishing his schnitzel, preparing for a peculiar act of protest. His plan? His plan: to lob a custard pie at Emperor Franz Joseph during the traditional Washing of the Feet ceremony, aiming to strike a blow to the Empire's dignity that it could never recover from.

Meanwhile, a drama unfolded at the same table immediately behind him, Serbian nationalist Luka Petrović, who had a similar, but more explosive plan, was caught off guard when three undercover policemen pounced, detaining him after a brief but fierce tussle. The policemen vanished as quickly as they had appeared, taking Petrović and his package with them. Alas, no one realized that during the struggle, his package had been switched with Rossi's.

Rossi, known affectionately as "Il Vecchio" because he did not see very well, proceeded with what he thought would be a non-lethal statement. As Emperor Franz Joseph appeared, humbly participating in the Washing of the Feet, Rossi hurled the package. The bomb exploded, killing the Emperor.

With Franz Joseph gone, his great-nephew, the four-year-old Franz Ferdinand, was immediately declared the new King & Kaiser. The government, in a state of shock and embarrassment over its failure to protect the Emperor. The young Franz Ferdinand, barely aware of his imperial duties, turned to the people around him – those whose feet had yet to be washed - and appointed them as the new government. Unsure as to whether this was part of the ceremony, the unwashed masses timidly accepted.

As news of the Emperor's demise and the bizarre succession spread, Europe gazed upon Austria with a mix of disbelief and opportunism. The balance of power had been fractured; opportunities to settle old scores had been created.

Spring 1901

20231220000001.png

Well, you know the rules. Hopefully. It is now time to vote for what we'll do.

You can discuss as much as you want, but each of you must vote for the three orders at the same time:

Vote for A VIE:
A VIE - BOH: 1
A VIE - GAL : 4
A VIE - BUD
A VIE - TYR : 3
A VIE - TRI : 6
A VIE S A BUD-GAL:1

And vote for A BUD:
A BUD - GAL : 1
A BUD - VIE
A BUD - TRI : 1
A BUD - SER : 11
A BUD - RUM : 1
A BUD S A VIE-GAL

And vote for F TRI
F TRI - VEN :1
F TRI - ADR : 1
F TRI - ALB : 13

You can also do stuff like A BUD S A [Russia] WAR - GAL, but well, I am not listing those.

I ll update the status (in this thread) over time, and I will probably end the vote in one day. Or sooner. Or later. CHAOS, I tell you.

Voted:
Premu (OT-PDX)
Blade! (OT-PDX)
Trinitrotoluen (OT-PDX)
LouisSteColombe (OT-PDX)
Avernite (OT-PDX)
elektrizkekswerk (OT-PDX)
Herbert West (OT-PDX)
Modron (Codex)
KarbonKitty (ZG)
Luka_Boy (Codex)
Ludumo (Codex)
Hag (Codex)
Operative Lynx (ZG)
Dayyalu (ZG)
Catacombs (Codex)

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Well, you know the rules. Hopefully. It is now time to vote for what we'll do.

Vote for A VIE:
A VIE - BOH
A VIE - GAL : 1
A VIE - BUD
A VIE - TYR
A VIE - TRI
A VIE S A BUD-GAL

And vote for A BUD:
A BUD - GAL
A BUD - VIE
A BUD - TRI
A BUD - SER : 1
A BUD - RUM
A BUD S A VIE-GAL

And vote for F TRI
F TRI - VEN
F TRI - ADR
F TRI - ALB : 1

:what:

Clearly I do not.

(I intend to stick to your own forum, but I just had to use that image somewhere)

Modron

Arcane
Yeah for those of us unfamiliar with the game a brief description of what A, S, and F stand for might help. I assume those +'s are places that can recruit armies.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
For some reason, I was convinced that you of all people would know.

So:

Each country except Russia starts with 3 armies/fleet (the LARGE flags on the map). The objective is to take production centers (the SMALL flags on the map next to the "+"). Each production centre can maintain one army, with creation/destruction every other turn so number of armies/fleets = number of production centers.

We start with 3 control centers: VIE(nna), BUD(apest), TRI(est). VIE and BUD also have A(rmies), and TRI starts with a F(leet).

The list above are the possible commands, with each 3 letters corresponding to a region. The code is:

"-" => Movement/Attack
"S" => Support a movement/attack of an army to an adjacent region, or support defensively an army/fleet
"C" => Convoy, for fleets in the sea to transport troops. Not possible for now.

Of course, "S" and "C" must match "-".

And... that's it for the orders. Orders are resolved at the same time, 1-1 "bounces" (both armies/fleets are returned to your location), whereas 2 vs 1 (thanks to a support) always push back whoever has less support.

There are a few more complications here and there (S and C can be broken by attacking enemies, etc), but you don't need to bother with that now.
----

The big questions for early Austria are
- Does Austria immediately tries to attack Italy (by moving to VENice and hoping that the Italians move away.
- Does Austria leave his North and East open to try to take as many Balkan centers as possible or does it keep an army in defence. In tabletop diplomacy, it all comes down to how the Austrian player "feels" the Russian (and German) players, but of course, no such thing here.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Can an army support a fleet attacking adjacent region, like A Vie S F TRI-VEN?

If not: A VIE - TRI & F TRI - ALB,
A BUD - SER

I figure it can't hurt to position yourself well enough to gobble up those bases in the Balkans since you basically have a 1 zone buffer everywhere besides the border with Venice.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Can an army support a fleet attacking adjacent region, like A Vie S F TRI-VEN?

If not: A VIE - TRI & F TRI - ALB,
A BUD - SER

I figure it can't hurt to position yourself well enough to gobble up those bases in the Balkans since you basically have a 1 zone buffer everywhere besides the border with Venice.
No. For support the rules are:
- You can support defensively only a region next to you [eg A VIE S TRI; whatever TRI is doing besides attacking]
- You can support offensively only toward a region next to you.
Also, Armies can't support toward open seas, nor fleet inland provinces. Coastal provinces can be attacked/supported by both fleets and armies.
Orders registered

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Also, I will explain the next turn resolution in details. It will make the game immediately clear, methink.

Luka-boy

Arcane
A VIE S A BUD-GAL
A BUD - SER
F TRI - ALB

If I understood correctly, everyone wants to see Serbia get fucked :lol:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
A VIE S A BUD-GAL
A BUD - SER
F TRI - ALB

If I understood correctly, everyone wants to see Serbia get fucked :lol:
A VIE supports an offensive that does not happen (according to your orders), but no big deal. Updated the list.

Lucumo

Educated
Not sure whether I understood the somewhat weird explanation right but here I go:

A VIE - TRI (preparing to take SER next turn)
A BUD - RUM (securing RUM as quickly as possible to defend against Turkey going BUL)
F TRI - ALB (followed by it taking GRE next turn, afterwards possibly AEG->SMY)

Goal is to secure the South first and with added production facilities, to defend the North if necessary. Otherwise crush Turkey as quickly as possible.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Going East seems to be the sensible thing to do. Grabbing one side of the map and two corners should make us safe. I would have gone straight to Russia but grabbing some easy land in the Balkans and going for Turkey afterwards is good too.
A BUD - SER
A VIE - GAB (to grab RUM and/or support SER army)
F TRI - ALB

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom