Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lets Play The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

DraQ

Arcane
BloodyPuppy said:
I thought Morrowind was okay (though definitely greatly improved by mods), though it was definitely the start of the depressing trend of dumbing down we see in Bethesda's games today.
It was somewhat dumbed down when compared with Daggerfall, I suspect rushing it rather than conscious simplification here, but it still was a proper RPG. And the brilliant TES lore peaked in MW.

WalterKinde

Scholar
can't wait for more updates.
If you wanted a challenge and don't want to use mods then a magick using Breton would have been the challenge run.
Near impossible at the beginning not to die.

Anyhow i assume this is just the main quest and you don't plan to do the side , House, temple or vampire quests?

BloodyPuppy

Scholar
DraQ said:
BloodyPuppy said:
I thought Morrowind was okay (though definitely greatly improved by mods), though it was definitely the start of the depressing trend of dumbing down we see in Bethesda's games today.
It was somewhat dumbed down when compared with Daggerfall, I suspect rushing it rather than conscious simplification here, but it still was a proper RPG. And the brilliant TES lore peaked in MW.
Yeah, the RPG elements being dumbed down was the trend I was talking about. The lore was really good though. Oblivion unfortunately fucked both aspects up.

Radisshu

Prophet
I recently started playing Morrowind again. I created the class NAKED BERSERKER, but it got old pretty quickly.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Update:

I have fixed the crashing bug, and have made it through the census office. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to play, but we're making progress, so let's continue!

As we approach the Census Office, one of the guards asks us exactly who and where we are from, as they don't seem to have records on me.

ScreenShot7.jpg

(A lot of the other Wood Elf faces were pretty ugly, this is my first time playing one and I believe I chose the lesser of evils)

As we head through the Census Office, there is a man in robes there waiting for my arrival.

ScreenShot8.jpg

His name, Socucius Ergalla, and he says that he needs more information to register me.

ScreenShot9.jpg

He shows me some forms, all being descriptions of people with various talents. None of them, however, seem to have any relevancy to me, so I get a form and start to fill it out.

ScreenShot10.jpg

ScreenShot11.jpg

ScreenShot12.jpg

After making some changes and putting some more thought into my talents, I am finished, and Ergalla hands me my registration papers. He tells me to see a man named Gravius in the next building

ScreenShot13.jpg

As I leave his office and enter a dining area, I find a dagger, and take a look at my stats for the beginning of the game.

ScreenShot14.jpg

Also, as luck would have it, I was able to find a lockpick and open up a chest containing some more septims!

ScreenShot15.jpg

ScreenShot16.jpg

I head on out through the buildings door, and see a barrel next to the building up ahead, since no one is around, I decide to search it and see if it contains anything else that might help establish me in Morrowind.

ScreenShot17.jpg

Excellent! a magic ring, should be worth a bit of gold to someone. Still ecstatic from my discovery, I enter the next building where Gravius awaits

ScreenShot18.jpg

I talk to him about who he is, the empire, our emperor, and it looks like they've already assigned me duties to a man named Caius Cosades in a town called Balmora. He also hands me some directions, a package for Caius, as well as some more gold. Despite all of this, I still have no idea where I am currently at.

ScreenShot20.jpg

Grabbing all the stuff he gave me and stuffing it into my pockets, I exit the building and step out into Morrowind, a free man.

ScreenShot21.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How anyone can stand playing Morrowind without any graphic mods is beyond me. Seriosuly, the character models and faces are fugly, mods can fix it. A few gameplay mods wouldn't hurt, either.

Witchblade

Scholar
There's one good reason for playing MW as a Breton: Boots of Blinding Speed.

As if I don't have enough other gaming to catch up with, I recently started a leisurely replay in order to do the Vampire and Wherewolf quests. It feels like too much of a grind redoing everything to get there, though. Mebbe I shld try and find a saved game somewhere.

Or maybe I shld rather finish NWN2 so that I can finally get to MOTB. :roll:

Anyway, nice screenshots, but you're going to be posting a cartload of shots if you carry on at this rate... :P

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
How anyone can stand playing Morrowind without any graphic mods is beyond me. Seriosuly, the character models and faces are fugly, mods can fix it. A few gameplay mods wouldn't hurt, either.
Don't be a graphics whore. I barely use any graphics mods - just better bodies and Liztail's body replacer for beast races, but even wthout those I wouldn't have any problems. I wouldn't say no to a face replacer, but so far I haven't found one 100% true to the original.

As for gamplay mods, WGI modular is a must. You can play without it, it's not oblivion, after all, but why would you do such a thing? It's better to have, for example, broken spell effevts fixed than not. Seek out halberds revamped too.

DiverNB

Liturgist
I was thinking just maybe a mod that increases attributes at an even rate, but to be honest, I've always played Morrowind with 0 mods.

Also, sorry for the different resolutions, I think I'm going to just leave them at 1280x960.

Also, I'm not really sure WHAT I intend to do with this LP. A lot of the quest lines are lengthy already, so it just might be chronicling me doing what I feel like at the moment, dabbling into a bit of the houses, guilds, and MQ. Maybe this will go through all of MW and the expansions, it's hard to say.

Helton

Arcane
DiverNB said:
I was thinking just maybe a mod that increases attributes at an even rate, but to be honest, I've always played Morrowind with 0 mods.

Also, sorry for the different resolutions, I think I'm going to just leave them at 1280x960.

Also, I'm not really sure WHAT I intend to do with this LP. A lot of the quest lines are lengthy already, so it just might be chronicling me doing what I feel like at the moment, dabbling into a bit of the houses, guilds, and MQ. Maybe this will go through all of MW and the expansions, it's hard to say.

Galsiah's Character Development is really the only must-use mod.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Update time!

When we last left off, we had just gotten released by the imperials and were ready to begin making a name for ourselves in Morrowind.

I felt the best thing to do now was speak to the locals and gather some information on where I was and what there was to do in Morrowind. Whoever Caius was, he could wait a day or two.

I spotted a fellow wood elf out of the crowd and decided it might be best to talk to one of my own people.

ScreenShot22.jpg

ScreenShot23.jpg

I decide to give him back his ring, he was kind enough to answer my questions, and wood elves have to stick together, y'know?

Speaking to the other locals doesn't turn up much, just something about a place called Solsthiem up in the north (Who'd want to freeze there ass off?)

ScreenShot24.jpg

ScreenShot25.jpg

Fargoth however also gave me a good name over at the trade house, and I could spare to sell a thing or two for some equipment.

ScreenShot26.jpg

ScreenShot27.jpg

I pick up a bow, a silver short sword, and two pieces of imperial armor which fit me pretty well. The Iron Shortsword was sharper, but if I happen to come across any ethereals or other such spirits in my travels, the Iron sword will have no effects.

I head on up stairs and see a band of mercenaries who help the guards to protect Seyda Neen, I speak with their leader, Hriskar. He says he has a job for me to recover some gold...

ScreenShot28.jpg

It appears they shake the locals down for protection money every so often, and Fargoth my wood elf brother doesn't want to pay it. Wood Elves need to stick together...but I also need the cash. I accept his job. He tells me Fargoth has a hiding place, but isn't quite sure where, he just knows it has to be in town because Fargoth is a little on the frail side. He tells me the light house has a spectacular view, so I go outside and decide to explore before nightfall.

ScreenShot29.jpg

ScreenShot30.jpg

ScreenShot31.jpg

ScreenShot32.jpg

What an experience so far! Someone left an enchanted axe in a stump, should fetch a good price at the tradehouse. Now, up to the light house

ScreenShot33.jpg

ScreenShot34.jpg

ScreenShot35.jpg

ScreenShot36.jpg

It seems as if Fargoth is hiding his stuff in the old tree stump, perhaps closer inspection will reveal something useful.

ScreenShot37.jpg

It's hollow! It also contained 300 gold and a magic ring, I take everything, and report back to Hrisskar

ScreenShot39.jpg

He takes 200 gold and leaves me 100, I feel a bit jipped, but it's better then nothing.

The night is still young and I'm still a little restless from my journey. Remember what Arelle said earlier about bandits on the outside of town, I venture forth to see what I can find.

ScreenShot41.jpg

ScreenShot42.jpg

I kill the guard and take her key, wonder what it opens?

ScreenShot43.jpg

ScreenShot44.jpg

Slaves! I free them, and then delve deeper into the cave

I killed another guard, but then a mage came charging after me. Her spells were too powerful for me in my current state, so I bolted from the cave and headed for the silt strider at the top of town and took it to Balmora.

ScreenShot48.jpg

ScreenShot49.jpg

We've arrived! I repair my equipment, and then head off to the South Wall Corner Club, supposedly where Caius hangs out.
ScreenShot51.jpg

ScreenShot52.jpg

I speak to the owner and he tells me Caius lives in a little hole in the wall not too far from here

ScreenShot53.jpg

This is Caius?! There must be some mistake, this is just a shirtless skooma head.

ScreenShot54.jpg

Talking to him however, reveals that he is actually a part of the blades, a secret arm of the imperial legion. What's more, is that he wants me to join them! If they had wanted me as an agent, they didn't have to jail me, they could've just as easily asked. Frustrated, I give a short yes and ask for some more information on trainers. Seems like they have people all over, and that Caius already has some jobs for me.

Stay tuned!

DiverNB

Liturgist
Update:

Bad News guys, my current saved games got corrupted somehow. Those updates were from earlier today and I installed mods after that. I'm not sure if they are the cause, but I cannot get into either of my saved games. (Its kind of ok though, the wood elf wasn't too fun.)

Would anyone mind if I just got to the same spot but as someone else and just picked up from there?

DiverNB

Liturgist
I did, as well as that WGI mod.

Ill spend the rest of tonight getting back to where I was on the wood elf, updates tomorrow!

Witchblade

Scholar
DraQ said:
JarlFrank said:
Don't be a graphics whore. I barely use any graphics mods - just better bodies and Liztail's body replacer for beast races, but even wthout those I wouldn't have any problems. I wouldn't say no to a face replacer, but so far I haven't found one 100% true to the original.

As for gamplay mods, WGI modular is a must. You can play without it, it's not oblivion, after all, but why would you do such a thing? It's better to have, for example, broken spell effevts fixed than not. Seek out halberds revamped too.

Seeing as my first playthru was completely vanilla, no internet, I just honestly can't be bothered. Ppl who fiddle with mods tend to end up fiddling more with the mods than playing the actual game, which can be fun in itself (the fiddling and experimenting with mods), I admit.
But mods can stuff you around, if a serious playthrough is intended, as has just been proven in this thread.

Flip, DriverNB, where the crap did you find that shardaxe? I've never found that one before! (Ok in a tree-stump, but where's the stump?)
Why do you bother taking the cash back to Hrisskar? I just always keep the full amount. Especially as cash tends to be in short supply at the start.

oscar

Arcane
It gets rather good when you get into the main quest as you vist some really atmospheric and pretty (not pretty as having more bloom then normal but pretty as in intresting art direction and feel) locations.

DraQ

Arcane
Witchblade said:
But mods can stuff you around, if a serious playthrough is intended, as has just been proven in this thread.

I'm very picky in regards to my mods. They must preserve the look and feel of original game and be lore-compatible at the very least. The only extra landmass-content mod I have installed is Hagge, though I'm going to install TR as well. Other than that there are several small mods adding various items (balanced and not conflicting with the lore). The rest are two body replacers, one weapon replacer and bunch of various fixes.

Flip, DriverNB, where the crap did you find that shardaxe? I've never found that one before! (Ok in a tree-stump, but where's the stump?)
The one in the pond just behind the lighthouse.

DiverNB

Liturgist
The GWI mod is pretty cool, and I also like the mod you suggested Draq (No leveling!). It really does make the game feel more immersive and seamless.

New character in a Nord warrior, and I leave the rest up to you Codex. What should Nicholas the frozen warrior from the North do next?

A)Fighters Guild
B) Work with Caius
C) Join the Imperial Legion
D) Other

The choice is yours!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom