Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: Fallen Gods

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
fg0001.jpg

Welcome to the RPG Codex LP of Fallen Gods. Some moron apparently thought it would be a great idea to have me present the beta version of his bad game to the public, so here we are!

Yes, this is a beta (bro), so there may be issues. I gave it a few test spins and it seems to be stable enough, and these playthroughs were also enough to convince me that this should make for p. good LP material.

So without further ado, let's dive right in.

fg0002.jpg

The carving on the big runestone sticks out as loading progresses, which is a cool effect. Also comrade protip gives us some gameplay hints.

fg0003.jpg

Almost there.

fg0004.jpg

Fittingly for the Codex, the game begins with a giant pile of turd.

fg0005.jpg

And the turd glows!

fg0007.jpg

After which our badfella emerges.

fg0008.jpg

And stumbles...

fg0009.jpg

And rises again.

fg0010.jpg

So here we are. We got kicked out of not-Valhalla and have 90 days to find a way to get back before we become a normie. The turd pile was actually the burning crater left from our fall towards earth.

We actually have a pretty gud starting setup - there's no chargen, so it's completely random. In the upper left corner are our god's stats - might (fist icon, 5), wits (brain, 5), speed (boot, 6), HP (6 blips). This should make us survive some beating while also succeeding in brainy dice rolls.

We also have a wolf fetch for facetanking, and a starting fighter who decided to tag along when he watched us fall:

fg0011.jpg

~*if you wish upon a star*~

We also have a bunch of starting resources that include 1 soul (the swirly thing under the god's stats, this is used to power DIVINE MAGIX), 16 food and 4 gold (top right corner). 4 gold is super low which is a bummer, but alas. The yuge 90 is also our time left in days. We want to watch this carefully. Zero days = game over.

fg0012.jpg

Here's our general starting location. Before we embark on our GODLY QUEST, we inspekt our starting stuff. Clicking the party members gives us these screens:

fg0013.jpg

"Healing ways and a heart tied to the wilds" are our god skills (DIVINE MAGIX) that have various uses which will become apparent as we play.

fg0015.jpg

The wolf is invaluable because she's a strong combatant and loyal to the death.

fg0016.jpg

Fighters are cool dudes that smash gud and doesn't afraid of anything. He'll serve us well.

Notice the orange aura around his portrait. That's his morale. We'll have to watch it as well because red morale = bad. Low morale dudes will underperform and may also run away from combat.

fg0014.jpg

We also have a special starting item. Whatever good it will do us.

fg0017.jpg

A bird's eye view of the map. We'll see how much of it we'll manage to uncover by the end.

We don't start in the immediate vicinity of too many points of interest.

fg0018.jpg

First is this woodstead. This will be the first place we'll visit since it's so close. At worst it'll hold nothing of interest for us.

fg0019.jpg

This songstone we can use to teleport to others like it on the map. It costs souls, though, and we'd be stupid to waste our starting 1 on that.

fg0020.jpg

And likewise this dock would let us sail to other docks or towns... if we had more than 4 gold on us.

That's about it for our starting setup. Here's how the LP will work: you'll get to vote on a god 'archetype' that will largely determine how I'll approach events, and I'll only stop for major or more interesting ones to put them up to the vote. This is because otherwise I'd probably have to stop every 5 steps to update.

I have four starting routes to propose:

fg0021.jpg

This one, designated A, will take us through a shrine, a steading, and a town, and will later probably lead us to a big and scary cave. The different settlement types will give us different followers to hire, and may also have events to resolve.

fg0023.jpg

B will take us to a steading and a town, after which we might go plunder some barrows.

C leads to a shrine and a steading, with a cave next to the steading that should be ripe for exploring.

fg0024.jpg

With D we'll go through a hillstead to a castle and who knows where next.

Also remember that other stuff may happen along any of these routes, so it's unlikely that we'll just be touring the local riviera.

Finally, PICK YOUR GOD ARCHETYPE.

1. The Good Incarnation - You got kicked out of not-Valhalla because you whined so much about helping the downtrodden yokels back on earth that everyone decided to let you see to it personally. We'll be such a goodly god that everyone will think we're the second coming of Jesus.

2. The Practical Incarnation - You got kicked out because your constant scheming and flip-flopping left you strongly unwelcome. We'll try to be pragmatic and pick whatever choices fit our agenda.

3. The Paranoid Incarnation - You got kicked out because everyone hated your guts. You are the asshole god. Woe unto anyone who runs into you because the desire to be a dick is just too strong. We'll make sure to insult, swindle, ridicule, bash and fart on everyone we come across.

Choose wisely.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Super cool that this is getting lp'd. Has there even been a public beta? I must have missed it. Largely it looks pretty cool, I like the graphics and artstyle. Let us wander northwards in accordance with our strong moral compass (A1).

Modron

Arcane
A2 sounds good.

I had noticed a few codexers playing this on steam lately what dark rituals did you have to perform to gain beta access?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Good incarnation.

First run -> Goody two shoes

I'll play through the evil route on my own :D.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
given choice, always go for the D. Also it appears to be the route with some chest hair

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
given choice, always go for the D. Also it appears to be the route with some chest hair
How is that with chest hair, it doesn't end with barrows likely filled with loot no doubt guarded by lethal spirits, draugr or other undead FUN.

Well unless the game doesn't have those, but that would be decline.
sorry man, no spoilers until my embargo gets lifted

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Planting a paid shill in the playground section of the Codex has to be the worst marketing strategy ever.

I vote A1.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Comrade Loading Protip of the day:

fg0025.jpg

To my big surprise, you decided to go with The Good Incarnation, and our starting route is going to be A, leading northward.

god1.png
I will not rest until all the wrongs of this world are set right.

fg0026.jpg

Our first stop is this woodstead.

fg0027.jpg

And already we find our first chance to aid the folk in our goodly ways!

Settlements in this game offer you a bunch of things. You can get new followers, buy food, rest to heal up, and gather info about the world ("tidings"). Most of these have some cost associated with them.

Dyrmark also has some kind of trouble brewing, but before we resolve that, I go to the recruitment screen.

fg0028.jpg

You can get woodsmen and churls in woodsteads, but unfortunately our crap 4 gold can only get us freebie churls.

fg0030.jpg

I get one anyway in case a fight breaks out. You can already see one of the benefits from having a churl in your party: you can buy more food per gold in settlements, and he chimes in to say so when you hover over the button.

fg0031.jpg

Also, seeking tidings is actually a wits check (the idea is you're gossiping and have to separate the good stuff from the FAKE NEWS), as indicated by this highlight when you hover over the button.

fg0032.jpg

Before we proceed, have a churl character sheet. As the description would suggest, they don't count for much, but you can never have enough meatshields.

I get back to the steading and Ask About The Trees (tm)

fg0034.jpg

god1.png
Offerings to heathen gods? I will not stand for this!

Norse Jesus decides to kick the merchants out of the temple.

fg0035.jpg

This triggers a fight. The enemies outnumber us, but we outgun them pretty significantly.

fg0036.jpg

Hovering over the start button gives you a preview of the combatants' HP and turn order. The two heathen woodsmen may be a problem since they also have an attack bonus (as indicated by the little sword over their shoulders) on account of being on home turf, but the churls and womyn are weaklings.

We can also choose to run away from this fight, but given the disparity of strength in our favour, there's really no need.

fg0037.jpg

The god is the first to go given his high speed. I order him to attack Heathen #2. The numbers in the medallion slots give you the initiative queue for the fight, because since this is a #true #oldskool #pixelart #vintage #hardcore #soulslike #rpg, dudes take their turns to act.

fg0038.jpg

The god springs to action!

fg0039.jpg

And whacks the 'eathen over the 'ead.

fg0040.jpg

To which the heathen responds in kind. The two will now automatically bash each other until one drops dead. This is largely the extent of your actions in combat.

fg0041.jpg

Comrade she-wolf (I'll call her Ilsa from now on) attacks the other woodsman.

fg0042.jpg

And when he jabs her, he gets another sword for more attack bonus. This is because woodsmen are stronk vs wolves.

fg0043.jpg

Agni the Fighter is next. One significant limitation here is that you can't bumrush singular enemies with superior numbers. If there are any left unattended, you have to engage them with your free dudes before those already engaged can be targeted.

Agni will whack heathen churl #2, while Randver (our churl) will whack heathen churl #4.

fg0044.jpg

Soon a full bloody melee ensues!

fg0047.jpg

Agni scores the first kill for the good guys on his next turn.

fg0049.jpg

Then Randver gets the second.

fg0051.jpg

And Ilsa kills the woodsman.

fg0052.jpg

FALLEN GODS IS A GREAT GAME BECAUSE IT LETS ME KILL WEAK WOMYN WITH BURLY AXE-WIELDING MENS

fg0054.jpg

Agni one-hit-kills the maiden, leaving Randver to whack the final remaining woodsman.

fg0057.jpg

Mission accomplished! :hero:

fg0058.jpg

We did it, Codex! We saved Dyrmark!

The people are a little unsure about this outcome, but we've beaten enough sense into them to start worshipping us. This has netted us +1 soul.

fg0059.jpg

Not much has changed in the woodstead itself. I decide to rest since the god and Ilsa are both significantly beaten up.

fg0060.jpg

Such colour effects.

fg0061.jpg

Resting for a day here gives our party 3 HP. Not bad.

After that I decide to seek sum tidings.

fg0062.jpg

When you win on the roll, the text changes and the picture gets all cloudy

fg0063.jpg

To reveal the location you've just heard about, as well as some info about it. Here we learn that a witch can be found in some swamp.

fg0064.jpg

Clicking 'show where' gives us its location relative to us. Not exactly along our intended path.

fg0065.jpg

MOAR gossip.

fg0066.jpg

Here we might actually end up later.

fg0067.jpg

These two bits of info were all that the woodstead held.

fg0068.jpg

We can move on to Lanhyrr. A shrine to our very own selves!

fg0069.jpg

But before we do that, I decide to go hunting. Note the red food counter in the top right. We have 4 dudes, which means we eat 4 fud per day, so we'd be running out of it pretty fast.

Hovering over the hunt button makes the fetch icon with the wolf light up, showing that the wolf is helpful here.

fg0070.jpg

When you go hunting, some dice are rolled on the board while a VERY SUSPENSEFUL text withholds the result until they stop rolling.

fg0071.jpg

A good haul of meat despite rolling... 1? Manna from heaven!

fg0072.jpg

Let us move on.

fg0073.jpg

Along the way we're stopped by this thing.

fg0074.jpg

That event popped up because we got lost in an, ahem, forest with a clear path leading through it, which cost us a day. Reasonable.

fg0075.jpg

Let's see what we have here.

fg0076.jpg

!!!

MORE opportunities for dogooding!

20090123105455-apothecary.jpg
Direct me to the injured.

fg0077.jpg

Our Healing Hands skill allows us to get this guy back into shape, which the scrublord priests were incapable of. It'll be at the cost of 1 soul, but it's a tax we can pay to right the wrongs of this world.

god2.png
No fellow god left behind!

fg0079.jpg

This feels like a tough choice that I was thinking about for a longer while, but in the end I decided to let him join. Never refuse unique party members.

fg0080.jpg

Oof, look at this guy's stats.

fg0081.jpg

Yesssss, friend Ullin will serve our agenda very well.

Note the three gems next to his portrait. That means he's max level. Also, being a woodsman, he'll prevent us from getting lost in forests (like we did just now), he's strong against wolves (like the heathens back in Dyrmark), and he shoops arrows at enemies in combat. The fact that he's loyal is only icing on the cake.

fg0082.jpg

Before we leave, I figure I'll also grab a priest from the shrine.

fg0083.jpg

fg0084.jpg

Priests are terrible in combat (even though they're "strong against the dead" - it remains to be seen just how strong), but they offer a lot of utility. Already here we can see, for instance, that Njal can heal us for the bargain price of 1 day. Since we're still in good enough shape, there's no real reason to do that.

We can also give him the skinbound book, but we are not going to do that just yet.

fg0085.jpg

Next stop: Bjothby.

Since we have a beefy party right now, I dropped the churl to keep the daily food costs at least a bit lower.

fg0086.jpg

This time it's a generic steading with no crisis. Nothing much to do here except to gossip a bit.

fg0087.jpg

EIN WURM IN ZE BEINHALLE?!

fg0088.jpg

I hope you know what that means.

fg0089.jpg

And that's all the churls could tell us. Whoopdedoo.

fg0090.jpg

Seeing as we're low on food again, I hunt once more. This time Ullin also chimes in that he'll help, because he's a cool guy.

fg0091.jpg

Booyakasha. That'll let us go on for a long time.

fg0093.jpg

While heading south, we come across this... horse's head?

fg0094.jpg

But before we can reach it, we're AMBUSHED BY A RANDOM ENCOUNTER!

It is time to dispense DIVINE PUNISHMENT upon these WICKED OUTLAWS.

fg0095.jpg

Note the outlaw fighter starting with lower hp and some arrows under him. Those are Ullin's. Woodsmen get to shoop before combat starts.

fg0096.jpg

STAB, mufugga.

fg0099.jpg

We clear out the churls before they can even retaliate, scoring a flawless victory!

fg0100.jpg

Free stuff, nice.

fg0101.jpg

Now where were we...

fg0102.jpg

OSHI-

We have two choices here. We can unwind the curse ourselves, which should be a formality since the skinbound book is highlighted when I mouseover it, but it'll cost us a day. Meanwhile Njal chimes in with his own offer of help.

priest1.png
Perhaps I can blunt this.

Letting Njal handle this will test his wits, but with 7 that should be fairly safe, no?

fg0104.jpg

fg0105.jpg

think again :neveraskedforthis:

No way am I rerolling this. We have only 3 rerolls for the entire game and this doesn't seem like a major blunder.

fg0106.jpg

Good job moron.

Njal brought ZE CURSE down upon the god and himself (note the black tentacles around their portraits), and his failure also made him go down in morale.

fg0107.jpg

Fortunately, where Njal failed...

fg0108.jpg

We can fix his mistake.

By which of course I mean I only uncurse the god, and let the loser suffer the C&C.

Don't ask me what the curse does in practice, but it can't be anything good.

fg0110.jpg

Moving on.

fg0111.jpg

fg0112.jpg

This town also holds nothing special. However, one new option is to sail somewhere else from here. Since we have a pretty clear course for the moment, there's no real need for that.

I do some gossip tho.

fg0114.jpg

fg0115.jpg

T8.png
I always associated feelings with getting caught.

fg0116.jpg

Gossip can also give you deep lore dumps instead of concrete info.

fg0117.jpg

Some more bits.

fg0118.jpg

Funny, this town held pointers on everything lying along Route D. Was it truly chest-hair-tier?

fg0119.jpg

Route D doesn't concern us, however. Our next move is there for all to see.

That's it for today! Tell me if this format with the combat/event cutouts works for you or if I should just post the full screens all the time, but I figured the cutouts should be good enough since little usually changes when just the text is advancing or simple blows are exchanged.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
"sir god, we have a problem and are desperate"
*kills 5 of them, refuses to elaborate. leaves*
Ah yes, the good incarnation.

The cutouts work well imo.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Being good doesn't necessarily mean being nice :smug:

And yeah, that format works well. At least for me.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Funny, this town held pointers on everything lying along Route D. Was it truly chest-hair-tier?
yeah its safe, dont worry about it

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looks like this could be a great game if it had real combat. Maybe dungeon crawling is better?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom