Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play - Hearts of Iron 2!

spacemoose

Erudite
building fortifications is not worth it until you get advanced construction techniques.

mass infantry with artillery brigades and dig in.

also - what is this sprite faggotry, real men use NATO symbols

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I'm telling you, who rules the skys controlles the ground.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Could someone tell me how to install this game? I just got the HoA anthology pack, and I am not sure whether I am supposed to install just the expansions, or the basic game and then the expansions, or just the basic game (the expansions are standalone?). And what are these mods, should I use them?

Thanks for the help, I'm a bit confused, but this thread made me want to play this game.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
From what I've seen you only need to install Doomsday, and then Armageddon (since Doomsday is standalone and includes the original HoI2.) Armageddon is an expansion on DD, though... hence the order.

I noticed on Gamer's Gate it's around $25 for direct download of Doomsday and Armageddon. So tempting...

sqeecoo

Arcane
Got it to work! Thanks! I like the game very much. Played as Yugoslavia and got slaughtered (although I annexed Albania!).

I don't get the "alliance" thing, the Chechoslovakia kept "lending" me their troops, even after they got attacked by Germany. And I don't get espionage and diplomacy - the CCCP declared war on Hitler in 1936! What was that about?

We might as well discuss the game in general a bit seeing as how this is going quite slow...

spacemoose

Erudite
yeah, your allies lending you troops can get annoying. particularly when you're one of the majors. you can set up an event to prevent a particular nation from lending you troops, and then trigger it through the console. search the paradox forums for it

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Boy does this game look boring. No FPS view? But seriously, I don't think I can appreciate this until I am fourty. Do continue.

MĂĽg

Scholar
Spacemoose said:
building fortifications is not worth it until you get advanced construction techniques.

mass infantry with artillery brigades and dig in.

also - what is this sprite faggotry, real men use NATO symbols
That would be a tad anachronistic wouldn't it?

sqeecoo

Arcane
Come on thread, don't die!

A question: could someone tell me what the various mods do? I checked out the sites of the compendium, stony road and total realism mods but *none* have a short summary of what the mod does. Anybody know? I am using the compendium mod currently for all the historical stuff, which I like. But if one of the others improves AI or whatnot I might want to try it...

Oh and another question: How do I use reserves in this game? I mean bring in new troops into a long battle? Can I just send them in? And what does the support defense order do? It seems to just make units move to the square I order them to support.

And, more importantly, is there any way to retreat troops, and perhaps specific divisions from an army? I feel there should be a way, but I can't figure out how.

Thanks for the answers!

spacemoose

Erudite
on reserves - yep, just send them to the province you're defending or attacking. I never used support defense, since its more advantageous to set whichever armies would be supporting defense to attack the province your enemy is attacking from, flanking him and giving him a 50% combat penalty.

as for retreating specific troops from a battle - you can retreat each corps individually. a corps being a "stack" with a commander. you can't split/combine corps during a battle, so usually you can't retreat individual divisions, unless you've got corps made from a single division.

what you've got to do is select the corps you want to retreat and order them into the province you want them to retreat to.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Thanks! I was hoping you could get individual divisions out. But I guess I can just retreat whole corps then.

But divisions do "disengage" when their organization goes very low, right? Meaning they won't die. And when more than half of the divisions in a corps disengage the whole corps attempts to retreat and regroup.

I would also be grateful for some tips on air warfare: it's pretty complicated and I'm not sure how to go about it. Close support? Tactical? Figthers/interceptors? And how to use the bunch? And what about the dogfighting upgrade lane? Any good?

Fez

Erudite
Shame this "Let's Play" seems to have stalled or died. I very much like this game and would be interested in seeing an interesting game using one of the minor nations.

dragonfk

Erudite
We should have played Poland. At least it wouldnt be a long LP and maybe it would have been finished.

Nedrah

Erudite
The op probably realized this just wouldn't be worth it if he was unable to ally himself with Hitler.

sqeecoo

Arcane
I tried playing poland and suffered an ignoble defeat. A let's play would be short and entertainingly desperate. Maybe I could do it, even. I don't know how to do screens though. Does print screen work?

Nedrah

Erudite
Yes, but it's a pain in the ass, because you have to paste it into paint and save it from there for every screen.

Grab <a href="http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_downloads_13010723.html">FRAPS</a> instead and give it a go!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I blatandly ripped off the op's idea and started playing as Finland. It has so far managed to survive the winter war, but it was a close one. As soon as the war is under way the soviets will send huge reinforcements to the front. Outnumbering your forces by a huge margin.

I got through it by focusing my research on infantry, arctic warfare and industry. Then built some new infantry divisions, plenty of artillery and some at guns. All the while spending quite a lot of ic's on upgrading my infantry when new tech became available.

As soon as the war started I launched an offensive cutting off the forces in murmansk. I then captured murmansk encircling around 10 soviet divisions in the frosen north. Soviet reinforcements started to arrive in huge numbers so I stopped my offensives and dug in at the southern front while I quicly mopped up the encircled divisions in the north.

My navy never came in contact with any hostile forces during the conflict. They spend the war patrolling the northern baltic. I also recieved an outdated interceptor wing that became my own luftwaffe. They lasted one battle, since the soviets send huge fleets of bombers that had around 4 or 5 wings of fighters with them.

I couldn't do much against the bombers, so I just had to live with it. The soviets in the meantime attacked with only 3 or 4 divisions at a time. These attacks were repulsed so easily that I decided to go on the offensive again. Big mistake, my attack ended depleting my forces and when it broke off the soviets began a huge counterattack with everyhting they seemed to have.

Had to retreat like crazy and managed to create a new frontline just outside of my capital. It was a miracle that they didn't overrun me, but I managed to hold them there untill the peace talks event.

I started out quickly gaining 4 or 5 russian provinces, but lost them all after my disastrous attack. I utterly underestimated their numbers and power. It was a great game to play so far, and I'm looking forward to operation Barberossa. My Finnish troops age for revenge.

PS In other news, I just moved from a two room appartment to a huge 4 room one. It's great!

obediah

Erudite
Damnit, I guess I'll need to step up and lead this thread.

I don't have time to reinstall all this stuff though, so here goes:

We're all like Build! Build! Build! Think! Think! Think! Train! Train!

Then the commies were all like Chargezky!!!!!!! bang bang bang!!

And we were like "ow, ugh, I'm dead".

Then our research completed and we retrofitted our troops, and they were like "cool, snowshoes!" kapow!

And the russians were like, "OMG!!!!!!!! Run Aawazky!"

What should we do next?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I play as Ireland now... damn, thats kind of boring.
1940 and I dont even have an Infantry division nor any means to transport it. Just sitting here, year after year, waiting for technologies to be researched and some things to happen. Sure, there are wars going on, but I cant reach them ;)

Maybe Ireland was a bad choice ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom