Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play err, play & watch: David Wolf, Secret Agent

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
torpid said:
Nice cleavage on Miss O'Neal!
That's DOCTOR O'Neal :rpgcodex:

So it's mostly the team, plus a few actors who never showed up in any other "film". TV actors maybe?
IMDB lists TV actors too, and the ones I checked aren't even on there. My guess is they put out a small ad in the local paper and auditioned nobodies. Much cheaper (and keep in mind this was 1989; the game's whole budget was like $100K). I think they did the same for Heart of China (the leads aren't Dynamix team either, and they're people I never heard of).

ironyuri said:
What the fuck? Who wears glasses like that indoors with the lights on to answer the do-
You forgot that it was also (supposedly) the middle of the night.

Infact, this game is so terrigoodbad that I think it warrants this
Game? what game? In two updates you've only seen 3 gameplay sequences of one minute or so each so far. There's only 2 more before the end of the game...

Crooked Bee said:
This game's, uhm, facial expressions are killing me.
The "surprised" one is the lulziest, IMO. Though Lt Brooks (the guy who greets you on the submarine) also made me go :what: when I first saw him.

lightbane

Arcane
This is something I will never understand. Would it kill our kwans to yield to demands once in a while? I mean I can understand the "we will never negotiate with terrorists!" shtick as long as you HAVE a backup plan, but when it comes down to either paying a ransom or praying... seriously, do you expect God Almighty to just strike down the Shadowcat when it's in mid-flight?

But didn't you know?? Amerikwans believe that retreating is for pussies, they will never back down no matter the cost!! Also, MOAR!!!

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
I like how Stock waits until Wolf wakes up in the plane instead of strangling him in his sleep or something... reminds me of the Dr. Evil monologue in the first Austin Powers ;)

spekkio

Arcane
So now we know that Alpha Protocol was actually a spiritual successor to this game...

:thumbsup:

agent_126.png

:retarded:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
UPDATE 3: DRAX ISLAND

PREVIOUSLY ON DAVILD WOLF SECRET AGENT...

As David Wolf's plane nears Drax Island, where the evil organization VIPER is holding the Shadowcat in preparation for nuking Capitol Hill, an ominous ticking sound is heard...

agent_166.png

agent_167.png

Tstock.png
That's the sound of your death, Wolf.

Tstock.png
I've just set a small, but reliable, bomb to explode in 20 seconds.

Tstock.png
I hardly regret to say that there's only one parachute on board.

agent_168.png

agent_169.png

I would like to take this moment to say how honored I am that an esteemed oldfag with a very low post count, Donaroriak, has risen from the grave to comment in my LP. More specifically, to voice what all of us are thinking: WHY THE FUCK DID GARTH STOCK WAIT UNTIL REACHING DRAX ISLAND TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT WOLF? Or, since he's holding a gun in the first place... why not just shoot him? Unfortunately, as Garth will be leaving this world shortly, we will never know.

agent_170.png

Hey, this bomb looks pretty small. I'm sure the clever thing to do would be to throw it out after Garth!

agent_171.png

agent_172.png

Nope, Wolf throws himself out instead. Hey look, Xbox pad icon = arcade coming up!

agent_173.png

This isn't a very difficult action scene but it's annoying. You have to get Wolf to fall on top of Stock. However the game is finnicky about what constitutes the two meeting, and missing him means instant death (and the game over I showed in the previous update).

agent_174.png

Stock also moves around, and it is entirely possible for him to move into a position that makes it impossible to ever catch up to him. I don't know if it's a programming oversight or what the designers were thinking.

agent_175.png

The key is to tilt full down (thereby increasing fall velocity) as soon as Stock is right under Wolf. If you're lucky, catching him can be extremely easy.

agent_176.png

agent_177.png

CHARGING SUCKER PUNCH.

agent_178.png

RENEGADE SHEPARD STRIKES AGAIN!

agent_179.png

:yeah:

agent_180.png

Right, remember the original plan March suggested? Get onto the supply truck and use it to sneak in. Here's the truck, and here's another positioning arcade. This time the truck moves at a constant velocity, so you just have to time your fall so you land directly on top.

agent_181.png

Landing near it causes Wolf to be captured. Landing in front of it causes Wolf to be run over.

agent_182.png

This looks like perfect positioning, so fall away!

agent_183.png

agent_184.png

Uh-oh. The guard must've seen Wolf landing with the parachute!

agent_185.png

Nope, apparently not. Fatso Vasto really should hire more competent help.

agent_186.png

agent_187.png

agent_188.png

Wolf gets off the truck and runs for cover.

agent_189.png

agent_190.png

agent_191.png

Tboor.png
Mr. Vasto, Dr. O'Neal has escaped.

Well well, she's not your typical damsel in distress after all...

Tvasto.png
She can't get out of the complex. Alert all the guards at once!

Tboor.png
Yes sir, Mr. Vasto. We'll find her.

Tvasto.png
Double check the hangar. The SF-2 is scheduled to take off soon and I want nothing to interfere.

agent_192.png

agent_193.png

Woops. Where did he come from?

agent_194.png

agent_195.png

agent_196.png

These shots were all meant to show you Wolf running away, but I was too slow taking the screenshots. And I'm not playing the parachute sequence again.

agent_197.png

agent_198.png

The camera pans around the Shadowcat, showcasing the game's awesome next-gen 3D engine.

agent_199.png

agent_200.png

agent_201.png

And Wolf gets in the plane.

agent_202.png

agent_203.png

Hey, look who's here!

agent_204.png

agent_205.png

agent_206.png

Twolf.png
So what are you doing here?

Tkelly.png
Sabotage. David, I didn't think that you would make it.

Twolf.png
Gee, your confidence is overwhelming.

Tkelly.png
I'm sorry...

Tkelly.png
I just couldn't let this baby of mine fall into the hands of Mr. Fatso.

Twolf.png
That's Vasto.

Real subtle guys.

agent_207.png

Tkelly.png
Starting init sequence.

agent_208.png

If you thought Wolf and Kelly's SHOCKED expressions were as :retarded: as it can get, boy were you wrong.

Tvasto.png
FULL ALERT!

agent_209.png

agent_210.png

Uh-oh, a helicopter's after us! (don't ask me why Vasto didn't just post guards inside the Shadowcat's hangar...)

agent_211.png

Tkelly.png
David, blow out the hangar doors now or we'll never get out of here.

agent_212.png

Well, there's not much to do. Just fire away!

agent_213.png

agent_214.png

agent_215.png

That's a little fourth wall breaking isn't it :?

agent_216.png

agent_217.png

Shit, first the helicopter, now a tank too!

agent_218.png

Caught between a rock and a hard place!

agent_219.png

Tkelly.png
I think so.

Tkelly.png
Stay at full throttle.

agent_220.png

:rage:

agent_221.png

agent_222.png

This is the point where I start hitting the arrow key like mad.

agent_223.png

agent_224.png

agent_225.png

Tvasto.png
Shoot him down! NOW!!

agent_226.png

agent_227.png

agent_228.png

agent_229.png

This is the most annoying sequence in the entire (lol) game. You can't shake the missile off, so you have to veer dramatically when it's close behind you to avoid it temporarily, until it locks again. However, you need to be going very slowly and maneuvring carefully to fly through the hangar without smashing into it. I couldn't therefore take any snapshots of this sequence. Once you manage to fly through the hangar...

agent_230.png

agent_231.png

agent_232.png

agent_233.png

Tvasto.png
Bring Wolf down!!

agent_234.png

agent_235.png

agent_236.png

Tkelly.png
... targeting is active, and I've put the missiles on line.

Another scene for which I couldn't get any screenshots. You need to shoot down both jets before they shoot you down. Your missile will lock on them, but only if you keep the jet in your targeting area, which is easier said than done since the other jet will be behind you doing the same thing to you. If the jets manage to shoot you down, you get a different game over, since the Shadowcat gets destroyed and can no longer be used by Vasto.

agent_268.png

agent_269.png

Fun fact: this is Kevin Ryan, one of the top people at Dynamix and, I believe, co-founder of the company along with Jeff Tunnell.

agent_270.png

Tmarch.png
This is strictly off the record, Sher. Ok?

Treporter.png
Sure, I understand.

Tmarch.png
David Wolf saved millions of lives the other day.

Tmarch.png
He's a hero. Maybe the biggest this country has ever seen.

Tmarch.png
They'll never know it though. Security and all.

Tmarch.png
That's all I can tell you. David Wolf died a hero.

agent_250.png

Of course we can't have any of this, so Wolf gets to shoot down both jets instead, much to Vasto's dismay.

agent_237.png

agent_238.png

Tkelly.png
Don't worry, I've put the ACLS on.

Twolf.png
Automatic Carrier Landing System. Very impressive toy, Kelly.

Tkelly.png
Thanks.

Tkelly.png
The Nimitz is in this area.

Tkelly.png
We should be down in a few minutes.

Twolf.png
The Nimitz! Why the hell didn't they help us against Vasto!

agent_239.png

No comment.

agent_240.png

agent_241.png

agent_242.png

agent_243.png

agent_244.png

agent_245.png

agent_246.png

Probably a hook for a sequel that was unfortunately never made.

agent_247.png

Tmarch.png
I'm sorry, Wolf isn't available. He is returning by ship with Dr. O'Neal.

Tmarch.png
No, it's not a pleasure trip. Strictly business.

Tmarch.png
Wolf needs background information for his report. Probably up to his neck in paperwork right now.

I think you will find that something other than his neck is up something other than paperwork...

agent_248.png

Twolf.png
You know, Kelly, we could take a break.

Tkelly.png
We're here on business, David. This isn't a pleasure trip.

Twolf.png
Of course.

agent_249.png

agent_250.png

How's THAT for a twist ending! Bond Wolf did NOT get the girl after all!

agent_251.png

The credits start rolling as the "camera" pans along a dark silhouette...

agent_252.png

... which is then revealed to be that of a naked woman, in typical Bond opening credits fashion.

Thanks for watching, and I hope to see you all in my next Dynamix LP: Heart of China!

spekkio

Arcane
agent_229.png

I think that doing a barell roll
would be even better idea...

:clap:

torpid

Liturgist
agent_249.png

David Wolf blue-balled.

Nice job finishing this highly interactive, action-packed game :salute:

agent_208.png

Someone needs to replace the text with "The President is a computer!" or something equally derpy.

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
IIFXE.png

Can't wait for Heart of China now that this game interactive fiction movie is over

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom