Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's discover X-Com's fate in Superhuman TFTD - Update #52

Thrombone

Educated
Thrombone reporting for the death/rebirth cycle.

Thrombones I - DCCLXXXVI stand ready.

korenzel

Educated
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
By the way, I am going to file a complaint to base command that we aren't using enough explosives. Specially that lovable underwater Auto Cannon.

Err, we haven't been using anything BUT explosives. The Hydro-Jet Cannon is a pretty bad weapon. It has worse accuracy and speed compared to Gas Cannons. It cannot function on land - that means during base attacks too. Its only advantage is auto fire, but two HE hits blow up corpses. Corpses are worth 20k$, I want them intact. Since I fire from behind scouts, it's also very risky to go for an auto shot.

Good news and bad news : the good ? We have plenty of proximity mines. The bad ? Equipment is limited to 80 pieces during base attacks. I'll let you guess whether X-Com picked mines or AP/incendiary ammo.

Sneak peek :

78jQhl.jpg

Zomg

Arbiter
This is an exciting development!

However, for future gayness referense the player can cheese these early base attacks in both X-Com1 and TFTD even on Superhuman by never shooting down enemy ships. That's what triggers base attacks. If you just creep them with the Skyranger and attack them landed you'll never get a base attack, or at least not until comfortably late in the game. Plus more loot and unexploded engines.

Black

Arcane
That's like saving/loading on battlescape- only the pussiest of pussies do it.

Zomg

Arbiter
Hey I qualified it as gay okay

I had always thought I was being clever about only attacking landed ships for the fat loot, didn't find out about the ship attack - base attack connection until like last year :/

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Black said:
That's like saving/loading on battlescape- only the pussiest of pussies do it.

Wait... You can save on the battlescape?

Huh

No wonder I found this game difficult when I was 12.

Zomg said:
Hey I qualified it as gay okay

I had always thought I was being clever about only attacking landed ships for the fat loot, didn't find out about the ship attack - base attack connection until like last year :/

Me too. I'm pretty sure that Xcomutil fixes this bug though. Or maybe it was the other Xcom fixer that I can't remember the name of at the moment.

korenzel

Educated
Zomg said:
However, for future gayness referense the player can cheese these early base attacks in both X-Com1 and TFTD even on Superhuman by never shooting down enemy ships. That's what triggers base attacks. If you just creep them with the Skyranger and attack them landed you'll never get a base attack, or at least not until comfortably late in the game. Plus more loot and unexploded engines.
I try to creep and get subs undamaged too but the Triton is so slow it's unpractical, and you don't get to choose whether you fight at day or night. Still, I only shot one small scout and the aliens sent a battleship to my base.

oscar said:
Sent you a PM but no reply :(

Sign me up!

If you check the current roster, you'll notice you're already in the current squad. I didn't reply to the PM but did read it and added you in update #3.

--------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 4 - Defensive Maneuvers

There are a couple of things that will play in our favor. First, we have proximity mines. Second, we can use Sonic Pulsers.

Alas, we are screwed by the game's equipment allocator. It decided to pick all the ammo for gas cannons we had in stock instead of mines. We have a few pulsers and normal grenades, but nowhere near as many explosives as I hoped.

VNyyG.png

Luscious Pear spots a new alien to the south. A calcinite, deadly in melee but thankfully without any reaction fire capabilities.

oX8mW.png

chzr ended up in a bad spot, right next to the airlock. He throws a grenade armed to explode at the end of the next alien turn, and runs away as far as he can, which isn't far.

ognEQ.png

A Sonic Pulser deals with the calcinite that somehow sneaked in our base.

yPrwj.png

Luscious Pear and some random soldiers are targeted by M.C. attacks. Welcome to the ranks of (P)uppets, drop all your weapons and get ready to scout. Luscious Pear will stay where he is and act as M.C. beacon, absorbing attacks and leaving control of his body to unknown minds. Good luck staying sane.

c6lNE.png

Luscious panics, so I can't drop his stuff yet. Hopefully he won't betray us or go berserk. I clear his surroundings of any soldier just in case.

oh96r.png

An unarmed aquatoid is discovered behind our defensive lines. He's either a molecular controller or a grenadier. Either way, he must go down. Some soldier named Micheline throws a magna-pack explosive and runs away.

kkq3K.png

An aquatoid shows up from the airlock. Chzr threw another grenade but it will only blow at the end of the alien's turn. The alien doesn't take time to flee or pray to his gods, he shoots chzr.

RIP chzr :salute:, you were well on your way to make captain one day.

J75Xl.png

chzr's present for the aquatoid, his other normal grenade, takes care of the alien. A calcinite joins the fray and rushes for the door after a pulser is thrown near the airlock by some random recruit.

2qo4V.png

The grenade thrower's fate is not to be envied. Nobody knows exactly how he died by the calcinite's hands.

vHKGY.png

This sonic pulser will be key in the upcoming battle.

SCPfS.png

At least 4 aliens die in the resulting explosion. Morale is back up for everyone, and we dealt a serious blow to the alien's. Hopefully they'll start panicking soon.

zpn72.png

Lightbane arms and throws a heavy explosive at an aquatoid's feet, then runs away.

iQgSs.png

Massive explosion ensues.

beumC.png

Our calcinite friend wasn't brought down by the pulser or the explosive. Poor lightbane suffers wounds from behind best not described.
RIP lightbane :salute:, your time in X-Com has been short but you helped humanity survive as best you could.

Sd6VS.png

Spekkio gets out of his hiding place and spots two aliens.

8g3I8.png

One of the puppets regains his senses. I drop his stuff and move him towards the door.

be0jO.png

Warcupine arms and throws a pulser to save Spekkio. Except it's quite close and likely to kill him, better run away now.

vZVWD.png

He made it to safety, phew!

SLkEV.png

Some more M.C attempts, couldn't catch it in time.

N4I37.png

And more M.C towards Luscious Pear.

dWjYR.png

Aliens gain control of a puppet. He doesn't have anything so he's quite harmless, unless he triggers reaction fire from a HE cannon.

1NLmh.png

A calcinite moves towards Spekkio...

Z863K.png

And he suffers the same fate as lightbane.
RIP Spekkio :salute:, your death will weight heavily upon your comrades.

azpXn.png

Some woman named Helga takes revenge with a sonic pulser.
Warcupine is targetted by M.C. As per standard procedure he joins the ranks of the puppets. Still, he's reluctant to begin scouting so soon and moves away from the door to escape the blast.

5YRXq.png

A random soldier spots a calcinite. He can't arm and throw a grenade. He can't run away. He primes his grenade and run towards the yellow monster. He won't die alone, that's for sure.

Wgjaw.png

An aquatoid shoots a stun bomb at our kamikaze. I guess he won't make it.

BX3wa.png

Nope, he doesn't. And he doesn't bring anyone with him either.

MEAsK.png

Luscious Pear spots a calcinite, then runs away in a corner.

a4dPm.png

Merk spots three more aliens, but can't both arm and throw a grenade. I don't trust his shooting, we'll have to improvise.

z8GRV.png

Hoverdog primes and throws a pulser at Merk's feet. Merk picks it up and throws it between the two aliens.

3ZJHz.png

Merk is saved. Aliens are dead.

eOGNT.png

Luscious Pear is safe from calcinite attacks for the time being.

4ajWi.png

Merk spots this alien. Hoverdog has a clear line of fire, takes aim and scores ! He uses some leftover AP ammo, so no explosions.

T0rXk.png

Merk spots another alien. Hoverdog shows why there's a '+' next to his role, and brings it down.

kqcCB.png

Another aquatoid spotted by merk, another kill by Hoverdog.

gS8Qg.png

Merk loads up on grenades from deceased enemies.

p9pXa.png

We know there's an alien in there somewhere. Merk throws one of his pulsers.

7Ohuj.png

It ends up one floor below.

eJWXd.png

Merk arms and throws another pulser, but it somehow gets stuck in the ceiling very close to him. He dies in the resulting blast, and the aquatoid comes gloating over his corpse.
RIP Merkwürdigliebe :salute:, sorry if I didn't type your name fully every time.

kufyW.png

Alien throws a grenade at the wall. It doesn't do any damage to our troops.

3vnrL.png

Hoverdog does let the aquatoid destroy our base any further.

0nbNR.png

Warcupine begins scouting the blasted zone for more aliens.

g3IZY.png

There's another one.

bMiT7.png

Warcupine grabs a pulser from the corpses as no MC attempts have been suffered for a while now. He then hides in a corner.

dBUvB.png

Warcupine throws his grenade in a corner. Meanwhile Charlie guards the other way.

SSnjq.png

The grenade didn't kill the alien, but the aquatoid shoots his stun bomb towards Charlie at point blank. They both go down in the resulting blast.

qk5Hr.png

Remnants of the team gather to take the fight to the aliens, as no more are coming to us now.

4TYFn.png

RK47 narrowly escapes two sonic rifle shots. Warcupine arms and throws him a grenade. RK47 sends it to the alien.

WnLD8.png

Good throw.

zizOT.png

Another alien hiding near the subs is discovered.

3BTXF.png

RK47 takes care of him.

8raNb.png

Warcupine finds the last alien hiding at the top or the airlock.

Vct5f.png

Somehow he misses his throw and the grenade ends up one level below...

kih6H.png

Next turn, Warcupine rectifies the situation and blows up the aquatoid for good.

dnox3.png

We survived, and got a live alien too. We didn't recover many artifacts, but that's the problem with heavy sonic pulser use : they blow up sonic weapons and ammo.

3pLZd.png

First promotion is well deserved. Second one, not so much. Rabidredneck didn't do anything this mission.

IXdkw.png

The list of survivors. Well done soldiers :salute:. It seems we lost Luscious Pear at some point, but I can't remember what exactly happened. I noted he was shot by an aquatoid but have no corresponding screenshot. Sorry Luscious Pear :?

Canus

Savant
Comrade Canus reporting for duty as a sandbag of some sort.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:salute:

Had me worried when the aliens decided to mindrape Warcupine. But I guess they didn't know I was full of able semen. How the hell did I keep from panic/berserk long enough to throw dem nades? Did my bravery go up at last?

:love: this thread. So full of death.

Epic. Deserves this word because of the random soldier who primed that nade and dashed at the alien scum for Mother Earth. :salute:

400px-Brestskaya_krepost_monument.jpg

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

lightbane

Arcane
Wops, it seems my boy died... But he can be rebuilt!!

Recruit Lightbane Mk 2 it's ready to serve... Again.

3ZJHz.png

Noooooooooooo! he was so promising killing aliens and what not. Well if you run out of cannon fodder feel free to reuse Merkwürdigliebes stitched up corpse for further grenade stopping duties :salute:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Toss my name into the meatgrinder. I don't care which role I get, just assign me one based on my stats.

chzr

Scholar
SCPfS.png

neva forget :salute:

chzr II /S reporting for duty!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom