Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for good Indie games.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So, I'm looking for some more good indie games and figured this might be the place to ask. These are a few that I enjoyed massively.

Solium Infernum

solinf4.jpg.jpg

Nifty little strategy title with a very heavy boardgame vibe to it. Satan has left the building and you and the other demons are fighting over his throne.

World of Goo

world-of-goo.jpg

Physic puzzles where you get to play with slimy balls. Every codexer should love it.

Creeper World

creeper-world.jpg

Sure, it's a tower defense game but it's simple graphics and premises hide a devilishly difficult and addictive game. Kudos for the developer to think of using a fluid as the enemy.

Trine

trine-20090327035406607_640w.jpg

Somehow this reminds me of the best platformers of yesterday combined with fun little physics puzzles and extensive levels to explore.

Machinarium

machinarium.jpg

Who says that an indie game can't have wonderfull graphics? Apart from looking good and having devious puzzles this one really kept me up with its simple charm.

Braid

braid01.jpg

Simply a wonderfull game which takes the piss out of platformers, toys around with time and instantly hooked me.

So, what indie titles did the codex enjoy?

Black Cat

Magister
Bloody Hellsinker, Nya!

5892a510a26043c7d4f2be500afeb7a.jpg

This is the game that separates the wheat from the chaff. When that Rapture thingie comes to happen we will not be judged by how much of a saint we are nor because of how obedient of God's Law we are, but by how far we did got in Hellsinker, and woe to you who can't even defeat the Glorious Symbol without using a continue (Like me T_T)! You heard it there first, buddy buds. Start practicing.

Youtube video.

Best game EVER! And stuffies. Download the game from Doujinstyle or something since it's not like the japanese care.

Aquaria

aq-screen06.jpg

aq-screen10.jpg

You are a mermaid like thingie, but with legs, who goes around exploring a submarine world and trying to discover who she was, what happened there, and many other things. Lovely little game with lots of exploration of pretty places, puzzles like levels, and puzzle like bosses, and lots of cute fishes going around. Amazing and cool, even if totally non Codex so list it below guilty pleasures or something, or play it in the closet.

Homepage.

You can buy it. Maybe you should. Ahem.

Crescent Pale Mist

asgasgd.jpg

This game is kind of weird. You are this girl who explores those totally huge and maze like levels killing things that look right out of Castlevania or something. The real fun, though, begins once you reach the bosses and the battles turn into a combination of a bullet hell shoot 'em up, a beat 'em up with flying people, and a gothic dragon ball z. It's pretty amazing, and it has nice mood and good music.

JEWtube video of the first stage.

The first stage is just, like, an introductory boss fight with some slimes before it, and it is here right at the end of the Tutorial to allow you practicing. The second stage is the first super huge maze thingie, you can watch videos in JEWtube if you wanty want. You can get this game on Doujinstyle too, and the japanese still don't care. And, like, you will either need a translator software or a dictionary to understand the plot, it's all in moonspeak.

Lots of horror adventures, including all the games that bald brit who likes Ghost Stories made.

dark_fall_lost_souls-880034.jpg

Kowaii! T_T This would include Scratches, the Dark Fall games, the Loath Nolder games, that Outcry thingie, those Penumbra games, etc. Just visit Justadventure+ and ask around, or something.

Tails

Arbiter
Planet M.U.L.E. if you are interested in Multiplayer games. From time to time Ashery, poocolator, Satori Toxic and I are playing it over Hamachi.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Gragt said:
The Void.
When did Ice-Pick Lodge go indie?

Aquaria has a cool concept, but I found it to be unplayable because of the fucked up map that covers all areas except the one you're currently in with fog of war. Good luck remembering which parts you've already explored. An unforgivable flaw in a Metroidvania, considering that SotN got it right 13 years ago.

roll-a-die

Magister
Uplink is my rec other than that AAaaAAAAAaaaaaAAAA: A reckless Disregard for Gravity is pretty good as well

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Doujinstyle doesn't have downloads for either game you listed black cat.

And after watch that video, I must play CPM. Why aren't there a slew of games like that? That looks fucking awesome!

Black Cat

Magister
Really? I download most of my japanese stuffies from there, though sometimes you have to search for the one thread that has working download links in all the game and warez subforums, not just on the one that corresponds with the game's genre. But, like, let me see if i have mine at hand an i'll upload them somewhere, nya.

Edity Edit: Oh, wait. They remade Doujinstyle's site again?! :shock:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I managed to track down another place to download them anyways.

I still want to try that Gunster game that Hellsinker led me to notice though. There aren't any servers up for that except for testers are there?

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Trash, thanks for pointing out Solium Infernum. Spent some hard earned and bought a copy. Nearly didn't go to work today.

Will give Cortex Command a go to. Looks like fun.

Does anyone know if there is a website that lists or advertises indie games that have been released and ones that are in development also? A site like that would be pretty handy.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Gragt said:
KalosKagathos said:
When did Ice-Pick Lodge go indie?

As far as I know they are not tied to a publisher or some other parent company.
Nobody owns them, but Pathologic and The Void were funded by Buka and ND respectively. Both are major Russian publishers.

Jason

chasing a bee

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
KalosKagathos said:
Nobody owns them, but Pathologic and The Void were funded by Buka and ND respectively. Both are major Russian publishers.

Not being owned qualifies for being independent, even if they need to secure funding from other sources. Unless we decide that the meaning of the word must be total and that the game is completely developped and sold without any outside influence.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Gragt said:
Not being owned qualifies for being independent, even if they need to secure funding from other sources. Unless we decide that the meaning of the word must be total and that the game is completely developped and sold without any outside influence.
So Obsidian is an indie studio?

roll-a-die

Magister
No they are owned by Zenimax Media INC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom