Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

Parsifarka

Arcane
there was a Windows port [of Virtua Fighter Remix] back in the day, but I haven't checked it yet.
Well, I sparked my own curiosity with this remark as I hadn't given much thought to playing VF1 up to this point (as remarkable as it is, I regard VF2 as a consistent improvement in all fronts), but it turns out some holy men uploaded it to Archive.org, and it works really well. Through the in-game menu accessed with F6 it allows to switch instantly to the original polygonal models from the standard VF1 and to choose the stage. Besides the arcade, it has the regular versus, a team battle mode which pretty much follows the KoF system only it allows not just 3v3 but 5v5 as well, a ranking mode that is the same as the arcade but gives you a score and a hint at the end (you can't retry here), and even a "watch mode" to see the CPU battle it out... yet no training mode. With a higher resolution and no slowdowns, this is a much better option than the Saturn conversion, so I reckon this port is the way to go until the arcade machine gets emulated properly.

Dreamcast SFA3 is still 1:1 with the arcade version.
Do you have a learning disability? No, it's not 1:1 with the CPS2 original - it might be 1:1 with Naomi SFZ3 Upper port (I haven't tested it extensively to know), but Naomi SFZ3 Upper looks like absolute fucking shit compared to the CPS2 original SFZ3, and has fundamental balance changes which didn't go across well at all with the people who actually play the fucking game, hence making your recommendation ill-advised, especially since you took it upon yourself to speak for everyone else because muh extra characters (find me a decent SFZ3 player who gives a shit about Fei Long being in the game and I'll give you a cookie). Which is what the original discussion was about, and which absolutely warrants a direct comparison with MvC2 on the grounds of botched sprites and resolution.

There also clearly seems to be a correlation between inputs and general popularity.

No, it doesn't, that's just IGN-tier reasoning, which is pretty standard coming from you. Tekken 7 has 1 frame moves all over the place, is generally a difficult game execution-wise and still sold over 10 million copies. Casuals have no chance in that game. DBFZ has touch of death combos everywhere (also with difficult execution), but simple inputs suck and it sold comparably. Turns out people like a well-made Dragon Ball game, who woulda thunk.

The correct line of argumentation established here about a year ago, again, which seems to have flown completely over your head despite you having been owned repeatedly by multiple people ITT, is that simplified inputs don't necessarily translate to normies liking FGs more, because scrubs will always make excuses for losing and inputs have nothing to do with it. A game with simplified inputs that doesn't penalize the player for doing them will still have good players dominating weak players, in fact much more easily because you can be damn sure they'll make a lot less mistakes compared to regular inputs (which were already very few). For proof, just look at DNF Duel. Do you think there are a lot of casuals in that game? It has simplified inputs and basically no penalty for doing them. Casual players will get destroyed and never touch a single button all 3 rounds. It has had sub 100 simultaneous players on Steam since a month after it got released and is in all respects a huge failure.

Anyway I'm not going to repeat everything that was written, just go back and the posts very slowly, maybe you'll get it it this time.

It's ok if you're a casual fan of FGs and like single-player extraneous modes like survival and so on because you've got no one to play against and you don't like to play get owned online. Just don't go vomiting your opinions on how ports are better than originals because they have said additional modes despite looking and playing worse, or how sales correlate to the ease of inputs, as some kind of easily observable general rule, because that's just projection and/or pulled straight out of your ass.

Anyway, enough derailing the thread.

We were talking specifically about visuals when I said Street Fighter Alpha 3 was 1:1, remember? That was couched in us talking about the sprites, and the sprites in other games. Maybe I should’ve been more specific, I was saying the aspect ration of SFA3 on Dreamcast is 1:1 with the Arcade version. Outside of some HUD things being slightly different, the Dreamcast and Arcade versions look so alike I’m not sure most could tell a difference...it’s certainly not the kind of change as you see between Capcom vs SNK and the reuse of that game’s sprites in Capcom vs SNK 2 on the PS2, or something like Blackheart and Rogue’s sprites in MvC2 in comparison to the last games they showed up in. The difference isn’t even like the other console versions of SFA3 around the same time which do have different aspect ratios from the Arcade game and look noticeably different on the screen.

You know Smash Bros Ultimate sold more than 30 million copies? Smash Bros. has consistently been the best selling fighting game series since its release on the N64. Think about that for a moment. Melee on the GameCube, and the GameCube was the worst selling console of that generation, (sold a few million under the original Xbox) sold better than any fighting game released on the PS2 despite the PS2 selling something like 7 times as many systems. Although I’m not sure how much bring up Dragon Ball FighterZ helps your point. The game does many things to make it more casual friendly than the average 2D fighting game with standard Street Fighter move inputs. For one thing every move is a Hadouken input...or a extremely easy Down Down input. Like Capcom’s Marvel style games, there are no double (unless you count pressing down twice) input either. You also do have characters in DBFZ that essentially have Supers that are just: Press button and a single direction. And there’s the simple one button combos and the rush attack. Even with the simplified movesets, if you look into it at all, you will find people on Reddit and other places talking about how they’re having a hard time with just the Hadouken inputs. Now you could just say those people are scrubs or whatever and fuck them, but that also doesn’t help your point.

Tekken is a game that’s extremely easy to mash in. Now you can talk about one frame links or whatever, but I doubt that matters to the majority of the over 10 million people that bought Tekken 7 in the 5 (almost 6) years it’s been out on consoles and PC now; and I fucking guarantee it didn’t matter when Tekken was even bigger than it is now. It’s been a long time since I’ve played Tekken online, and I’m not even good at Tekken, (I was into Virtua Fighter and had Sega systems) but playing it online my experience was that the majority of people I played against were even worse than me. Tekken looks nice, and it’s easy to jump into and feel like you’re doing something even if you don’t know what your doing; I’m sure that helps it sell like it sells more than anything.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I was saying the aspect ration of SFA3 on Dreamcast is 1:1 with the Arcade version
Almost all games at the time assumed the displayed game image would have a 4:3 aspect ratio because this was how people configured their displays to output whatever signal the game hardware was producing, which itself was produced such that it would fill a conventionally produced and configured 4:3 display completely. So a PC engine game which might output 239 lines of 256 pixels each, would be displayed at the same AR as a CPS2 game which output 224 lines at 380 pixels each. Hence why people talk about PARs (Pixel Aspect Ratios) across systems instead. As mentioned, CPS2 was 224 lines of 384 pixels, which is a "hi-res" rendering mode i.e. pixels were more tall than they were wide (7:9 PAR, to be exact) -- square pixels would require you to have ~300 pixels per line (84 pixels fewer) @ 224 lines @ 4:3. Anyway, could the the Dreamcast output 384 by 224? I don't know. The Playstation actually could. But anyway *if* the Dreamcast could not, then you'd need to change the displayed AR to something *other* than 4:3 to match the CPS2 PAR @ 4:3 get the correct PAR (this is what you should do for e.g. the Saturn version of Zero 3, which was released after the (first) Dreamcast version). This is all assuming there are no mistakes in the rendering code itself (there are many pitfalls when drawing sprites and backgrounds as textured quads consisting of two triangles with orthographic projection, mostly around filtering and pixel centers), and the devs didn't redraw the sprites or backgrounds or mess with their placement for the DC port and its display modes.

Last edited:
I was saying the aspect ration of SFA3 on Dreamcast is 1:1 with the Arcade version.

No you weren't, the discussion was never about aspect ratios, stop moving the fucking goalposts. Here's what I initially replied to your absurd claim that "most people would prefer SFZ3 Upper on the DC than arcade":

No, you wouldn't want to play SFZ3 Upper over the CPS2 original, because the resolution is shit and sprites look botched, and plus the balance changes were pretty much universally hated by people who actually played the game.

And this was your retort:

Also not sure many people could even point out the visual difference between the original arcade version and the upscaled Dreamcast version.

There's zero mention of aspect ratios, no one even remotely thought of aspect ratios. Are you high?

I was saying the aspect ration of SFA3 on Dreamcast is 1:1 with the Arcade version.

No you weren't, the discussion was never about aspect ratios, stop moving the fucking goalposts. Here's what I initially replied to your absurd claim that "most people would prefer SFZ3 Upper on the DC than arcade":

No, you wouldn't want to play SFZ3 Upper over the CPS2 original, because the resolution is shit and sprites look botched, and plus the balance changes were pretty much universally hated by people who actually played the game.

And this was your retort:

Also not sure many people could even point out the visual difference between the original arcade version and the upscaled Dreamcast version.

There's zero mention of aspect ratios, no one even remotely thought of aspect ratios. Are you high?

You’re the one moving the goalpost. We were talking about how SFA3 looked. I said it was 1:1. You then started talking about gameplay...which wasn’t the thing being talked about. You were also previously bring up totally different video games that did different things than the game being talked about to try and make a point. I previously said most people I’m sure wouldn’t be able to tell a visual difference (I didn’t even say nobody would be able to tell the difference) between SFA3 Arcade and Dreamcast, and you’re like: Well, they could when it came to Marvel vs Capcom 2. Yeah, OK, but that has nothing to do with the other thing. They’re two totally different things. They aren’t really comparable.

SFA3 on Dreamcast and Arcade aren’t massively different looking games. It’s not like the PSX version where everything looks stretched out and blurry because it’s running at a lower resolution, and its zoomed in so the sides of stages are cut off and characters look slightly larger. Nothing of the backgrounds are cut off, animations weren’t cut from the arcade version, and characters are the same size on the screen in the Dreamcast version as they are the Arcade version. You might notice the pixels more on the Dreamcast version in comparison to the Arcade version on a modern screen as opposed to as CRT...but like I said at the beginning, this isn’t something most people will notice. The Arcade version does have a softer look than the Dreamcast version, the pixels blend together better, but the difference isn’t substantially noticeable unless you’ve got your face right next to the screen, you’re not playing on a CRT, and you’ve got the resolution higher than either game was originally meant to be played in.

You also keep bouncing back and fourth between this “I just play fighting games to have fun, I don’t care about the FGC” and “Serous players don’t like or care about this or that” thing. If you’re just playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 for fun, (which the majority of people are) your going to want the characters that got added into the Dreamcast version. Who fucking cares if serious players do or don’t care about Fei Long? You can’t both try to appeal to authority and also bitch about how the authority doesn’t fucking matter like some skitzo.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Is Samsho the true King of Waifus?

Haven't seen E.T. so happy ever playing KoF XV :/

The only game where B. Jenet is cheered as the underdog.

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
God, I'm loving SamSho 5.

How much of a dick am I for liking the archer chick? :M

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Stopped caring about fighting games after Team Ninja bitched out and killed DoA to please the faggot game journos. SF6 looks okay. Atleast Crapcom isn't covering the ladies with hijabs.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Asuka looking as retarded as always, and am not surprised that Leroy made it in. This guy is just pure style.

v1rus

Arcane
Still enjoying quick couple rounds of Samurai Shodown 5. I might as well give the series a run from the start, even tho at first I "only" limited myself to 2,3 and 5. I know they dont emulate at all, but are the two 64 games any good? What about the 64 sequel thats on psx?

Jason Liang

Arcane
I just watched the Tekken 7 Grand Finals. To no one's surprise Arslan is still the best Tekken 7 player ever. At least it was nice seeing someone playing Goose Howard.

v1rus

Arcane
Darnit, I spent hours and hours setting up every game in FBNeo (free games, consistent button layout, etc) and just now I discover that you can actually set the games to their AES version!? :o

Is it worth it to go and set every single game like that? SamSho 5 pretty much had no options, but The Last Blade 2 had stuff like training and customizing button layout.

PapaPetro

Where can I find local fighting game scenes in my area?
Is there a good website or something?

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Granblue Fantasy: Versus is currently a $1.99 on Steam and PlayStation.
I was surprised by the price since the game was on sale very few times and not too deep of a discount but than I remembered that a new version is coming out so this is most likely to be abandoned soon.

Most Tekken 8 models are awful, and the materials just scream generic Unreal Engine bullshit. Game looks fucking ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom