Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read Let's Read: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Random

Arcane
Patron
-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

Random

Arcane
Patron
Bumping Vaarna's LRs almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
iw6yD.jpg

OqUpU.jpg

a7YFs.jpg

A16x3.jpg

09U17.jpg

ZzRm3.jpg

EbG1W.jpg

q1IHI.jpg

optX0.jpg

7Btkf.jpg

nj9A2.jpg

PQLXq.jpg

VRfcX.jpg

QqeYF.jpg

y07Ds.jpg

Gsa1o.jpg

nlbwi.jpg

bQ2Wz.jpg

gSJat.jpg

rU5ml.jpg

Z6xdD.jpg

ft7xI.jpg

CQB2V.jpg

McAlQ.jpg

dqaTF.jpg

8bijX.jpg

bp8y7.jpg

7H9ra.jpg

Tmih2.jpg

PP6LV.jpg

cUaWF.jpg

x4l84.jpg

trZp5.jpg

PkQYI.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Don't worry, they're together again by the time Black Dossier starts, AND they're forever young due to drinking from the fountain of youth.

Random

Arcane
Patron
You know, the lack of Frankenstein's Creature is somewhat disappointing.

Vaarna_Aarne

Committed suicide/sticks to the North Pole, so he's not available. Unlike the movie, the comic wouldn't just slap in someone like Dorian Grey (you can actually spot his painting at the Museum).

Vaarna_Aarne

Hyde doesn't like you gooks because you're always looking out for other gooks.

But on a serious note, I've promised to start JLA next, so no Black Dossier or Century.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's a bit derp to remove all the interesting characters in order to keep the "paladin"-type uninteresting main characters. I'm not entirely clear on why Nemo left anyway. He has no compuction slaughtering people in the name of England, giving England airstrike capability, etc. But a germ bomb?! OH NOEZ.

I loved War of the Worlds. It's still a very readable book today. Incredibly imaginative and highly evocative. I'm not sure this reinterpretation makes sense. How would we know anthrax and streptococcus would take out Martians? There was a huge poetry about it being "the common cold" in the book, now it's just kind of a nonsense leap of faith. Not to mention that since there are still living people there the disease has a pretty high probability of spreading.

Poorly thought-through, IMO.

Good comics tho'. Sad there'll be no more updates.

Vaarna_Aarne

Actually there would be no living people. The super-disease kills everyone in the area and nobody is alive to spread it. Similarly, they used the super-hybrid (keep in mind that it's not antrax and streptococcus one-two, but a hybrid combining the strongest aspects of the two to a super-germ) because if anything THAT would kill all the Martians in a matter of hours no matter what. And everyone else there too.

FYI, Hyde was Moore's favourite character (Moore refers to him when talking of his comic version as the Honourable Mister Hyde), and if you ask his opinion he'd say Hyde was the closest to a "paladin" type of the all because he was the only one with a notable virtue to him, namely the fact that he was utterly honest with himself and held no ideas of being anything else.

As to why Nemo left... Keep in mind that he's a self-righteous ponce with childlike arrogance. He considered that being even remotely involved in the use of a germ-weapon would sully his honour.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's a bit derp to remove all the interesting characters in order to keep the "paladin"-type uninteresting main characters. I'm not entirely clear on why Nemo left anyway. He has no compuction slaughtering people in the name of England, giving England airstrike capability, etc. But a germ bomb?! OH NOEZ.

I loved War of the Worlds. It's still a very readable book today. Incredibly imaginative and highly evocative. I'm not sure this reinterpretation makes sense. How would we know anthrax and streptococcus would take out Martians? There was a huge poetry about it being "the common cold" in the book, now it's just kind of a nonsense leap of faith. Not to mention that since there are still living people there the disease has a pretty high probability of spreading.

Agreed, it seems that Moore's promises are better than his delivers. The first story was fantastic, but with a "okay-ish" ending, while this one is weaker, and with a even weaker ending. Stuff like this makes me less sad that he never finished TOP 10, as I would probably be dissapointed...still, I shall hunt Black Dossier to how he keeps up.

Vaarna_Aarne

Agreed, it seems that Moore's promises are better than his delivers. The first story was fantastic, but with a "okay-ish" ending, while this one is weaker, and with a even weaker ending. Stuff like this makes me less sad that he never finished TOP 10, as I would probably be dissapointed...still, I shall hunt Black Dossier to how he keeps up.
Vol 2 of LXG is overwhelmingly regarded as the best, and I concur with that notion. However, it's also uniformly accepted that the series hit major decline after that. Personally I fear it's because Alan Moore has shut himself too in and no longer has any ambition when writing comics. I especially worry about things when he explains the delay of the final album, the third chapter of Century, by saying that it's simply because he doesn't know enough about modern pop culture. Quite troubling. Hell, he could have stolen this from his fans:

loeg88.jpg

I'd buy dat shit instantly. I'd buy it seven times.

Vaarna_Aarne

Haven't read it yet, will look it up at some point. I was very disappointed with Century, so I'm on my toes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom