Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Give Birth to the 10th Legion! Aborted!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Hi guys. My ill-fated Arcanum LP in limbo, I am now seeking for a new material to cover. So, I decided to look at something more modern yet not really acknowledged as a 'good game' by the mainstream. Heck, I didn't even give it a second look when I looked at the title.

Basically, I hated it in my youth and doubted the third incarnation would be any better. All I remembered from the first game was hitting H for healing potions and hoarding up junk in a donkey. The whole Codex poured their scorn on the demo, and put the shitty camera control (worse than NWN2) as the main reason. All except for the minority of Obsidian die hard fans rose to defend this game. Some even recommended an X-Box controller to play it.

A suggestion that was so absurd that I vowed to play through this one with KB+Mouse alone.
And so, I present you, Obsidian's latest release (non-DLC, that is) with almost non-existent bug and fatal errors that it was so famous for...

Gents, embrace the Decline, for this is....

00.jpg

Chapter 01: Once Upon a Time...
Chapter 02: Flaming Intercourse
Chapter 02a: Spawns of the Legion
Chapter 03: The 10th Regroups
Chapter 04: Exclamation Mark!
Chapter 05: I like to party!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hell yeah, this is a decent game. (And the camera is fine. :P) Still, I'm looking forward to all the lulzy hate sure to be flowing through this thread. :roll:

RK47

Patron
Chapter 1: Once Upon a Time...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

odo.jpg
So...are you a boy, or a girl?

11.jpg

Lucas is the only swordsman in the game. Capable of switching between defensive shield or the offensive two-hander, he can fix most problems up close. The only downside is the lack of normal ranged attacks. But that's not a big issue since ranged units die quick and distance can be covered easily.

I prefer to play as Lucas, since his controls and strengths play so much better without pissing at the camera. But let's see the other 3 children of the Legion...

12.jpg

Anjali is a mix between melee fighter and mage. From what I've seen in my brief play, she's capable of switching between the melee-centric human form, using her staff to attack or archon form where she spits fireballs and conjure flames.

Not as hardy as Lucas, but pack more punch from range. I still don't like her as much, since her abilities don't gel that well IMO. Oh, her robotic voice is cringe-worthy.

13.jpg

Reinhart is an oddball. In ten minutes of playing him, I decided to quit in disgust of the lack of 'instant front load damage' to compensate for shit normal attacks. It's not that he's bad, he just takes more time to get into, and I'm not really interested in his character. They're going for oddball, I don't like oddball protagonist. If I want to state an example, Jolee Bindo probably.

14.jpg

Ah, the bimbo gunslinger. Belly button exposed, wielding two long cold irons on each hand. You get the idea. I'm still waiting for a nude mod for this slut. Kat is a purely ranged character and had to roll on the floor like Geralt of Rivia to compensate for that.

There's going to be a lot of nightmare with ranged attacks due to the camera and off-screen enemies, so I'll save myself the pain and skip her. Eye candy aside, her sniping skills plus dual pistols will allow her to fight single or multiple targets effectively. And she has that 'Russian voice acting' going for her. (Think Red Alert!)

I'll update next with some game play, for the moment, let's hunt for nude mods to spice things up!

lightbane

Arcane
You should choose the flame chick for the lp, because:

1. She technically is a djinn.
2. Considering the shitstorm this lp may produce a flaming creature is very appropiate.

In any case, many :love: for doing this lp, I shall see if this game was as bad as they said :M .

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
+1 vote for the djinn

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME IN DUNGEON SIEGE III

korenzel

Educated
I'll vote for Reinhart, because I played as him and thought he kicked ass and was actually an interesting character to play, not so much a clickfest as the others. His second Entropy ability is also possibly the best in the game, especially when combined with a vampire weapon.

I hope you'll not be playing as Lucas on hard, because you'll be dying constantly in melee range. Many monsters and bosses have multi projectile attacks that tend to all hit if you're too close.

The camera is fine even with keyboard and mouse, it was much better than The Witcher's 2 in my experience. At least you can zoom out.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shit, I forgot to actually vote. My vote goes to Reinhart, seconding korenzel's choice, as he really is fun to play.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 2: Flaming Intercourse

Alright, you guys win. Anjali it is!

01.jpg

And so it begins the tale of our Flaming Djinn...

02.jpg

03.jpg

odo.jpg
So...are you a boy...or a girl?

04.jpg

odo.jpg
So cute...

05.jpg

odo.jpg
:what:

Guess she made flaming piles of turd as a baby? :lol:

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

And that's how Anjali got here...

14.jpg

Welcome to Dungeon Siege 3. I liked the presentation so far. The hand drawn animation slides reminds of me of Baldur's Gate 2 and old time classics. But let's see if the game play can back it up. Just remember that Obsidian will be using those slides VERY frequently to connect chapters and describe the outcomes of your decisions. This is pretty good move by Obsidian, but it's still too early to tell if C&C even exist in this Action RPG...

Anyways, Anjali can shift between her human and djinn form. Human form relies more on straight up attacks. Like this first move, the flaming kick.

15.jpg

Shifting to Djinn Form, Anjeli will burn off her clothes to expose her obsidian skin and set things ablaze with her ring of fire. This does periodic damage, and when upgraded can also heal Anjali or do more damage to enemies.

16.jpg

More importantly, her Djinn form allows her to attack from range.

17.jpg

10 minutes into the game and I realize this is probably more similar to Marvel Ultimate Alliance than Diablo series. Or even DS 1 or 2. And this is a good change...if it wasn't so overwhelmingly simple to play. But let's give it a chance and proceed onward to give birth to the 10th Legion.

18.jpg

A broken gate? Not a good sign.

19.jpg

20.jpg

Oh, what a surprise...here comes the Inanity(tm) I'd never see coming from Obsidian or Dungeon Siege III.

21.jpg

Yeah, we examine a corpse and was given a short description. So, I thought OK. Let's move on. Hey, wait, there's a second one! Maybe there's something important?

22.jpg

Huh...ok. Another dead Legion...can I get some loot or something?

23.jpg

What. The. Fuck?

24.jpg

Hey, hey, how much filler shit can you put into this tutorial. I know it's optional, but I don't think people play Dungeon Siege to read corpse descriptions. I want some loot, dammit!

25.jpg

Oh, thank god, I thought the game is going to describe how heavy the door is and multiple slash marks on its otherwise fine Lion-chiseled stone front.

26.jpg

Where's the enemy? Show yourself!

27.jpg

:x YOUR MOM SUCK DWARF COCK!

28.jpg

:retarded: OBSIDIANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

29.jpg

Okay, a shred of paper...alright. I'm cool. That's gotta be the end of the inanity, right? Calm down...let's...find something to kill.

30.jpg

Oooh! My first loot!

31.jpg

it's a weapon rack! Hit E and it'll pop out a random junk!

32.jpg

Spear of RAGE! YEAHHHH!

33.jpg

Here comes the EYE OF THE TIGER!

34.jpg

It'll pop out when I hit the C key. Then it splits into two...to allow access to your character tabs..

35.jpg

Click on Equip....and...

34.jpg

IT HAPPENS AGAIN. :x

35.jpg

The categorized loot makes it easier to find out what the hell you just picked up and what sort of improvement or decrease in statistics will you get from equipping it.

36.jpg

This is a good part of the interface. The Eye of the Tiger? Not so much.

37.jpg

But enough of that, we're here to smash stuff up and kill! Hack and slash, baby!

38.jpg

OK. I'm reading it...but I'm more interested on the chest next to it...

39.jpg

DETERMINED Breastplate! Fuck! I feel MOAR determined! WILLPOWAH INCREASE! Get the pattern here, Codex? Rage increase attacks, Agile increases Agility, etc.

40.jpg

WILL THE INANITY EVER END? I SMASH A BARREL. RAWGH!

41.jpg

A green....orb? Is that an artifact?

42.jpg

It heals me. :retarded: So....moral of the story: Need a heal? Smash barrels for random green orbs.

43.jpg

FINALLY. MURDER MAYHEM!

44.jpg

I swung my staff twice and they dropped dead. Geez, I know it's tutorial...but man...

45.jpg

.....................................................................................................................

46.jpg

MUST. CALM. DOWN.

47.jpg

MOAR!

48.jpg

Fuck's sake, even killing mosquitoes in real life felt more satisfying than this!

49.jpg

Oh, finally, someone worthwhile to kill?

50.jpg

Shit, a friendly NPC! And he looks like Christian Bale.

anja.jpg
I'm fine. But who are you? Have we met?
mar.jpg
No...but Odo's told me stories about you. The warrior maid, who fights with a spear.

51.jpg

The next gen dialogue wheel returns!

anja.jpg
When I got here, the house was on fire, and everyone was dead. How did this happen?
mar.jpg
We didn't have any warning. They surrounded the house and hit us fast. I don't even know who hired them. *Explosion.* Damn - they've found us again! We can't wait any longer! I've set a trap...three kegs of gunpowder on the bridge below. Thought I'd cover my escape if they found me. All we need to do is light the fuses. Come on - to the bridge!

52.jpg

QUICK! PRESS E ! GUD GUD!

53.jpg

I can feel the tension blowing up...

54.jpg

Here they come...

55.jpg

Yeah, let's run past a lit keg of gunpowder...

56.jpg

57.jpg

:yeah:

58.jpg

59.jpg

That last line came out wrong.

60.jpg

Hey, stop playing my game with narratives! Let me walk there myself! It's an action RPG dammit!

61.jpg

Holy shit, Obsidian!

62.jpg

With Hawt comes Hope.

63.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Wait, is that some kind of Anjali nude mod? I don't remember her flashing tits so much in my game.

Also: the in-game tutorial doesn't mention it, but it's possible to access the inventory immediately, without raging through the character screen. Not sure which letter in particular it was, but I think it was F.

lightbane

Arcane
Biodrone: "Wait what?? That genie chick burns her clothes to transform and yet when she turns back into human form her clothes are intact??? THAT'S TOTALLY UNREALISTIC!! Dungeon siege 3 is not as emotionally challenging as DA2, therefore it's shit!! I'm out!!"

Jokes aside, what you've shown doesn't seem to be so bad, I'll wait for more updates and see what happens.

RK47

Patron
Despite how bad ass a reunion of 10th Legion descendants might be, there's not a single body of the attackers in the mansion. Instead, every single fucking corpse is a Legionnaire. FAIL. Considering Anjali 2 hit kill anything that attacks here in that mansion..well, screw Video Game Logic.

It'll get better, I think. But man, what a shitty tutorial.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I recall it being a gradual downhill slope from the start. there was a slight incline when cyclops workers demanded monocles, but the rest was boring, banal, shit.

RK47

Patron
Chapter 2A: Spawns of the Legion

The slides differ slightly between characters introduction and here are the differences....

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Yeah, very simple background. Basically Odo warned that there are spies hunting down Lucas and the rest of the Legion. Lucas, as well as any other choice you picked will start at the trail towards the Montbarron's estate like Anjali did.

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

The strange thing is, Odo still refer to Reinhart as 'his young friend' in the opening of his letter. Let's move on to the last Legion we can choose...

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Huh...so, Katarina is Lucas' sister?

14.jpg

15.jpg

:love: Kawaiii

16.jpg

:(

17.jpg

And their ways involving shooting rifles and wielding dual pistols, just like it's shown on the hand drawn cinematic, am I right? Or did she just manufacture a grenade?

18.jpg

Yep, everyone ended up getting their ass handed to him or her for helping the children of the Legion...the theme here is vengeance. And that's it for this mini-update.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jezus.

Descriptions only work in dedicated spaces not in popups obsidian.

Also naked djinn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom