Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play The Immortal. And stuffies.

Black Cat

Magister
I'll be updating tomorrow, sorry about the slight delay.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
prettypleasespider.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
cool eyes. Is that a reflection or are they transparent? You know the fur inside the bottom part of the eye.

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the seventh; Adventure seeker Neko on the spider dungeon quest!
In which I couldn't think of an actual title so I just came up with the most obscure cool manga reference I could think of.

The sixth level is, more or less, four different challenges, each one with its own room, so this will be quite short, and the next two chapters will be, too, as the next one is composed of just one very delayed encounter, one important duel, and the norlac sequence and the last one is just the final battle. In any case, this one level begins with us on a kind of inverted L shaped corridor in which two holes can be seen. Every now and then two spider legs can be seen coming out a hole to do something with the webs around the entrances. Obviously, we shouldn't enter such a hole.

immortal002g.jpg

immortal003g.jpg

immortal004g.jpg

immortal005g.jpg

immortal006g.jpg

The timing is kind of difficult, as most of the time the legs come out in the hole closer to where you are. So the best way to solve this part is to stand only slightly closer to the one you are not going to use and wait, and as soon as the legs start coming out you run into the other one. If your position was correct and the reactions fast enough you will get to the next room. On this one there are two dangers, Eggsacks and the big spider herself. The former is kind of a mine and will be the main danger on the next two rooms.

immortal007g.jpg

immortal008g.jpg

immortal009g.jpg

immortal010g.jpg

immortal011g.jpg

Yuck. The later one, meanwhile, just kind of stands there, her flanks protected by the eggsacks. If we try to approach she will raise on her hind legs and shoot web at us, again ending the adventure. This part can kind of stump some players, as it's nothing but a matter of timing and of going against what your instincts are telling you to be smart.

immortal012g.jpg

immortal013ge.jpg

immortal014g.jpg

What we do is to place us very close to the southernmost eggsack and then move up. As soon as she begins the preparing to shoot web animation we run back down, and she will miss us, and as soon as the web being shot animation starts playing up we run back up and get close to her, moment in which the game will go into melee combat mode. There is not a lot of strategy on this battle, however: She will wildly throw hits at you and you must wildly throw hits at her, and whomever hits the keys the most will defeat the other, as there's no dodging or anything there.

immortal015g.jpg

immortal016g.jpg

immortal017g.jpg

immortal018g.jpg

immortal019g.jpg

immortal020g.jpg

We now go down the ladder and into the next room, which is kind of simple. There are a couple of eggsacks, a chest, and a bottle. If we get close to the chest the game will tell us something seems to be crawling under the lid, and ask us whether we want to open it or not. Opening it results in just the same than walking into an eggsack does. Instead, we walk to the left and around the eggsack to get the bottle, containing alcohol. Then we return to the chest and pick to use the bottle. First the game will ask us whether we want to drink it or not, and we pick, obviously, no. Then it will ask us whether we want to pour it into the chest, and we pick yes. That somehow kills the spiders inside.

immortal021g.jpg

Upon opening it we receive eighty gold pieces and a levitation scroll, along with which is a note.

Avoid cobwebs and egg sacks. Use levitation to float through the hall of webs.

By now it should be obvious someone is leaving those chests behind for the wizard to find and then be able to move forward, deeper into the dungeon. We pick all the contents and then climb down the next ladder, into the hall of webs thingie mentioned in that note.

As soon as you touch the floor you must open the inventory and use the levitation scroll, as simply touching the floor for a second or so will trigger death by eggsack, to give it a name. Levitating will allow us to navigate the corridor alive but we must still evade the eggsacks, as hitting any of those will also result in instant death. Finally, a levitating wizard is pretty much as hard to steer as a flying carpet: He rebounds from walls and has horrible inertia, so you must change speeds and directions a whole lot, given there's no cheating this room as we cheated the carpet segment and any death will result in us moving to the previous room and just before entering this one, meaning we will have to restart the segment. Ah, and if you fly slowly you will not get beyond the halfway point or so, so you need to go fast, and you can't memorize the placement of the eggsacks as they seem to change every try, or at least every time you restart the level with the password.

And, yes, I almost forgot: Note that there are eggsacks where the wall and the isometric viewpoint obscure the view. That's awesome. Every time your dodging take you there your subconsious starts praying.

immortal022g.jpg

immortal023g.jpg

immortal024g.jpg

However, with the game still kind of fresh on my mind this segment is easier than expected. Note, however, you must not reach the end just as the spell finishes. You need some extra time to steer yourself to a place next to the ladder, so you can climb in just one second and keystroke when the spell ends, and then manage to stop yourself in such position, otherwise you will die before climbing the ladder into the last room.

immortal025g.jpg

This room contains nothing but two ladders and a straw bed, so we do what's expected from us and go to sleep.

The goblins you met on the last level had asked you to help them flush a monster out of their water supply. But where is their water supply?

It would have been of help to ask them, o mighty wizard. :roll:

You sense as you approach the next level that water is near...

Magical senses are no excuse to not have asked them, so don't try that one on me! In any case, next we climb down the ladder that's not the one we did climb up to escape the hall of webs, and thus we are finished with this level.

immortal026g.jpg

immortal001g.jpg

Next time we meet we will find none other than Dunric himself, though in a pretty sad situation, and we will also get spelled that things aren't exactly as we thought as we face an unexpected foe in battle. Finally, tentacles and barrel races and suicidal escape methods!

'til next time, etc.

Now unto the dialogue wheel.

@ Le petit furet

Did you play The Immortal, little ferret? You aren't just cute but hardcore, too.

@ Mrowak

Goblin jesus on a pogo stick, what the fuck is that thing? Now I'm scared to enter my own thread without scrolling straight to the last post. I'm totally not a Sluagh. :cry:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Goblin jesus on a pogo stick, what the fuck is that thing? Now I'm scared to enter my own thread without scrolling straight to the last post. I'm totally not a Sluagh. Cry

Awww... you're little unfair. Prodrush the little Wolf Spider merely wanted to express his support to this fine LP and incidentally invite everyone to Kodex Kommunikation Konverter thread

Another great episode, btw... :salute:

lightbane

Arcane
I would like to know what would happen if someone released an updated version of this game with shiny graphics, increased difficulty and gore (think Ninja Gaiden's combat but with a character that's much weaker than Ryu)...

Of course, it would need lots of hype to work.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
@La chatte noire

Baby, I played that one in the '90s. It helped me as a youth to understand the concepts of injustice and how fun it can be. I even replayed it not long ago and wasn't too bad at it.

I still dislike the octopus though. Vile thing.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Those levels are quite short it seems. Well without any saves its to be expected. Good job!

spekkio

Arcane
These death animations weren't gruesome enough.

:rpgcodex:

We need moar...

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the eight+th; Tentacles get into everything, eventually.

We are in the seventh floor, now, and the game will end in the, uhm, eight+th? In any case, we are almost there! And this level is the shortest so far, too. As soon as the wizard reaches there, however, he is witness to a troll stabing the prisoner he was, until then, watching over before charging against him. He is weak, however, and the wizard makes short work of him. As soon as the battle is over we go over to the badly hurt guy and talk to him.

immortal002h.jpg

immortal003h.jpg

immortal004h.jpg

immortal005h.jpg

lifts his head. He seems to know you.

"I am Dunric." he falters. "I sent my servant to warn you. Mordamir isn't a prisoner... He kidnapped my daughter... tried to threaten... he is manipulating... If I had my ring I could... but... my servant..."

So the guy we found in the begining was actually Dunric's servant, who was trying to warn us about Mordamir but was killed before being able to, either by the Goblins or by Mordamir's servant, who was fighting the goblins not far from that place.

The game then asks us whether we want or not to give him his ring, and we obviously do.

Dunric mutters an incantation, then lowers his head. Three spells appear in front of you: Body Statue, Magnetic Hands, and Sonic Protection. Dunric is still.

Body Statue has six charges, while the others just have one each. Those spells are very important, as without them it is basicaly impossible to survive the second half of the final battle. Also, note that the spells are protective or utilitary. This will be a pretty passive final battle, for us at least.

In any case, with that done we climb down the only ladder, other than the one we came through. Beneath we come across a long room with just two things of interest: A straw bed and Mordamir's servant, waiting in ambush for us. This is not going to end well... For him.

immortal006h.jpg

You found Dunric, did you? What did he tell you? He told you about Mordamir, didn't he? Then I'll have to kill you.

Sure, you'll have to. :roll:

immortal007h.jpg

immortal008h.jpg

He has no special death animation, which is kind of meh, but at least we defeat him without any kind of effort and then we go to sleep in the nearby straw bed.

You lie uncomfortably for a long time, wondering what dreams will visit you. You unwillingly fall asleep thinking about the city of fountains you dreamt of three long days ago...

You are inside a room, at a meeting between city officials and wizards. The officials want water access. They are planning a siege. The wizards are arguing over a weapon they have created. There is some problem with it.

There is one big problem with it, actually.

The dream changes.

You see a wall of fire. Now, in the flames, you see men attacking dragons. There is a flash. All are dead. You see another attack. Defending himself, a dragon incinerates the army, but then another flash kills him instantly. Armies block the exits of the dungeons, trapping the dragons inside.

One escapes...

If that reminds you of something, well, you are right about it. This is also the only hint we will ever get, other than good old trial and error, about what we need to do right in the middle of the final battle, and also the only hint, other than common sense and good old trial and error, about how not to do it. Then we awake and go down the room until we find a new ladder, which we climb down. We land in a flooded tunnel, in a barrel which we will move and steer with our staff.

To the south of this ladder is the whirpool the goblins mentioned. We do not get close to it, instead going north and following the twisting corridor while getting as familiar as we can with the barrel's horrible controls. Then we come to the end of the corridor, a more open area with both what looks like a sewer entrance and a huge metal door with one of those round thingies you see a lot in submarine movies. The Norlac is also there.

immortal009h.jpg

immortal010h.jpg

immortal011h.jpg

This is not easy. First, you need to get as close as him as possible and then start moving on the opposite direction, so that the inertia of your movement towards him takes you the last couple of pixels separating you from the point which will trigger the Norlac going underwater and trying to eat you. That way, and given you started moving back to the corridor even before he submerged you will have a good deal of advantage.

Now you have to navigate the entire twisty corridor back to the ladder with him on your tail. If he gets too close you will get instakilled, so you must advancing in such a way that you do not waste any time at all: Going a bit further in a turn, for example, instead of turning on it almost touching the wall can kill you, and any kind of wasted movement can kill you too. Also, touching the walls will make you lose control a bit, meaning it will kill you.

I did not get me intentionally killed on this segment because, really, I knew I would get several times so without any effor on my part, and wanted to minimize the number of level restarts. I did pretty well, actually, considering I did not need to restart even once, as I did it right on the last life.

On the first try I almost did it...

immortal012h.jpg

immortal013h.jpg

immortal014h.jpg

immortal015h.jpg

immortal016h.jpg

On the second try I failed badly and did not even managed to get near the ladder. On the third try, however, I navigated it all perfectly and got to the ladder. However, you should not try to climb it, as I never actually managed to do so. You should instead ride your barrel into the whirpool! The Norlac, being really smart, will follow you, though the screenshot of his tentacles on the small hole did not really work out so I did not include it.

immortal017h.jpg

You hear a voice. Could you be dreaming?

I would rather ask, could I be drowning?

You remember the raging current of the vortex pulling you toward a hole in the floor. But now it is quiet. Time has passed... You sense that someone or something is nearby.

Two somethings, actually. Or, say, one someone and one something.

immortal001h.jpg

And so ends this kind of shortish update. Next time we meet, the wizard and the only two survivors from that ancient feud he partly dreamed about just now will have a small metting. Jolly good time for everyone involved!

For everyone but Mordamir, actually.

'Til next time!

And now the dialogue wheel thingie.

@ Le Petit Furet

So, both hardcore and cute, and proud? I will have to visualize you like this...

ferrett-beret.jpg

... from now on.

:love:

The kawaisa is over nine thousand!

In any case, late congratulations for clearing The Immortal on your own! :3

@ Malakal

Yes, they are kind of shortish but you get to play through them many times until you get it right. At least you do when you are in the dark about how to play the game, though it's kind of frustrating when you fall down a ladder or get bugged just after the spider corridor and have to do the whole level again.

@ Crooked Bee

Thank you, miss Bee. :3

@ Lightbane

I don't know. The game's too much of a kind of brutal puzzle game rather than an action game, so morons would get frustrated by it, first, and then proclaim it has no replay value, later. There doesn't seem to be a big market for hardcore puzzle games anymore, really.

@ Kz3r0

Amusingly, I never knew about that one girl until after I joined Codexia, otherwise I would have picked a different name. She's kind of too playmate for a cat witch of good standing and breeding to be related to. :obviously:

But then the mere mention of cat + witch makes most people I know think of Soul Eater's Blair, so it's a really unlucky shtick and I should get a new one, super fasty fast.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:salute:
And what does the Magnetic Hands spell do? Or would that be a spoiler for you to tell us about that now?

Mordamir isn't a prisoner... He kidnapped my daughter... tried to threaten... he is manipulating...

Oh wow! Plot tweest.

BC said:
This is also the only hint we will ever get, other than good old trial and error, about what we need to do right in the middle of the final battle, and also the only hint, other than common sense and good old trial and error, about how not to do it.

That's cool, I like that kind of stuff. And that's why you're my favourite dungeon crawling neko around. :sisfist:

immortal016h.jpg

Poor old man. :/

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
@La Chatte Noire

immortal011h.jpg

NOOOOOO! It's him, the monster from my nightmares!

ferrett-beret.jpg

Now, talk about cute.

Not sure if it counts for clearing the game on my own because back then I discussed some of the levels with friends, exchanging tips and the like. That's what we used to do before our internets. Still I discovered a lot of stuff through trials and error, especially the later parts because the few acquaintances who played that game eventually dropped it in disgust :D

Oh and I love the music during the dragon encounter.

Kinda reminds me that The Immortal is one of those game that will be made much easier if you read the manual. I guess you can solve everything by trial and error but there are rather useful hints in there to solve some of the more obscure puzzles, like planting the spores in the dirt of the goblin king's room. There is even a walkthrough of the first level. The backstory is always nice to read too but I feel it removes a bit of the mystery by identifying Dunric right away.

Crooked Bee said:
And what does the Magnetic Hands spell do? Or would that be a spoiler for you to tell us about that now?

Now, that would be telling …

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:love:

But why have you abandoned my little LP, Kuroneko-sensei, why oh why oh why? The archdemons and puzzles and stuffies are eagerly waiting for you... /attentionwhore mode off

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom