Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lewl

Spazmo

Erudite
Just cut the empty space to shorten it down height-wise. Otherwise, I like it. It's got more dignity than we do.

Thorndyke

Novice
rpgcodexr0x.jpg

The best thing is, I won't even charge you for this! But give me admin p0warz plz.

LordofFever

Novice
lmfao i think they're falling for it. @previous designs, no need to be overly critical, it isn't the prettiest design that's going to get people to come, as long as it has the same acess on the main page it will all be fine. The new version of the top bar looks really nice imho

Jed

Cipher
I like the last one a lot, RP! Even more if you'd left align the logo and cut the extra space above and below it.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Jed said:
I like the last one a lot, RP! Even more if you'd left align the logo and cut the extra space above and below it.

The logo and buttons aren't yet aligned because I'm still finishing up the content. While it's pretty much done, I'd still like to tinker with separators for the buttons, and still decide if I'll come up with some more background content. I decided to put up the picture to show how it's close to being, though its all still under scrutiny, ie, personally I think the banner is fine, but the fonts might have visibility problems (I might go with some sans serif font instead).

Though any and all content is pretty much up to the staff.

Tintin said:
Why are the bars floating?

Because the bars are set in a five line table which is sitting between the banner and the content table. Work in progress.

Jed

Cipher
RP, I've been playing with your last design, and I'm convinced that overall it's The One. Here's my minor alteration (hopefully for the better) of the layout.
xc3aa4zv.gif

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The big problem I have with RP's design is that the top part takes up WAY to much vertical screen. Once you add the banners and things, you're probably going to have to scroll down just to see the news even at 1600x1200.

Visbhume

Prophet
One little question that has been nagging me about the current design: what the hell is that spore-like thingy left of the main "RPG CODEX" title ? Is it the Ebola virus ? A bowling ball from Bizarroworld ? One of Hellraiser's "Lament Configurations" ? What has it to do with roleplaying ?

Spazmo

Erudite
It's a die from (I think) Roman times. We have a similar doohickey in the banner right now. This new one is a d12 instead of a d20, though.

Yeah, putting the big square ad in will be murder, but there's a lot of unnecessary empty space in that. Bring the two bars of buttons at the top right together. Less space between RPGCODEX and the tagline. And also, DU suggested someplace that we can do like DAC and put the big square ad underneath the first news item.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Whoa, feedback!

Actually I appreciate it, and I can see the problems with that design. Everyone's points were pretty spot on. That's why, even if I liked the graphical component, I'm pretty much scrapping that design and doing something. More compact, less crap cluttering the display, bare bones but still pretty good (or so I hope). Perhaps even with a shiny touch.

Now, if only I can find someone who knows Flash... :whistles:

Cheers :)

Whipporowill

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Now, if only I can find someone who knows Flash... :whistles:

Whoaa sonny... flash?! These guys will kill you for bringing such rubbish to their house. I like it, but I know better than to blurt it around. The eyes... tEH EYES!

If you're just doing an animated banner or a menu system, that wouldn't be much hassle - even if you don't know much to begin with.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Well, the idea would be to use it in two minute instances: one small animation tied into the banner (not the main one, though), and a menu system that would pretty much mean the end of two lines of *.gifs - one single bar, with shrinking and stretching lines depending on where you clicked, making it so you'd have to menus in one.

Had no other uses for Flash in the site that I could think of.

EDIT: I can PM you the example I saw in a website that made menus very attractive, simple and clean in my opinion.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
^That's pretty good, and much better handled than mine. The only problem I see is that it may be too Falloutesque. Even if the Codex's slogan could be "We Love Fallout!", having a Fallout theme seems to be better suited to a site like No Mutants Allowed because they mainly cover Fallout.

Though I guess using the same a variant of the old tech theme wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom