Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LOL, KOTOR for iPad

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now you can play seven more times while you commute http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ipad-review?: ign/all (IGN All)

TAKE THE FORCE WITH YOU, ALWAYS.
→ MAY 29, 2013

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remains one of the best Star Wars games ever made, even 10 years after its original release. Read our 2003 review here. As such, there's no question about whether you should play it (yes! A thousand times yes!) but whether the iPad port's touch screen adaptation does it justice was uncertain... until now. Getting around can be a struggle, but this brilliant roleplaying game shines brightly on a mobile screen.

Tap to target. Simple.

Knights of the Old Republic is a classic-style BioWare RPG, and still stands up remarkably well. Though its action mechanics aren’t quite as polished as those of Mass Effect and Dragon Age, the characters, setting, and infamous plot twist are as well-delivered today as ever. The iPad’s touch interface is largely an improvement over the original, save for a few reservations. First, the good: the pause-and-play combat works like a charm, letting you select your attacks and items quickly. It's pulled off beautifully.

Navigating the menus and sorting equipment is also made mostly better by the advent of touch controls, except for a few instances like the Powers menu in which the icons are fairly small and the text is more difficult to read. The controls for conversation, on the other hand, can be slightly distracting. Since dialogue options correspond to a large, bubble-shaped numbers on the side of the screen, I had to find the proper response and then take a moment to finger-hunt for the correct number to go along with it.

If the new controls have one Achilles' Heel, though, it’s in the movement. Running from place to place involves dragging and then holding a finger to guide your Jedi in the proper direction. This inevitably blocks a significant chunk of the screen with your hand, and worse yet, makes for awkward running in general. It was not uncommon to find myself hitting pieces of the environment or my fellow party members, and then needing to turn and fumble my way out of that spot. This isn’t a problem during combat, at least, since movement is automated. A trio of brief turret sequences present similar imprecision, since tapping to shoot and dragging to move can’t be done simultaneously. A virtual stick may have actually been preferable in this case.

Inventory management made easy.

Still, the lack of on-screen controls makes for a simple, uncluttered interface that shows off the world, and the iPad’s display makes the colors pop nicely. Some pre-rendered cutscenes are muddy, however, and the auto-brightness setting would often leave some of the darker areas too murky to see much of anything. But once brightness is set manually, it's smooth sailing.

THE VERDICT
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic still holds up, and remains a must-play for younger players who didn’t catch it the first time around. Though the iPad version's touch controls make movement clumsy, most of its changes are for the better. If you haven’t played it before, or want to experience it again, this is a great way to do it.

Last edited:

Stabwound

Arcane
I guess Bioware is capable of releasing their own KOTOR: Enhanced Edition. Just what I've always wanted.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well you can click on enemies then wait until all the enemies die, for the most part, so it makes sense.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm actually looking forward to this. I want to see how badly it preforms on Dantooine. It had single digit frame rates even on machines vastly exceeding the recommended requirements if you didn't turn grass off (which only partially helped) because Bioware can't program.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Skyway must be thrilled by this news. Now he can play it 7 more times while traveling!

circ

Arcane
I'm actually looking forward to this. I want to see how badly it preforms on Dantooine. It had single digit frame rates even on machines vastly exceeding the recommended requirements if you didn't turn grass off (which only partially helped) because Bioware can't program.
I don't remember ever having problems on Dantooine.

deuxhero

Arcane
I don't remember ever having problems on Dantooine.

I don't blame you. We've all tried to block this game from our memory.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
An RPG so simple, easy and boring, it's a perfect fit for the tablet market!

Amn Nom

Learned
I was never a fan of this one (much preferred 2), but it could get more people interested in the genre who may otherwise not touch RPGs.

Well you can click on enemies then wait until all the enemies die, for the most part, so it makes sense.

Yeah, looks like it would be pretty playable with touch controls.

Better than Angry Birds.

AB is a casual physics game that doesn't pretend to be anything else beyond that, I don't get people's beef with it. You want the casuals to turn their attention to the games you like?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom