Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's write down the Unwritten Tales

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh and guise, I'd like to see more comments because I want to do only two updates per page, mostly because of photobucket bandwith reasons, and I don't want to have to bump to the next page all by myself after the next update.

taplonaplo

Scholar
I hate the gnome's guts, so i hope we will have a switch soon, but the game looks fun. Keep it up!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Update time!

Last time, Master Markus told us that we'll have to get three things in order to become a wizard. Jorge, the trader, also told us that we'd get rewarded if we eliminated the King of Thieves, who is a rat.

Let’s start the whole thing by asking Markus where to get the stuff he asked for.

Wilburavatar.jpg
Where could I buy a staff?
Wizardavatar.jpg
You can’t just buy any staff. The staff has to fit to the wizard. The staff picks the wizard, not the other way round. Ask Jorge the trader, maybe he has some – many good wizards died recently, so he should have a good selection in stock.
Wilburavatar.jpg
Do you still have an old robe I could wear?
Wizardavatar.jpg
Not in your size, little man. And it’s tradition that each wizard sews his own robe – you can’t imagine how silly most of them look in their self-made robes. Well, or without them, when a gust of wind comes around. Anyway, you’ll need magically treated cloth for the robe, which can only be sewn with magical needle and thread.
Wilburavatar.jpg
Hmm, I guess I will also need a pattern so I know how to make it… anyway, where am I going to get the gold?
Wizardavatar.jpg
If I knew where to get buckets of gold from, I’d have picked them up already.
Wilburavatar.jpg
Maybe you can let me work for you once I’ve gotten the robe and staff, until I’ve earned enough to pay you back?
Wizardavatar.jpg
Hah! Nobody could earn that much money by honest work.
Wilburavatar.jpg
So you want me to steal it?
Wizardavatar.jpg
Nah, there are many things in-between stealing and honest work. Go ask Wuppermann the showman. He earned a lot of money neither by stealing nor by honest work, just by exploiting the stupidity of his customers. *gives Wilbur a postcard*
Wilburavatar.jpg
A postcard?
Wizardavatar.jpg
It shows you the most important areas around Seefels so you can easily navigate the area around town.

Yay, a map!

Let’s have a look around Markus’ house before we go out. Let’s look at that table.

Wilburavatar.jpg
I wonder how many young students have studied to become a wizard at that table already…
Wizardavatar.jpg
Three.

Let’s look into the box on the left of the screen. Markus lets us search through it because there’s just some old magical junk in there he doesn’t need anymore. Wilbur takes out a magical needle with thread, and three differently-colored potions. There’s also a crystal ball which we can try to pick up, then Wilbur asks if you can see into the future with it.

Wizardavatar.jpg
Naah, it’s useless. It was just an advertising present. Take it if you want.

That’s it for the wizard’s house. There’s nothing else we can do in here for the moment. Well, we *can* drink the potions we’ve found.

Book123Resized.png

The first one only makes Wilbur’s skin change color for a while.

Book124Resized.png

Wilburavatar.jpg
Everything’s turning! Was this alcohol?

Nope, you’re just floating in the air and spinning around.

Useless. But the third potion makes us shrink – that might come in handy. Let’s leave the house no~

Book125Resized.png

Book126Resized.png

The King of Thieves! It’s a rat with a rapier, going on the trader’s nerves.

traderavatar-1.jpg
I’ll get you! I’ll get you, you little bastard, and if it’s the last thing I’ll ever do!

So, he’s pissed, eh?

Wilburavatar.jpg
Hi.
traderavatar-1.jpg
Why isn’t the rat dead yet?
Wilburavatar.jpg
Er… I’m working on it. Can I buy a wizard’s staff from you?

NOTE: At this point of the game, it turns out that I’ve actually mistranslated “Stab” as “staff” the whole time. It can also mean “wand”, which, in this case, it does, since Jorge will show us a bunch of wands, not big gnarly staffs.

traderavatar-1.jpg
Sorry, the wizard must be here when he buys a wand. The wand has to fit to the wizard, you know.
Wilburavatar.jpg
Well, I’m the wizard!
traderavatar-1.jpg
AHAHAHAHAHAHA! Good one.
Wilburavatar.jpg
No, really, I am. Show me the wands!

So, Jorge shows us a wand and Wilbur moves it around in the air to see if it spawns some magical sparks or something.

Book127Resized.png

It doesn’t. And neither does the second wand. Then the screen blacks out, the text “a while later” appears, and then the screen reappears with Wilbur unsuccessfully testing the last wand.

traderavatar-1.jpg
Give it up. You have not a single bit of magic in you.
Wilburavatar.jpg
That was just the fourth wand…
traderavatar-1.jpg
Yeah, and it was my last. I don’t have more than that. If you really want a wand that fits you, look somewhere else.

Hmm, damn. Well, of course, it would’ve been to easy to just buy it.

Wilburavatar.jpg
Do you have any magically treated cloth?
traderavatar-1.jpg
Sure, a lot of it.

YES

traderavatar-1.jpg
It’s 2 gold per thigh.

fuck

Wilburavatar.jpg
How much is one thigh?
traderavatar-1.jpg
About 4 ½ dwarven feet. Or one and a half tauren forearms. Or about 3/8ths of a gnome.

So, we’ll have to get the gold before we can get the cloth. Who could’ve guessed. Let’s go to the hole that leads down to the sewers…

Book128Resized.png

Wilburavatar.jpg
Somewhere down in the sewers I should find the King of Thieves. Too bad I’m too big to fit through the hole…

Are you? Well, what about that shrinking potion we picked up in Markus’ home? Wait, it’s actually called “world magnifying potion”. It doesn’t shrink Wilbur, it magnifies everything around him. Heh. Let’s take a sip and…

Wilburavatar.jpg
I’m not small enough to fit through.

Let’s take another sip then…

Wilburavatar.jpg
Hmm, this doesn’t change anything. Seems like the potion only raises the world to a certain size.

K
Let’s leave the city for now, then.

Book129Resized.png

Here’s the map, and that place that looks like a fairground is the place where we can meet that Wuppermann. Maybe he can be of some help to us.

Book130Resized.png

So, this is Wuppermann’s camp. The big fluffy thing in the lower left corner isn’t a bunch of straw, though, even though it looks like it. You can’t see it in the screenshot, but that thing is breathing. It’s a very very fat hamster in a cage. The empty cage to the right… well…

Book131Resized.png

Wilburavatar.jpg
Ziggy, the invisible pink squirrel. It bites. Stay back.

The cage to the right of that one, the one made of metal, contains dove droppings, and feathers. We’ll pick up one of the feathers. Let’s have a chat now.

Wilburavatar.jpg
Hello! I am Wilbur Wetterquarz, a gnome. I want to talk to the archmage.
Wuppermann.jpg
Hello, Wilbur! I am Francis the Magnificent!
Wilburavatar.jpg
Are you the showman my Master Markus told me about?
Wuppermann.jpg
I have no idea whom your Master told you about, but yes, I am a showman. Francis Phillip Wuppermann is my name, but people also call me Francis the Magnificent. I only keep this little carnival as a hobby, though – my main talent is divination! I can look into the future.
Wilburavatar.jpg
Can you really see into the future?
Wuppermann.jpg
Yes. People from far and wide come to me to ask about the future, and I give good advice for good money. They ask, will the bread prices rise? I say yes, then they all buy bread, then the bread price actually rises! Women ask me which color will be all the rage next summer, and if I tell them green, all the women will indeed wear green!
Wilburavatar.jpg
Will you tell me my future? But I have no gold…
Wuppermann.jpg
I see… that it will be free for you today. Let’s begin.

Book134Resized.png

Wilburavatar.jpg
Will I be able to solve all the tasks laid before me?
Wuppermann.jpg
No! You should go home and give up.
Wilburavatar.jpg
But then I’d have failed.
Wuppermann.jpg
Yes, and I’d have been right.
Wilburavatar.jpg
What will happen today?
Wuppermann.jpg
I see… darkness! The day will end with darkness.
Wilburavatar.jpg
I could’ve divined that, too…
Wuppermann.jpg
And you will play at my lucky wheel today, and you will ask yourself if you’d have done it even if I hadn’t predicted.
Wilburavatar.jpg
If you can look into the future, you could tell me… what question will I ask next?
Wuppermann.jpg
I… er… uh… oh crap, my connection has been severed! You know, my talent is very special, and some questions can scare it.
Wilburavatar.jpg
Hmmm… somehow I got the feeling that something isn’t entirely correct here.

Yeah, that guy is quite obviously a fraud. No wonder Markus said he earns his money by exploiting the stupidity of his customers.

Wilburavatar.jpg
What’s up with those cages?
Wuppermann.jpg
Well, once I earned my money with my little fair here, but since I’ve switched mainly to forseeing the future, they’re only my hobby. Except for the doves… I use them to bring messages to my customers all over the world. Most of my customers are people in faraway places…
Wilburavatar.jpg
Why is that?
Wuppermann.jpg
Well… let’s just say it’s good to be far away when one of my divinations turns out to be wrong.

Did I already mention this guy is very obviously a fraud? Well, yeah.

Wilburavatar.jpg
Do you think something’s wrong with the squirrel?
Wuppermann.jpg
Do you think so? Let me check…

Book136Resized.png

While he checks out the invisible pink squirrel, we’ll exchange his crystal ball with the one we picked up in Markus’ home…

Wuppermann.jpg
I hope nothing’s wrong with him. It’s such an amazing animal, don’t you think?
Wilburavatar.jpg
Err… yeah, very.

Let’s ask him to divine our future yet again…

Book137Resized.png

Wilburavatar.jpg
Er… Mr Wuppermann? Can you tell my future now?
Wuppermann.jpg
*nods*
Wilburavatar.jpg
Can you talk?
Wuppermann.jpg
*shakes head*

Ahhh. Markus’ crystal ball does seem to work much better than his own, but he can only nod and shake his head, which quite restricts the type of questions we can ask.

Wilburavatar.jpg
Will something bad happen to me during my adventures?
Wuppermann.jpg
*nods*
Wilburavatar.jpg
Will I be hurt?
Wuppermann.jpg
*nods*
Wilburavatar.jpg
Will I… die?
Wuppermann.jpg
*nods*
Wilburavatar.jpg
Urrrrgh!

Well, that’s an interesting revelation.

Wilburavatar.jpg
Will I meet the archmage and accomplish my mission?
Wuppermann.jpg
*shakes head*
Wilburavatar.jpg
But… then everything will have been for naught?
Wuppermann.jpg
*shakes head*

Hmm, interesting. We won’t meet the archmage, but we won’t fail our quest, either.

Wilburavatar.jpg
Will…
Wuppermann.jpg
Uuuh… sorry, Wilbur, I must’ve fallen asleep.
Wilburavatar.jpg
But… don’t you remember?
Wuppermann.jpg
Remember what?
Wilburavatar.jpg
Interesting… so this time he *did* actually see the future! But the number of questions I can ask is limited…

And that’s it for this update! Next time we play at his lucky wheel and win the game by having him tell us the results beforehand. :smug:

Hi,
I work for KING Art Games, the developer of this game. I found this interesting Let's Play (never seen a written one before) and am happy to announce, that there now is an English version of this game available. You can find info and buy a digital download at www.unwritten-tales.com
On the official site you can also download a demo, which is about 3 hours long.

But nonetheless, I would love to see the rest of the game as a written Let's Play. Please continue, JarlFrank! :)

spekkio

Arcane
Unfortunately, Jarl decided to abandon this LP due to distinctive lack of gay lesbian elf sex in the game.

Nothing that the sequel couldn't improve upon...

;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom