Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Let's discuss charisma

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
My reaction to Charisma after reading this thread
giphy.gif

Norfleet

Completely dumping a stat should give much bigger penalties.
Yeah, but conversely, NOT dumping several stats tends to create a completely dysfunctional character. This game has a lot of bases you need to cover if you want to get a complete playthrough out of it.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Completely dumping a stat should give much bigger penalties.
It's not a penalty if everyone was trying to kill you. Look at all the delicious XP and free ammunition you can get from them! That being said, playing with a fairly high charisma party, I'm a little underwhelmed by the benefits it offers. All my rangers do is tell people that they don't want to be best friends forever with them. It would have been nice if you could bring your recruits to the Citadel and exchange them for something useful like sleeping bags.

set

Cipher
It's a little confusing. If you agree to take a companion with you but never let them into your party at least once, they'll sit at the location you recruited them in. If you allow them into your party and then immediately dismiss them, they will appear at the citadel mess hall. Talk to some sergeant in there and he'll give you scrap or XP for each companion you recruit. Angela is not eligible and I assume neither are the three rookie recruits.

Bradylama

Arcane
It's a little confusing. If you agree to take a companion with you but never let them into your party at least once, they'll sit at the location you recruited them in. If you allow them into your party and then immediately dismiss them, they will appear at the citadel mess hall. Talk to some sergeant in there and he'll give you scrap or XP for each companion you recruit. Angela is not eligible and I assume neither are the three rookie recruits.

Not sure if this was a bug, but I had Lexcanium in my party for a while, and when I dismissed him he went back to his cage in Damonta instead of the Citadel. He didn't come to California either.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Has anyone compared high, mid, and/or low charisma runs?

I've been doing low charisma runs mostly, there are only a couple times I've seen times when it might be helpful. Has anyone found any for sure examples of different reactions/responses/additional info gathered with a high charisma party?
I've just reached California and my charismatic leader is 2 levels higher than the low CHA guys.

It does add more dialogue options and sometimes provide alternative ways. For example, if you're charismatic, one of the monks will leave an area he's guarding and invite you for a private enlightenment session (the scene and the music are hilarious).

Any discussion of charisma must take into account that it's one stat where there is very clearly a number of unmarked stat-checks. No doubt other attributes have them as well - they're tough to find, even with the code as (from what I understand) they're written into the specific encounters where they occur, and not the (more easily checkable) skill systems. That's why you can use a high-cha character to trigger the extra dialogue, and THEN switch to your dialogue skill character to use smartass/kissass (though there may be places where one character must pass both a cha and a smart/kiss check at the same time - there have been a number of semi-detailed reports of a particular hardass check only becoming available if you have a character with high str AND a decent amount of hardass).

If true, then it's gold to a guy like me who fucking loved the secrets of the old wizardry games, where it was considered a key part of the game to learn the specifics of what s stat/spell/weapon did (and many Wiz 1 players NEVER found out how to become a ninja, or even a lord). It's not like the games left you too blind to use tactics - you would start off knowing as much as a newbie could handle (str increases danage and to hit, con increases hp, etc), then you start working out subtler effects, and by the time you're ready to grognard you'd have a proud knowledge of the game's numbers....while still retaining that element of mystery that encourages players to theorise with each other about rare or undiscovered mechanics.

It seems like WL2 is deliberately hearking back to that - I hope so, as by providing a post-1990s-friendly ability to look at the numbers, while keeping just a few things hidden under the hood, would fit right in with their aim of making a 'new' Wasteland in the vein of what those games might have looked like if they persisted to the present day.

Anyway, back on topic.

Cha is seriously underated (I'm excluding SJ, as that's more a 'challenge play' than just a more difficult version of the base game). It just needs to be combined with a cha who can get the most out of it (i.e. no less than 3 use-often skills). With the bonus from demolitions, field medic and lockpick, he'll shoot ahead in level.

Anyway, there's two types of stats in the game - those that determine how strong your characters begin the game: Co, Str, Spd and Aw; and those that determine how much you'll improve (other than gear): Int, Cha and Luck.

A ranger squad should be taking both those things into account - enough of the former to survive the 1st half, and enough of the latter to ensure you thrive as the game goes on. There's simply no business comparing the benefit of Cha against any of the 1st 4, other than as part of that general tradeoff - they serve utterly different roles.

The underpowered stats are Co for the 1st group and Luck for the 2nd, while Spd and Int are the most powerful. Cha is as useful to that 2nd group as Aw or Str - you probably won't max it, except maybe on a deliberately extreme character build, but if you want a character to backload his power curve (and you will want at least 1, maybe 2 - a party full of front-loaded stats like Spd and Awa will blitz early, but eventually the enemies will catch up), Cha will factor in there somewhere.

Morkar Left

The hidden cha-checks are interesting. I thought attributes weren't used at all for checks.

All in all I have the impression there are a lot of different outcomes and things hidden which people just don't recognize / gets hidden on purpose for replayability.

I hope InXile will release a cluebook with such details after a while. Would pay extra if neatly made even for a pdf.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom