Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play HOI3: The Great Potato War (Completed)

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
hoi3game2011-06-2304-30-14-22.jpg

Hey! This is my hood. :salute:

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Raep incoming. Either that, or France does a quick bust and cripples the Reich enough for you to shorten your defensive border.

Cassidy

Arcane
On the matter of armored divisions.

I missed how many times the lone light armor division saved Poland during the 1939s in that HoI2 LP I did. Resilience to soft attacks shouldn't be underestimated. If the country you're playing has huge manpower, a 99.99% INF + HQs "zerg" buildup isn't a bad idea, but in extreme cases of a disproportionatedly high IC for low MP, for example, I learned that building Mountain DIVs and armor works much better. That is how I steamrolled both France and Poland by October 1939 once.

However, when you face a too wide front, like Poland, then it's better to stick to INF.

Also, although I wonder whether it was wise or not, in my LP I focused IC first on upgrading all obsolete 1918 standard infantry divs before the war because those are totally worthless, and I dunno what has changed in comparison to HoI2. Of course having started in September 1938 according to popular vote, I didn't want to risk having to hold a strategic province with 1918 tech infantry.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Sorry to say this bro, but you're basically fucked. Seeing the battle progresses in the screenshot means your first line of defense will be pushed back, which is basically the only battle you really need to win. Germany will be in Warsaw in 1 month, tops. Also, 0 manpower? Auch. 84% officer ratio? Germany should have 100%+ at this point, so yeah.

Then again, muchos kudos if you manage to actually get a result of some kind.

Cassidy

Arcane
lphoi2octf012.jpg

Personally I'm more into forsaking Danzig, but not before seizing the rest of East Prussia, encircling whatever is there and then making a retreat to the east of the Vistula, while trying to hold Krakow(something I didn't succeed at in my LP because I underestimated how many DIVs I should have placed in Krakow to hold it) and taking whatever opportunity appears to encircle more Krauts and retake ground.

With the much larger amount of provinces in HoI3, I'm not sure if this still remains a viable strategy, but in HoI2 I managed to, in a 1936 scenario rather than in the game of that screenshot, survive the German offensive and later drive them back to Berlin through this approach rather than trying to defend Danzig and the territory west of the Vistula.

The Great Potato War

hoi3game2011-06-2304-58-51-01.jpg

The outset of the war has our forces attacked by the Nazis at multiple points.

hoi3game2011-06-2304-59-13-33.jpg

The French have no resistance in Western Germany. Our job may be to just hold against the German advance while the French advance.

hoi3game2011-06-2304-59-42-74.jpg

We begin our advance into East Prussia with next to zero resistance... just one division of infantry along our border.

hoi3game2011-06-2304-59-47-32.jpg

And the Germans are throwing the kitchen sink at us, but we still have the advantage in numbers.

hoi3game2011-06-2304-59-57-25.jpg

But the Southern front looks bleak. They moved numerous armored corps down there to force a breakthrough.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-04-03-76.jpg

The French have advanced somewhat, but the Germans are mobilizing forces to respond. The French should still be able to force a breakthrough there and have a free run of Central Germany.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-04-37-91.jpg

We make a run toward Konigsberg and Memel to close off Eastern Prussia to supplies.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-06-06-63.jpg

We suffer our first defeats. We are forced to withdraw a bit, but we have a short line of forts in Northern Poland to mount a defense from.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-06-55-38.jpg

That one infantry division will cause us nothing but trouble in Konigsberg. We take the time to move a few more troops away from East Prussia to face the German invasion.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-08-29-74.jpg

Our forces in the North are doing fairly well.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-09-03-73.jpg

We are getting forced back and the Italians are coming to assist the Germans against the French. Their advance will most likely stop.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-09-26-81.jpg

The South is going against us as well.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-12-33-11.jpg

The first breakthrough in our lines. Central Poland is now open to the German invaders.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-24-00-36.jpg

The North begins to turn against us as well... This is not looking good for the Potato Corps.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-25-45-17.jpg

The first in our line of Northern forts fall. Could this spell the end for the Land of Potato?

hoi3game2011-06-2305-26-01-51.jpg

A couple of weeks into the war. We have been forced steadily back from the border.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-26-11-13.jpg

The gap in our lines widen.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-26-34-80.jpg

The French advance stops a few provinces into Germany. We can expect no help from them, and the faithless Brits have offered us nothing but moral support in our military endeavor, after starting this war in the first place.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-27-27-69.jpg

The mighty forces of Potatoland are being pushed back in the South as well. Without assistance, we are destined to be ruled by the Potato-hating Germans.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-29-13-25.jpg

Our territory is shrinking by the hour, as the relentless German Blitzkrieg routs our forces.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-30-01-05.jpg

The road to Warsaw is still closed, but we are now on the last line of defense.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-30-12-32.jpg

We have cleared most of East Prussia... but that provides little help.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-31-15-22.jpg

Southern Poland is lost.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-31-32-96.jpg

And the line finally breaks in the North, leaving Danzig to a horrible fate.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-31-39-05.jpg

The jewel of Southern Poland, Krakow, has been overtaken by Nazis.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-32-03-98.jpg

2607_danzig.jpg

hoi3game2011-06-2305-33-50-99.jpg

hoi3game2011-06-2305-33-57-85.jpg

The Germans are trying (and succeeding) to encircle a large portion of our Army, which will end any form of resistance in the North.

What follows is a series of Corps shattered and provinces lost.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-41-20-85.jpg

Their encirclement catches 45 infantry brigades and numerous HQs... The Potato Army is broken.

hoi3game2011-06-2305-41-50-78.jpg

The Polish warriors fall back to Warsaw in an attempt for one last defense of their homeland...

hoi3game2011-06-2305-42-23-90.jpg

The Battle of Warsaw goes much like the war... we were woefully unprepared, underequipped, and misled. Warsaw fell... but the might Poles refuse to surrender! They form a government in exile...

The Polish War lasted about five weeks and ended in the total defeat of the Polish Army. Their defense did not lack in enthusiasm, but with poor leadership and an outdated military, they were destined for defeat against the far superior German forces. Receiving no assistance from the aggressors of this war, the British, Poland was split between the Germans and the Russians. The French advance on the Western Front was stalled shortly after it began, partly in thanks to Italian assistance, and partly due to French incompetence.

Before

potato-recipes.jpg

After

mashed_potatoes.png

Probably do a different LP, get better at the game, then try again in the future. Basically, I would love to hear from the others what went so wrong. I know that I devoted far too many resources to infantry, and maybe should have put more into forts... The Poles can't hope to win an offensive war, which is kind of what I was playing at. That was my first game as a non-major, and I think it showed. Napoleon I am not.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You did this wrong: Minors are already fucked over in the basic game as well. Less than 12 leadership is a death sentence, as you can't keep up even a decent army much less expand it. You will also most likely lack an air force and have zero chance of ever having a navy. My tentative fix for this has been to add a +50% leadership modifier to anyone who isn't one of the majors. Though I'm going to look into it some more.

You could also wait for For The Motherland, since it's released next week. With it, you couldn't still keep on fighting as the resistance.

Also, playing on Very Easy is pretty much a requirement when fighting against either the Soviet Union or Germany with anyone except Japan, UK or USA.

Well I'm thinking I'll try France for my next LP, and make it a bit more interactive (with votes on crucial points). Would you Bros support that? They seem to be just a better off Poland.

TripJack

Hedonist
go for it bro

i played as france a few times in hoi2 (never played 3) and it's not so bad, although using ones foreknowledge to extend and improve the maginot line is a bit boring

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Probably do a different LP, get better at the game, then try again in the future. Basically, I would love to hear from the others what went so wrong. I know that I devoted far too many resources to infantry, and maybe should have put more into forts... The Poles can't hope to win an offensive war, which is kind of what I was playing at. That was my first game as a non-major, and I think it showed. Napoleon I am not.

As I've said. The only way I ever achieved something with Poland on Normal was to turtle myself in, don't add to your army because it's a death-sentence when you have 0 manpower and an officer ratio beneath 140%. Just built forts (try to build em on the river provinces and then just build em south to the easternmost province of Slovakia), you should be able to get level 3-4 forts in every province before the war breaks out. Russia asking for territory must be new, because they didn't do that in my playthrough (early days of SF, if I remember correctly), but even with that it should leave you with quite some VP's, because the Ruskies just straight out annex it instead of occupying it.

Anyway, good show, will read the next one.

Vaarna_Aarne

Seems I'll have to mod Poland as well, should I be provided with adequete directions. One thing that's important to notice is that the manpower pool for minors is FUBAR (for historical strength, Finland for example needs to start with nearly 600 manpower from get-go), which is not fatal for Finland (due to limited infrastructure in the East), but it is for Poland even with improved leadership. Not even turtling like there's no limit can be sure to stop being defeated easily (and this is only without adding the Soviet invasion from the East). In general, I'd like to improve the representation of Finland, Poland, Hungary and Romania.

Btw, anyone know where the base leadership a country gets is defined (the points that aren't given by provinces)? It'd be helluva lot better to use that than to just modify provincial leadership.

I don't think Poland can move that far, especially since Germany can declare war by event. You can avoid war by giving up Danzig, but since the UK declared war and not Germany, I was stuck.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, it's impossible for Poland to drift either to the Axis or the Comintern (these two block the Danzig or War! decision).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom