Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light! (Done, yay!)

Should I go crawling through the four optional 100-floor towers even though I haven't really got tim

• Nah, what for? That's just 400 floors of tedium, without any story or lulz whatsoever.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, who cares about being an obsessive completionist in a Final Fantasy gamey?

• Yes, an LP should be as complete as possible!

• Yes! Nothing like seeing the poor bee suffer! I'm sadistic like that.

• UUKRUL!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lightbane

Arcane
2nd rule of all rpgs (both western and eastern ones):

Bosses are always immune to instant death attacks and the like (but that doesn't stop them to use these attacks against you). The 1st rule is that everything is trying to kill you :P

:love: for the update.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Bros... I've just commited crime unforgiveable. I've just "played" FF X for the first time for whole two hours although I doubt "played" is the right word...

I feel... violated. :(

Suddenly, I know where Bioware takes all its ideas from :(

Why in the name of all that's holy couldn't they stick to the formula in earlier FFs and the game Bee's playing. Sure it's slightly childish but at least thematically consistent and considering the plethora of customization options as well as 'sweet' fitting art direction it looks incredible fun.

WTF hapeened in FFX I don't even.

Anyway, onwards noble Bee! To glory!

lightbane

Arcane
FFX was an experiment to see if the fans were retarded enough to buy a game that was nothing but a little of gameplay between countless, endless, impossible to skip cutscenes. Unfortunately it worked, so then we have FF13, that's much worse and has the same problems. At least Tidus wasn't an emo-tard plus the story was somewhat interesting. The execution, on the other hand...

Lastly but not least, we have FFX-2, better we don't talk about this one.

:rage:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jaedar said:
If I may make a request/challenge, I'd like to see you tackle one of the bosses without a white mage :P

Sure, why not. Would you like me to switch White Mage for Salve-maker, or do you want me to do without a healing class at all?

But anyway, I won't be playing the game further until, uhm, Thursday -- so I thought I'd give you, dear readers, a chance to influence our party's crown set-up. I will provide the list of all the crowns we've got, and it'd be cool if you could choose a set-up that appeals to you personally. I, on my part, will do my best to roll with the set-up you'll choose. Of course, I will upgrade a crown where necessary. This could add a bit of, uhm, interactivity and IMMERSHUN to this LP -- if anyone bothers to voice their preference.

Please keep in mind that we're gonna face a no doubt strong boss next, so we need at least one magic and one melee damage-dealer. I'd be okay with a 4 Black Mage or a 4 Beastmaster party, but not with a, say, 4 Bard party. Also: Salve-maker is a cool crown I was planning to try out, so feel free to choose it.
But anyway. Here're the crowns we have. I've omitted a couple of meaningless ones, like the starting one and Wayfarer.

White Mage
AP cost for white magic reduced by one!
Healthgiver: Make your next healing spell work on the entire party.
Lifegiver: Make your next healing spell more powerful and work on the entire party.
Hide: Hide from opponents so they will not attack you.
Miracle: Give your allies a big HP boost and cure all their ailments.

Black Mage
AP cost for black magic reduced by one!
Magic Mojo: Make your next attack spell do more damage than usual.
Spell Focus: Make your next attack spell do a lot more damage than usual.
Mirror: Enable your entire party to reflect spells back at the opponent.
Magic Might: Strike all enemies with a beam of light dealing massive damage to all opponents.

Bandit
Monsters drop better items!
Steal: Try to steal an item from a foe.
Plunder: Try to steal items from all foes.
Deadly Blow: Have a chance to inflict sudden death when you attack an enemy.
Pillage: Steal an item from a foe - guaranteed.

Bard
Get the most out of equipped instruments!
Ditty: Sing a song to raise party's attack and magic power. Lasts three turns.
Motet: Sing a song to raise party's defense and magic defense. Lasts three turns.
Aria: Sing a song to raise party's status attributes. Lasts three turns.
Fugue: Sing a sad song that stops your foes in their tracks. Lasts only one turn.

Merchant
Find more gems!
Finder: Find gems in the midst of battle.
Keeper: Find gems more effectively with Finder.
Ransom: Every time you are struck with an attack, pay a ransom instead of taking damage.
Money Talks: Inflict damage in proportion to the amount of money you own.

Salve-maker
Use items without consuming AP!
Dispensary: Does not consume items when used. Lasts four turns.
Healthcare: Items work on all members of the party.
Poison Pill: Change recovery items into poison and make them inflict damage on the enemy.
Level Serum: Increase party level by 1.

Elementalist
Elemental damage is reduced by half!
Augment: Enhance the effects of allies' elemental attacks. Lasts four turns.
Amplify: Greatly enhances the effects of allies' elemental attacks. Lasts four turns.
Mysterio: Enhance your party's resistance to elemental attacks.
Elemental: Unleash a storm of elemental attacks against the foe.

Ranger
Deliver extra damage with bows and arrows!
Target: Ensure that every attack hits its target.
Snipe: Ensure that every attack strikes its target with extra damage.
Covering Fire: Inflict heavy damage on all the foes at the beginning of the next turn.
Smashing Blow: Deliver a single, mighty blow against the enemy.

Fighter
Deliver extra bare-handed damage!
Combat: Increase the odds of landing a critical hit. Lasts 4 turns.
Jugular: Strike the foe with a critical hit.
Chakra: Double your own HP for the duration of the battle.
Frenzy-fu: Hit the foe with repeated attacks. The stronger you are, the longer the chain.

Scholar
Make the most of equipped books!
Quell: Reduce the attack power of all foes by half. Lasts 3 turns.
Subdue: Reduce the defense of all foes by half. Lasts 3 turns.
Restrain: Slow the movements of all foes. Lasts 3 turns.
Tame: Reduce the attack and defense of all foes to 1. Applies only for that turn.

Party Host
Deal more damage with joint attacks!
Charm: Psych up a single ally.
Rouse: Psych up everyone in the party.
Pot Luck: Something will happen, that's for sure.
Go Team Go!: Psych up everyone in the party - a lot!

Hero
Get psyched up more often!
Reckless: Throw everyting you have into an attack, but weaken your defense.
Bladeblitz: Strike at the entire enemy party.
Wrath: Deliver masive magic damage to a single foe.
Finale: Combine with your allies to deliver a combination attack.

Spell Fencer
Follow up a spell with an attack for extra damage!
Magic Sword: Change weapon element and strike with attack spells.
Mystic Sword: Change weapon element. A more powerful version of Magic Sword.
Magic Thwart: Nullify the effects of attack spells cast against you. Lasts 4 turns.
Magic Infuse: Cast an attack spell and strike with your weapon at the same time.

Dancer
Deal extra damage when using a shortsword!
Dance: Recover AP more quickly than usual. Lasts 3 turns.
Perform: Make your allies recover their AP more quickly than usual. Lasts 3 turns.
Applaud: Increase one Ally's AP by 3 points.
Ovation: Restore all of one ally's AP

Shaman
AP cost for dark magic reduced by one!
Ritual: Make your next dark magic spell affect all your foes.
Hex: Make your next dark magic spell more powerful and affect all your foes.
Spellbound: Prevent both friend and foe alike from taking any actions. Lasts several turns.
Forbidden Art: Reduce the HP of friend and foe alike to 1.

Beastmaster
Make your allies stronger when in animal form!
Sic: Make a captured monster attack the enemy.
Capture: Capture a monster. Weakened monsters are easier to catch.
Gentle: Attack a foe without killing it.
Command: Make all party members in animal form attack the enemy.
Turncoat: Make a captured monster attack its own allies.

So, uh, make your choices!

spekkio said:
I'm gonna read this tomorrow but I've noticed some tentacle action...

No good japanese game can do without that, yeah. :P

lightbane said:
2nd rule of all rpgs (both western and eastern ones):

Bosses are always immune to instant death attacks and the like (but that doesn't stop them to use these attacks against you).

Well, Silence worked, so I figured other effects might work as well.

Mrowak said:
Anyway, onwards noble Bee! To glory!
lightbane said:
:love: for the update.
:love:

Mrowak said:
Bros... I've just commited crime unforgiveable. I've just "played" FF X for the first time for whole two hours although I doubt "played" is the right word...

I feel... violated. Sad

Suddenly, I know where Bioware takes all its ideas from Sad

I feel your pain. :/
Also, what lightbane said.

Silellak said:
Also, I confess I'm playing this game without sound -- as I do with almost all the games I play
:what:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Glad to see you're still reading this LP, Silellak.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
:) Here's my party suggestion:

Black mage
Spell Fencer
Elementalist
Salve maker

I'd replace the salve maker with something else, but without a healer I fear party wipe.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Salve-maker
Use items without consuming AP!
Dispensary: Does not consume items when used. Lasts four turns.
Healthcare: Items work on all members of the party.
Poison Pill: Change recovery items into poison and make them inflict damage on the enemy.
Level Serum: Increase party level by 1.

Fighter
Deliver extra bare-handed damage!
Combat: Increase the odds of landing a critical hit. Lasts 4 turns.
Jugular: Strike the foe with a critical hit.
Chakra: Double your own HP for the duration of the battle.
Frenzy-fu: Hit the foe with repeated attacks. The stronger you are, the longer the chain.

Spell Fencer
Follow up a spell with an attack for extra damage!
Magic Sword: Change weapon element and strike with attack spells.
Mystic Sword: Change weapon element. A more powerful version of Magic Sword.
Magic Thwart: Nullify the effects of attack spells cast against you. Lasts 4 turns.
Magic Infuse: Cast an attack spell and strike with your weapon at the same time.

Dancer

Dance: Recover AP more quickly than usual. Lasts 3 turns.
Perform: Make your allies recover their AP more quickly than usual. Lasts 3 turns.
Applaud: Increase one Ally's AP by 3 points.
Ovation: Restore all of one ally's AP
Just for information, is this game as all the other FF?
Where physical attacks pwns all.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kz3r0 said:

Nope, so far Black Mage > any other crown imho, especially with buffs. In this game, an all-magic party is a perfectly feasible option.
The three most powerful damage-dealers are Black Mage, Hero, and Fighter. And maybe Beastmaster, given the Command ability.

Also, I'd suggest you switch Dancer for some other crown because Dancer's main ability -- restoring AP -- is already covered by Salve-maker's ability of using Ethers without consuming them.

Jaedar said:
I'd replace the salve maker with something else, but without a healer I fear party wipe.

Well, we could always try replacing Salve-maker with Bard, and hope for Motet + Mysterio to keep us out of trouble, so if you feel like experimenting... :roll:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Kz3r0 said:

Nope, so far Black Mage > any other crown imho, especially with buffs. In this game, an all-magic party is a perfectly feasible option.
The three most powerful damage-dealers are Black Mage, Hero, and Fighter. And maybe Beastmaster, given the Command ability.

Also, I'd suggest you switch Dancer for some other crown because Dancer's main ability -- restoring AP -- is already covered by Salve-maker's ability of using Ethers without consuming them.
Elementalist then.

spekkio

Arcane
32heroes425.jpg

Oh yeah, baby. Do it! Squish the fairy! :o

32heroes683.jpg

Try equipping the Water Ring...

:smug:

32heroes837.jpg

Trannies, trannies never change... :roll:

@Mrowak: next-gen crowd wants to watch EPIC love stories about humanoid lizards and space bunnies without being interrupted by silly things like gameplay.
And Wapan gave us emo characters, but we gave them our own AIDS as well (POPAMOLE gameplay, 3D shootan, difficulty locked on "very easy", etc.).

My proposed setup:

black mage, ranger, spell fencer and shaman

:salute:

32heroes682.jpg

:smug:

I'm curious as to how you knew that Leviathan's attacks would inflict instant death if it wasn't silenced - I didn't see any hints from NPCs.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Silellak said:
Thursday? What is this, an ITS-sponsored LP?

Sure, just look at all the C&C. :roll:

Undead Phoenix said:
:x

Undead Phoenix said:
I'm curious as to how you knew that Leviathan's attacks would inflict instant death if it wasn't silenced - I didn't see any hints from NPCs.

I didn't know that the first time I fought him, I wrote that as, uhm, retrospective knowledge or whatever it's called. I simply silenced Leviathan -- since that was the only status ailment I could get to work on him -- and everything went fine ... well, until the Charge + Tidal Wave. :roll: It's only on my third attempt that I first witnessed the instant death effect and figured that it had been thanks to Leviathan having been silenced that the beast hadn't used it earlier. It's still just a guess though; maybe I just got lucky the first time, and Silence had nothing to do with the absence of insta-deaths. I dunno for sure.

Cenobyte said:
I'd like to see more of the party host :o
:thumbsup:

lightbane

Arcane
My vote for the team:
magical-starsign-ds.jpg

Meaning, a party of magic-based classes: A Shaman, a Scholar, an Elementalist and a White Mage.

PS: Actually, for what I've read FF12 was supposed to be good, but the Jewenix's directives forced the main developer to change the content (like adding the unholy abomination, Vaan, to please the consoletards) and kept him under so much pressure that he broke down, falling ill and forcing the other developers to do whatever they could with the remains.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Miss Bee

I'm sorry, I was mostly absent from Codexia until about now and you got in an updating spree so I couldn't keep up. :cry: I'll jump into shape and go in a getting up to date mode right now, ma'am.

And don't do the towers if they are boring, really. I'm sure we were all mostly joking with the dungeon crawling honor and stuffies, and if they are four hundred floors of nothing interesting and random encounters just ignore them and go on with the fun stuff. Even if you try you will not finish them, and no one can hold that against you.

@ Lightbane

Wow, I thought I was the only one here who had play Magical Starsign! (also: It is awesome)

Crooked Bee

Patron
Black Cat said:
@ Miss Bee

I'm sorry, I was mostly absent from Codexia until about now and you got in an updating spree so I couldn't keep up. :cry: I'll jump into shape and go in a getting up to date mode right now, ma'am.

That's okay, BC, just be sure to share your archdemon wisdom with us; this LP just wouldn't be the same without your comments.

Black Cat said:
And don't do the towers if they are boring, really.

I dunno yet, maybe they're not. I'll try doing one, and then we'll see. If I find I don't have any time at all to be doing them at the moment, I may postpone them for bonus updates or the like. And thanks for your concern, Kuroneko-chan. :3

Black Cat

Magister
Croocked Bee said:
IT'S WORLD DOMINATION TIME!!!

minta.jpg

:sisfist:

Crooked Bee said:
Perhaps Black Cat can help me in this matter.

I'm sorry but I can't. Mammon being female is a new one for me, too, though given we are talking about a game done mainly by, and for, males the way their unsophisticated and innately wrong minds relate Mammon to Female is quite easy to understand: Mammon is a demon of greed, temptation, and esnarement. Just like girls! Who are greedy and thus tempt them and esnare them to steal all of their hard earned money, then laught at them in front of all their friends and go spend it with some hot stud. :roll:

O, Lord, give me a nuke and a plane to Japan. Or a neutron bomb, so I can then loot Shibuya's fashion houses before returning to the civilized world. *dreamy sigh*

That aside, Mammon is a pretty succesful little demon in a mostly capitalist world or context, and we are down to the state of decline in which people who never in their lives took a peek into a theology tome decides to start talking about the theology of capitalism and write articles about it like they are well equiped to do so, or times in which we have a modern christian, or so they say, offshoot, what in the middle ages would have been called an heresy instead, that proclaims God really likes money and rewards those he favor with lots and lots of money, which is kind of amusing given...

Matthew said:
No one can serve two masters. He will either hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and Mammon.

Guess who they serve? So go back to read the good book before creating new religious sects supposedly based on it, you fat and lousy americans you. :roll:

However, for a demon so very succesful there is few, if any, information about him, and given he deals mostly in material gains I don't really care a lot for him so I never really did research a lot outside reading a couple of articles and watching all those modern capitalist jerks with their delussions of holiness parading about. What little I know about it comes from Collin de Plancy's works, where Mammon is mentioned not only as a demon of avarice but also as the demon who taught men to rend the breast of the earth to wrest away her treasures or, in less poetic terms, to mine. Therefore, I forward the theory Mammon is really...

dwarf-runelord.jpg

... a dwarf king!

:M

Crooked Bee said:
She's on vacation, yay. Just like our local RPGCodex kuroneko is with her LPs. :rolls:

Missed you too. :P

Crooked Bee said:
Leviathan

As I told you before, I'm in awe of your knowledge of those thingies, and knowing why you do in no way diminishes that. Now, while Mammon was not something I have studied too much, Leviathan, thankfully for my reputation, I can talk a little bit about, given it's a really important little fishie of darkness, and my favorite from among those usually mentioned as really great demons. As you said, and as we mentioned somewhere before, Leviathan is actually a dual being, either because there is a male and female one or because it is the, uhm, fusion of two other beings, namely Lilith and Samael. Lilith, and maybe Samael, where not originally thought to be renegades but actually, uhm, beings of the outer darkness, of which there's actually many in the old traditions and beliefs, though the most (in)famous example of this would be Moloch, whose own tradition stated was a great god of light who became trapped, and corrupted, by matter, becoming in the process mad and full of a brutal hatred of all things material, which in itself echoes both the Poimandres and how most occult traditions would later come to see matter and form itself, the most normal examples being Gnostics and Hermetics but everyone else, from Kabalists to Alchemists (which most people find weird where actually antimaterialist and metaphysical at first) to Daoist Sorcerers to whatever, falling in the same boat.

To begin with, however, the antagonism between Leviathan and the God of the Joos is seen, again, as another representation of the conflict between the divine forces of chaos and the divine forces of Hyle, which is the alchemical name for, uhm, Yang. However, given Leviathan is usually seen as evil, most people usually finds surprising to know Hyle actually means matter, meaning the God of the Joos is actually a lord of quiesent matter and form, and the same goes for his pals of other myths and traditions, like the Amatsukami or the Olympians, and therefore, from the perspective of at least the ascendant occult traditions, quite evil. This is, in a way, the origin of the, uhm, Cathar Heresy, which was only a modern, for the middle ages at least, version of something the Joo Kabalists have known since the beginings of time: That the God of the old testament isn't really the thing in Ain but the Demiurge, the shaper of the material world. Or, if you are a sorcerer or a gnostic, the material prison, and given creation usually begins with cthulhu the thing in Ain's proxy becoming divided in two opposite but (somewhat) equal parts, it stands to reason the Demiurge must have an equal against whom to fight for all eternity, because that's what they were created to do. That equal is, for the Kabalists, Leviathan, and only by (temporarily) defeating Leviathan, as both are as immortal as anything can be, both either the closest beings in the multiverse to the thing in Ain's proxy or, at least, lesser aspects of those closest of beings just mentioned (which would make them, uhm, fourth generation vampires or something), can order be brought to creation, just like the Olympians had to defeat the Titans and lock them somewhere deep and dark (ie: In a prison of matter).

Ahm, where was I, again? Well, in any case, and as you said, Leviathan is quite often described as a female, given as it is the local embodiment of Chaos, which is the female half of the thing in Ain's proxy, and related to all things girly and dark, like Yin and Water and Earth and Alchemical Salt, etc. Actually, by following the normal downward flow on the tree of life, Leviathan would be the same force there represented as the eternal (and dark, and stormy) Ocean of Binah, usually related to those very chaotic and kind of whimsical dark mother godesses that embody both creation and destruction, both tender love and brutal hatred, both fertility and war, etc. Which takes us to the point: Leviathan, and not Mammon, is actually an (arch)demonic queen, you stupid gooks!

And she probably orders Lucifer and the gang around, too! Grrrrrl powah!

Since we are at it, if you ever wondered why the holy trinity of xtians was the father, the son, and the holy ghost, which makes no sense whatsoever, instead of a nice functional family of a beardy and kind of way too disciplined Father, a Mother who kinda looks like an infernal sea dragon and rules the legions of chaos spawned monstrosities with a mixture of motherly love and big teeth, and Good Ol' Jesus trying to find the Dao under a Boddhi tree (and Grandpa+ma Thing in Ain looking down with a scary grin and going mwahahahaha, just as planned!) now you happen to know it was actually a lovely piece of decline from Kabalistic lore. Thank me later.

In any case, and this is pretty cool to know, this kind of duality of equally powered megamonsters was taken away when the old traditions and mysteries started turning into organized religions because you can't really build a good and nice state based around mostly obeying the law and respecting your neighbours or burning everything down to the ground and looting the bodies being equal before the eyes of The thing in Ain as long as you know the divine will and make sure you follow your own Dao prescribed path while taking advantage of any chance of gaining Gnosis, regardless of so called values, and dodging the chances of lossing Gnosis to material corruption, again regardless of so called values, everything else, from morals to ethics to laws to whatever, being of no consequence whatsoever. So they decided to, uhm, delete this little thing here and totally deny that other thing over there ever existed, the jerks.

This can actually be seen pretty clearly if you study Daoists and Confusionists, as both are supossed to have taken the bases of their philosophies from earlier sources but Dao has a more, uhm, chaotic or individualist bent, with the Dao not really caring whether you are good or evil and as long as you understand the Dao you will be welcome on it and protected by it, and Confusionists being more be good, be nice, be sociable, etc. Also, as far as I remember, this is part of why the Dao as interpreted by Laozi is usually seen as a Dao with a bit more of a Yin bent, giving more importance to the symbols of chaos, darkness, water, earth, and feminity, while the Dao as interpreted by Confucius is usually seen as a Dao with a bit more of a Yang bent, giving more importance to the symbols of heavens, light, order, law, etc.

Also, duality is one of the mythical reasons for men the spirit thingies men and women embody to actually fall to the material, as upon feeding on the tree of knowledge of good and evil some scholars say they become unable to not see the world in a dualistic manner (this is good, this is evil) instead of the Dao approved way and therefore were no longer able to exist beyond the Crown of Atziluth, which is the point in the path of the flaming sword beyond which no duality can exist and all paradoxes must have been solved. So they were, uhm, evicted from the garden by means of superpowered thing in Ain boot and ended four multiverses below. Ouch.

I would go on and on with Leviathan, duality, gnosis, the dao, and the path of the fiery sword but I believe that was already enough for today. In any case, here, have a little picture of the good Lord and Lady Leviathan arguing as only siblings who are also kind of married can argue...

leviathan2.png

Ah, yes, I forgot. Or almost: I said that for the occult traditions Earth is actually the lesser manifestation of Chaos, yes, which may seem to be weird for those who know the usual elemental symbology but no the alchemical one. Earth is, more of less, chaos crystalized in a shape dictated by Fire and relayed by Air or, if you are into Quantic Magic instead, the wild energies of Primal Chaos locked into a given information pattern, therefore why beings of the metaphysical, uhm, place like thingies can get a bit anxious about it, and even more those of Water=Chaos.

Edit:

Oh, with all of that I almost forgot. Full wizard party, indeed! Black mage, white mage, scholar, and something else wizard-y.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Part 33: Beelzebub: Gluttony

In which we revisit Urbeth, the town of misery, and save the day again.

Previously on this LP, we rode the legendary fishie Cetus to defeat another fishie, Leviathan, and save Liberte, the town of art and, uhm, artists. It's time to be moving on now, and our next destination is Urbeth, the place of the Tower to the Sky and the four merchant lords, Mylion, Bylion, Trylion, and Thauzand. Yay!

We exit Liberte, summon the little dragon, and fly north to Urbeth.

Since we're in the past now, Urbeth is still a city of faith, not of merchants, it seems:

A terrible plague? :?

What have you against animals, sis?
:rpgcodex:

You're so perceptive, SMA. :roll:
Remember Thauzand, the merchant lord who helped us a lot in the past in the future? Well, it looks like his daughter has fallen ill, no doubt to the plague.

And her names is Elith, apparently:

Diseased NPCs are lying on the ground all around Urbeth, unable to utter a word:

First we visit Mylion, the owner of the local armour shop:

Oh yeah, sure, just like the Tower of Babel. :roll:

Well, what can I say? You're pretty stupid, folks.
Mylion doesn't take kindly to animals, by the way:

Shoo-shoo yourself!

I have a bad feeling about that.

People just don't learn from their mistakes, do they?
It looks like someone's trying to profit from the pestilence:

We should pay that greedy bastard a visit, I guess. As you may remember, "down this lane" is right where we met the sorcerer who unleashed the demon attack on Urbeth and ran away with our Black Cat.

What? We ain't no thieves. We'll kick the evil bastard's ass instead! :P

A traveling sheep? :? Anyway, duly noted.
Inside the sorcerer's house, we find not the sorcerer but ... an Apothecary!

Screw you.

Nothing else happens right now though, so we better revisit this place later as the plot unfolds. Let's talk to NPCs some more!

Beelzebub's curse, you say? :twisted:

You don't say.

O RLY?

Doncha worry, bro, the heroes of light don't catch no diseases!

No one here finds us adorable, alas. :/

Not human, you say? :?

The point is, it's another fetch quest, yay!

:(

Yeah, it's been pretty useless, it seems. But ... what if WE are the answer to your prayers, eh? :roll:

Suspicious!

Sure thing, especially if the animal in question is our pretty princess, Volly the white cat!

What does Beelzebub have to do with plagues and curses, you wonder? I will explain that below.

Merchants, merchants never change. :roll:

O RLY?

Nope, he's pathetic.

Finally a kind soul.
:incline: of NPCs.

Hey, we're right in front of you!

Merchants, merchants never change indeed. :/

Nope, we're going to cure it instead.

Egoistic much, dawg? I am disappoint.

Oh, I'm pretty sure we will.
BRO suggests we pay a visit to Thauzand:

So we do just that.
As we enter Thauzand's store, we see him standing at the bed of his daughter Elith.

We've come to act, not just pray.

Thauzand: There's a merchant in town selling medicine that would help, but he wants a fortune for it.

Yup, dear readers, that's the beginning of Thauzand's path to becoming a greedy merchant lord. And we're here to prevent that!

Oh-kay, I think it's finally time to revisit the evil and totally non-human Apothecary.

This time we're given a "choice". We choose "Yes".

Apothecary: Well, too bad. I'm sold out. I doubt you could afford it anyway.

Hehe. Maybe we should follow you there. :smug:

We exit Urbeth, summon our dragon and fly to the south, to the Hunting Caves:

This is another already familiar and totally explored area. Long story short, we need to make it to the last level, B4.
Some new enemies along the way: three Orc Lords:

There aren't much of a trouble. The only interesting moment in this battle, is when BRO the Shaman uses Hex + Break:

I thought the Break spell would only petrify the Orcs, but it insta-killed them instead. :P

Volly and Codexer level up.
Volly -> level 29: HP +4, INT +1.
Codexer -> level 29: HP +5, STR +1, SPT +2.

And so we make it to B4:

The Apothecary is already here, right in the bushes, yay!

Yep!

:twisted:

He changes into a single Orc Lord. Meh, that's easy.

:P
And the Apothecary disappears. We find a Hi-Elixir hidden in the bushes:

And then return to Thauzand:

Yup, we're altruistic like that.

Thauzand: I'm overwhelmed... I don't know what to say.

A simple "thank you" should suffice. :oops:

Thauzand uses the elixir, and it seems to have some effect on Elith:

Elith: Ah...

Thauzand: Thank you, my generous friends. Please, won't you stay at the town inn tonight? I would love to talk to you again.

Yeah, it's rest-at-the-inn-to-advance-the-plot time again!

Our heroes are hopeful:

We should head to the inn, I guess.

In the morning, we head back to Thauzand.

But something's wrong.

So the medicine we brought hasn't cured her.

Thuazand: Elith!

But Elith seems to be in some kind of trance.

The goddess? :?

Thauzand: Can it be?

Ominous indeed.

"We priests"? ...

[Intelligence] So the merchant lords of Urbeth were formerly the local priests?

With this, Thauzand leaves. We won't be waiting here, however, we'll follow him and the other priests to the tower!

O RLY?

Codexer, you are slow.

It's time to change our party set-up to the one you, dear readers, suggested. There were 6 suggestions in total, so I'll do three of them today, in the battle against Beelzebub, and 3 next time, against another archdemon boss. These are the three we'll be doing this time:
Jaedar's: Black Mage (Volly), Salve-maker (Codexer), Spell Fencer (SMA), Elementalist (BRO)
Kz3r0's: Elementalist (Volly), Salve-maker (Codexer), Spell Fencer (SMA), Fighter (BRO)
Also, Cenobyte suggested using the Party Host crown, so I'll do just that, adding three other crowns of my own choosing and making it an all-animal party! :P
Cenobyte's + Bee's set-up: Party Host (Volly), Salve-maker (Codexer), Beastmaster (SMA), Merchant (BRO).
This will also allow us to try out Merchant's combat abilities.

I had to go gem-hunting, and wasted quite a lot of time on that but finally managed to collect enough gems to upgrade the crowns as needed. I may do a separate mini-update on harvesting gems later. But now let's switch to Jaedar's party.
As usual, Codexer will be our healer:

We upgrade his Salve-maker crown twice:

Poison Pill lets you change a recovery item into a poison/bomb. Healthcare makes recovery items work on the whole party. And Dispensary allows the Salve-maker to not consume items when he uses them.
SMA will be our Spell Fencer:

We upgrade her crown twice:

Then we make BRO into an Elementalist:

Volly will remain a Black mage, of course, but we upgrade her crown to get access to Black mage's most powerful ability, Magic Might -- a powerful magic attack targeting all the foes at once.
We need to requip our party now. We need to have the weapons, accessories, and spell books for all the three set-ups at once, as I'm not going to climb up the tower for each of them separately. Truth be told, I prepared our party for all the six set-ups, just in case. Here's what my plan was initially like:

EQUIPMENT
Volly -> Black mage, Elementalist, Party Host
Weapon: Sacred Tree Staff +2, Fresh Meat? (Attack +10); Shield: Great Tree Shield; Armour: Scholar Gown +1 (possible replacement: Spell Fencer Armor); Accessory: Soul of Thamasa
Other: Cure Tome, Fira Tome, Leafaga Tome, Banishra Tome, Hi-Potion, Phoenix Down, Dragon Wing
Codexer -> White Mage, Salve-maker, Ranger
Weapon: Ranger Bow +2; Shield: Shield of Light; Armour: Armor of Light; Accessory: Spirit Ring, Giant’s Ring.
Other: Cure Tome, Raise Tome, Berserk Tome, Hi-Potion x2, Hi-Ether, Phoenix Down, Echo Herbs, Remedy.
SMA -> Spell Fencer, Hero, Scholar, Beastmaster
Weapon: Mythril Hammer +1, Book of Dryad +1; Shield: Great Tree Shield; Armour: Spell Fencer Armor; Accessory: Power Ring, Intellect Ring.
Other: Lux Tome, Berserk Tome, Cure Tome, Raise Tome, Shell tome (for BRO!), Hi-Potion, Phoenix Down.
BRO -> Elementalist, Fighter, Shaman, Black Mage, Merchant.
Weapon: Magic Staff +3; Shield: Great Tree Shield; Armour: Scholar Gown; Accessory: Intellect Ring, Power Ring.
Other: Cura Tome, Raise Tome, Silence Tome, Break Tome, Sleep Tome, Leafra Tome, Fira Tome, Shell, Hi-Potion, Phoenix Down.

But then I decided it'd be too boring to do the same boss six times, so I settled for the three set-ups I mentioned. But yeah, above are the things I carried atop of the tower. :P
As you can see from the list, I decided to upgrade some of the equipment: the Mythril Hammer, the Book of Dryad, the Magic Staff, the Scholar Gown, and the Sacred Tree Staff. I didn't know anything about Beelzebub's elemental affinities, so I chose neutral weapons and shields for the whole party. And here are the abilities I equipped:

We save our game and enter the Tower to the Sky.

Again, this is an already explored dungeon. The objective is to get to 10F. 10 floors of crawling, yay! :roll:
New enemies abound here. First there are Evil Knights:

Just like Gargoyles, only blue-ish and stronger.
We have new tricks now -- lo and behold:

Then Volly does it again in an encounter against a Nue and a Lilith:

:incline: of our pretty princess.
Another new enemy is Iron Golem:

Let's test SMA the Spell Fencer's new ability, Magic Infuse:

:incline: of SMA as well.
For Codexer the Salve-maker to be able to heal up everyone in our party, he should first use Dispensary...

...and then Healthcare + Hi-Potion:

Lo and behold, we are healed...

...and yet the Hi-Potion is preserved, yay.
BRO levels up, by the way, going to level 29: HP +4, STR +2, SPT +2, INT +1.
On 9F we save our game...

...as well as create a save slot with our Desmume. Why? Because I want only to redo the Beelzebub battle, not make it through the whole tower again. But I'm repeating myself.
We're on 10F.

We see the four priests/merchant lords here, as well as the evil Apothecary!

Now who does that remind me of? Ah yes, Thauzand himself ... in the future.

:roll:

We approach the Apothecary.

Sure. Thought we'd just let you work your evil, eh?

With that, the Apothecary transforms into...

...a hideous octopus!

The Japanese sure love their tentacle thingies. :roll:

This is none other than Beelzebub, folks!
:yeah:

I've even managed to find a little piece of concept art for you:

BeelzebubBaal Zevuv (“Baal of the Flies”) or Baal Zevul (“Lord of Dung”) – was originally a Philistine deity. As the Lord of the Flies, Beelzebub had it in his power to send or prevent plagues or curses of flies and vermin, of which there are several instances in the Old Testament. In the New Testament, the Pharisees accuse none other than Jesus of being aided or even possessed by Beelzebub: “It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons” (Matt 12.24); “He is possessed by Beelzebub, and by the prince of demons he casts out the demons” (Mark 3.22). That Jesus was a magician possessed by demons, was the most frequent accusation against him – as well as again John the Baptist – in rabbinic writings: “Yeshu practiced sorcery and led Israel astray”. (Compare Origen’s dictum that “those who invoke Beelzebub are magicians”; hence this game’s figure of an Apothecary, I guess.) It is no coincidence that Beelzebul means also “the lord of the heavenly abode” and – yes, a rival of God himself. In the Paradise Lost Beelzebub is the prince of demons and the chief lieutenant of Satan. In Marlowe’s History of Doctor Faustus Faustus proclaims himself to “despaire in God, and trust in Belsabub”: “To him I’ll build an altar and a church, / And offer luke warm blood of new borne babes.” :roll:
Beelzebub is also associated, in the targumim, with the building of … the Temple of Solomon, the place of worship – just as the Tower to the Sky is in this game (which combines the Temple and the Tower of Babel motifs). Solomon used a magic ring inscribed with the tetragrammaton to call up the demons, of which the chief was Beelzebub, the “prince of all the demons”, who tells Solomon that he alone survived the Fall of Angels – which is also the name of Beelzebub’s most powerful attack in this game as we are soon to see – and rules over all the lesser demons. Interestingly, according to this legend, Beelzebub calls his demonic servants to aid Solomon in building the Temple. I haven’t been able to find the source of the identification of Beelzebub with Octopus in this game, but this seems pretty natural given the three things associated with him: dung (related to the octupus' "shapeless" shape), gluttony, and the many-headed (many-tentacled) curses and plagues he sends. Also, Octopus is traditionally one of the chief devil fishies, so yeah, that's that.
Again, I hope that Kuroneko-sensei will share her knowledge with us!

Now onto the battle itself.

Party 1: Black Mage, Salve-maker, Spell Fencer, Elementalist

Volly's low on AP, so she starts by boosting. BRO the Elementalist uses Mysterio to protect us against Beelzebub's magic attacks:

Codexer uses Dispensary, and SMA casts Lux:

I chose to give the Lux spell to SMA since she's an offensive party member who can waste the first turn without any harm or trade-off.
Beelzebub attacks melee:

This demon boss gets to attack only twice per turn. This shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Beelzebub can cast Firaga:

But thanks to BRO's Mysterio we are totally safe.
The bad news is, Beelzebub is resistant to all the elements:

That's why BRO's third-tier ability, Elemental -- an all-element attack -- fails to do any significant damage to him. :/
Volly's Magic Might does work, though:

Good.
Volly's Spell Focus + Leafaga is less efficient than her Magic Might ability, however:

SMA's Magic Infuse deals some damage too:

Beelzebub's regular attacks can inflict all kinds of status ailments on us:

Apart from Poison, we can be cursed, silenced, blinded, and whatnot:

Codexer the Salve-maker tries his new ability, Poison Pill -- he makes a harmful item out of a Hi-Potion:

Agian, thanks to Dispensary the potion isn't consumed.
Beelzebub casts Fira, but thanks to Mysterio we're good:

SMA can also use Magic Thwart to make herself immune to magic for a few turns:

While the Magic Thwart effect is active, SMA takes no damage from Beelzebub's spells:

The nasty phase begins once Beelzebub soars into the air:

If we don't attack him for two consecutive turns, the demon unleashes his full power on us:

"Fall of Angels". What a fitting name. :roll:
But yeah, that hurts. The funny thing is, as you can see from the above screenshot, Beelzebub hurts himself for 676 hp when he falls back on the ground. A fall that hurts the fallen: "Fall of Angels" indeed.

But thanks to Codexer's Healthcare we survive.
Volly uses Magic Might again:

And then again when Beelzebub rises into the air:

Victory, yay! Black mage is indeed a very powerful class in this game.
:salute: to Jaedar's choice of classes. They all have served us well.

Party 2: Elementalist, Salve-maker, Spell Fencer, Fighter

We reload the save state...

...and now it's time for Kz3r0's party. We change Volly from Black mage to Elementalist:

SMA remains the Spell Fencer, but we add Leafra to her arsenal of abilities:

And BRO is a Fighter now:

Good. We disequip the Magic Staff, of course, since a Fighter fights bare-handed.

And it's battle time again!
BRO uses Chakra:

Then SMA uses Lux, and BRO's max HP goes up to 489. With this much health, BRO is nigh invincible. Volly uses Mysterio.
SMA still attacks with Magic Infuse:

BRO uses Frenzy-fu:

Truth be told, I expected more damage.
BRO's Jugular doesn't deal much damage either:

:decline: of BRO. Apparently, Beelzebub is resistant to melee attacks. So this party set-up is less efficient that the previous one in this battle.
Still, when Beelzebub rises into the air this time, we manage to deal enough damage -- with Jugular, Magic Infuse and Poison Pill + Remedy, which is more powerful than Poison Pill + Hi-Potion -- to cancel his deadly Fall of Angels attack:

A "Broken!" message appears, and Beelzebub falls onto the ground...

...dealing a whole lot of damage to himself again:

This battle goes slower, but finally BRO slays the demon:

Nice, yay! But melee is not the way to go with Beelzebub.

Party 3: Party Host, Salve-maker, Beastmaster, Merchant

Now it's time for Cenobyte's favourite class, Party Host, and my own favourite, Beastmaster. Plus a Merchant and a Salve-maker. Kewl. :P
Volly will be the Party Host:

She's our pretty princess, after all!

Charm psychs up one ally, and Rouse, the whole party. Pot Luck is one weird ability. :?
SMA will be the Beastmaster:

The only ability we're going to need is Combat:

Of course we change our party into an all-furry one. :o
And then we make BRO into a Merchant:

Money Talks is his most powerful ability -- the more money we have, the more damage it deals. We've got a whole lotta money, so let's see if it will indeed be worth it.
We equip a powerful dagger, Fresh Meat (lol), on BRO:

Now back to action!

Oh-kay. Volly uses Rouse to psych our heroes up:

Codexer uses Dispensary, and SMA casts Lux.
Since BRO's a Merchant, we can as well steal an additional gem from Beelzebub:

A Diamond, yay! Diamonds are only obtainable from bosses, so this is nice.
Let's try BRO's Money Talks out now:

Pretty good!
:incline: of BRO.
Volly uses Pot Luck -- a random status effect:

Now that we haven't got an Elementalist in our party, Beelzebub's spells do more damage:

Volly's next Pot Luck is a success:

:incline:
It's high time for SMA to issue a Command:

Thanks to Volly all our hits are criticals. The damage isn't high, but still nice.
BRO uses Money Talks again:

Beelzebub rises into the air, but Rouse + two Commands in a row...

...bring him back to the ground:

And then another Money Talks finishes him off:

A total victory, yay!
We obtain 759 exp. Volly, Codexer and SMA level up:

Volly -> level 30: HP +3, STR +1, SPT +2.
Codexer -> level 30: HP +6, SPT +2, INT +1.
SMA -> level 29: HP +5, STR +2, INT +2.

Beelzebub is butthurt:

He vanishes into thin air, everything goes next-gen -- and the Crystal appears!

Crystal: O, Heroes of Light!

Crystal: Kindness and generosity again fill people's hearts.

And we are presented with a new crown, Alchemist:

Crystal: Go forth with courage, Heroes of Light, go forth!

The priests/merchant lords thank us:

One could wish.

Well, Beelzebub is one tricky bastard.

I guess we should check on her!
But first it's time for some party banter.

Yeah, you're a true BRO.

What is this multikult bullshit?

Yeah!

:D
And we teleport back to Urbeth.

As if that wasn't obvious, duh.

O RLY?

Yeah, Beelzebub is famous for his curses, you know.

It's coming to ... the Apocalypse!

Of course we are!

Nope. Acts are more important than words and all that.

And we enter Thauzand's shop.

I hope too!

As right as ... a new penny? :?

And he hands us...

...the Cape of Light!

Indeed:

Thanks, Thauzand! A thauzand thanks to you!

Wee mites?

Next time: we'll be trying out spekkio's, Black Cat's and lightbane's party set-ups!

EDIT.
Black Cat said:
:sisfist:

Yay!

Black Cat said:
Just like girls! Who are greedy and thus tempt them and esnare them to steal all of their hard earned money, then laught at them in front of all their friends and go spend it with some hot stud. :roll:

Grrrr.

Black Cat said:
Crooked Bee said:
She's on vacation, yay. Just like our local RPGCodex kuroneko is with her LPs. :rolls:

Missed you too. :P

I'm SO much in awe of your occult knowledge, Kuroneko-sensei! :salute:

Neko-chan said:
Grrrrrl powah!

lightbane

Arcane
That's why Lawful evil is the only aligment true heroes should have, if someone tried to behead Rolan maybe all of these demons would have died with him (of course, there's a chance they would be released anyway, but he was an emo so his death was justified, emos always mean trouble)

This piece of gear you got seems to be a pretty powerful item indeed. By the way, everytime you use Money Talks, do you lose a quantity of money equal to the damage you did or something like that?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It seems my party setup was quite potent indeed.

Also, is that a monocle our dear Codexer is wearing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom