Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Logic Artists successor studio Campfire Cabal shut down by THQ Nordic

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is there a list of all the developers chasing the shitty NFT trend? I bet RG(LB) knows.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
(Pssst, Conquistador is pretty similar to its sequels and was received differently on the Codex because the culture wars™ hadn't started yet in 2013 and turn-based games were still pretty rare)
My point exactly. People on both sides of the conflict got really thin-skinned in recent years.
Pretty similar? You have a party. The combat is turn-based. That's about where the similarities end.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hey, are you in this picture?

Yes, and there are probably also more black people in this picture than there are female NPCs of note in the entirety of Vikangs.
If memory serves exactly half of the recruitable chars in Viking are female, just like in Conquistador.

You think enlightened Scandinavians would cut corners on equality you backward shitlord Potato?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Hey, are you in this picture?

Yes, and there are probably also more black people in this picture than there are female NPCs of note in the entirety of Vikangs.
If memory serves half of the recruitable chars in Viking are female, just like in Conquistador.

You think enlightened Scandinavians would be half-assing equality you backward shitlord Potato?
I only remember the fat widow and the young witch from your home town and the Scottish archer chick. Pretty sure any others you have to generate yourself, though I wouldn't put it past Codexers to create a full female party just to hate on something more.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Not to mention those females are more pleasant to look at(and her portraits were miles above any of those centurions portraits in Rome).

No, I'm not being racist. I'm just a straight male with good taste in art.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I only remember the fat widow and the young witch from your home town and the Scottish archer chick. Pretty sure any others you have to generate yourself, though I wouldn't put it past Codexers to create a full female party just to hate on something more.
The full roster of Viking RPCs:

8.png
7.png
6.png
5.png
4.png

3.png
2.png
1.png

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
the blondie bitch must have been a really memorable character because after seeing her pic i can only remember that she existed

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Similar to conquistador female vikings are 95% optional whether to recruit in your party, the 5% exception and only one semi forced on you is blondie who alongside the dude next to her are your childhood friends or something.
And one of the first dialogue options is to tell her to get back to the kitchen.

Seriously idc to defend rome on forced wokeness since black centurions is impossible to avoid, but for vikings and especially conquistador, how woke those games are is down to the player. Conquistador had no shortage of “based” options and there was more then a few sexism options so that you could have a full chud run, can’t remember if vikings was as heavy in them. And even rome did have quite a few “shutup your a woman” answers which most devs would never dare put in unless it was a prelude to painful karmatic retribution.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
You preferred Conquistador's slow-ass map painting and food micromanagement?
Unironically yes. The map painting was kinda the whole point of it even and how much you put into it directly manifested into the success of your expedition.
Food micromanagement less so but it was thematic and you could customise in the options how difficult or easy you wanted it.

Conquistador coming out as it is today indeed wouldn't work too well though, if only because it was made on a shoe string budget. FFS, perks were literally only added one month before the game came out and the devs weren't even sure they would be able to include them at all. Likewise even though the map isn't as full of interesting events as it could be, what is there is cool.
This game is very rough, practically a prototype, but the nexus of a good idea is there and it was doing something original, were conquistador rereleased with a real budget allocated to it and all its good ideas fully fleshed out we would have a real classic on our hands as opposed to a 7/10 flawed gem in the rough.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly if Expeditions: Rome was a great game, it would be even sadder that the company dissolved due to parts of the team becoming grifters wanting to exploit the NFT trend.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Viking had fewer overt strategy elements, but it compensated for that with an overly complicated character system
:what:

Complicated is not a word I would use to describe Viking's character system lol.

I think it's also a bit sad that Viking's launch went so poorly due to the buggy game state, despite it being a good game overall (and much better after patches) and one of the consequences of that was that Logic Artists went for a much more systemic approach to content in Rome than they did in Viking, where it was much more hand-placed / scripted content.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Out of the 3, Conquistador had the best syngergy between different layers. WIth subsequent releases they moved further and further towards RPG, making the strategy aspect redundant, which is precisely why everyone despies that shit.

I disagree here actually. I think Rome is actually a step away from Viking, and back towards Conquistador in a lot of cases. Not in every way, but it feels way more like Conquistador than Viking does - particularly with the combat being a lot more objective based. The strategic 'overland' minigame is completely different in all 3. Conquistador is like HoMM?, Rome is like Total War Lite, kind of I suppose. Again even though a world apart, Rome and Conquistador feel more similar there than Rome and Viking, I think.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I remember Viking as a traditional isometric cRPG with TB combat and map travel, p. much Fallout with Vikings. IIRC the "strategic" layer was fairly minimal and late-early game almost none of the features (safety, crafting etc.) mattered, except healing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom